Where are you from?

My ancestry too ranges all over.  Some Russian, German, English, Italian, Irish, god knows what else going back enough.  Tiny bit of Lakota (Sioux) and Cherokee one from each side.  I just go with 'mutt' mostly.  Simpler.  :P

Was born in Illinois, lived in Wisconsin since my late 20s, and try to travel as many places as life allows.

Oh, those are US states for anyone who may not know.  ^_^

49 minutes ago, Kitty said:

My ancestry too ranges all over.  Some Russian, German, English, Italian, Irish, god knows what else going back enough.  Tiny bit of Lakota (Sioux) and Cherokee one from each side.  I just go with 'mutt' mostly.  Simpler.  :P

Was born in Illinois, lived in Wisconsin since my late 20s, and try to travel as many places as life allows.

Oh, those are US states for anyone who may not know.  ^_^

I call myself the same. My father was Polish, Ukrainian, Irish and French. My mother is Russian (though my grandfather never spoke-it was German) and English. 
I have lived in Alberta all my life. When I went to a wedding in Wisconsin couple years back, I was seriously asked if there was a culture shock. Heck no... It's pretty damn similar lol There are a few differences, but nothing substantial. I didn't even hear an accent from them.
Also, we straight up learn about the US in school... lol (country, politics, economy, colonization, Industrial Revolution, civil war, Underground Railroad, etc etc.) Among other countries, but not to the extent of Canada or US.

1 minute ago, arliel said:

I call myself the same. My father was Polish, Ukrainian, Irish and French. My mother is Russian (though my grandfather never spoke-it was German) and English. 
I have lived in Alberta all my life. When I went to a wedding in Wisconsin couple years back, I was seriously asked if there was a culture shock. Heck no... It's pretty damn similar lol There are a few differences, but nothing substantial. I didn't even hear an accent from them.
Also, we straight up learn about the US in school... lol (country, politics, economy, colonization, Industrial Revolution, civil war, Underground Railroad, etc etc.) Among other countries, but not to the extent of Canada or US.

LOL Culture shock.  xD

About the only trouble I've ever had adapting while in Canada was trying to figure out whether or not cashiers gave me correct change.  I'm not sure if this is still fairly common, but when we'd done some bike trips through/across there years back, we'd spend US $, and they'd very often give back some mixture in both US and Canadian.

We rarely ever had a clue if it was "correct" or not.  We just shrugged and adopted a "close enough" perspective.  So long as we were pretty sure it was within $5 - $10 (in either denomination) it would do.  ?

I'd like to know where you were for that wedding though and go smap those people.  While I'm no 'cheese-head' (don't even get me going lol), I've lived here a long time, mainly at my residence which is actually at the south end near Illinois, but we also own a 'cabin' (read: small house) way up on the Wolf River which is like 40 minutes by car out of Green Bay, so I've got experience with a range of people all over the state.  Most I run into are smart enough to know that Canada gets a bit more snow... some parts of it have things we would never call "roads" (try taking a motorcycle all the way to Alaska some time.  --I'm not sure deer and moose will travel some of THOSE roads xD), and depending which part you're in you may get a heavy French influence, or find they're a little more prone to that "eh?" thing after every 6 words or so (though not MUCH more than northern Wisconsin or Minnesota really).  But otherwise, if you didn't need to stop at the border checkpoint and weren't paying close attention to the map (GPS), you'd probably be there for hours without even knowing you'd "crossed the border"  lol  Too funny...  Culture shock.  ?

16 minutes ago, Kitty said:

I'd like to know where you were for that wedding though and go smap those people. 

Between Milwaukee and Chicago. So, basically near the southern border of Wisconsin, I guess...lol

"...and they'd very often give back some mixture in both US and Canadian."

Even when receiving US cash, I've never actually given back any change in USD. Only happened a handful of times as well. We (as far as I know) usually just have CAD in our tills... haha...?‍♀️ But perhaps part of the reason is that a lot of people use either debit or credit now.

"some parts of it have things we would never call "roads"" 
Ice roads....?

"more prone to that "eh?" thing"
I use "eh" ? But not often,... that I know of....

I honestly haven't travelled much. Lack of funds is a good excuse. Would like to, but things keep coming up. One of these days I might just say Eff it! haha
But of the few places I have been, the only culture shock was from Ethiopia. Didn't help that we happened to get there just as the government let the media (finally) announce that the President had died. (He was President for much longer than presidents normally are, and the news of his passing was kept quiet for at least a week, though everyone basically knew.)
Anyway, yeah, pretty different. Three days of wedding is exhausting... lol I would like to see more, though, if I ever got a chance.  Be more of a tourist in a sense, though, and actually go see things.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, beefers said:

Texas is making it's own mess without any help.

I'm in British Columbia, Canada.

Ladies and Gentlemen!!!!  Presenting a Prince of the Necromancers!!!!!!!! 

( to be king of the necromancers, look for an 8+ yr old post to resurrect ... )

Dude, nice resurrection of 5 year old post.  And I agree, TX leadership is making a right mess of TX.