(Open question) Where we could place mods in Fallout 4 map ?

Delzaron

Hi

As you saw, the fallout 4 map is very full of buildings and stuff.

Mods means we will need to place buildings, vaults, etc... in that map.

So, in attempt to optimize our mod creation and avoiding conflicts, where are the best areas for placing mods in fallout 4 map ?

• Boston seems out of question : too full
  • Cambridge is full too
  • Salem is empty, but far
  • Lexington seems a good compromize
  • There is also the area in the east, near the MedTeck research center
  • The south of Boston is empty...
  • The coast can be questionned. We could also create new islands, connected to commonwealth by bridges.

Do not forget we have 2 DLC's still to come both of them could add new indoor and outdoor locations, the Vault 1 adds a new vault in one area, nukaworld could well be another land mass like far harbour is or could be somewhere on the main map.  My guess would be it will be the same as far harbour a new location with fast travel links to the commonwealth, or possibly an island type location out on the east of the map in all the water.

Though as long as each modder clearly documents somewhere in there description where and what they change it should not be too much of a problem, there is a lot of empty space in the north and middle areas of the map after all.

Imo just build a new land to be safe. I am a noob at f4 modding but I also build actual a small-new world for a follower mod that I may bring out (in a few months at the earliest).

In the worst case, you just have later to change the entrance "door" to your new world (should Bethesda change the vanilla world in your modded vanilla-gamepart).

I always thought it would be a beautiful project to create the basic of a new landscape, not quest, no building, just a few road, river and hills, then divide it in parcels. Then just give it for modders to put what they want on each parcel; Maybe with a separate website, and a wiki of all mod that use which parcel. Once all parcels are taken, rinse and repeat with a new landscape. Now, you have a wonderful whole new map free of content that could potentially become a big expansion, made from multiple mods.

the though of processing all that into the game is making my brain hurt.

I always thought it would be a beautiful project to create the basic of a new landscape, not quest, no building, just a few road, river and hills, then divide it in parcels. Then just give it for modders to put what they want on each parcel; Maybe with a separate website, and a wiki of all mod that use which parcel. Once all parcels are taken, rinse and repeat with a new landscape. Now, you have a wonderful whole new map free of content that could potentially become a big expansion, made from multiple mods.

Why? I have no knowledge about modding so I don't actually know why It would be that hard to put together. I mean, with falskaar, we've proved new land a whole new map can be created, with mod modifying skyrim, or falskaar, we know it can be altered... What would make it so impossible to put together? I can see a lot of issue bout updating it, but not doing it at 1st. I don't think it should be multiple mods (each modifying the base landscape) but taking the mods, then putting them in a single bundle.

Dont you think the problem stems from the fact that you dont know about modding?

Look modders need different things and dealing with world cells is more complicated.

Falksaar was mostly a one man operation also please dont use the term WE because I have no idea who you mean by we.

Inside the map boundaries it would be great to have a freighter, waterworld style(just a floating rusting hulk)   There's more than enough water to make that happen.

if it's possible to play with the map boundaries, maybe E/SE of Somerville Place?  The map has that weird slant to across the bottom, I haven't explored it to see if they made the map square or just large enough to make it look complete.  If the map is square there would be tons of room to place things.

Why? I have no knowledge about modding so I don't actually know why It would be that hard to put together. I mean, with falskaar, we've proved new land a whole new map can be created, with mod modifying skyrim, or falskaar, we know it can be altered... What would make it so impossible to put together? I can see a lot of issue bout updating it, but not doing it at 1st. I don't think it should be multiple mods (each modifying the base landscape) but taking the mods, then putting them in a single bundle.

You will see several modders argue for one place to setup their building.

And several mods of different art style share a small area

Archived