Reshade - ENB alternative for Skyrim

Kinky

Recently new version of Reshade was released on reshade.me and with modding community that Skyrim has im bit surprised that there is almost no mention of this interesting mod.

To describe it shortly:
same as with enb you get file d3d9.dll in your skyrim directory with a tool called reshade assistant, then you use that assistant to create your own enb settings and you can do it real time so its easy to set things up to your liking.

What i want to know is did you know about this tool? Did you use it and create presets? And whats your opinion about and comparisson with ENB series?

DOF and SSAO_SSIL are NOWHERE near as impressive with Reshade as they are with ENB. 

That is the reason for the performance difference between the two. 

Yes, you can get some very stunning visuals with Reshade. However, things to think about.

1) you can't use ENBoost and Reshade at the same time. Tried it. Crashed on Windows 10 almost every time. When it didn't crash, I got error messages saying that reshade wasn't working properly.

1a) this problem is not present in Fallout 4, where ENB is running on DX11 not DX9. 

2) Reshade is not going to give you the quality of images most people want for screenshotting. ESPECIALLY if you're an archer.

Reshade simply doesn't have the power to do what ENB does. 

TL:DR: Only use Reshade if your PC is a pussy and can't handle real post processing.

PS: Keep in mind the reduction in performance from not being able to use ENBoost. ;) 
Trade off? Very much. Worth it? PROBABLY NOT.

DOF and SSAO_SSIL are NOWHERE near as impressive with Reshade as they are with ENB. 

Yes, you can get some very stunning visuals with Reshade. However, things to think about.

1) you can't use ENBoost and Reshade at the same time. Tried it. Crashed on Windows 10 almost every time. When it didn't crash, I got error messages saying that reshade wasn't working properly.

1a) this problem is not present in Fallout 4, where ENB is running on DX11 not DX9. 

2) Reshade is not going to give you the quality of images most people want for screenshotting. ESPECIALLY if you're an archer.

TL:DR: Only use Reshade if your PC is a pussy and can't handle real post processing.

PS: Keep in mind the reduction in performance from not being able to use ENBoost. ;) 

my laptop i3 4005 + 8go ram + 2go r7 m265

when i use enb 2xx+ with enboost not help lot-no performance gain i expand 5 days to get work with minimal fps drops- of from 60- 30 fps with most effect disabled; not all peopole have beast pc with i5 xxxxk and nvidia 9xx

and thank you

when i use enb 2xx+ with enboost not help lot-no performance gain i expand 5 days to get work with minimal fps drops- of from 60- 30 fps with most effect disabled; not all peopole have beast pc with i5 xxxxk and nvidia 9xx

and thank you

If you're getting no performance gain, or reduction in stuttering, while using ENBoost? You're not setting it up properly. It's that simple.

ENBoost changes the way your PC handles, and how much, memory. This increases the available amount of VRAM, as well as managing where what information goes. 

It doesn't take an i5 or Nvidia 9XX to see gains from ENBoost. It takes setting it up properly.

PS: Thanks for assuming that I have super great hardware. I don't. I'm running a 4 year old AMD FX-8120 running stock (3.1ghz), 8GB of Kingston Hyper-X RAM (From before Hyper-X became it's own brand), a CRAPPY EVGA GTX 960, and a 120GB SSD. 

So no. I don't have the best system either. However, with a properly set up ENBoost? The performance gains are quite substantial. 

--I mean... it wouldn't be popular if it didn't work.

same here i have i3 laptop  9gig of ram and i dont know about that numbers or r7 or random letters

i try to test this too maybe i can gain more FPS with this 

9GB of RAM? O.o WTF? 

Are you running 2x4GB with an extra 1GB stick? If so, that 1GB stick (or whatever other random odd number stick you have) is probably doing more damage than good, making it so that your other RAM isn't running in dual channel, meaning it's not moving information as fast. 

Remove your random odd stick of RAM and save yourself some headache later.

and thank you

If you're getting no performance gain, or reduction in stuttering, while using ENBoost? You're not setting it up properly. It's that simple.

ENBoost changes the way your PC handles, and how much, memory. This increases the available amount of VRAM, as well as managing where what information goes. 

It doesn't take an i5 or Nvidia 9XX to see gains from ENBoost. It takes setting it up properly.

PS: Thanks for assuming that I have super great hardware. I don't. I'm running a 4 year old AMD FX-8120 running stock (3.1ghz), 8GB of Kingston Hyper-X RAM (From before Hyper-X became it's own brand), a CRAPPY EVGA GTX 960, and a 120GB SSD. 

So no. I don't have the best system either. However, with a properly set up ENBoost? The performance gains are quite substantial. 

--I mean... it wouldn't be popular if it didn't work.

same here i have i3 laptop  9gig of ram and i dont know about that numbers or r7 or random letters

i try to test this too maybe i can gain more FPS with this 

9GB of RAM? O.o WTF? 

Are you running 2x4GB with an extra 1GB stick? If so, that 1GB stick (or whatever other random odd number stick you have) is probably doing more damage than good, making it so that your other RAM isn't running in dual channel, meaning it's not moving information as fast. 

Remove your random odd stick of RAM and save yourself some headache later.

so sorry about that i only have 6 gig installed memory (ram)

i found mine its i3 2350m cpu @ 2.30ghz

Actualy you can use ENBoost with Reshade. I was using it with no issues before (ENB 0.2x + Reshade 1.1) but now when i upgraded both to ENB 0.305 and Reshade 2.1 i started to get issues as well. It seems that new enb is somehow crashing Reshade and Reshade by itself can start with no issues at all.

also im a bit confuse on this setting on ENB local  VideoMemorySizeMb=3968  

like the guide say in here http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

i should run the vsize ram test after that subtract it by 170

i did run the Vsize test and i got 3840 video memory available  so it should 3840-170 = 3670 so change the VideoMemorySizeMb=3968 to VideoMemorySizeMb= 3670?

am i doing this right?

Actualy you can use ENBoost with Reshade. I was using it with no issues before (ENB 0.2x + Reshade 1.1) but now when i upgraded both to ENB 0.305 and Reshade 2.1 i started to get issues as well. It seems that new enb is somehow crashing Reshade and Reshade by itself can start with no issues at all.

im using enb series 2.16 by kage 

That's still a pretty odd amount of RAM, unless it's in one stick (which I HAVE seen).

so using 2 ram is not recomended?

Recently new version of Reshade was released on reshade.me and with modding community that Skyrim has im bit surprised that there is almost no mention of this interesting mod.

To describe it shortly:

same as with enb you get file d3d9.dll in your skyrim directory with a tool called reshade assistant, then you use that assistant to create your own enb settings and you can do it real time so its easy to set things up to your liking.

What i want to know is did you know about this tool? Did you use it and create presets? And whats your opinion about and comparisson with ENB series?

It's not an ENB alternative. It's another postprocessing program. ENB for Skyrim is not like anything else Boris has done so there's no direct comparison.

ENB for Skyrim in either form uses memory reallocation and preinjection before anything is ever updated on the screen. While ReShade has enough of an impact that Boris is actually emulating some stuff that SweetFX did cheaper now in .266+, they are still vastly different programs.

ReShade is much closer to Imaginator than it is to ENB.

ENB has its own lighting model that directly overwrites most games code, ReShade relies entirely on existing screen space data to do anything. Since the most graphically glaring issues with Skyrim involve lighting and shadows, they aren't ever going look the same anyway:

Let's take a look at Bee here, particularly the way shadows fall on her without a direct source like on her neck, and the way bloom is treated against indirect light sources:

(double click for actual screen res)

Reshade 2.0:

http://puu.sh/nTwGE.bmp

http://puu.sh/nTwQD.bmp

ENB:

http://puu.sh/nTwkX.bmp

http://puu.sh/nTwzK.bmp

http://puu.sh/nTwtV.bmp

http://puu.sh/nTwtV.bmp

Not even kinda, Not even close.

ReShade is fine alternative to imaginator, and even works with ENB (I use it in ENBeast for contrast control and HDR because I have a 10+2bit color monitor and ENB is still stuck using 8 bit palettes for CC), but it has zero memory reallocation and is literally only a post process injector.

They aren't the same at all.

also im a bit confuse on this setting on ENB local  VideoMemorySizeMb=3968  

like the guide say in here http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

i should run the vsize ram test after that subtract it by 170

i did run the Vsize test and i got 3840 video memory available  so it should 3840-170 = 3670 so change the VideoMemorySizeMb=3968 to VideoMemorySizeMb= 3670?

am i doing this right?

im using enb series 2.16 by kage 

That's still a pretty odd amount of RAM, unless it's in one stick (which I HAVE seen).

so using 2 ram is not recomended?

Kage did not do ENBSeries, and if he's claiming to have made an ENB Binary, Boris is gonna be PISSED. 

ENBSeries is in no way related to how ENBoost (enblocal.ini) or Reshade work together. In fact, if you're going to use Reshade it's advised that you disable the graphics modifications of ENB. This way, you don't get conflicting effects. 

So. You would be using ENBoost (the memory management feature of ENB, disabling the graphics modifications in enblocal.ini) and Reshade. 

ENB presets are irrelevant if you're using Reshade... unless the specific preset was designed to be used in conjunction with Reshade. In which case, it will come with all of the files needed to make both work. You just drag, drop, and edit enblocal.ini

As far as your ReservedSystemMemory in enblocal.ini: Yes, you are using the right numbers in the right place.

It's not an ENB alternative. It's another postprocessing program. ENB for Skyrim is not like anything else Boris has done so there's no direct comparison.

They aren't the same at all.

Damn those are some huge bmp files. Anyway i appreciate comparison. Its why i created this topic.

Reshade might not be direct alternative but it is improving game look and in that manner can be considered as one.

By the way did you use similar presets in those screenshots? Coz with my custom preset game looks lot better then what you showed for Reshade.

Again I was just showing the shadow quality, which even with AO doesn't soften very well. With nVidia you're essentially forced to choose between a glowing halo on characters or checkery hyper sharp shadows, and with AMD you don't get to dither shadows at all, only multisample, which is hard on framerate. The way ReShade uses bloom is also sketchy, it's fine if you like Mass Effect style fuzzy glow on [insert glow thing here], but if you want actually-looks-like-morning-or-dusk bloom and refraction style effects on metal or bright cubemaps, it's very very hard to make that work in ReShade without having glowy stuff all the time in weird places (basically anywhere that exceeds the set brightness value).

A good way to see the basic difference is if you own Dragon's Dogma. With ENB your load times increase like 400% but all that fancy grass now has actual self-shadowing. With AO and and reshade all the grass has weird gray halos that don't move with light sources like they should, so it looks like you're running through toxic waste from DooM II.

Archived