Planet Side 2

Which Faction Do You Belong to?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which Faction Do You Belong to?

• The Terran Republic
    • The New Conglomerate
    • The Vanu Sovereignty

Planetside 2 has been officially Released!

Let me explain to you what planet side 2 is.

It's an MMOFPS that takes place on HUGE world (dozens of square kilometers) where three futuristic factions fight for control and dominance. One is a totalitarian like faction, another is a resistance fighting faction that rebelled, and the other one is a faction made up of dudes who want to reverse engineer alien tech and incorporate that into their military. Each faction is at constant war with the other.

Players must choose a faction and that character stays with that faction. From there, players may customize their character (but in a way that reflects their faction) and from then on things get really awesome.

The world is dynamic. There are set territories (although I believe that high ranking players might be able to deploy and create bases, not sure) where each faction must battle each other to assert control over that territory. These territories can be supply lines, places for manufacturing machines and vehicles, and even research facilities. All are about the size of a map on a FPS such as Modern Warfare or Battlefield. What's really cool is that these battles are entirely player based, non-scripted, and are MASSIVE. Battles may include hundreds, even THOUSANDS of players on foot, and on land and air vehicles. Each can be customized by the player (the player spawns his own vehicle) to be better at doing certain things. The player can also customize his class, his weapons, armor etc.

You can join squads and play a central role in the major battle or you could just be on your merry way and then all of a sudden as you are climbing up the next hill you see a massive battle raging between two factions.

There's so much so I might have forgotten some parts to it. I highly recommend that you watch videos on youtube.

So, what are your thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, since it is apparently going free to play, you would think they would let you buy an early access key for 10 bucks or something, like how path of exile is doing.

Edit: Totally going Terran Republic, there is just something satisfying about being on the side of a well-oiled military empire.

... Just wish I had a beta key.

Hmm, the day/night cycles look like fun, I do love a good night time infiltration/raid. The video for night ops looks freaking awesome!

[video=youtube]

But yeah, TotalBiscuit has a video out talking about it. Several Actually.

[video=youtube]

Edit 2:

This is totally going to be a faux 40k sim for me.

Terran regular infantry = Imperial Guard

Terran Heavy = Space Marine

Terran MAX = Dreadnought

And there are drop pods! For multiple, simultaneous and devastating defensive deep strikes!

:D

SPEHSS MAHREENS! WE ARE TEH EMPRAHS FURREH!

[video=youtube]

... A thought, if they could implement rain into this, that plus the night time fighting would be possibly be the most epic multiplayer video game battleground ever.

... A second thought, it would be awesome if this game supported a voice system, I am not sure of the technical name for it, but one where everyone around you can hear you, and anyone who is far from you can't. Could make for great moments yelling "FORWARD!" :D

I thought the Terran Republic had an air of the Imperium of Man as well. Will probably be siding with them once it's out anyway :)

Never played 1 though, 2 being f2p may help numbers a bit as well. I always liked large scale stuff though, played EVE for quite a while. Some of the large fleet battles could get pretty epic, although sometimes a laggy mess.

Oh yeah, also:

Vanu Sovereignty = Eldar

New Conglomerate = Hmm, Tau? In an odd way? :D

Though, I am confused, as apparently the beta isn't actually out yet, just the registering for it. Though, man, I am super hyped, I've watched all the videos available from TotalBiscuit and the planetside2 youtube channel. And yeah, I never played ps1, hell, I am not sure if I have ever even heard of it.

It's weird, hah, I saw this thread when it first popped up, and was just "Meh, I'll look at it later." Now today I decide to check it out, and three hours of information gathering later it is "O.O must play this game."

Edit: Was browsing through Higby's twitter. Apparently the beta servers are up. They just haven't started rolling out the invites yet. Should be soon though.

Oh, yeah, and a new community message from Matt Higby.

[video=youtube]

Yeah sorry about that. With my shit computer that I am stuck with for now I would be unable to play the beta so I didn't bother trying to register. I will soon.

And thanks for mentioning the vids. Total Biscuit seems to have high hopes for this game. Me as well. Can't wait!

Sweet new look at the game from both Higby (<3) and TotalBiscuit.

[video=youtube]

Here is hoping that they announce the beta at E3. And in case you were wondering, yes, the thread for me upgrading my comp is directly tied to Planetside 2. :D

Edit: I was fairly set on going TR, and then I heard this:

Loyalty until death! Strength in Unity!

Well, after watching day 1 of TB's live stream, all I have to say is: Fucking. Brilliant.

I wish I was at E3. Sadly I couldn't go and get a beta key, but at any rate I am extremely impressed by the gameplay presentation and can't wait for day 2 and especially the release of the game!

Question, has anyone else received an email of any kind from them? I signed up for the newsletter, but I haven't gotten anything. I'm worried when they start handing out the beta keys, I may not get that either!

Also, Planetside 2 won best in show at E3. Bouse.

• 2 weeks later...

So looking forward to this game. Original Planetside Beta, and right at release was amazing. Even with goofy physics of the shooter, it was amazing some of the mass combined arms battles we had. For hours using actual strategy rather than the Zerg rush to take out bases.

If this is half of what it is shaping up to be, I will be first in line :)

So looking forward to this game. Original Planetside Beta' date=' and right at release was amazing. Even with goofy physics of the shooter, it was amazing some of the mass combined arms battles we had. For hours using actual strategy rather than the Zerg rush to take out bases.

[/quote']

First in line to take up arms for the Terran Republic, right?

By the way guys, if you haven't checked out the backstory, Do it now. Seriously, it is freaking amazing.

Start from the beginning of the news-feed and just move on through. http://www.planetside2.com/news16

• 2 weeks later...

So, any particular load-outs you guys planning on using? I'm thinking of a few. Standard heavy assault will probably be my main, with various load-outs. Then a dual cycler anti-infantry max, as well as an anti-armor mosquito, and I'll probably do some gunning for liberators as well.

And anyone else going to be getting in on that beta action?!

Anyone need a beta key? Was in a jodie battle with lancer and grabbed an extra one. :D

(Mad God has priority, followed by anyone who has already posted. Of course, if none of them say they want it, then others can get it obviously.)

The jodies if you are interested:

Republic troops let me hear you say, killin' the enemy we'll do it all day! Sound off!

Fighting hard and bleeding red! If it's Blue or Purple it's better off dead!

One! Dead NC! Two! Dead VS! Three! Kill all the rest! Four! TR's the best!

Ready your cycler here they come! Shoot 'em up good boys, you'll go home!

They hear our boots stomping and they're already gone! Better run fast boys, this is our home!

#PS2Jodies

So looking forward to this game. Original Planetside Beta' date=' and right at release was amazing. Even with goofy physics of the shooter, it was amazing some of the mass combined arms battles we had. For hours using actual strategy rather than the Zerg rush to take out bases.

[/quote']

First in line to take up arms for the Terran Republic, right?

By the way guys, if you haven't checked out the backstory, Do it now. Seriously, it is freaking amazing.

Start from the beginning of the news-feed and just move on through. http://www.planetside2.com/news16

LOL.

I was NC. I just hope the mines are as fun as they were in PS1. Laying huge minefields where the enemy didnt expect them was tons of fun. Esspecially against those darn Magriders

Anyone need a beta key? Was in a jodie battle with lancer and grabbed an extra one. :D

(Mad God has priority' date=' followed by anyone who has already posted. Of course, if none of them say they want it, then others can get it obviously.)

The jodies if you are interested:

Republic troops let me hear you say, killin' the enemy we'll do it all day! Sound off!

Fighting hard and bleeding red! If it's Blue or Purple it's better off dead!

One! Dead NC! Two! Dead VS! Three! Kill all the rest! Four! TR's the best!

Ready your cycler here they come! Shoot 'em up good boys, you'll go home!

They hear our boots stomping and they're already gone! Better run fast boys, this is our home!

#PS2Jodies

[/quote']

If you still have that beta key, then I'd be glad to take it :)

I'm still undecided as to what faction to pick. They're all interesting, I'll just have to try them all out to determine which one I'll be sticking with in the long run.

If you still have that beta key' date=' then I'd be glad to take it :)

I'm still undecided as to what faction to pick. They're all interesting, I'll just have to try them all out to determine which one I'll be sticking with in the long run.

[/quote']

Of course. Haha, without your thread, I might have never found out about this amazing game. I'll send it to you in IM. And you know who I'll say you should join. I'll leave you with more "propaganda" (I.E. Truth. ;) ) to try and sway you to the right faction. But in the end, as long as you don't join the purple fairies, it's all good. :D

If you still have that beta key' date=' then I'd be glad to take it :)

[/quote']

Of course. Haha, without your thread, I might have never found out about this amazing game. I'll send it to you in IM. And you know who I'll say you should join. I'll leave you with more "propaganda" (I.E. Truth. ;) ) to try and sway you to the right faction. But in the end, as long as you don't join the purple fairies, it's all good. :D

Wow! Thanks!

Quick question: the beta isn't out yet correct? But when it does come out we'll have access to it?

Maybe. They are currently doing internal testing. There is a lot of speculation going on. What may happen is only certain amounts are let on at the start, and they slowly trickle in more and more testers. Veterans get priority, followed by people who got the "priority keys" from twitter, pc gamer, etc. (Like me and you. :D ) And then last in line is anyone just hoping to get a key by signing up on the website. If you haven't already, take the hardware survey. Smedly (SOE CEO) twitted that if you wanted to be first in line, that was something you needed to do. For the hardware testing anyway I think. Just check the Planetside 2 twitter, and the Planetside 2 reddit, lots of information there.

Edit: One last thing. Have you seen this? http://www.planetside2.com/download :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived