[Custom Outfit] Accessory not showing up in-game ?

Hey guys,

I'm having a lil issue here with a custom outfit.

I'm trying to add a holster along with a revolver. The revolver that came with the original holster had crappy textures so I simply went in Fallout 4 files and got the .44 magnum meshes.

Under Outfit Studio everything is good, however in-game for some reason, the gun doesn't appear in the holster. In fact, it's nowhere at all !

I was wondering if it's linked to a data that dictates if a mesh is part of an outfit or not (like in Skyrim, BSSkin Instance I think ?).

At the moment I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the meshes but so far I don't have much of a clue. Does anybody know or encountered similar problem ?

Thanks in advance !

I have never figured out how outfit studio works - I usually like to use nifskope on any armors that I have modified.  (Mostly, I guess, I get frustrated with the design of bodyslide because I keep thinking it should do some things differently - but actually writing something to do that is a lot of work that I have not motivated myself to do...)

So, I guess I should ask: how does this look in nifskope?

I have never figured out how outfit studio works - I usually like to use nifskope on any armors that I have modified.  (Mostly, I guess, I get frustrated with the design of bodyslide because I keep thinking it should do some things differently - but actually writing something to do that is a lot of work that I have not motivated myself to do...)

Same as in Outfit Studio, I use mostly OS for modifying shapes more efficiently, it's more easy to use and more precise in what you can do.

But for fixing meshes and editing other stuff, Nifskope is more suited indeed. Haven't seen anything obviously wrong so far, unless I'm mistaken.

I'd need the NIF so I can see if I can find anything weird. :)

(reply to this so I'll get notified)

You can always drop a comment with suggestions and thoughts on the mod page.

Thanks man that's very kind of you, I tried to see under Nifskope if I could do something about it but no idea what's wrong with the meshes. I took the model from the weapons meshes, so that may explain why it doesn't appear ?

Anyway here's the NIF, the revolver is on the left side when you open Nifskope/OS and thanks again for the help !

GearAccessories.nif

Thanks man that's very kind of you, I tried to see under Nifskope if I could do something about it but no idea what's wrong with the meshes. I took the model from the weapons meshes, so that may explain why it doesn't appear ?

Anyway here's the NIF, the revolver is on the left side when you open Nifskope/OS and thanks again for the help !

When you use something from a static mesh (weapons are static as well), then you have to convert it to a skinned mesh first.

You have to do that in Outfit Studio.

Double-click each of the three Magnum shapes, go to the Geometry tab and check "Skinned".

Then copy bone weights from the body to the three shapes.

You can always drop a comment with suggestions and thoughts on the mod page.

Which mod page?

I want something like outfit studio where I can take an outfit and a body shape and mostly work with vertices moving along surface normals and mostly retaining the same distance from the body (and variations on this, like scaled distance). And, also, a similar mode where anything inside the body but near the surface gets pushed out to the edge.. There's a couple techniques that can be used to get those normals, though there's one bit of the matchup of vertices to normals, especially near joints, which seems really time consuming and ugly which is where I keep getting stalled... I keep thinking I could use the animation (bone) weights, but again I have not had the motivation to work through that. Or maybe it would need a ui to play with / fix that kind of thing?

Or maybe that is already in outfit studio and I just have not recognized it??

Anyways, I don't hit those mod pages enough to sustain my side of a useful conversation about this kind of thing. So I guess maybe in a few years I might work up enough motivation to get something like this working...

When you use something from a static mesh (weapons are static as well), then you have to convert it to a skinned mesh first.

Double-click each of the three Magnum shapes, go to the Geometry tab and check "Skinned".

Aaaah so I was on the right path yesterday, I saw that every part of the outfit had that Skinned thing checked but the revolver ! Thanks a lot I'll give it a shot later this evening :)

Mmh sorry to bother you again but it seems I'm doing something wrong :

I check "Skinned" for all three shapes, then I go to the bones tab, select all the bones weights from the body, then go back the to Meshes tab, select each Magnum shape and "Copy Selected Weights", however once I want to save I get a message saying "at least one vertex has no weight assigned to it", I'm like.. wut I just did that XD

I check "Skinned" for all three shapes, then I go to the bones tab, select all the bones weights from the body, then go back the to Meshes tab, select each Magnum shape and "Copy Selected Weights", however once I want to save I get a message saying "at least one vertex has no weight assigned to it", I'm like.. wut I just did that XD

Bone weights sometimes need manual adjustment after being copied, because the mesh could be too far away from the reference.

In this case, it would actually be better to paint the weights from scratch, as guns aren't supposed to bend.

So what you can do, instead of copying weights, is to select a bone near the area where the gun is located and paint the gun red with the weight brush (full influence).

Maybe you can check out some other outfits that have guns attached to them to see how they painted them (I think there's some equipable gun mods or so).

Bone weights sometimes need manual adjustment after being copied, because the mesh could be too far away from the reference.

In this case, it would actually be better to paint the weights from scratch, as guns aren't supposed to bend.

So what you can do, instead of copying weights, is to select a bone near the area where the gun is located and paint the gun red with the weight brush (full influence).

Maybe you can check out some other outfits that have guns attached to them to see how they painted them (I think there's some equipable gun mods or so).

Aye, I found one mod with weapon meshes : http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11662/?

Made the whole thing way more easier for me :P

Thank you

Archived