Lewd mods and XCOM 2

I used to think the same about me3 mods then someone figured out how to make mods act like DLC :) I get why things are a PITA for modders, I'm just surprised this game hasn't gotten over those hurdles yet.

ME3 never got anything more complex than nude and skimpy mods either though... I kept hoping it would happen, but I feel like Bioware really clamped down on modding after 'Better Sex Cutscenes' happened for Dragon Age: Origins.

LOLWUT?!??!!?! You might wanna wander over to the mod nexus again bro... you're info is flat out wrong

I am now curious as to which mods you are reffering to exactly, do you have a link to what we are missing seeing?

I used to think the same about me3 mods then someone figured out how to make mods act like DLC :) I get why things are a PITA for modders, I'm just surprised this game hasn't gotten over those hurdles yet.

ME3 never got anything more complex than nude and skimpy mods either though... I kept hoping it would happen, but I feel like Bioware really clamped down on modding after 'Better Sex Cutscenes' happened for Dragon Age: Origins.

I think so too, they really didn't let modders do anything after that, at least not without kludging things in.  What modding was done for ME3 is again mostly playing with the assets, nothing really changes the game in any way.  It's just with so much of the game in cut scenes, you have a bit more ability to mess with it by hacking the cut scene, which isn't the same as the main game.

It is impressive work what has been done, but it is still very limited.

I think he's probably referring to the expanded map mod, which just got hidden, I think there's a major bug with the last update.

Changes everything from missions to added crew members, almost like a whole new game.

Hadn't heard about that one.  That is impressive.  I wonder if someone got a copy of the source somehow? 

At any rate, remember ME3 is five years old now, so clearly whatever they did wasn't easy.  And I don't believe either DarkTellyTubby or myself ever said such things were impossible, just not easy.  The level of effort for something like that is high, and to just turn XCom into an alien rape game...?  Honestly, I doubt anyone would make the effort.  Someone might, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I am curious how they are doing some of these things like the new companions, but I will have to stick with that most of these still sound like just adding or playing with assets in the game, the part I am curious about is how they are triggered in the game.  And actually... come to think of it, with the game already being designed to add companions (Javik for example) there is already a provision in the code for doing that.  And in fact there is a provision in the code for adding quests and everything...

So, what essentially I think they are doing is tricking the game into thinking there is a new DLC.  Using provisions in the code to treat the homebrew DLC as sanctioned software (and honestly, that may not be a big deal, only if Bioware were being control freak dicks would they add in a pile of code to prevent homebrewed DLC - may not have even thought people would do it), so the game takes in the DLC just as it did any of the paid for DLC - no modification to the existing code necessary, just already considered provisions for new destinations on the galaxy map, new encounters, new quests, new companions, new cut scenes, etc. - and adds checking the new files to what it is keeping track of, and calling the added assets when required.  All running on the established framework in the same way as everything else in the game.

Still an impressive piece of work, creating their own DLC for the game, but not as radical a change to the game as it seems.  Even the expanded galaxy could be using the same provisions.  Still not changing the code though, just being creative with what it allows you to do.

I just found the tool that people are using to do mods for ME3 (ME3 Explorer), and its not even as big a deal as I thought - although I think the base logic is still sound.  ME3 modders are just playing with the assets, no different than we do in XCom2.  In fact reading through it, while the graphic engine and core game engine have both changed dramatically since Baldur's Gate, the backend asset management system is just an evolution of the Infinity Engine dating all the way back to BG (almost 20 years old now).

I shouldn't be surprised though, it was obvious in the KotOR files, it was still visible in Dragon's Age... why re-invent the wheel when all you need to do is refine it?

Now, someone did have to make these tools - because unlike Firaxis with ModBuddy, EA/Bioware didn't give them out.  They had to do it for the Infinity Engine, and again for KotOR too, so possible and obviously working from a common base point of reference (but, never think that a tool meant for one game will work for another game using the same sort of engine, it won't), that's still a pretty good piece of work (and not without its problems I'm sure).  But when it comes right down to it, all they are doing in ME3 is the same thing as we do with XCom2 - playing with the assets.  There is a bunch of data files that handles all this stuff, again just like in XCom2.

• Conditionals Editor to edit plot conditions
  • Dialogue Editor to edit conversations
  • Level Editor to edit levels
  • Meshplorer to assist with mesh editing
  • Package Editor and ME3Creator to edit PCC files
  • Plot Editor to edit quest maps, codices, and state events
  • Sequence Editor to edit kismet sequences
  • Soundplorer to extract and replace game audio
  • Texplorer to extract and replace game textures
  • TLK Editor to convert between TLK/XML files

Even the graphics editing is just adding assets referenced by the data files.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if a lot of the stuff in DLCs just does something very similar (so... I wasn't wrong per se in saying the mods act like a DLC, but it was overstating the case).

But... you won't see the cover system improved in a mod, you won't see sword fighting with your Omni-blade as a part of battle, your characters won't be able to grab the gun out of a Cerberus soldier's hand and shoot him with it (not without making it a cut scene at any rate), you won't see a Cerberus soldier pulling Ashley's panties down and ass fucking her in the middle of a combat (again without it being a cut scene), or any fundamental change to the game.  Because the core code remains intact and unaltered.

Not impossible even so, but... very difficult.  And as I said, probably not worth the bother.

All this talk about the challenges of modding XCOM2 brings me back to an idea that I myself presented early on in another thread about XCOM2 modding. The idea then was of taking the grab/seize/hold ability of the snake aliens and giving that ability to say sectoids, and assign a 'molestation' animation as the 'grab and holding' animation for that ability. I'm not at all aware if it is possible to take one alien's ability and give it to another, but I imagine it's possible to have characters play a different animation by just replacing the original, yes? That's basically the gist here, not adding anything actually new, but re-purposing an ability already in place and replacing animations.

Does that sound more viable?

All this talk about the challenges of modding XCOM2 brings me back to an idea that I myself presented early on in another thread about XCOM2 modding. The idea then was of taking the grab/seize/hold ability of the snake aliens and giving that ability to say sectoids, and assign a 'molestation' animation as the 'grab and holding' animation for that ability. I'm not at all aware if it is possible to take one alien's ability and give it to another, but I imagine it's possible to have characters play a different animation by just replacing the original, yes? That's basically the gist here, not adding anything actually new, but re-purposing an ability already in place and replacing animations.

Does that sound more viable?

That does sound viable.  Abilities and powers can be assigned to anyone, that's not a problem, it's how the various new enemies have been created in mods; by playing around with stats and powers.

Now, most of the powers have stock animations that can be applied to anyone, the grab and wrap animation is a somewhat unique animation for the snake woman.  But it is unlikely to be embedded in the game, everything else is assigned through the asset files, it doesn't make sense for this one to be any different.  The unusual part would be assigning the animation for a Sectoid, but if a new animation were created, in theory I don't see any problem with the idea. 

Making a new animation and getting to interact with other models without it looking like complete shit, that will be the hard part. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, you could give Bind to a Sectoid, but it has only one special animation, Mindspin, which doesn't fit at all.

It's definitely possible to work with animations because the Sassy Viper mod exists, but nobody seems to want to go through the hassle. Musashi was asked with his covert weapon mods why they all used the vanilla animations and his answer was basically "it's too much work".

The other thing which stands out to me is while all the weapons and armor, and even the real MECs from EU were ported to X2, no one to date has touched all the missing enemies. Thin Men, Floaters, Mectoids, Cyberdiscs, so many missing guys who would make fun additions to the game, and no one has done it. That's what makes me think it's a real pain in the ass.

It might be a situation like Skyrim where someone has to make a mod which makes changing animations easy to do. Apparently you couldn't mod X2's music until someone made a mod to make it possible, either.

Eyes bigger than plates..... check

Crazy gravity defying hair..... check.....

School girl outfit..... check

Now we just need a 8 ft. long sword 20 times the body weight of the wielder and we'll be set! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas everybody!

Here's an assortment of all kinds of goodies, split into 3 packs. If you already had my previous Torso and Leg pack, just delete those and use these instead. Don't worry, previous content is still here.

This does it for my lewd modding for the remainder of the year. I'll be back in 2017 hopefully with some cool updates!

Happy holidays everybody!

Torso Pack 2.0

EDIT: Can't upload more than 100MB, and I can't seem to post again after myself, so funny enough, we'll have to wait for someone else to replay, so I can post the Leg Pack.

@kexx456, these are amazing!! I can't tell you how excited I was to see more underwear options. One critique (hopefully very easily fixed) is that the thong seems to be kinda patchy, in the sense that the skin/pubic hair beneath tend to show through. Also, the "booty shorts" are so short as to be somewhat hard to recognize as even being shorts, haha! Making them a tad longer might do the trick. But again, I loved loved this update. The uniform shirt that ties under the breasts makes my girls look like the chick from SuckerPunch, the movie. So hot! Also, the jeans with sweatshirt tied off around the waist are so good looking! Way to go. Seriously, I'm very impressed. I realize how much work this is for you, but whatever you continue to make I will eagerly consume. Many, many thanks!

@kexx456, these are amazing!! I can't tell you how excited I was to see more underwear options. One critique (hopefully very easily fixed) is that the thong seems to be kinda patchy, in the sense that the skin/pubic hair beneath tend to show through. Also, the "booty shorts" are so short as to be somewhat hard to recognize as even being shorts, haha! Making them a tad longer might do the trick. But again, I loved loved this update. The uniform shirt that ties under the breasts makes my girls look like the chick from SuckerPunch, the movie. So hot! Also, the jeans with sweatshirt tied off around the waist are so good looking! Way to go. Seriously, I'm very impressed. I realize how much work this is for you, but whatever you continue to make I will eagerly consume. Many, many thanks!

I think the thong is supposed to be that way, as more lace panties than thong bikini bottoms.  At least that's what i assumed, that the show through was intentional.

But having a thong bikini wouldn't be a bad option either.

It's definitely possible to work with animations because the Sassy Viper mod exists, but nobody seems to want to go through the hassle. Musashi was asked with his covert weapon mods why they all used the vanilla animations and his answer was basically "it's too much work".

As a follow up to the animation discussion, this is more and more looking to be the case; that while possible, it's a lot of damn work.  A recent mod was to give the option of making some soldiers left handed instead of everybody being rightees (feel free to insert a gauche joke, or something about Firaxis political leanings).

There was some praise for animation work, but the mod author said that he "just edited and repurposed some existing animations", again implying that it is possible to jigger with the animation, but not an easy task by any means.  That Long War introduced no new animations, and that the closest they have to a completely new unit is just a flying brick (i.e. a new model on the gremlin animation template) again implies that it is not an easy task.

As a follow up to the animation discussion, this is more and more looking to be the case; that while possible, it's a lot of damn work.  A recent mod was to give the option of making some soldiers left handed instead of everybody being rightees (feel free to insert a gauche joke, or something about Firaxis political leanings).

There was some praise for animation work, but the mod author said that he "just edited and repurposed some existing animations", again implying that it is possible to jigger with the animation, but not an easy task by any means.  That Long War introduced no new animations, and that the closest they have to a completely new unit is just a flying brick (i.e. a new model on the gremlin animation template) again implies that it is not an easy task.

That and the DLC armors, which include both custom animations and body-based physics, are encrypted and cannot be used in ModBuddy, so people can't even reverse engineer them.

These mods are all so cool. Thanks for the hard work.

I  have no idea how to mod these things but think it would be cool to has some additional tweaks.

Torso with more slender waists that joins up to existing legs making a more curvy feminine look.
Legs with bigger hips
Skinnier legs and butts
Rounder butts
Pear shaped butts (not so muscular)
Additional Tattoos that look just like fishnet stockings
Additional Tattoos that look like suspenders
Some socks
Some Skirts
Torso with a little pop belly
Torso with female six pack
Torso with wet T-Shirt

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like more variation, but fully understand if we're not getting more - there always comes a point where modding stops being fun and starts feeling like....well, work.

If someone is still having fun modding, my biggest wish would be a "Tactical Garter Belt" or something similar - having the sidearm, grenades etc magically attached to a naked hip kinda ruins it for me :D

Alright, I tried to make the mod gender neutral configurable after studying the code for about a day. Can't get capturable soldiers to work properly due to the way the game works.

From what I understand, the capturable part of the game had to override the standard soldier creation template and that's where the problem with the first version of the mod came from. Searching on the net, I see no easy way around it. So if you had problems with NotBob's version, you'll probably run into problems with the earlier version I posted.

Otherwise I added a few new variables in the XComEnslaved.ini file to help modify the game based on gender preference. It's not foolproof but hopefully it'll be enough for everyone.

Oh yeah, I also renamed the mod so that I will actually know what mod this was in a few months time when I actually have time to play XCOM 2.

it conflicts with "Safer cosmetic transitions" and "HQ animation".. is there absolutelly no way to make them work together?

I would also like more variation, but fully understand if we're not getting more - there always comes a point where modding stops being fun and starts feeling like....well, work.

If someone is still having fun modding, my biggest wish would be a "Tactical Garter Belt" or something similar - having the sidearm, grenades etc magically attached to a naked hip kinda ruins it for me :D

Heh, something to be said for that.  :D