What is a good list of mods?

I played a decent amount of daggerfall and waaaaaay too much skyrim, I never got to far into morrowind and only went through the tutorial of oblivion. I figure it's finally time to give Oblivion a real chance, what mods do I need to to make my game, my characters, and my npcs look great, and what mods are must haves?

Also is there anything I should know before modding it?

Before modding it:

Do not install the game in C:/program files (x86)

Tools like OBSE, Pluggy, stutter remover, 4GB exe patcher,.....

For Mod sorting (load order ) do NOT use LOOT !!!! use BOSS

Modmanager: NO NO NO Nexus Modmanager ! use OBMM or TESMM

Some basic stuff: read my yellow Link below.

Before modding it:

Do not install the game in C:/program files (x86)

Tools like OBSE, Pluggy, stutter remover, 4GB exe patcher,.....

For Mod sorting (load order ) do NOT use LOOT !!!! use BOSS

Modmanager: NO NO NO Nexus Modmanager ! use OBMM or TESMM

Some basic stuff: read my yellow Link below.

That link is where I started, I was looking for mod recommendations as well.

Someone has read my link before I mentioned it. :)

But you asked "Also is there anything I should know before modding it?" that's why I mentioned my Link. Many people starts with wrong game installation, Modmanager and sorting tool.

And then they post "Why doesn't it work?"

-------------------------------

And "npcs look great" it's a matter of taste.

Some people like "manga" characters and use MBP ( and clothes like school uniforms )

If you want more lore characters you can try

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44676/?

If you want non-dmra armor sets and can mostly add them ingame yourself. You could check out mine, risray, chakaru, elalqumista, qazzqazz/clowqazz mashups.

I personally use my own ever-changing SirArtsy enb (sort of performance friendly), some replacers from elbethien (see nexus) and discovery1, other than water and some flora, my graphics are vanilla. NPCs are OCOv2 powered and bodies i use are ZKEC (female) + Room207 editions of Robert males.

I put in about 200 hours into Oblivion and had over 100 mods going.  Never came close to finishing the main quest or the major side quests.   So many years later I'm trying it again.

Below is my current list of mods

GIGABITE - FemBoy Body = playing as a girlish looking boy
SetBody Reloaded Blockhead Edition = randomly changes bodies 7000+ combos
Unofficial Oblivion Patch = bug fixing
Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch = bug fixing
Unofficial Oblivion DLC Patches = bug fixing (Might not have the DLC)
Oblivion mod manager = Using to unpack some mods
Mod Organizer (skyrim) =Main manager to keep data clean
DarNified UI = PC UI instead of dumb console UI
Oblivion Script Extender - OBSE = Needed for most mods
Oblivion Character Overhaul version 2 =Makes the NPCs look better
Blockhead = Needed for setbody and some other mods
Wrye Bash =Needed to make bash patch
Oblivion Reloaded - OBGE v4 = Makes things look better, dual wield weapons, shield on back
Boss = Makes you play like a boss or sort mods
4gb Ram Patcher = Breaking ram limit might prevent crashes
Fast Exit = Exit game without crashing
Companion Vilja = Companion to travel with
Shadowcrest Vineyard and Shadowcrest Vineyard COBL = House to live in
Cobol = framework allowing food and drink to work in different mods
Basic Primary Needs = Need to sleep, drink, eat, and stay clean. Need to poop also
Camping = If you use a need mod you need a camping mod

I think this is a pretty basic setup for me. My main goal is to finish the main game and DLC.   I might remove setbody and fembody.  If I do I'll replace them with standard body replacers people are using.  I don't have it on my list but I will add a mod that replaces all the vanilla armor to whatever I have Setbody set mostly as.  The Fembody mod comes with armor in box .  

I didn't see Oblivion Stutter Remover, one I'd never run Oblivion without. It removes stuttering and improves FPS, among other things.

Depending on your specific results with HEAP with the above OSR, you can also add MoreHeap to that.

Settings for both of these are dependent on your specific O/S, RAM memory, Vid card, etc.; very hardware/software configuration dependent; no one-size (settings) fits all.

But Abortionist had read my yellow Link and stutter remover is included ( also that Fast Exit is included in stutter remover ) And all other tools and TES4Edit for Modding and cleaning and CS/CSE....

Think now she/he is looking for Mods.

NPC beautification ; I only use meshes (HGEC and Roberts male) and Textures replacer (  a mix of different textures replacers...I do not remember which.)

Landscape beautification: I like Unique Landscapes.

New Land: ElsweyrAnequina, DibellasWatch, Stirk, Viking Village ( ValenwoodImproved I have uninstall, nice Landscape but the southern cities are almost empty ,and most Houses without Furnishings. And no quests (  except for a few mini quests. e.g. find a few herbs ) ) And the German Mods  "marodan_osdakal" ( An island with a town and village, good main quest and some side quests ) and  "Orden des Drachen" ( Orden des Drachen : best and biggest Mod ever made, fully voiced ( german) , MainQuest better and bigger as the Oblivion MainQuest, a new World ( Mephala realm) almost half the size of Cyrodiil ) There is english translation at Nexus ( only the dialogs not the voices )

New races: too many...ask 10 people and you get 10 different best race Mods. Search here and Nexus and other Mod pages.  ....my best race....see my Avatar pic. Race Shriddan ( but was deleted at Nexus a year ago. I can only find some russian Links )

Archived