everytime i start a fresh vanilla game it starts off as totally broken

all that happens wrong is the imperial carriage carrying me and the stormcloaks doesnt move at all

ive reinstalled Skyrim unistalled it and reinstalled like 3 times and this is still happening

only way around this is using Live Another Life or anything but vanilla's start

What mods do you have installed? If you use NMM when you did the uninstall reinstall did you delete your skyrim folder then uninstall it from steam then reinstall it back? If you are using MO not sure on what to do since I don't use it. If you didn't delete your skyrim folder then there is a high chance you still have stuff from your old game in there as when you uninstall steam only uninstalls what it installed itself anything else gets left behind to cause havoc if you don't delete the whole folder.

As Myuhinny said, you probably have old files left over from the previous install. Best course of action is:

Uninstall Skyrim via Steam

Then go to your C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local folder and delete the Skyrim folder there

Reinstall Skyrim via Steam

This has always worked well for me.

Hope it helps.

What mods do you have installed? If you use NMM when you did the uninstall reinstall did you delete your skyrim folder then uninstall it from steam then reinstall it back? If you are using MO not sure on what to do since I don't use it. If you didn't delete your skyrim folder then there is a high chance you still have stuff from your old game in there as when you uninstall steam only uninstalls what it installed itself anything else gets left behind to cause havoc if you don't delete the whole folder.

you mean 1st go into program files 86 > steam > steam apps > common... and delete the skyrim folder from there?

no i thought unistalling it was the same as that but it sounds like it just recovers the files if i simply unistall and reinstall rather than giving me a totally fresh "restored to factory settings" skyrim.

yeah that would make sense. im using 

- FNIS, ZAZ, HALO POSER, SEXLAB & ITS MODS, CBBE, A LOT OF APPEARANCE MODS EYES HAIR, HDT, KNIGHTMARES TBBP, SOME LIGHTING STUFF, BASICALLY JUST ANIMATIONS AND COSMETICS, ONLY QUEST RELATED IS LIVE ANOTHER LIFE.

errr also im having a bad time with The HD DLC its esp.s are active in NMM and the three BSA.s & three ESP.s are in the data folder but everytime I play since yesterday that i was activating other mods everything in the game world has really soft low res textures and exposed seamlines

So yeah going into 86 > steam > steam apps > common and deleting the skyrim folder and reinstalling should give me a fresh skyrim?

Yes deleting the whole skyrim folder then uninstall through steam then reinstall will give you a new install. Otherwise you run the risk of leftovers being left in your skyrim folder and later can cause problems with a new game. 86 > steam > steam apps > common - skyrim folder. Or you can learn to use MO (mod organizer) which makes a new folder where everything gets installed at and it leaves your install file alone.

Yes deleting the whole skyrim folder then uninstall through steam then reinstall will give you a new install. Otherwise you run the risk of leftovers being left in your skyrim folder and later can cause problems with a new game. 86 > steam > steam apps > common - skyrim folder. Or you can learn to use MO (mod organizer) which makes a new folder where everything gets installed at and it leaves your install file alone.

Thanks hinny for the heads up I'll get right on it! yeah I should go with MO

but I tried it before and I think it wont let me manage mods installed with NMM, so does that mean I cant activate/deactivate mods installed with NMM when I use MO?

I'm not sure as I don't use MO but there is a MO thread here on LL for getting any info you might need. NMM installs to your game folder MO installs to a virtual game folder so you would probably have problems since anything in NMM wouldn't be in the MO virtual game folder.

:-/ so I did this, nuked the Skyrim folder in Common, went in to my trash bin to finalize it. popped the disc in to reinstall- it took two days bc my internet is garbage since i moved. during 50% i noticed i still had NMM and skse then i figured I should nuke those too because it might leave residue of somekind.

finally finished the skyrim download of 11gb last night I was happy and ready to get back to it. started new game it fixed the HD DLC problem given the alduin model in the 1st load screen. it took long i went to the kitchen to get some food came back it had a black screen I figured it wasnt a big deal went to get a drink I come back and my computer is scanning and repairing drive C... that scared the shit out of me thankgod i lost nothing...except the goddamn HD DLC stopped working again for the 4th time also NMM was buggy I destroyed and unistalled it but after intaling it again it had all my mods greyed out and said they were active because there wasnt a green check mark but I checked the plugins and it was only bethesda's stuff I looked to the bottom of NMM it said 78 mods active too

deactivating/activating mods was a bitch it took crazy long and I got trace errors and NMM wanted to force close on me so many times

:(  so this time I nuked the data folder in skyrim and all else then the empty skyrim folder, went to NMM to unistall it from its folder in drive C then nuke anything else in there- would that make sure this time around in NMM i dont get that weird stuff happening again?

:-/ so I did this, nuked the Skyrim folder in Common, went in to my trash bin to finalize it. popped the disc in to reinstall- it took two days bc my internet is garbage since i moved. during 50% i noticed i still had NMM and skse then i figured I should nuke those too because it might leave residue of somekind.

finally finished the skyrim download of 11gb last night I was happy and ready to get back to it. started new game it fixed the HD DLC problem given the alduin model in the 1st load screen. it took long i went to the kitchen to get some food came back it had a black screen I figured it wasnt a big deal went to get a drink I come back and my computer is scanning and repairing drive C... that scared the shit out of me thankgod i lost nothing...except the goddamn HD DLC stopped working again for the 4th time also NMM was buggy I destroyed and unistalled it but after intaling it again it had all my mods greyed out and said they were active because there wasnt a green check mark but I checked the plugins and it was only bethesda's stuff I looked to the bottom of NMM it said 78 mods active too

deactivating/activating mods was a bitch it took crazy long and I got trace errors and NMM wanted to force close on me so many times

:(  so this time I nuked the data folder in skyrim and all else then the empty skyrim folder, went to NMM to unistall it from its folder in drive C then nuke anything else in there- would that make sure this time around in NMM i dont get that weird stuff happening again?

The "delete skyrim and reinstall" option is always a painful one, and something that should be considered a last resort in troubleshooting (no matter how valid) due to the extreme amount of time and effort it takes to recover from it.

Now that you've done that insanely difficult step of reinstalling the game and all your mods, use NMM's "Automatic Plugin Sorting" feature (uses LOOT rules).  You'll find that under the X icon made up of a screwdriver and wrench.  After that is complete, try starting a new game and see how it behaves.

Something to consider if you have the disk space for it...keep a vanilla install of Skyrim (no 3rd party mods) in another folder.  Do this by simply renaming your existing install and doing a new install.  After, rename the new install to "skyrim_vanilla" or whatever so you can rename your modded install back to "skyrim".

The "delete skyrim and reinstall" option is always a painful one, and something that should be considered a last resort in troubleshooting (no matter how valid) due to the extreme amount of time and effort it takes to recover from it.

Now that you've done that insanely difficult step of reinstalling the game and all your mods, use NMM's "Automatic Plugin Sorting" feature (uses LOOT rules).  You'll find that under the X icon made up of a screwdriver and wrench.  After that is complete, try starting a new game and see how it behaves.

Something to consider if you have the disk space for it...keep a vanilla install of Skyrim (no 3rd party mods) in another folder.  Do this by simply renaming your existing install and doing a new install.  After, rename the new install to "skyrim_vanilla" or whatever so you can rename your modded install back to "skyrim".

so youre telling me I can just copy all the insides of a fresh clean virgin install of skyrim as a backup for whenever i get a fuckup i cant fix- i wasnt sure if that would work bc steam, but that sounds very handy bc i hate downloading gb's

so youre telling me I can just copy all the insides of a fresh clean virgin install of skyrim as a backup for whenever i get a fuckup i cant fix- i wasnt sure if that would work bc steam, but that sounds very handy bc i hate downloading gb's

Yes.

did also delete your ini files skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini ?? If you made changes to them during the other install anything you fucked up in them will return even after a fresh install, so also make sure to delete this ini before even starting a new game and fallout will auto make new ini for your new game.

Archived