[FO4 CK] General Help Thread

On 12/13/2018 at 3:54 PM, Tentacus said:

Does anybody know of a working way to cripple the player's head with a script?

I've tried:   

PlayerRef.DamageValue(BrainCondition, 100)

and

PlayerRef.DamageValue(PerceptionCondition, 100)

Neither seems to do anything... Though using (for example) "Left MobilityCondition" works fine to cripple the left leg in the same manner. Is it a different actor value? Is a different method required? Or does it simply not work?   

I did a quick test with

float currentVal = Game.GetPlayer().GetValue(PerceptionCondition)
Game.GetPlayer().DamageValue(PerceptionCondition, currentVal)

and it seemed to work as expected.

Spoiler

headDmg.jpg.f5aa264226767fc0894c7e891434f8aa.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Is there some setting in the CK that needs to be turned on to read API's as it seems since my reinstall of the CK and FO4 and latest update to LooksMenu, I can no longer access the BodyGen function, I haven't changed the script since November and now it refuses to compile, I reinstalled LooksMenu but no change.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Scripts\Source\User\SynthPlayer\Synth9LooksMenu.psc(305,1): variable BodyGen is undefined C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Scripts\Source\User\SynthPlayer\Synth9LooksMenu.psc(305,9): none is not a known user-defined script type No output generated for SynthPlayer\Synth9LooksMenu.psc, compilation failed.

Anyone know where to find the LooksMenu API?

Ah got it, I had to use the Archive2.exe to extract the source files from the LooksMenu.BA2 into the Source folder for the CK to read.

• 1 month later...

Is there any reason as to why certain firing annotations don't work in custom exported animations? For example 'weaponFire' and 'muzzleFlash' ?

The only way I can get them to work is by replacing WPNfireSingleReady.hkx files in whatever weapon animation folder but then custom the arm screws up.

Is there something embedded within the creation kit that makes a gun fire/annotations work with the WPNfiresingleReady files and not custom animations>

A couple of questions about the FO4 CK :

1/ is there a way to disable the vanilla warnings in the window popping up each time I load a custom plugin ? I'd like to keep the warnings or errors about the plugin itself of course. I doubt such a feature already exists, but there are very talented people among our community (and there exists an enhanced toolset for SSE as well). Hopefully I didn't miss anything trivial like an ini setting.

2/ how do I compact a mod with dialogues (or other resources that depend on REF_IDs ? do I have to manually rename each and every associated external voice file ? I think I've checked all the tutorials I could find on the Nexus, Reddit and here of course by now, but I need a last helpful push to reach enlightenment.

3/ speaking of compacting, there seems to be a difference when compacting plugins through xEDIT or through the CK. It's much, much faster through xEDIT, but does anyone know if it's as safe (and why the plugins differ, in size at least) ?

Thanks for your valuable insight.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a way to remove a particular keyword from every actor in the game that has it? (without knowing which actors have it of course)

Just so you have some context... in the mod I'm working on, NPCs the player talks to are given 1 of 2 keywords depending on if they trust what the player says. After the quest is finished these keywords would serve no purpose so I want to know if there is a straightforward way of cleaning them up.

Thanks.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:11 PM, Tentacus said:

Is there a way to remove a particular keyword from every actor in the game that has it? (without knowing which actors have it of course)

Just so you have some context... in the mod I'm working on, NPCs the player talks to are given 1 of 2 keywords depending on if they trust what the player says. After the quest is finished these keywords would serve no purpose so I want to know if there is a straightforward way of cleaning them up.

Thanks.

Do you have to? If they're not used any more. Or is it just to be neat and tidy.

I don't think there's a way to do it directly but you could add them to a referencecollection which has the keyword instead of giving the keyword to the actors specifically. Then clear the referencecollection when the quest is over.

Or you could add the actors to a formlist at the time you give them the keyword then cycle through it removing the keywords when you're done.

16 minutes ago, Merope said:

Do you have to? If they're not used any more. Or is it just to be neat and tidy.

I don't think there's a way to do it directly but you could add them to a referencecollection which has the keyword instead of giving the keyword to the actors specifically. Then clear the referencecollection when the quest is over.

Or you could add the actors to a formlist at the time you give them the keyword then cycle through it removing the keywords when you're done.

Pretty much what I figured... No Just neat and Tidy. I'll just leave them... I just got a little paranoid about how sloppy my modding is :) Thanks.

On 3/28/2019 at 12:11 AM, Tentacus said:

Thanks.

Make a UPF patcher . I've got a collection of patchers on Nexus, you could start there, the one fixing potion weights, for example, works with the keywords. 

So... Since most every mod I make is heavily focused around dialogue, when I started learning Papyrus I heavily focused on doing stuff in dialogue fragments, to the detriment of learning to do things efficiently, but now I'm doing a lot of stuff with AAF events and am learning the advantage of using my own functions and stuff which leads me to what I presume is a very dumb question:

Is there a way to get the equivilent of "AkSpeaker" in a quest script? For example in a custom function that I can then call in a dialogue fragment to give/take stuff from the NPC the player is talking to?

Thanks.

Does anybody know where the heck I can find the data for the games on the holotapes in the creation kit so I can go in and play around with them. I've looked almost everywhere and I only say almost cause I cant find them. Thnx in advance.

15 hours ago, walkin said:

Does anybody know where the heck I can find the data for the games on the holotapes in the creation kit so I can go in and play around with them. I've looked almost everywhere and I only say almost cause I cant find them. Thnx in advance.

They're in the Fallout4 - Interface.ba2 archive under programs. But they're swf files so you'll need a program which can read those to 'go in and play around with them'.

15 minutes ago, Merope said:

There's a free application here that will supposedly let you decompile and edit the swf files (haven't tried it myself yet).

Cool. Thnx. What I was planning on doing looks like it might be more of a pain than its worth so I don't know. Lol. I will check this out though.

Another probably dumb question but... As far as anyone knows... Can compiling scripts with more lines than the CK can natively edit cause any weirdness? I am having some X-files shit where very simple code just isn't doing anything in game. Compiles fine but just doesn't work, and it only happens on this one 800 + lines long script I have.

I eventually just gave up and worked around the issue, but It'd be nice to know for future reference.

1 hour ago, Tentacus said:

Another probably dumb question but... As far as anyone knows... Can compiling scripts with more lines than the CK can natively edit cause any weirdness? I am having some X-files shit where very simple code just isn't doing anything in game. Compiles fine but just doesn't work, and it only happens on this one 800 + lines long script I have.

I eventually just gave up and worked around the issue, but It'd be nice to know for future reference.

There's a limit to the number of lines that can exist when using the built in (notepad style) editor in the Creation Kit. That limit is purely due to that editor window not a restriction in Papyrus. But you only want to use that for simple edits to small scripts (fragments etc) as it has no advanced features like syntax highlighting.

You should follow a guide (if you haven't already) to set up an external code editor of your choice (there are many, ask google) and use the Papyrus Script Manager (under the Gameplay menu) to manage and compile your scripts.

Don't worry about your script being 800+ lines long. Bethesda's own HC_Manager (Survival Mode) script is over 3000 lines.

18 minutes ago, Merope said:

There's a limit to the number of lines that can exist when using the built in (notepad style) editor in the Creation Kit. That limit is purely due to that editor window not a restriction in Papyrus. But you only want to use that for simple edits to small scripts (fragments etc) as it has no advanced features like syntax highlighting.

You should follow a guide (if you haven't already) to set up an external code editor of your choice (there are many, ask google) and use the Papyrus Script Manager (under the Gameplay menu) to manage and compile your scripts.

Don't worry about your script being 800+ lines long. Bethesda's own HC_Manager (Survival Mode) script is over 3000 lines.

That's what I thought, but this issue was getting me supersticious :) Thanks for putting my mind at rest about adding more to my functions script.

• 4 weeks later...