On 9/7/2020 at 9:17 AM, nonusnomeni said:

483e6b07-c5d4-4dc5-9c59-324c4dc41443.jpg

( new school uniforms )

I'm sad that I know all the designations for the NBC suits and they're wearing, and for the specific environments that each mask is used for.

• The masks in the pic are the Soviet ShM-62 and ShM-62u masks, which are the civilian counterparts of the Soviet ShM-41 military mask.
  • The black mask is used for hotter temperatures as black rubber is more durable in hot environments. During the existence of the Soviet Union, these were likely to be issued to civilians in republics with hotter climates, such as: Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.
  • The white mask (the one in the pic has yellowed) is used for everywhere else. The only difference between the Shm-62 and the ShM-62u is that the latter uses less rubber.
  • The NBC suit in the pic (in this case, cloak?) is designated the "OZK". Not sure about the mittens though.
  • If you own this mask as well, don't use the GP-5 filter canisters (the green canisters that screw into the mask). Many tests on their contents have confirmed that they contain asbestos in the particulate filter layer. Anyone who sells these filters and claims that "its just activated carbon/charcoal" is lying and is scamming you because they just want money. This is often seen on eBay.

In the event that you get the GP-5 filter with your mask, make sure that it is sealed with rubber gasket and cap, and check if nothing falls out when you shake it over a white piece of paper. If nothing comes out, don't throw it away. Put it in a plastic bag instead, and store it. These are historical items and it's frowned upon to dispose of them without reason. 

If it DOES have things falling out, call your local department of waste management and inquire on how to dispose of it. DON'T throw away items that contain asbestos by dumping them into your garbage or recycling cans outside your house, as it is a federal crime to dispose of them that way.

Note: if you have no idea why asbestos is bad, its because it causes cancer [mesothelioma] and asbestosis. Don't try to complete the GP-5 Challenge Huffing test.

'How do I know this shit' you ask?

I own some of 'this shit' (I don't own an OZK though. I have an East German SBA-1 NBC suit instead.)

What I currently own:

• 2 ShM-62 masks (w/ bags, spare lenses)
  • 1 Soviet 40mm GOST filter (Don't ever use these, as they contain white asbestos in the cotton layer. Go buy a modern and new mask [or a post-soviet modern GOST-threaded filter] if you're actually going to use it)
  • 2 Polish military FP-5 filters (one is 40mm GOST thread, not sure about the other.)

Anyways, funny image, I laughed.