[Brainstorm] Romance Fleshed Out

herpman

So, before the switch back to this forum software, we had a decent discussion going on how we thought relationships should work.

I stated I had a particular interest in consensual encounters going forward, and to that end suggested adding a layer to the existing relationship system in order to handle added content relevant to our topic.

Someone brought up the idea of extending the romance system to include kissing, hugging, and other forms of general displays of affection.

I believe someone else mentioned coercion and manipulation techniques in order to secure sexual favors "ahead of time" at the cost of longer term relationship growth.

Well kinda i wanted to develop a relationship system for skyrim, but it turned it was too time-consuming and i abandoned it on some alpha-versions.

I wanted to give all characters custom stats, which could define their sexual preferences and how your appearance is matching their expectations.

So i've defined amount of favourpoints maximum per relationship level, so each your approach does consume them and increases your relationship points.

They do regenerate over time, so you can't chose 1st option in dialogue 10 times in a row and upgrade your relationship level, plus they have consumption multiplier with consecutive tries if speechcraft check fails and even if not.

If you choose dialogue option, which consumption is greater than current amount, it will fail, and if greater than total amount, then relationship level will decrease by 1.

Once you do succeed in several approaches for some days, relationship level will increase, increasing total amount of favourpoints and potentially unlocking new options and features, that would fail and decrease relation level on 1st level. They are considered more aggressive and more points-consuming, but do develop relationship faster. And for next levels everything is the same, but on last level you could even do things npc dislikes once or twice per day, gradually shifting their custom stats, so they slowly become biased into what you want if they are not into those things.

Well kinda i wanted to develop a relationship system for skyrim, but it turned it was too time-consuming and i abandoned it on some alpha-versions.

I wanted to give all characters custom stats, which could define their sexual preferences and how your appearance is matching their expectations.

So i've defined amount of favourpoints maximum per relationship level, so each your approach does consume them and increases your relationship points.

They do regenerate over time, so you can't chose 1st option in dialogue 10 times in a row and upgrade your relationship level, plus they have consumption multiplier with consecutive tries if speechcraft check fails and even if not.

If you choose dialogue option, which consumption is greater than current amount, it will fail, and if greater than total amount, then relationship level will decrease by 1.

Once you do succeed in several approaches for some days, relationship level will increase, increasing total amount of favourpoints and potentially unlocking new options and features, that would fail and decrease relation level on 1st level. They are considered more aggressive and more points-consuming, but do develop relationship faster. And for next levels everything is the same, but on last level you could even do things npc dislikes once or twice per day, gradually shifting their custom stats, so they slowly become biased into what you want if they are not into those things.

This sounds amazing. But yes, time consuming. :<

The thing about a Charisma check is that not everyone looks for charisma in a partner. Hell, you could have a companion adore you for a shit-poor charisma level. In my current playthrough, (level 51 atm) I've been avoiding charisma to see all the fails, and it can actually get annoying when Piper has been following you with full affection for 25 levels and never succeed in romancing.

The thing about a Charisma check is that not everyone looks for charisma in a partner. Hell, you could have a companion adore you for a shit-poor charisma level. In my current playthrough, (level 51 atm) I've been avoiding charisma to see all the fails, and it can actually get annoying when Piper has been following you with full affection for 25 levels and never succeed in romancing.

Friend zoned

To elaborate, the idea I pitched in the original thread was to have the current relationship scale exist as "friendship" and have the modded content distributed with a new scale that is initiated through the flirt dialogue(for a shortcut), or other gestures of affection(albeit more drawn out).

In the interest of keeping the characters player-sexual, as I saw someone so wittily put it, and for simplicity's sake, the new scale would basically track the expectation for romance and sex versus fulfillment. Simply put, this gauges how satisfied a character is with your frequency of interactions/intercourse.

Performing more frequent or more elaborate romantic gestures may increase your companion's expectation for sex. If your companion is at 100%, that means their appetite is being satisfied. The scale might hypothetically go over 100%, at which point the character in question becomes "oversexed" and suddenly the only thing they expect from the PC is sex.

It is likely FO4 will follow the path of the mods in Skyim for the most part. There are some romance mods. and arousal mods as well. There are contributors working on this now however without the CK and confirmed ability to import animations it is difficult to proceed. Many tools are being worked on and when those are out more direct and concise understanding of what can be done will be available. :D

Can I have metal clanging sounds whenever I try to hug Danse in power armor? Something like an entire shelf of pans falling off the wall.

What if there was a get down on one knee animation to give someone a ring?

"Oh, of course!"

*Mechanical working*

"... My knee has locked up. Could you... pass me a screwdriver?"

Quest Started: Find Danse / Nick a Screwdriver

Alternate: Lockpick the leg to free the machinery

Can I have metal clanging sounds whenever I try to hug Danse in power armor? Something like an entire shelf of pans falling off the wall.

"Oh, of course!"

*Mechanical working*

For those pans then cant be those flimsy non stick ones. They have to be the real deal. Iron skillets falling off the wall hitting each other.. um.. actually that might be the sound of someone getting it "on" in power armor.. Clank, clank, .clank.. :)

"Oh, of course!"

*Mechanical working*

For those pans then cant be those flimsy non stick ones. They have to be the real deal. Iron skillets falling off the wall hitting each other.. um.. actually that might be the sound of someone getting it "on" in power armor.. Clank, clank, .clank.. :)

Could you even fuck while in power armor? Are there flaps or something?

I noticed this as well.

For example, I really doubt someone with Cait's attitude is looking -strictly- for someone who is a Mr/Ms. Charisma, and instead would be more interested in someone whose just an all around badass who can handle themselves in the wasteland.  Yet, for whatever reason, Bethesda decided that Charisma is the only factor in romance, which is neither terribly realistic nor terribly good gameplay.

I think that's got to be one of the first things that changes.

For example, I really doubt someone with Cait's attitude is looking -strictly- for someone who is a Mr/Ms. Charisma, and instead would be more interested in someone whose just an all around badass who can handle themselves in the wasteland.  Yet, for whatever reason, Bethesda decided that Charisma is the only factor in romance, which is neither terribly realistic nor terribly good gameplay.

Apparently followers don't find genuine and charming social awkwardness attractive.

Apparently followers don't find genuine and charming social awkwardness attractive.

My gf and I find each other's social awkwardness pretty damn attractive.

I noticed this as well.

In fact it is mostly the whole dialog system being  gutted with not only being limited to 4 dialog options (ask question, be "sarcastic", yes, no with little to no variation from those 4)and dialog checks being exclusively on charisma. Nothing else exist in term of checks. In previous fallout you had dialog popping and being checked  depending on other SPECIAL (try to threaten someone ? Well you better be strong enough for that, try to talk down a scientist ? intelligence is a must but you can try this option that check your perception instead).

All of this is gone and the result does impact the romance as well. I can see many of the companions being attracted to the PC for other reasons than charisma  (Hancock would love to hang out with PC that has enough endurance to handle all the drugs) but yeah more than anything for good romance we would need to bring back a descent dialog system which is definitely a huge work as the starting point is the ghost of any  previous games (Fallout and TES)

In fact it is mostly the whole dialog system being  gutted with not only being limited to 4 dialog options (ask question, be "sarcastic", yes, no with little to no variation from those 4)and dialog checks being exclusively on charisma. Nothing else exist in term of checks. In previous fallout you had dialog popping and being checked  depending on other SPECIAL (try to threaten someone ? Well you better be strong enough for that, try to talk down a scientist ? intelligence is a must but you can try this option that check your perception instead).

All of this is gone and the result does impact the romance as well. I can see many of the companions being attracted to the PC for other reasons than charisma  (Hancock would love to hang out with PC that has enough endurance to handle all the drugs) but yeah more than anything for good romance we would need to bring back a descent dialog system which is definitely a huge work as the starting point is the ghost of any  previous games (Fallout and TES)

Well, I'm convinced.

Archived