[mod] [CK2] Dark World: Reborn - Updated 01MAY2024

Where does the classic monsters content lie on your priorities?

I remember a specific event chain involving hearing about werewolves, investigating them, hunting them down etc in the old dark world.

All that I can say right now is I'm focused on finishing up the work I intended on the Spend Time With and Bordello related events. After that, it'll likely be a stab at a secret society or two.

One of the societies I'm thinking about is vampire related, but we'll see.

It'll be good to see more monsters running around. There should be quite a bit of content from old DW that you could borrow so you don't have to write everything from scratch.

game does not pruning if HP is above 7

also minimal age is 40 (idk,game tend to not give a shit about that one tho) it's all in defines.lua

in 2.6 there were a change for "characters of interests"

• Characters who are marked as special interest by the player, or immune to pruning are no longer killed by the court cleanser
but alas,game doesnt give a flying fuck either,so it all about HP.
Doesn't setting a spawned character as "historical = yes" protect them?

Where does the classic monsters content lie on your priorities?

I remember a specific event chain involving hearing about werewolves, investigating them, hunting them down etc in the old dark world.

All that I can say right now is I'm focused on finishing up the work I intended on the Spend Time With and Bordello related events. After that, it'll likely be a stab at a secret society or two.

One of the societies I'm thinking about is vampire related, but we'll see.

It'll be good to see more monsters running around. There should be quite a bit of content from old DW that you could borrow so you don't have to write everything from scratch.

Actually pulling content from the old Dark World is more problematic than you may realize, as the code methods have grown since then and some of the stuff that hasn't come over yet was some pretty ugly code, the images don't fit the new layout, some of the localization would be out of place with how things have changed, etc.

Every time I bring something over now, it's a decent re-write. And I don't think there was that much more 'monster' content in the old DW, outside of the hunters and the one werewolf event chain.

I'm not done bringing over old DW content, but what comes over in many cases will be re-envisioned or at least re-written.

also minimal age is 40 (idk,game tend to not give a shit about that one tho) it's all in defines.lua

• Characters who are marked as special interest by the player, or immune to pruning are no longer killed by the court cleanser

I don't plan on boosting the hit points, for from what I can see, 4-5 is average, and very few ever hit the 7 hp threshold.

I might tweak a few to add the 'historical = yes' flag if it's applicable to a story chain, but I'll need to consider it.

I didn't make Dark World to be a harem game, which is one reason I give rulers the option to opt out (banish) a lot of DW NPC's as they're discovered. The idea was never for one ruler to be able to 'collect them all.'

I don't plan on boosting the hit points, for from what I can see, 4-5 is average, and very few ever hit the 7 hp threshold.

I might tweak a few to add the 'historical = yes' flag if it's applicable to a story chain, but I'll need to consider it.

I didn't make Dark World to be a harem game, which is one reason I give rulers the option to opt out (banish) a lot of DW NPC's as they're discovered. The idea was never for one ruler to be able to 'collect them all.'

However, catching them all and making them immortal as a duccubus is a pretty good fun, I must say.

And yes, adding historical = yes to a create_character should protect them from early pruning. Much safer than modifying court size thresholds or other stuff.

Because they do not get any new recruits.

You have exactly one Hermione and one Sorcey, when they are dead they are dead.

Oh, odd! Especially considering the cost to build the tower..

The cost to build the Wizards Tower isn't abnormal compared to other buildings. If it's really pricey or takes a long time, it could have to do with your tech levels. There is one that reduces cost and time.

And while they might not generate revenue - they do promote the technology growth, which is important (at least to me).

The fact that you can get a couple NPC's out of it is just a bonus.

Any idea how I could go about modding the futa on futa "visit lover" event to have a pregnancy chance for both partners? I tried adding the check for pregnancy event to the futa/futa visit in DWcore.txt events but it didn't do much.

The first thing would be to just add a pregnancy check to the event. From a quick look, it appears that I only have one futa/futa visit type event in place, and it's an oral based event.

Or you could give it a couple weeks and hope that I get an event added that actually includes futa/futa intercourse in the expanded visits I'll be adding. There is a chance I'll forget and overlook adding one though, so it's your call.

Any idea how I could go about modding the futa on futa "visit lover" event to have a pregnancy chance for both partners? I tried adding the check for pregnancy event to the futa/futa visit in DWcore.txt events but it didn't do much.

The first thing would be to just add a pregnancy check to the event. From a quick look, it appears that I only have one futa/futa visit type event in place, and it's an oral based event.

Or you could give it a couple weeks and hope that I get an event added that actually includes futa/futa intercourse in the expanded visits I'll be adding. There is a chance I'll forget and overlook adding one though, so it's your call.

How would I go about doing it? I added this to the futa/futa event in DWcore.txt

"hidden_tooltip = { event_target:dw_visit_target = { character_event = { id = DWCore.9000 }}} # Pregnancy check for the lover

hidden_tooltip = { event_target:dw_visit_target = { character_event = { id = DWCore.9005 }}} # Pregnancy check for player"

but it didn't seem to do much. Glad to hear you're still updating, I love the mod.

How would I go about doing it? I added this to the futa/futa event in DWcore.txt

"hidden_tooltip = { event_target:dw_visit_target = { character_event = { id = DWCore.9000 }}} # Pregnancy check for the lover

hidden_tooltip = { event_target:dw_visit_target = { character_event = { id = DWCore.9005 }}} # Pregnancy check for player"

but it didn't seem to do much. Glad to hear you're still updating, I love the mod.

One thing to check, is how fertile each participant is. Remember, in Dark World, while futa's can typically be considered sex crazed, they're also very infertile.

Activate the console and enter charinfo, which will then show you additional information when you hover over their portraits, and you can see things like their fertility rating. There are ways to improve fertility ratings, such as your focus or traits.

I'm not sure if this is because I'm running CK2+ along with DW, since I haven't ran either just by themselves.

But 2 things I've noticed are, 1) Shantae the whore seems to spawn everywhere, at least 2, up to 7 at every court. Is there a way to disable her generating? She's filling up bastard kids everywhere and it's kind of tiring to see the same name and portrait.

2) The event window after a siege if you're leading, to rape one of the prisoners pop up twice. This one I'm pretty sure is CK2+ related since CK2+ also give you the option to capture more prisoners... is there a way to remove that extra pop up?

Lastly, I'm not sure if I like the bigger event window since it takes up so much screen, most of the times I have to move it since it blocks up the trait section of the character window that I want to see, which part of the code is it that I can remove it or reduce the size?

I'm not sure if this is because I'm running CK2+ along with DW, since I haven't ran either just by themselves.

But 2 things I've noticed are, 1) Shantae the whore seems to spawn everywhere, at least 2, up to 7 at every court. Is there a way to disable her generating? She's filling up bastard kids everywhere and it's kind of tiring to see the same name and portrait.

2) The event window after a siege if you're leading, to rape one of the prisoners pop up twice. This one I'm pretty sure is CK2+ related since CK2+ also give you the option to capture more prisoners... is there a way to remove that extra pop up?

Lastly, I'm not sure if I like the bigger event window since it takes up so much screen, most of the times I have to move it since it blocks up the trait section of the character window that I want to see, which part of the code is it that I can remove it or reduce the size?

Try to open interface/zdw_narrative_eventwindow.gui and e.g. in line 16 write "scale = 0.9" (0.9 is a tentative value, meaning that it will be reduced to 90% of it's real size). 

Note that I've seen scale = x work on icons and buttons, don't really know if it'll work directly on windows, but it's your easiest shot, and the alternative involve many image editings as well as more comprehensive modifications of that .gfx file.

Also note that you test different sizes ingame. Run the game, modify and save the file, use the "reload zdw_narrative_eventwindow.gui" console command and then fire any narrative event with the console to see the changes.

Dewguru, regarding the "two Shantaes" issue someone mentioned above, I suspect the code in events/DWWhoring.txt line 22+ might not correspond to the intended purpose. As they are now, the triggers to preclude Shantae with the modifier of factor 0 mean: "be an ai, not have fae content, not have these flags" and thus if a character is an ai but DOESN't have fae content OR has one of the two flags, and in particular, if a character is an ai with the has global flag de_created_shantae, then it won't get the modifier, so it might create shantae again.

I think the modifier should instead be 

modifier = {
  factor = 0 # zero chance of it happening if they fae content is off and/or the bordello pole dancer option has been done
  OR = {
    ai = yes # we don't want the ai running this option
    has_fae_content = no
    has_global_flag = dw_bordello_poledancer
    has_global_flag = dw_created_shantae # we only want to create her once so if this is present we zero out
  }
}

Edit: Also I see that you've duplicated some vanilla scripted_effects wanted to overwrite/replace them. Unfortunately, that's not how the engine will process them. Instead when it sees two scripted triggers/effects with the same name, it will "paste" them together. In practice when an duplicated effect is called, it will first executed the effect in one file, then execute the effect in another.

Just a heads up since it can crate weird/unexpected behaviours if done unknowingly.

Dewguru, regarding the "two Shantaes" issue someone mentioned above, I suspect the code in events/DWWhoring.txt line 22+ might not correspond to the intended purpose. As they are now, the triggers to preclude Shantae with the modifier of factor 0 mean: "be an ai, not have fae content, not have these flags" and thus if a character is an ai but DOESN't have fae content OR has one of the two flags, and in particular, if a character is an ai with the has global flag de_created_shantae, then it won't get the modifier, so it might create shantae again.

I think the modifier should instead be 

modifier = {
  factor = 0 # zero chance of it happening if they fae content is off and/or the bordello pole dancer option has been done
  OR = {
    ai = yes # we don't want the ai running this option
    has_fae_content = no
    has_global_flag = dw_bordello_poledancer
    has_global_flag = dw_created_shantae # we only want to create her once so if this is present we zero out
  }
}

Edit: Also I see that you've duplicated some vanilla scripted_effects wanted to overwrite/replace them. Unfortunately, that's not how the engine will process them. Instead when it sees two scripted triggers/effects with the same name, it will "paste" them together. In practice when an duplicated effect is called, it will first executed the effect in one file, then execute the effect in another.

Just a heads up since it can crate weird/unexpected behaviours if done unknowingly.

The Shantae error has already been raised and I've already made a modification. I've said it'll be in the next release which is targeted for this coming weekend.

Where are you getting the details on how it handles the merge on the scripted_effects? I didn't see the details when I looked at the wiki - just the vague 'Merge' and not all merges happen alike with CK2. Right now I've not noticed anything odd, so I'm not going to sweat it, but if you've a threat that goes into with some detail for scripted_effects and scripted triggers, then I'll read it over and see if any adjustments would apply.

Well, i tested it myself, saw that weird behaviour, posted a bug report, and was told that's how it works.

So, basically the game loads vanilla and mods files in alphabetical order.

Say in file b.txt you have

my_code = {

prestige = 100

}

but inf file a.txt you have

my_code = {

piety = 100

}

when you put "my_code = yes" in an event or similar the game will interpret it as

"

piety = 100

prestige = 100

"

because a.txt is loaded before b.txt.

Now that you mention it, I should make my first contribution to the wiki with that.

Edit: another little tip for the future.

Say you have a building chain b_1 -> b_2 -> b_3. When you build b_1 and then upgrade to b_2, b_1 is not removed, but b_2 instead is built "on top" of the previous one, so to speak.

This meansthat if you want to check the existence of a building chain in a place, you only need to xheck for the first level, there's no need to have an or={} of all the levels.

This doesnt seem to be answered in the FAQ or in any other forums I can find, but I was wondering if there would be any way to add the traits to the ruler designer. 

Are you talking about the Race Traits (Succubus, Werewolf, Vampire, etc. ) or the generic Traits added by this mod.

Most generic ones are aledy added in the ruler Designer(Heterochromia, Virgin, Gladiator). Every other one is either added to your charater through the game rules (Race Traits + Futa/Trap) or automaticly after starting the Game (Size of Body parts).

It is still possible to add all traits through the cheat menu. To learn the proper names for this you have to go here:

\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\Dark World Reborn\common\traits\dw_traits.txt

This doesnt seem to be answered in the FAQ or in any other forums I can find, but I was wondering if there would be any way to add the traits to the ruler designer. 

Are you talking about the Race Traits (Succubus, Werewolf, Vampire, etc. ) or the generic Traits added by this mod.

Most generic ones are aledy added in the ruler Designer(Heterochromia, Virgin, Gladiator). Every other one is either added to your charater through the game rules (Race Traits + Futa/Trap) or automaticly after starting the Game (Size of Body parts).

It is still possible to add all traits through the cheat menu. To learn the proper names for this you have to go here:

\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\Dark World Reborn\common\traits\dw_traits.txt

He's thinking about the "customizer = yes" command. And while it does add dw traits after a few days or so, you can't control what trait (breast size, dick size) you'll get, so adding them to the RD is a way to control that.

Well, i tested it myself, saw that weird behaviour, posted a bug report, and was told that's how it works.

So, basically the game loads vanilla and mods files in alphabetical order.

Say in file b.txt you have

my_code = {

prestige = 100

}

but inf file a.txt you have

my_code = {

piety = 100

}

when you put "my_code = yes" in an event or similar the game will interpret it as

"

piety = 100

prestige = 100

"

because a.txt is loaded before b.txt.

Now that you mention it, I should make my first contribution to the wiki with that.

Edit: another little tip for the future.

Say you have a building chain b_1 -> b_2 -> b_3. When you build b_1 and then upgrade to b_2, b_1 is not removed, but b_2 instead is built "on top" of the previous one, so to speak.

This meansthat if you want to check the existence of a building chain in a place, you only need to xheck for the first level, there's no need to have an or={} of all the levels.

Oooh. That building info is awesome. Does that apply though if a game starts with a later version of the building? Are the earlier versions considered to first be built?

He's thinking about the "customizer = yes" command. And while it does add dw traits after a few days or so, you can't control what trait (breast size, dick size) you'll get, so adding them to the RD is a way to control that.

I've no intention of removing the fields that prevent certain traits from appearing in the ruler designer. Early on it got old hearing people ask questions about why something odd was happening, only to learn that they cobbled together some kind of trait combination that began to cause issues or circumvented other events, that in turn broke event chains.

For example - some things are tracked by flag assignments, those don't get applied during the ruler designer stage, so if you went and set it where you could start with a horse cock, there's a fair chance you'll get a second cock later on as you're missing a flag associated with your junk.

So, edit and use at your own risk. If you break something because of it - delete it all and then reinstall the mod.