CTD during combat out of no where mid play through

Lately I've been crashing when ever i start fighting. No matter where I am, no matter who or what I'm fighting, when I run up to an enemy to attack them, I just crash. I'm using a melee build. It doesn't happen 100% of the time if I just a gun it seems. I'm a loss. I've googled this for days but not a single other person has posted about crashing due to combat. Maybe it's happening for others but no one else is talking about it yet?

I think it started happening sometime after I installed CBBE and Bodyslide. I have no idea if maybe it has something do do with limbs not being able to get cut off and me using melee or what. I just know it's annoying trying to enjoy the game now. I've been on this save (my 6th or 7th character) for a total 9 days worth of time now. Now all of a sudden I'm crashing only during combat when i've never crashed before.

Here's my mod list. Maybe someone could shed some light on what might cause a crash during combat and/or melee combat? Sometimes I crash just from being near enemies, so I'm guessing it has nothing to do with actually attacking and just being in combat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Fallout4.esm
Homemaker.esm
ArmorKeywords.esm
ConcealedArmor.esm
GlovesOfTheCommonwealth.esp
InfiniteFusionCore.esp
Realistic Survival Damage.esp
PipBoyShadows.esp
PilesofCorpses5Days.esp
MegaExplosions_x2.esp
RichMerchantsLessCaps.esp
NoNegativeAffinity.esp
HalfAffinityCooldown.esp
functionalrings.esp
MoreWeaves.esp
Robot Home Defence.esp
Invulnerable Turrets.esp
AdvancedSkeleton.esp
Busty_alt.esp
Crafting Workbench.esp
Crafting Workbench - GlovesOfTheCommonwealth Patch.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Ammo.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Ammo Special.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Junk Items.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Power Armor.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Pre War and Manufactured.esp
ColonolNutty - Clothing Crafting.esp
Homemaker - Unlocked Institute Objects.esp
WLightSaber.esp
no_level_reqs.esp
Harness-calyps.esp
Fr4nssonsLightTweaks.esp
Busty.esp
LegendaryModification.esp
LegendaryModificationMisc.esp
PainTrain_NoPA_NoStaggerChanges.esp
cutoffs-calyps.esp
Sneaky Companions.esp
MostlyFemale.esp
AnyModAnyWeapon.esp
CTB_CarryThoseBags.esp
CTB_CWEffect_x2.esp
Simple Intersection.esp
Simple Intersection - Homemaker 1.22.esp
OCDecorator.esp
zWInsanity.esp
SpringCleaning.esp
ShaikujinSettlementAttacked.esp
DDP_Elevators_mark1.esp
DDP_Ramps_mark1.esp
CraftModFullNames.esp
Armorsmith Extended.esp
ArmorsmithExtendLegendaryModifiable.esp
Bufandmyst.esp
piperpiper.esp
Jacket.esp
CBBE.esp
curiecurie8.esp
DX Commonwealth Mini Dresses.esp
DX Chem I Care Outfit.esp
BetterArmor&WeaponNaming_by_Ruddy88.esp
BetterItemSorting.esp
1FoodPerCrop.esp
Workshop_Planters.esp
MSED.esp
ConcealedArmor.esp

really? the work benches can cause crashing during combat but zero crashing everywhere else? Because I can play around in the settlements for hours and work in the work benches as well. but only once i enter combat, thats when the crash happens. When i start the game and go into combat right away, it'll crash as well. but there's zero crashing anywhere else

Okay. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with my mod plugins. i disabled everysingle one and the results were the same.

So I can only either assume my save is corrupt or it is CBBE. I'm guessing corrupt save since no one is reporting anything about CBBE

I started a new game with all the same esp's. Got about 4 or 5 hours in and zero crashing. So I just decided to update all my mods and get rid of some that i can live without. I assume the save I had goofed at some point, probably from installing and uninstalling mods ( I know it's that a huge no-no for skyrim, but assume it's somewhat safer in Fo4, unless Bethsda did the same thing with way saves and plugins work..)

I'm having problems with fallout 4 crashing as well.  The time between crashes is random and it dosen't matter what i'm doing to cause the crash. Most times the crash is where my computer just freezes and sound is still playing as the very falmiliar "eeeeeee" sound. Other time I get returned to desktop and the game closes.

The only mods I really have are CBBE and Ponytail hair mods, but the games was crashing before i changed the .ini files or added mods.

Yes I'm up to date on my drivers.

Anno your problem could be something else. Could be hardware related. Are you using nvidia card by any chance ?? There have been allot of reports lately with nvidia cards no matter what version you have that you will get driver error occuring and kicking you out of the game when it happens. you will see a message that windows had recover from display error or something similar What you can do, right click your mouse and go into nvidia configuration screen and make sure the power management from your card is set to optimal mode instead of adeptive mode. Also make sure your card is not overheating due to dust build up could cause this from occuring more often in fallout then it was skyrim.

Anno your problem could be something else. Could be hardware related. Are you using nvidia card by any chance ?? There have been allot of reports lately with nvidia cards no matter what version you have that you will get driver error occuring and kicking you out of the game when it happens. you will see a message that windows had recover from display error or something similar What you can do, right click your mouse and go into nvidia configuration screen and make sure the power management from your card is set to optimal mode instead of adeptive mode. Also make sure your card is not overheating due to dust build up could cause this from occuring more often in fallout then it was skyrim.

I'm using a AMD Radon R9 390 8GB for graphics and 16GB memory, my computer only crashed on Fallout 4 for some reason. How come Catalyst Control Centre has been replaced with AMD Radeon settings?

Ok I think I might of found the problem. I have 2 different Fallout4Prefs.ini flies. The one in My documents > My games > Fallout4 has more stuff in it compared to the one in Fallout 4 game file. Should they both be the same?

• 2 weeks later...

From my experience, Fallout 4 is quite stable, until you over-load the sttlement menu or the crafting menu,

or suffer from a corrupted save.

If you are missing a menu, say, stores, in your settlement menu, prune your mods, open the game, save, close game, open game and see if you have your menu back.

if you are suddenly crashing to desktop randomly, or entering combat, you probably have a corrupted save, the only thing you can do then is go back until you find an uncorrupted save,

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem.. at first i thought id had to do with a certain armor type but i dont think it is, i dont know what it is tho but for me it only CTD's when i shoot certain npc's.

The only workaround i've found so far is to use the kill command in console on the troublesome npc's instead of shooting them

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a similar issue... I'm parked in front of a Deathclaw and when I kill him I CTD instantly.  I'm using Crimson drivers but no matter which I switch to it does the same thing.  No mods on at all.

I'm having the same issue, everything seems fine then I kill a random enemy and the game crashes. This started happening since the 1.3 update which is a shame since not only it improved perfomance greatly, but it also literally halved my loading times.

I don't know specifically what was causing my issue but I downgraded to Windows 7 and used the AMD update driver detection tool to automatically decide what I should have (HD7850).  I then loaded up Fallout 4 after re-configuring my Steam library to be on my SSD and it worked... no crashing!  Using the Win10 update tool in 7, I went back to Win10 and everything is still working great.  I don't get it.  I used the same exact Crimson drivers...

This must have been an issue with one of the prerequisite software packages that were misconfigured in some way on my original Windows 10 installation.  I have no clue.

I was (and still am using) Windows 7. Even after all these updates and fresh game play throughs, I'm still crashing.

It would help if everyone who get combat crashes would just post their load orders so we can see if there's a common mod we all have. I can't even even tell if it's mod related at this point I assume it has to be some obscure mod becauses there's literally no one else talking about this online right now.

• 4 years later...

Please forgive me for reviving this dead thread but I had this same problem as well, if I so much as shot at the enemy or if they shot at me, the game would crash.

For me anyway, it was caused due to wearing Kelogg's outfit. No idea why it ctd's in combat for that specific outfit but if anyone else still has this problem, you could try this out and not wear Kelogg's outfit during combat, it doesn't however crash out of combat when wearing his outfit.

Pretty weird honestly.

• 1 month later...

Part 1- The Problem
Since there seems to be no concrete fix yet, I thought I'd put my two cents in.

I've been having this problem since I installed the game. When I use any gun or melee weapon to attack female npcs (most female gunners and Desdemona are the issue) it's an instant crash, with no error window or anything. I see some of you are having the issue with deathclaws and raiders but they've been fine for me. `kill works if you know which npc causes the problem. Desdemona is protected so I had to test a lot and eventually found the only solution to be death by 4 frag mines after she was knocked down by my companions.

I'm at the point where I'm so sick of it that I need to find a solution. Using Mod Organizer I tried a profile with no enabled mods, so it's not that. Changing the nividia setting to optimal power doesn't help, especially as I just booted the game up for the first time today near a buggy gunner spawn specifically to fix the problem. The fans are fine compared to the temperatures they sometimes reach.

All drivers are updated, game files are validated and if this error is happening for deathclaws too then I doubt it's a hidden inventory item issue. So I'm completely out of ideas.

Weapon debris is off too. I don't even know what it is but I turned it off about a month ago.

Part 2: The Fix
EDIT: Yoooooo it's the Fusion Girl bodyslide outfits. Unequipped a gunner's guard outfit through console and I could kill her just fine.
Downloaded this https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/38104?tab=description and rebuilt everything in bodyslide. Keep in mind- base 'FG' outfits caused CTD, this mod's 'Fusion' outfits don't...or haven't yet. I can kill that gunner now with her clothes on!

Please try this or another outfit conversion. Don't use the 'FG' bodyslide outfits. I hope someone finds this useful!

• 2 weeks later...

The author of Buffout4 (a mod required by AAF) made a post on Sep 26th stating:

"The memory manager patch can cause crashes with certain mods which unintentionally corrupt the heap. This is not an issue with Buffout, but with them. Some of these mods include:

* True Nights: This mod has a corrupted image space adapter record that's been corrupting memory since its release.
* Looks Menu: This mod doesn't respect alignment required by the game for certain data types.

If you cannot live without these mods, you can disable the memory manager patch in the toml file or you can enable the compatibility patches in the toml.
If you are crashing on load, you can try enabling MemoryManagerDebug to find the faulting module."

Might be worth looking into as many people here use AAF