Guest kimbale

Download the updated guide, version 1.0.3 has 2 or 3 different approaches of loading animation on the rig described.

None of them work. Else i wouldn't ask.

I tried any (even ridiculous) procedure, been at it for some hours. You make it sound like you've easily done what i tried, so i'm just asking you to elaborate.

The farthest i got is documented in the screenshots, that's: create empty .max, run HCT: vanilla hkx -> HCT: hkx32 -> hkx2fbx: fbx -> max: prefix with F4CAT_, rotate root 90° -> max: fbx export -> max: your rig .max file, F4CAT bound with RigConnector, CAT set to animation, update animation from .fbx

I tried just about everything differently on the way. Biped gets even more screwed, arms twist and non-rig bones go apeshit. 

I don't know havok file contents, just looked at some .xml'ed ones, so i couldn't check if there's a problem on the HCT->hkx2fbx stretch.

EDIT: Okay, downloaded the guide from nexus. Please tell people that you maintain the current version only on nexus. 

Works now, keyframed spine and limb fk did the trick.

I still have to rotate the animation (or the later the rig) +90° around z, should i flip axis on some fbx export to fix this?

I actually don't know about rotating. But I think you better do it before you import FBX file. Open FBX file in new scene (or better even to use MotionBuilder for this), rotate, save FBX into same scene. And then import it onto the rig.

If you're using the CAT Animation capture approach  - you can just import fbx and rotate it in the scene. Until you click "Capture" (or bake? whatever there is), the link between the rig and the skeleton is live, so you can rotate and move anything as you wish.

Mind that either of import approaches may not be 100% accurate, so if you just want to make a small edit into existing animation, I think it's better to just open the fbx file and edit it like that. Or, even better, use MotionBuilder or Maya HumanIK for this.

Actually, I'll make a MoBu preset file as well, and place it into the kit.

And actually thats a "OOPS", I guess I... noooo waaay, I updated the file here as well, probably some upload bug or something... ill check it out

EDIT:

Okay, yes, it did not update properly. The description said 1.0.3, but the file was still 1.0.2. Fixed.

Guest kimbale

Am i doing something wrong or does the 1.0.3 max scene have no hand ik? I can't set it to IK, it's stuck to FK - and well, animating arms without IK is ... fun.

Posing the rig works fine, IK and bindings seem to work but do not get keyed, at most i get some rotation on a single bone.

I'm pretty new to CAT, do i just set all parts of the arm rig to have the hand bone as IK target? Or just the farthest bone from the IK target? 

No, CAT is fine, it can't really be 'broken'.

To start animating you need to make sure it's switched to Animation mode on the Motion tab.

You also need to learn how to work with it's layers. It can only animate when there is at least one layer added. I think by default I added one layer, but you may have to do it again.

By default arms are in FK mode, but you can grab the wrist and move it as if it was IK. To work with actual IK target you need to click "Create IK Target" in the Motion tab. It will create the IK taget for you. Then you will be able to switch from FK to IK and vice versa.

Also, you can use new constraints with cat rig, for example constraint IK target to something, but all constraints work per-layer. So, for example you can have a base layer without constraints, but then add an Adjustment layer with some constraint or expression controller, and turn it on\off when you need. It's a really powerful concept.

http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/768-Introduction-to-CAT-in-3ds-Max

Here, you can take a look at this tutorial to get the idea. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kimbale

Im having a hard time adding annotations: I can't add notes to the Root track. Root doesn't show up on the dope sheet as it is no "object".

Your guide states that your scenes already have a annotation track, i couldn't find that either.

Adding annotation to other objects does nothing, it has to be on the Root for HCT to get it.

Yes, I actually forgot to add annotation track in the final version, sorry about that. It will be added in future versions. I'm not sure, but I think if you download the latest rig version, it should be there.

To show up in Dope sheet you need to select the "Root" joint, UNHIDE IT, and then it should appear in DopeSheet.

Guest kimbale

I didn't see it. As it's ROOT. As in before everything in the hierarchy.... xD

Anyways, i got it working, weapon animations and similar stuff works fine.

I'm still having the 90° root thing though. And somehow the weapon bones are pretty screwed when i import vanilla animations, the hands too.

I posted a picture of the weird hand stuff before afair. Do i have to change some settings there too (IK/FK or similar)?

I may have to add the weaponassemblypose, i'll try that next time.

I didn't see it. As it's ROOT. As in before everything in the hierarchy.... xD

Anyways, i got it working, weapon animations and similar stuff works fine.

I'm still having the 90° root thing though. And somehow the weapon bones are pretty screwed when i import vanilla animations, the hands too.

I posted a picture of the weird hand stuff before afair. Do i have to change some settings there too (IK/FK or similar)?

I may have to add the weaponassemblypose, i'll try that next time.

It's not before everything in the hierarchy of the scene, it's the first object of the game skeleton hierarchy. If you're using max 2015, switch scene explorer into hierarchy mode, and everything will become plain as day. If you're using max prior to 2015, then you're stuck with scene explorer as the only way to view the hierarchy. 

Is there any scewing when you try to import animation on Biped or CAT rig, or on just the bones? Try detaching skeleton from the rig and importing vanilla animation like that. If that works fine, you can then use the retargeting approach of importing animation from the game skeleton on the CAT rig and then attach the skeleton back to the rig, as described in the guide. But if animation is till skewed after you import it from FBX file onto game skeleton (before moving it to cat) then I don't know what's causing it.

Guest kimbale

*snip*

It's not before everything in the hierarchy of the scene, it's the first object of the game skeleton hierarchy. If you're using max 2015, switch scene explorer into hierarchy mode, and everything will become plain as day. If you're using max prior to 2015, then you're stuck with scene explorer as the only way to view the hierarchy. 

Is there any scewing when you try to import animation on Biped or CAT rig, or on just the bones? Try detaching skeleton from the rig and importing vanilla animation like that. If that works fine, you can then use the retargeting approach of importing animation from the game skeleton on the CAT rig and then attach the skeleton back to the rig, as described in the guide. But if animation is till skewed after you import it from FBX file onto game skeleton (before moving it to cat) then I don't know what's causing it.

I was just too brainfarty, is more what i am saying. ^^ 

The vanilla skeleton animations work fine on just the skeleton. It gets weird when i try to use them with the rig(s) and i tried any possible way of connecting/importing. I guess i'm missing something about the rig controls again. I'm halfway proficient with only the UE4 rig, i guess i gotta learn some more stuff about CAT.

The rig looks weird as the rig objects do not align with the bones - it works fine, just irritates me. (See screenshot)

The weapon bones, on the other hand, are flying all over the place ingame, exploding weapons when used. I'll try with the WPNAssemblyPose, i'm guessing that needs to be added weapon-specific too.

EDIT: First person animations make the cam point down. I've tried rotating the head/neck bones as MaikCG wrote, but to no avail. I'll see if it's a vanilla "problem" or if i'd add cam rigging (could be useful for animating scenes too). Or it's blending, did anyone find out how stuff is stacked?

post-177332-0-42140700-1473067797_thumb.png

I think it has something to do with cams. There are two cameras in the scene. One is in the head, another one is under char's legs pointing down. Try exchanging their names. Maybe I messed up their names. Nif importer does not import camera names properly from what I gather.

The fact that CAT rig bones are not aligned with the actual skeleton after importing vanilla animation is actually described in the guide. It's said there, that yes, there is this bug, but it will work fine and I don't know how to fix it yet.

The only solution is to use another import approach, which is also described in the Guide. One is adding a prefix to the bones in FBX file, which you're probably using. I did not check why this is happening, I think it has something to do with how CAT handles joint proportions. Another one is to import animation on the game skeleton and then use CAT's animation retargeting tool to retarget animation from game skeleton on CAT rig. Please check the guide. And learn a bit more about how rigs work in general.

• 1 month later...

Yay! Maybe we'll finally get some feminine movement animations.  Bethesda makes a good game, but their animations leave a lot to be desired.

fingers crossed!

Guest kimbale

Because I'm too lazy to find Havok Content Tools for max 2016, I assume It'll be fine if I save for max 2012 for which I have HCT?

No. You need HCT 2014, 64 bit.

Because I'm too lazy to find Havok Content Tools for max 2016, I assume It'll be fine if I save for max 2012 for which I have HCT?

No. You need HCT 2014, 64 bit.

Oh so you're saying I need to use minimum of Max 2014 with HCT 2014? In that case I may as well get HCT 2016 for max 2016, if anyone has a link shoot me a message please and thank you.

Oh so you're saying I need to use minimum of Max 2014 with HCT 2014? In that case I may as well get HCT 2016 for max 2016, if anyone has a link shoot me a message please and thank you.

Actually, you need exactly HCT 2014 to work with Fallout files, but it should be compatible with Max 2012->2016 (not sure about 2016, but I think it works).

Oh I see, thanks for the clarification. Then, if anyone has access to HCT 2014, please throw a link my way. Thank you.

Sorry, but this is not acceptable for LoversLab rules.

HCT is NOT freely available.

Oh I see, thanks for the clarification. Then, if anyone has access to HCT 2014, please throw a link my way. Thank you.

Sorry, but this is not acceptable for LoversLab rules.

HCT is NOT freely available.

But it's not copyrighted, it's just been permanently taken down? If it were they'd be reclaiming all the copies floating around, and IIRC during the change it was stated the copies that are currently around are free to use? http://www.havok.com/about-havok/ Seems acceptable to me?

But it's not copyrighted, it's just been permanently taken down? If it were they'd be reclaiming all the copies floating around, and IIRC during the change it was stated the copies that are currently around are free to use? http://www.havok.com/about-havok/ Seems acceptable to me?

This discussion already happened. Basically Havok removed the free HCT from the market and the license never allowed sharing in the first place, so technically asking for/sharing publicly the HCT is illegal, and not welcome on this site.

I know it's a bummer, but I'd hate to give people any reason to shut LL down.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm sorry for asking a newb question.

So let's say I want to import a creatures skeleton, it's all fine and dandy until I use havok2fbx to convert the skeleton. If I use the one included, the animations don't come out -- so I assume I have to use the creatures skeleton, but when I try with the skeleton.hkx -- it just crashes, which makes me assume I have to convert the skeleton.hkx to 32bit.

How would I go about this? I read over the guide and I'm not really understanding.

So far I've tried loading the configuration in the havok content tools and then applying my custom rig.txt in the create skeleton filter and running configuration, but that gives me nothing usable and still crashes.

Also, for some reason whenever I try launching f4ak_hkxpack_ui it crashes with "R6043 An application has made an error to load the C runtime library incorrectly." -- I do have vcredist etc installed.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide, I look forward to messing with creature animations!

• 1 year later...
On 7/29/2016 at 5:47 AM, ShadeAnimator said:

Now using F4AK Rig Connector, disconnect and connect everything again. If you named everything correctly, it should find the joint and connect it. It will only connect Orientation by default, so you may have to add Position Constraint manually.

I was able to use your guide to import a vanilla animation into 3DSMax.

Now, I am trying to use F4AK Rig Connector to attach a rig to it.

These are the steps I'm taking:

1) Select all objects underneath Root.

2) Add a prefix: literally "xyz_"

3) Go to MaxScript > Run Script, find F4AK Rig Connector script and select it

4) Change the prefix to "xyz_"

5) Select connect (I have also tried disconnect)

Both connect and disconnect result in the error:

-- Unknown property: "modifiers" in undefined

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?