Why do modders update their mods five or six times with each update?

SlyCoopersButt

Each change to the OP counts as a mod "update" even when the actual file hasn't changed.

So if I upload a new file, that's one update notification.

Then 30 seconds later I realize that I forgot to add a note on the page about a new requirement.

A few seconds after that, I find a spelling error and correct it.

Then I add a link to a changelog or something.

Maybe later someone points out that the file I uploaded is corrupt, or is missing something important, so I've got to repackage and reupload.

That's five "updates" that basically consist of one new upload and three text changes.

I admit, some authors are more prolific about it - occasionally you'll see a dozen in what looks like a five-minute timespan. But it's all because changes to the OP count as updates.

You get a notification when a file is updated and a notification everytime the post is edited and saved.  The additional notifications for that mod update is likely from the author going back and editing out mistakes or adding info he/she forgot to include the first time.

EDIT

Got ninja'd by Content Consumer.

Each change to the OP counts as a mod "update" even when the actual file hasn't changed.

So if I upload a new file, that's one update notification.

Then 30 seconds later I realize that I forgot to add a note on the page about a new requirement.

A few seconds after that, I find a spelling error and correct it.

Then I add a link to a changelog or something.

Maybe later someone points out that the file I uploaded is corrupt, or is missing something important, so I've got to repackage and reupload.

That's five "updates" that basically consist of one new upload and three text changes.

I admit, some authors are more prolific about it - occasionally you'll see a dozen in what looks like a five-minute timespan. But it's all because changes to the OP count as updates.

Don't forget formatting.

If the upload page had a preview like the posts have, that will solve a lot of the false update notifications, because the uploaders would be able to preview their upload before ... well uploading it.

Archived