Windows 10 - How to close Skyrim when it crashes?

Skewered

In Windows 7 I was still able to use Task Manager and close out Skyrim if it crashed.

In Windows 10 I can run Task Manager, and see it in the taskbar, but the Task Manager window seems to be hidden behind the crashed Skyrim window.

Sometimes there is the FootIK error message, and if I close that then Skyrim closes with it.  Otherwise, I seem to be stuck having to log out to close Skyrim.

Any advice?

Guest MonsterFish

If you have to, cntrl-alt-delete and log out/switch user but then cancel before it gets the chance. This should exit a load of programs and likely Steam, but it's the only way I have managed to find that works.

I didn't know the "always on top" existed, thanks. I bring up the task manager then, because the mouse stays in the taskbar, i move skyrim to a different desktop and then close it via the taskmanager from there.

In Windows 7 I was still able to use Task Manager and close out Skyrim if it crashed.

In Windows 10 I can run Task Manager, and see it in the taskbar, but the Task Manager window seems to be hidden behind the crashed Skyrim window.

Sometimes there is the FootIK error message, and if I close that then Skyrim closes with it.  Otherwise, I seem to be stuck having to log out to close Skyrim.

Any advice?

My advice, go back to Windows 7.

Very usefull CMD command:

TASKKILL /F /IM TESV.exe

Works with the EXE name. Because it kills every process and not just one, very usefull if ENBhost acts up and spams 500 windows.

If you are very prone to crashing you can create a BAT file, do a Shortcut and make it execute with a Key Combo. But the Key Combo might not work while in Fullscreen. Just ALT-TAB and then it will work.

I did that for quitting very fast when I debugging Fallout4 crashes.

And you can put multiple games/apps into the BAT. One Killswitch for Skyrim, Fallout, ...

Archived