[mod] [CK2] Dark World: Reborn - Updated 01JUN2024

I wouldn't have to look up 3rd party pictures if Paradox wasn't so hellbent in making all the races so borderline disgusting. Out of all the mammalians, the only ones that are bearable are the humans and the fennec foxes. Humans are vanilla af and the Fennec Foxes have no gender disparity whatsoever, so you end up with males and females looking the same. The only other somewhat bearable mammal in the list is the platypus, which is missing a bloody eyeball. Damn you Paradox, you're gonna make this into a DLC, aren't you?

Good point. The male and female diversity is pretty crappy, other than humans. Then again, when I look at a dog, lore-wise, unless I'm feeling their crotch, I'm not going to know the difference, lol. I suppose male dogs have slightly bigger heads and paws, but Paradox doesn't even display paws, so yea...

If CKII is any indication, yes, there will be a shit ton of portrait content. Mechanized versions of mammals seems to be a popular fan request.

I wouldn't have to look up 3rd party pictures if Paradox wasn't so hellbent in making all the races so borderline disgusting. Out of all the mammalians, the only ones that are bearable are the humans and the fennec foxes. Humans are vanilla af and the Fennec Foxes have no gender disparity whatsoever, so you end up with males and females looking the same. The only other somewhat bearable mammal in the list is the platypus, which is missing a bloody eyeball. Damn you Paradox, you're gonna make this into a DLC, aren't you?

Good point. The male and female diversity is pretty crappy, other than humans. Then again, when I look at a dog, lore-wise, unless I'm feeling their crotch, I'm not going to know the difference, lol. I suppose male dogs have slightly bigger heads and paws, but Paradox doesn't even display paws, so yea...

If CKII is any indication, yes, there will be a shit ton of portrait content. Mechanized versions of mammals seems to be a popular fan request.

They could also make the female versions smaller or more slender or have a more 'fertile' figure than males. It may not be obvious to us, either because they stand on four legs or because they're different species, but animals do also show this difference in form and figure.

Mechanized portraits sound cool. Personally, the parasitic fungi also tickled my fancy. Perhaps they would make some for that too.

Question. Is there a way to cap the existence of Joker and Harley? In my game there's like, dozens of them and I think they're starting to mess with my game that's trying too hard to keep up with all of their decisions and actions, like processing too many characters making decisions at once.

Simple.

Quit spawning one Harley after the next.

The AI is not allowed to use the decision which is needed to fire the event.

Actually that's not how it went down: I first used Dark World: Reborn + Hentai SubMod but later I added the unsupported patches (Rebuild and someone's patch to 2.5.2) which are linked on the main post, and maybe that is what broke it. See, the court jester event started triggering on its own, without the prompt. In fact I believe the prompt is entirely gone from my decisions list (Though maybe it was for kings only? I don't recall. I'm playing duke level.)

See, I didn't spawn those Harleys and Jokers. the NPCs did. Hell even before adding the patches, when I was using Dark World: Reborn alone + Hentai, I already saw multiple Harleys and Jokers, but not to the extent which caused my game to become unplayable. In the end I simply 'fixed' it by modifying the courts & commerce file themselves and nuking the event from happening. I got one pop up event as a result where a "Harley", with Joker Event Window text and icon, showed up since I didn't have any court jester. But I banished them and none other showed up ever since.

I know with almost 100% certainty this is because of the Rebuild mod and/or the patch and that they're unsupported by the original author. Just wanted to see if anyone ran into this same issue if they happened to use them.

If your stuff is broken and something major is not working (anymore) applying a plaster is not helping the situation.

From the sound of it your house is on fire and you are asking for a can of oil because the door is squeaking.

Sorry for the noob question but even after reading the FAQ I don't understand what you need to run this mod?

What DLCs for example do you need besides a number of portrait packs ( though I'm not really sure which)?

And do you need some other mods for Dark World to work?

You need a Crusader Kings 2 patched to 2.5.2 which you have when the game is installed and activated via Steam.

None of the DLC are definitely needed to run Dark World. Only the Portrait Pack has to be altered for missing DLC so the portraits do not get ... irritated.

Question. Is there a way to cap the existence of Joker and Harley? In my game there's like, dozens of them and I think they're starting to mess with my game that's trying too hard to keep up with all of their decisions and actions, like processing too many characters making decisions at once.

Simple.

Actually that's not how it went down: I first used Dark World: Reborn + Hentai SubMod but later I added the unsupported patches (Rebuild and someone's patch to 2.5.2) which are linked on the main post, and maybe that is what broke it. See, the court jester event started triggering on its own, without the prompt. In fact I believe the prompt is entirely gone from my decisions list (Though maybe it was for kings only? I don't recall. I'm playing duke level.)

See, I didn't spawn those Harleys and Jokers. the NPCs did. Hell even before adding the patches, when I was using Dark World: Reborn alone + Hentai, I already saw multiple Harleys and Jokers, but not to the extent which caused my game to become unplayable. In the end I simply 'fixed' it by modifying the courts & commerce file themselves and nuking the event from happening. I got one pop up event as a result where a "Harley", with Joker Event Window text and icon, showed up since I didn't have any court jester. But I banished them and none other showed up ever since.

I know with almost 100% certainty this is because of the Rebuild mod and/or the patch and that they're unsupported by the original author. Just wanted to see if anyone ran into this same issue if they happened to use them.

You're on your own then. We can't give you a special patch or anything because it would only make things worse.

IMO the most obvious thing to check would be a compatibility problem between the Rebuild mod and the patch. Try not running both at the same time, to see if it fixes the problem. Don't forget you can get rid of the damn Harleys / Jokers one by one with console commands.

EDIT: Doesn't the main post clearly say to NOT use the Rebuild mod and the unsupported patch with Reborn ? And to not use both at the same time ?

You need a Crusader Kings 2 patched to 2.5.2 which you have when the game is installed and activated via Steam.

None of the DLC are definitely needed to run Dark World. Only the Portrait Pack has to be altered for missing DLC so the portraits do not get ... irritated.

I see. Thanks.

And which portraits pack do you need?

(The steam stores list of DLCs for CK2 is extreemly cluttered.)

Any chance you could update the mods with some more events? 

Maybe The Dark World Futa Mod could use some updating.

Also a sidenote; I think it would be great if it could somehow be implemented that you can customize your empire, like themes that adjusts the event chains.

Since you become a demigod you should sort of be able to "pick" your followers. Like if it was a cult you adjust it to fit your playstyle.

@@chry there is a Textfile included with the uneventful name "DW_ReMeDy_CustomPortraits ReadMe.txt" in which all Portrait Packs are listed and linked to the special .gfx file. If you do not have a portrait pack the workaround is to delete the .gfx.

@@Chambers if you do it, yes there is.

Implementing new events for existing modules is not top priority. If you write the event yourself (proper event file and NOT only a description of how it should be) and maybe even provide the images for the event I doubt it would receive a No from dew.

Your other suggestion with the customizeable empire is out of scope for this mod. Would be nice but don't expect this or a similar result in Dark World any time soon (or at all).

Depends.

If the customization does not sooo far extend beyond a custom culture with custom ruler titles it would be relatively easy.

If the "picking of followers" would be an event chain spawning AI with favourable traits it would not be very hard either.

On the fly customization is possible in CK2 but work intensive to write and not a matter of minutes.

But as said such a modification is (currently?) outside the scope of this mod.

I'm currently have issues, when I do the quest for the Lilithian faith I don't actually get the religion. I don't seem to be getting the option to use the market or any of those unlockable buildings. I wonder if I installed it wrong. Am I supposed to have all the diffierent mods added at the same time?

1. There is no Lilithian Religion in Dark World Reborn. It was in the original Dark World but it was cut and won't come back.

2. The Buildings do not have any events assigned.

3. Dark World Reborn is cut into (at the time of writing seven) parts.

Oh, I'll probably write up a module for a Lilithian religion, once Dewguru is semi-done with the core stuff, to a stable point. But that's a side project, not something Dewguru is doing.

EDIT: Doesn't the main post clearly say to NOT use the Rebuild mod and the unsupported patch with Reborn ? And to not use both at the same time ?

Oh, it does? Huh... I must've missed that part then. My bad. I'll work on it myself. Going through these files, reading this and that, I'm actually learning quite a bit about these work.

It does say not to, but it says "don't" in yellow text that's almost invisible on a white background. It's easy to miss at a quick glance.

I could be mistaken, but I believe Lover's Lab default background is black, with white text. While I understand folks can alter their browser displays, doing so runs the risk of missing out on information if the contrast changes noticeably.

If it's not, then I've no idea how mine was set to black background with white text, as it's definitely not my preferred view style.

1. There is no Lilithian Religion in Dark World Reborn. It was in the original Dark World but it was cut and won't come back.

2. The Buildings do not have any events assigned.

3. Dark World Reborn is cut into (at the time of writing seven) parts.

What's your source for the religion not coming back?

Change log for what has been uploaded this weekend:

v1.35 (Dark World Core)
    - Added a targeted decision where a player, or the ai, can voluntarily waive their immortality.
    - Added a character modifier used in the updated DW Fairy Tales mod
    - Added some nicknames that are presently used in the updated DW Fairy Tales mod

v1.31 (Dark World ReMeDy Custom Portraits)
    - Added Belle to the portrait list (used by DWFairyTales)
    - Updated Gaston's image

v1.32 (DW Children of Lilith Mod)
    - Tweaked the Blood Moon event to where the succubi/incubi children wouldn't be 100% certain to run it every year.
    - Blood Moon event will now prompt the user (as a high alert decision) when it's available to be run.
    - Fixed a bad scope for the Stage 1 Self Beautification spell
    - Added a Stage 5 - heal major body damage on self spell

Planned for release late tonight or tomorrow.

v1.31 (DW Fairy Tales)
    - Added more Beauty and Beast related events - (two paths to completion available, 2 more planned)
    - Spend Time with Belle decision added for if you obtain her as a spouse/lover

Change log for what has been uploaded this weekend:

v1.35 (Dark World Core)

- Added a targeted decision where a player, or the ai, can voluntarily waive their immortality.

- Added a character modifier used in the updated DW Fairy Tales mod

- Added some nicknames that are presently used in the updated DW Fairy Tales mod

v1.31 (Dark World ReMeDy Custom Portraits)

- Added Belle to the portrait list (used by DWFairyTales)

- Updated Gaston's image

v1.32 (DW Children of Lilith Mod)

- Tweaked the Blood Moon event to where the succubi/incubi children wouldn't be 100% certain to run it every year.

- Blood Moon event will now prompt the user (as a high alert decision) when it's available to be run.

- Fixed a bad scope for the Stage 1 Self Beautification spell

- Added a Stage 5 - heal major body damage on self spell

Planned for release late tonight or tomorrow.

v1.31 (DW Fairy Tales)

- Added more Beauty and Beast related events - (two paths to completion available, 2 more planned)

- Spend Time with Belle decision added for if you obtain her as a spouse/lover

sweet, cant wait to play the new belle parts tomorrow. speaking of which, how do you get it to pop up, is it completely random or do you need to be specific culture/religon/etc?

sweet, cant wait to play the new belle parts tomorrow. speaking of which, how do you get it to pop up, is it completely random or do you need to be specific culture/religon/etc?

The introduction event is seeded as a random event that has a chance to fire every other year.

If you want to force it, you can always do the following:

~

event DWFairyTales.100

~

That opens the console window, executes the introduction event for Beauty and the Beast, and then closes the console window.

There are more or less four planned paths.

1. Affection (being loving towards Belle)

2. Corruption (awakening the slut within Belle)

3. Gaston focused (where you'd be helping him conquer Belle)

4. Ruler has the Hunter focus (the short cut route)

1 & 4 are the ones with paths to resolving the curse of the Beast. Right now there are only two specific ways to resolve it  (not counting ignoring it, which could technically be a third). Each path doesn't lead to both end resolutions, and the rewards for how you reach them vary (examples of rewards ranging from prestige, to piety, to different nicknames). So technically I could take the AAA game route and say I really have like six different endings since some vary just slightly in rewards, however, that's sort of lame, so I'll stick with two resolutions with some reward variation contained within them.

Note: 1&4 aren't wholly complete. For example, if you're going the Affection path and end up sticking Belle into the dreaded 'friend zone', then you're sort of stuck unless you're able to go the Hunter focus route. And another example is you can go the Hunter route and end up making a decision that sticks you with the Craven trait, it then breaks that route from happening, unless you can then go the Affection path.

So, while 1&4 should allow you to ultimately resolve the curse (from the village's perspective anyway), it may have incomplete side paths that still need to be tied into another branch.

snip

There will not be any World of Darkness style bloodlines in this. Just to clarify that. Even after I add vampire specific content, it won't be WoD based.

When Dark World is more or less "done" would you be cool with people making and posting "fan mods"?

Like translations and add-ons in case someone does think Dark World could potentially support World of Darkness stuff.

I'm totally cool with people doing that right now. Folks have done little things in the past that they shared (I'm not aware of any of them that were kept current), but by all means go for it. If you notice on the main page, I list where a couple folks made compatible versions of the old consolidated 1.25 version.

If you make it, keep it current, I'd be cool with linking to it as well so others who may share an interest can find it. Also - if it's a minor thing you've got, yet it fits well within the present scope of what I'm aiming for, I'd even be cool with incorporating it. If you notice in the Thank you section - there are two folks who've already contributed some code, and there's actually a third - I just need to add his stuff in.

I poked around and noticed the Neko and Kitsune traits, yet no Japanese culture to go along with it despite your notes(which I love that you include) that specifically mention they're Japanese in origin.

I'm not even sure if it's possible to force a trait onto a culture, but here's the code for it if you want to shave like a minute off your programming time for whenever you get around to programming Neko and Kitsune events.

I tested it and it works with Vanilla, CK2, the Mythos mod, the Assassin's Creed mod, DW Rebuild, a frankenstein of current Dark World and Rebuild, and all of those combined. Odd choices, but those are my most played mods so I wanted to make sure it doesn't conflict. Which it doesn't.

The only thing it relies on is the mongol graphics pack which is sadly the closest to Japanese we're gonna get with ethnicity.

I was planning on linking a Runestone like decision to it, but like rename it to "Shrine" or something. Sadly I can't find any guide that shows anything relating to Runestones, nor can I find a guide showing how to program an event like that from scratch.

Use it, alter it, ignore it entirely. I just thought I'd share since I'm making all the Nekos and Kitsunes I spawn this culture.

PS. Do you plan on making Orc specific events? If not I may make that my next learning experience.

I poked around and noticed the Neko and Kitsune traits, yet no Japanese culture to go along with it despite your notes(which I love that you include) that specifically mention they're Japanese in origin.

I'm not even sure if it's possible to force a trait onto a culture, but here's the code for it if you want to shave like a minute off your programming time for whenever you get around to programming Neko and Kitsune events.

I tested it and it works with Vanilla, CK2, the Mythos mod, the Assassin's Creed mod, DW Rebuild, a frankenstein of current Dark World and Rebuild, and all of those combined. Odd choices, but those are my most played mods so I wanted to make sure it doesn't conflict. Which it doesn't.

The only thing it relies on is the mongol graphics pack which is sadly the closest to Japanese we're gonna get with ethnicity.

I was planning on linking a Runestone like decision to it, but like rename it to "Shrine" or something. Sadly I can't find any guide that shows anything relating to Runestones, nor can I find a guide showing how to program an event like that from scratch.

Use it, alter it, ignore it entirely. I just thought I'd share since I'm making all the Nekos and Kitsunes I spawn this culture.

PS. Do you plan on making Orc specific events? If not I may make that my next learning experience.

Did you mean to attach something? I'm not seeing something if you did.

And since the orient isn't really represented in the game, I was looking more at including them at some point via a traveling merchant style event.

Simple.

You're on your own then. We can't give you a special patch or anything because it would only make things worse.

IMO the most obvious thing to check would be a compatibility problem between the Rebuild mod and the patch. Try not running both at the same time, to see if it fixes the problem. Don't forget you can get rid of the damn Harleys / Jokers one by one with console commands.

Well, it worked with only minor issues before, so you can't blame people for faultily assuming it still would.