Question for the Ladies, "Will you buy lingerie from a guy?"

PsychoMachina

Sounds strange, but the question is legit.  For the past month i have been job-hunting without success.  Last week I saw a job opening for Sales Assistant at Victoria's Secret and thought, "Why Not?", so I applied even though I do not have retail experience.

So I'm curious if any of the female members here would have any trepidation with purchasing VS products from a male salesperson.  Also, any pointers on how you prefer to be interacted with.  If I'm hired, I don't want to be scaring away the customers.

I am a guy, but I do know that a lot of women would feel uncomfortable shopping for intimate apparel with a male sales associate.  It isn't anything against you in particular, but there aren't many women that feel comfortable talking about their sexuality with strange men.  Strange women are ok usually.  Some are a little uncomfortable about it, but usually can handle it.  

A lot has to do with the discomfort talking about things with men that we don't really have any frame of reference on as well.  Like bras.  Which bra is more comfortable, how the cup feels.  Will the straps dig into your shoulders...

Wait...why do I know these things!?!?  Oh.  That's right.  I have several Queen friends.  :D

Seriously.  It will be a challenge.  HOWEVER don't give up.  It can be done.  There are some very popular male sales associates in intimate apparel...Granted a lot of them are gay or crossdressers, but still.  If you come off as confident, and not creepy about it, you should be fine.

Sounds strange, but the question is legit.  For the past month i have been job-hunting without success.  Last week I saw a job opening for Sales Assistant at Victoria's Secret and thought, "Why Not?", so I applied even though I do not have retail experience.

So I'm curious if any of the female members here would have any trepidation with purchasing VS products from a male salesperson.  Also, any pointers on how you prefer to be interacted with.  If I'm hired, I don't want to be scaring away the customers.

Sural Arognus is correct, few women would.  I wouldn't be, but depends what I'm talking about, could be a bit embarrassing :P  But I think it would be fun and interesting, and definitely go for it!  As for pointers on how to approach, well I should imagine you would be tactful, the fact that you asked this kind of question shows you would be considerate :)  If you haven't had retail experience, you'll soon learn and get a feel (no pun intended lol) for customers, what they like, how they like to be approached (like myself, if someone has a sense of humour that helps, knows his stuff, and is helpful as well as considerate)... this kind of knowledge you'll pick up as you go along.  Good luck with the job :D

I hate to put it this way, but if you DO get the job...you might have to learn as much as you can about the products you sell.  Which includes how things feel.  Just so you can explain a little better to the customers.  Maybe not exactly going so far as to WEARING the items, but feeling them against your skin, just so you can at least get some sort of frame of reference.  Tho if you really want to go the extra mile, I am sure you could.  hahah

I hate to put it this way, but if you DO get the job...you might have to learn as much as you can about the products you sell.  Which includes how things feel.  Just so you can explain a little better to the customers.  Maybe not exactly going so far as to WEARING the items, but feeling them against your skin, just so you can at least get some sort of frame of reference.  Tho if you really want to go the extra mile, I am sure you could.  hahah

:lol:  :lol: yes, he could ask for testers, just for testing purposes, purely research *cough*  

I am a guy, but I do know that a lot of women would feel uncomfortable shopping for intimate apparel with a male sales associate.  It isn't anything against you in particular, but there aren't many women that feel comfortable talking about their sexuality with strange men.  Strange women are ok usually.  Some are a little uncomfortable about it, but usually can handle it.  

A lot has to do with the discomfort talking about things with men that we don't really have any frame of reference on as well.  Like bras.  Which bra is more comfortable, how the cup feels.  Will the straps dig into your shoulders...

Wait...why do I know these things!?!?  Oh.  That's right.  I have several Queen friends.   :D

Seriously.  It will be a challenge.  HOWEVER don't give up.  It can be done.  There are some very popular male sales associates in intimate apparel...Granted a lot of them are gay or crossdressers, but still.  If you come off as confident, and not creepy about it, you should be fine.

I have been thinking about this.  I can do my best to earn their trust, but I think that will only take me so far.  I'm sure they would want a female employee to take their measurements.

Btw, I know how to take measurements to find the right bra size.

Did you know Victoria's Secret was started by a guy (with help from his wife) for the purpose of making it easier for men to buy lingerie for their wives/girlfriends?

<snip>

Sural Arognus is correct, few women would.  I wouldn't be, but depends what I'm talking about, could be a bit embarrassing :P  But I think it would be fun and interesting, and definitely go for it!  As for pointers on how to approach, well I should imagine you would be tactful, the fact that you asked this kind of question shows you would be considerate :)  If you haven't had retail experience, you'll soon learn and get a feel (no pun intended lol) for customers, what they like, how they like to be approached (like myself, if someone has a sense of humour that helps, knows his stuff, and is helpful as well as considerate)... this kind of knowledge you'll pick up as you go along.  Good luck with the job :D

In all honesty, I applied because I need a job and since they did not state 'previous retail experience preferred', I figured I could use this opportunity to learn retail.

:lol:  :lol: yes, he could ask for testers, just for testing purposes, purely research *cough*  

It would be a challenge to know how a bra (or even panties) feel like on their respective areas of the body without actually knowing how they feel.  I'm not going to wear them and anyway I'm quite hairy so I'll likely tear-up the fabric. :blink:

I was looking through their website, yeah, much to learn about the different product lines if I need to be of any help to a customer.

Guest MonsterFish
Did you know Victoria's Secret was started by a guy (with help from his wife) for the purpose of making it easier for men to buy lingerie for their wives/girlfriends?

Did you also know that that same guy killed himself after selling the stocks at a low price and seeing it skyrocket on the stock market?

As a woman I would not have a problem, but that's me...would see a man as just another Sales Assistant I can ask for help from, so long as his as careful about the measurements as most Sales Women are, not touching me inappropriately, I'm all good then. Then agai, I'm an older woman (46), so that may have a lot to do with it.

It was the basis for the terrible joke:

I know what Victoria's Secret is...Victoria is a MAN!

It would be a challenge to know how a bra (or even panties) feel like on their respective areas of the body without actually knowing how they feel.  I'm not going to wear them and anyway I'm quite hairy so I'll likely tear-up the fabric.  :blink:

I was looking through their website, yeah, much to learn about the different product lines if I need to be of any help to a customer.

That was meant to be a tongue in cheek joke, but true.  The best you could probably do is feel the fabric on bare skin.  Unless a coworker would be willing to share their insight. 

Guest MonsterFish

I think a woman who is confident enough to walk into Victorias Secret and buy things rather than to order them discretely online is confident enough to not give a fuck if the person she's buying it from is a woman or a 12 foot Grizzly Bear.

Did you also know that that same guy killed himself after selling the stocks at a low price and seeing it skyrocket on the stock market?

Now THAT I did not know. 

As a woman I would not have a problem, but that's me...would see a man as just another Sales Assistant I can ask for help from, so long as his as careful about the measurements as most Sales Women are, not touching me inappropriately, I'm all good then. Then agai, I'm an older woman (46), so that may have a lot to do with it.

I'm well aware of that.  2 fingers on the tape measure and don't stare too long.  Of course I can take measurements from the back if that works.

It was the basis for the terrible joke:

I know what Victoria's Secret is...Victoria is a MAN!

It would be a challenge to know how a bra (or even panties) feel like on their respective areas of the body without actually knowing how they feel.  I'm not going to wear them and anyway I'm quite hairy so I'll likely tear-up the fabric.  :blink:

That was meant to be a tongue in cheek joke, but true.  The best you could probably do is feel the fabric on bare skin.  Unless a coworker would be willing to share their insight. 

Victor Victoria :ph34r:

I hope the coworkers will be friendly and cooperative and don't see me as some kind of 'outsider'.

LOL i totally misinterpreted the title xD I've seen guys sell their dirty underwear and gym socks on auction sites for $20-30 so LOL, in that sense, some people would C:

ummm personally I don't like being pressured to buy stuff, like.. if im at a gas station and they ask if i want a muffin for 90 cents or something, i will say no just coz they asked.. i dont trust myself around sales people, but im weird.

i guess a guy would know what guys like best, so i mean like if someone is unsure of what they want you could provide confidence that something is sexy.. or just be around to answer questions.. but i think overall most men would be at a disadvantage coz you really cant speak from experience to endorse something being good to wear--or maybe u can idk :D

dont be afraid to ask your potential employer for questions, and try to talk to other sales guys for tips i guess.

goooooood luck

I have been thinking about this.  I can do my best to earn their trust, but I think that will only take me so far.  I'm sure they would want a female employee to take their measurements.

Btw, I know how to take measurements to find the right bra size.

If you go to a men's apparel shop many times a male measures you ... cough if it is in ... sensitive areas or at least the woman explains what will be happening. It can be embarrassing for both parties if they both aren't comfortable with the situation.

Exactly. If you get the job interview I would suggest that you approach it from a male perspective where you can help the male customers with their selections. This includes of course Queens Trangender and the like. I would be more beneficial if this location or store did cater to that clientele even if on the down low. You would have to be very comfortable with these customers as well. this isn't just talking you are possibly going to be discussing some pretty intimate choices. Finally those women that are confident ( and I know many are) can discuss the clothing from a male perspective. This is valuable. Women that sell male apparel are sought after for their opinions as well. Much like what you stated the original purpose for VS was created for.

Now... keep in mind you won't be able to be a slob and likely you will have to have "flair" to stand out and show confidence (even if you do have some) to attract the women customers (which will be critical to make your base pay commission requirements as the male and crossdressing/queen/trangender likely won't be enough clientele to cover this) Basically you will have to look many times better than the women that comes in to such stores. And they do come in looking quite good most of the time. It benefits if you are very attractive, youthful looking but mature in nature.

As far as women not seeking out your assistance they will however not necessary as much as other female associates. you will have work every day to stand out.

OH.. and most of the clothing that is likely to be bought for a male perspective don't need to be very comfortable. Wire binding poking etc. :P it just has to look HOT... :) and make the woman feel .. well like a sexy woman.

Because most likely it will be removed very shortly.. lol

As long as you're clean and don't look or act like a creep, I'd be fine with you.

Most women who are in such a store don't generally give a shit, and the store's advertisements are aimed at men, not women. Victoria's Secret has male employees to make men more comfortable going in to buy lingerie for their partners. 

Archived