Mod Managers

For Fallout games it's FOMM (fallout mod manager) oblivion it's OBMM (oblivion mod manager) skyrim it's NMM (nexus mod manager).

For the above games you can also use MO (mod organizer) it does have a learning curve to be able to use to properly and each one is different from the last one.

That's a big argument.  :D

People will debate that.  Tho I hear for Oblivion NMM won't install things correctly.  I don't know.  Have no experience with that.

Fallout 3 and NV, I can't get FOMM working on my computer anymore.  It just won't open.  NMM is the only manager that works for me now.  I can't explain it, can't find a reason as to why.  Only thing that I've changed is moving to windows 10.  *shrug*  Haven't had any real problems with NMM on Fallout games.

Fallout 4, NMM is the only one that I know works as of yet.

Mod Organizer is a bit advanced for novice users, but a lot of people swear by it.  I spent a couple weeks trying to use it, found it a bit much, and a bit over done personally.  I did not like it.  I use NMM for Skyrim, and Fallout.

Oblivion fallout 3 and NV NMM tends to install/uninstall things incorrectly. I don't have F0 and I probably won't till it's in the bargain bin so I have no clue what works with it and what doesn't but there will probably be a FOMM compatible version made at a later date. 

I use the FOMM vesion from the nexus as the one on LL wouldn't install for some reason.

MO I usually don't suggest to new users getting into a game as I think they need to a have some experience using a mod manager before trying to figure out MO as it takes a bit more to get it up and running and each game is different on how to get it up and running.

I am using Mod Organizer which is great but like people said you have to know what you are doing.  I just started a Oblivion that I have been putting together for 3 weeks.  A very small issue cost me 3 days that I first blamed MO for but it was me being stupid.  However, now that I think about it the same problem would have happen with any manager but I might have figured out the problem sooner.

The thing that makes MO better then any other organizer is the ability to have multiple setup of mods and have non of them installed.  I had a problem with getting Basic primary Needs, Hud Status bars, and Darn UI working together.  I have 80 plus mods going.  With MO I made a new profile with just those 3 mods active.  Then I replaced and added mods until I found the problem.   Then I went back to my 80+ mod profile and made the changes to get the mods working.  All in all this took about 10 to 15 minutes.   With any other manager you are looking at major headache and the real potential of screwing up your install.  And now that I think about it I could have just copied my 80+ mod profile and had absolute zero chance of screwing up the original.

Anyway I still use OBMM through MO to unpack mods made for it and then turn them into MO mods.  I also use Wyre Bash through MO to make Bash Patches.   

Biggest problem with MO is it can't install OBSE plugins.   This is minor problem for me though because I never seen a OBSE plugin where load order matters or one that has conflict issues with anything other than itself.  Also i can just install them using WF or OBMM if I really wanted. 

For anyone new to this I would go with Wyre Bash.  The Oblivion STEP guide uses that as the main organizer.   

Archived