Display not working?

ther1pper

I bought a new monitor today i plugged it into the HDMI port of my graphics card, apparently i've never done this before because when i try DVI or HDMI of either of my monitors it doesn't get a signal, how do i fix this?

Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 760

Check first each monitor. Connect only one monitor, and start your PC.

Then check the other one.

In case one of the two, alone, is failing, then check: 1) the monitor is actually working by connecting it do a different machine. 2) The cable is working. 3) Your graphic card can support it.

Check also if you need special drivers for the monitor to specify its refresh rate.

Check first each monitor. Connect only one monitor, and start your PC.

Then check the other one.

In case one of the two, alone, is failing, then check: 1) the monitor is actually working by connecting it do a different machine. 2) The cable is working. 3) Your graphic card can support it.

Check also if you need special drivers for the monitor to specify its refresh rate.

To be more exact, its anytime i plug directly into graphics card, if i plug the dvi into the motherboard it works fine, but the graphics card ports don't work for either monitor.

To be more exact, its anytime i plug directly into graphics card, if i plug the dvi into the motherboard it works fine, but the graphics card ports don't work for either monitor.

OK, you sure the Graphic Card is recognized by the OS?

Is it active? Has it the drivers installed?

OK, you sure the Graphic Card is recognized by the OS?

Is it active? Has it the drivers installed?

the drivers are installed, everything else seems to see it from what i can tell, but it won't work with the video connections

Then check your cable.

If the cable is the same that can go from the integrated card to the monitor, it is an easy check.

i tried 2 different cables as well as a 3rd cable to a different monitor, still not getting a signal when connected directly to the graphics card.

Then check your cable.

If the cable is the same that can go from the integrated card to the monitor, it is an easy check.

i tried 2 different cables as well as a 3rd cable to a different monitor, still not getting a signal when connected directly to the graphics card.

OK, then you should really check if the card is actually working.

Maybe a different monitor, maybe a voltmeter.

Then check your cable.

OK, then you should really check if the card is actually working.

Maybe a different monitor, maybe a voltmeter.

how do i check the card? As i have checked with two different monitors so either i didn't set up something right, or i need to configure it so that it uses the graphics card instead of the motherboard for video.

I have no idea.

I usually check if the card is responding, and through the operating system I check everything I can check.

But how to select the graphic card engine is depending on you config (OS + Drivers) so I cannot really guess what to do.

you can try something, but then be ready to restart Windows in safe mode to restore the previous config: disable the internal card. And restart.

Be aware that you may need to boot using safe mode to revert this change, and that is NOT easy.

I have no idea.

I usually check if the card is responding, and through the operating system I check everything I can check.

But how to select the graphic card engine is depending on you config (OS + Drivers) so I cannot really guess what to do.

you can try something, but then be ready to restart Windows in safe mode to restore the previous config: disable the internal card. And restart.

Be aware that you may need to boot using safe mode to revert this change, and that is NOT easy.

okay thanks, i'll give that a shot.

okay thanks, i'll give that a shot.

Big Warning. Be sure you know how to restart Windows in safe mode. Also without having a screen feedback.

Try it BEFORE trying what I said.

That depends on your motherboard and the actual possibilities offered by the BIOS/EFI system.

When you start your PC there should be a key to press to open it (Del usually, or F2 also)

Then browse in the interface and check if you can find a way to disable the internal graphic chip.

That depends on your motherboard and the actual possibilities offered by the BIOS/EFI system.

When you start your PC there should be a key to press to open it (Del usually, or F2 also)

Then browse in the interface and check if you can find a way to disable the internal graphic chip.

i looked at that, i also found this

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/disable-onboard-graphics-card-bios-53738.html

i didn't see gtx on the graphics card in options though. i saw PSI, PSI express, and Onboard.

This is a generic guide to find what you are looking for.

But it is generic, not specific.

Do you know what is the actual mother board you have? I can have a look on internet to find the correct sport (if any.)

I'll be the one to ask the obligatory daft questions.

1. Did you plug the GPU in a PCI-Express port
  2. Did you make sure the card was properly seated by pushing down until it clicked into place.
  3. Have you connected the proper power cables to the card
  4. Are you sure your power supply can support your new card ?

With those questions out of the way let's say that you can say yes to all the above, now we should focus on your bios, this will be different depending on the board, but since your mentioned all you could find was PCI, PCI Express and Onboard, those are actually your graphics settings.

PCI: A slower connection used mainly for sound cards and very old graphics card post AGP (Advanced Graphics Port) and pre PCI - Express

PCI-E: A much more advanced version of PCI able to handle faster speeds up to 16x that of PCI (on current hardware only)

Onborad: This is your motherboards Video connection

If your onboard is set to default you should just be able to switch it to say PCIE so that your card has the power and boots initially, however note that onboard video is usually overridden when an Expansion card is used (in this case it would be your GPU that you inserted) and so doesn't need to be disabled but you will need to make sure your PCIE is set as default.

Note that if your power supply can turn the GPU fan around it does not mean that it can power the GPU to run visuals also, check the connection between the card and motherboard is secure and isn't loose or hasn't clicked in, also check for loose cables.

Lastly if there is no signal from the card with any combination of monitors or cables then your last resort is to try installing the card in a different system if there is still no signal then you have a faulty card.

I'll be the one to ask the obligatory daft questions.

1. Did you plug the GPU in a PCI-Express port
  2. Did you make sure the card was properly seated by pushing down until it clicked into place.
  3. Have you connected the proper power cables to the card
  4. Are you sure your power supply can support your new card ?

With those questions out of the way let's say that you can say yes to all the above, now we should focus on your bios, this will be different depending on the board, but since your mentioned all you could find was PCI, PCI Express and Onboard, those are actually your graphics settings.

PCI: A slower connection used mainly for sound cards and very old graphics card post AGP (Advanced Graphics Port) and pre PCI - Express

PCI-E: A much more advanced version of PCI able to handle faster speeds up to 16x that of PCI (on current hardware only)

Onborad: This is your motherboards Video connection

If your onboard is set to default you should just be able to switch it to say PCIE so that your card has the power and boots initially, however note that onboard video is usually overridden when an Expansion card is used (in this case it would be your GPU that you inserted) and so doesn't need to be disabled but you will need to make sure your PCIE is set as default.

Note that if your power supply can turn the GPU fan around it does not mean that it can power the GPU to run visuals also, check the connection between the card and motherboard is secure and isn't loose or hasn't clicked in, also check for loose cables.

Lastly if there is no signal from the card with any combination of monitors or cables then your last resort is to try installing the card in a different system if there is still no signal then you have a faulty card.

1. I put this together a year ago so i need to look.

2. It is in place.

3. I will need to check that.

4. I'm pretty sure the power supply can power it.

First off let me start by saying i'm sorry as it turns out i have been wasting your time. Turns out like a dumbass it wasn't the motherboard i thought it was plugged into, it was the graphics card, meaning it was working right, meaning i've been doing it right and managed to confuse the motherboard and gc inputs somehow despite being the one who built it, anyways it works, sorry about this guys.

Archived