Witcher & Witcher 2

Dee383

I played both games on windows 7 and they worked fine for me as well.

That said...  the original Witcher game is... pretty bad in all honesty. Don't get me wrong, the story is pretty good, but thats about it. The graphics are weak even for the time when it came out, but the worst is the combat. Oh god the combat... Probably the worst gameplay I have seen in a very, very long time. That said, its only like $1.50 on steam so if you want to play it just for the story I would recommend just saving yourself a lot of hassle and using the invincibility mod on nexus. I would never have finished that game without it. 

Witcher 2 is such a *massive* improvement over the first game that its almost hard to believe they were developed by the same company.

• 2 weeks later...

That said...  the original Witcher game is... pretty bad in all honesty. Don't get me wrong, the story is pretty good, but thats about it. The graphics are weak even for the time when it came out, but the worst is the combat. Oh god the combat... Probably the worst gameplay I have seen in a very, very long time. That said, its only like $1.50 on steam so if you want to play it just for the story I would recommend just saving yourself a lot of hassle and using the invincibility mod on nexus. I would never have finished that game without it. 

Witcher 2 is such a *massive* improvement over the first game that its almost hard to believe they were developed by the same company.

Graphics weren´t bad for the time when it came out...

Combat - fact that it didn´t suit you, doesn´t mean that it was bad, personally, I really enjoyed it, and my friends who played it when the game came out did as well. Idea of different combat styles against different opponents was very interesting, and it was something new at that time. Also, game received positive reviews, so "the game is pretty bad" is just your opinion. 

And it really wasn´t that hard to finish it, even without using invicibility mods, or any other helpful mods, as was proven by many people who managed to finish it (including myself) ;)

Graphics weren´t bad for the time when it came out...

Combat - fact that it didn´t suit you, doesn´t mean that it was bad, personally, I really enjoyed it, and my friends who played it when the game came out did as well. Idea of different combat styles against different opponents was very interesting, and it was something new at that time. Also, game received positive reviews, so "the game is pretty bad" is just your opinion. 

And it really wasn´t that hard to finish it, even without using invicibility mods, or any other helpful mods, as was proven by many people who managed to finish it (including myself) ;)

Well if you liked the clunky combat system in the first game then more power to you I suppose, glad you enjoyed it.

As for the graphics....  Bioshock,  Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare,  Uncharted,  Final Fantasy 12 (which was for the ps2 and looks much better..) Crysis (which STILL looks pretty good) and more were all available when Witcher 1 came out. The first witcher looks like an early ps2 game  (in fact, I would argue that Final Fantasy 10 looked much better, and that was one of the first games on ps2  :-/ )

As for the postitive reviews, it does indeed have a great story, I gave it a high rating myself despite how much I hated the combat system. And yes, my not liking it is indeed my opinion, just like any other statement on whether or not a game is good. (I mean... I am sure there are people out there that enjoyed Daikatana  :P )

Witcher 1 (enhanced edition version) - the combat is on par with pretty much every game of the time (oblivion and so on).  Compared to W2 or W3, yea, it is bad.  But remember, W1 is an old game.  

However, even with an older combat system, the game is IMHO very good.  As was mentioned before, the story was quite excellent.

Witcher 2, was better in pretty much every way, but it would be a hard game to really sink your teeth into if you had not played the first game.  Again just my opinion here.

If you can find the enhanced edition of W1 and W2 (both are on steam) for a good discounted price, then by all means, grab them.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I don't know if even posting in this thread is legal anymore, and if it is, does anyone read it.

But if you do,

I just got witcher 2, and The main character keeps dying at seemingly easy quests.

I figured out to just keep feeding him potions, and that seemed to help...

Now I don't know if I'm feeding his addiction or if some mod (I use two, I think)

ran amuck.

He's looking for stairs, He's waiting for someone, and he...just...dies.

Plus (uh, this is embarrassing)

He loses clothing with no way to recover them.

Stuff I WANT to drop (Press 'Y' to drop, it says) never drops, but a mis-click of my controller's A key and his pants or his boots magically disappear.

He wins anyway, no one seems to notice, but maybe he'd die slower with clothes on.

edit: Trainers and mods just make him die faster, or instantly.

On 11.5.2018 at 3:39 PM, KM100z said:

yea ^ got witcher 1,2 and both play fine in 7 not sure if your card is good enough though? or your psu up to the challenge, I remember trying witcher 2 ages ago and at full settings even my system was getting issues from time to time.

and I have W1 and W2 bought twice.
Both first versions (W1,2 were so flawed that the games were unplayable.
I did not have internet at the time to download the updates for free, so twice full purchase price for each game.

never again!!! :smiley:

Archived