NMM from 0.52.+to 0.70.+ ( important info, help, tips & tricks)

guys, my virtual install folder size almost 4gb, i dont know why it's so big, my actual mods are only 1.3gb, but why the virtual install folder size is so big? what if i delete it? 

DON'T!!! DO NOT DELETE VIRTUALLINSTALL FOLDER!!!!!! You will screw up your game.

No they don't take up space, the available free space on your hd doesn't decrease by twice the file size, it's just that this kind of file linking also tricks Windows properties panel into thinking they're the real deal.

If you deleted the VirtualInstall folder then the Windows file system automatically turned the hardlinked files into the real file and you completely messed up your NMM mod install.

Do not worry. NMM is not eating your HDD space. It's just an image and info about your installed mods. You are fine. :)

well thanks for that! i still have the virtual install folder. :D and what if i delete the rar files, this time the rar files must be taking the spaces right?

guys, my virtual install folder size almost 4gb, i dont know why it's so big, my actual mods are only 1.3gb, but why the virtual install folder size is so big? what if i delete it? 

DON'T!!! DO NOT DELETE VIRTUALLINSTALL FOLDER!!!!!! You will screw up your game.

No they don't take up space, the available free space on your hd doesn't decrease by twice the file size, it's just that this kind of file linking also tricks Windows properties panel into thinking they're the real deal.

If you deleted the VirtualInstall folder then the Windows file system automatically turned the hardlinked files into the real file and you completely messed up your NMM mod install.

Do not worry. NMM is not eating your HDD space. It's just an image and info about your installed mods. You are fine. :)

well thanks for that! i still have the virtual install folder. :D and what if i delete the rar files, this time the rar files must be taking the spaces right?

There is only ONE FILE in your computer regardless if it looks like there are more than one. Don't delete anything outside of NMM. If you no longer want a file delete it through NMM. Don't mess with the file system NMM has. It is fragile enough without going through and messing with these files. Same goes for FOMM as well as MO (if YOU don't understand what you are doing) Messing with folder and deleting things outside of a manager willl only likely cause you problems not solve your issues. 

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd share my frustrating experience here, maybe it will save someone a lot of time. I couldn't find this problem anywhere else on the web anyway.

So since a couple of months (new computer w/ windows 10) I had a major problem with NMM (latest version 0.63.x). It would install mods just fine, it would disable mods just fine, but I could not for the life of me get it to delete mods. Either it would crash directly or it would just not do the uninstall without message.

In the crash log it said always "Access to path denied". Which I was furious about because I had installed all of steam and NMM on D:\ just to avoid these issues. Nothing would help. Not killing Steam. Not running NMM as admin.

I then discovered that even I myself could not delete any files in the virtual install folder of NMM. Windows would not let me do it no matter what I tried. I was close to throwing the bloody machine out of the window.

Then I read about "Process explorer" which lets you track what processes are blocking files or folders from being deleted. And sure enough, most of the Steam and games stuff in my D:\ directory was blocked by "igfxEM.exe", which is a process of the Intel Common User Software. I killed the process and FINALLY I could delete outdated mods again.

TLDR:

If NMM crashes anytime you want to delete mods and nothing helps, check for "igfxEM.exe" and try killing this process.

• 2 weeks later...

New ssd coming up to install the games.

Can anyone tell me what better to do with NMM, can I move it or do I have to reinstall everything?

Sorry for late answer. We had some posts here about NMM and SSD. Prynio wrote a good article about it. If you have time try to find his posts here by typing "prynio" in search bar in this thread. You will see the list of all his posts here. But if you don't want to do it, here is what one NMM user said about NMM and SSD on Nexus:

I think you may have forgotten to set the Virtual install folder to the new location in NMM. Look around in settings and set "Skyrim Install folder", "Mods folder" and "Virtual Install folder" to their new settings. Also make sure you have your Virtual install folder and Skyrim in the same partition as well (unless you have the Multi-HD stuff going on, which I don't believe you do since you're having Games run on SSD).

Just to clarify this is the process I did to move my skyrim.

1. Copy Skyrim to new location in another partition.

2. Copy Virtual Install to the same partition.

3. Open NMM and go to folders settings.

4. Set Skyrim Install to new location from Step 1.

5. Set Virtual Install to the new location from Step 2.

6. Restart NMM (just to be sure).

7. Delete old Skyrim installation and Virtual install directories.

New ssd coming up to install the games.

Can anyone tell me what better to do with NMM, can I move it or do I have to reinstall everything?

Sorry for late answer. We had some posts here about NMM and SSD. Prynio wrote a good article about it. If you have time try to find his posts here by typing "prynio" in search bar in this thread. You will see the list of all his posts here. But if you don't want to do it, here is what one NMM user said about NMM and SSD on Nexus:

I think you may have forgotten to set the Virtual install folder to the new location in NMM. Look around in settings and set "Skyrim Install folder", "Mods folder" and "Virtual Install folder" to their new settings. Also make sure you have your Virtual install folder and Skyrim in the same partition as well (unless you have the Multi-HD stuff going on, which I don't believe you do since you're having Games run on SSD).

Just to clarify this is the process I did to move my skyrim.

1. Copy Skyrim to new location in another partition.

2. Copy Virtual Install to the same partition.

3. Open NMM and go to folders settings.

4. Set Skyrim Install to new location from Step 1.

5. Set Virtual Install to the new location from Step 2.

6. Restart NMM (just to be sure).

7. Delete old Skyrim installation and Virtual install directories.

Excuse me just now I see you answered me.

Thanks for the information.

Attention Fallout 4 Users:

Can you inform me of the preferred version of NMM currently to use for someone that wants to mod Fallout 4 using NMM?

A friend of mine installed FO4. He first, tired to use the 0.63.+ but wasn't satisfied and I recommended to him to use 0.61.23, the version I use.

He installed some 40+ mods and he was satisfied how the game runs. The only thing I don't know how works is starting the game via NMM. He always use SKSE icon.

Can you inform me of the preferred version of NMM currently to use for someone that wants to mod Fallout 4 using NMM?

A friend of mine installed FO4. He first, tired to use the 0.63.+ but wasn't satisfied and I recommended to him to use 0.61.23, the version I use.

He installed some 40+ mods and he was satisfied how the game runs. The only thing I don't know how works is starting the game via NMM. He always use SKSE icon.

I looked and didn't see it in the OP... is it there or where could I get a copy :)

I looked and didn't see it in the OP... is it there or where could I get a copy :)

I'm sure U uploaded that version. let me check. If not there I will uploaded it here.

OK, here it is. My apologies. You were right; it wasn't there:

Nexus Mod Manager-0.61.23.rar

Thanks Good Help and this Topic :)

I'm gradually getting tired, "Hey! some MOD MISSING!" "Hey! don't use manual mod install!" "Hey, update coming! All mod will Deactivate!" etcetc...

Still, I think NMM is useful some aspect, so I'll use this...

I think that your help and this topic are very helpful for NMM users like me.

I'm gradually getting tired, "Hey! some MOD MISSING!" "Hey! don't use manual mod install!" "Hey, update coming! All mod will Deactivate!" etcetc...

Thank you for your kind words.

What... no cool picture... :(

Loved the Witcher photos you were using .. :P

The witcher is back ;)

The witcher is back ;)

YEA!!!!

• 3 months later...

I'm sure U uploaded that version. let me check. If not there I will uploaded it here.

attachicon.gifNexus Mod Manager-0.61.23.rar

Hi ritual. I never asked you if this version of NMM helped your friend with FO4?

attachicon.gifNexus Mod Manager-0.61.23.rar

Hi ritual. I never asked you if this version of NMM helped your friend with FO4?

Don't know. We never talked about it afterwards.

• 2 months later...

We are still waiting for NMM/MO hybrid. In the meantime several updates of NMM 0.63+ came out. After trying 0,63.14 version that fucked up my Skyrim, I returned to 0.61.23 version. After a long time I decided to test few of the latest versions and still isn't satisfied as many of NMM users who requested 0.51.+ or 0.61.+ versions. So, although I do not test and support any 0.63.+ version I decided to put the latest 0.63.19 version in this thread for those who are using NMM 0.63.+ and doesn't visit github to download the latest version.

This installer is virus free, malware and spyware free for download. (Checked them with Kaspersky antivirus and professional Super AntiSpyware and Malware program)

NMM 0.63.19 is out

Release Notes and changes from 0.63.15 to 0.63.19 versions

Please be aware that these latest releases are not fully code signed as our certificate has elapsed - so you will need to accept any warnings that Windows throws at you.

Spoiler

• New features
    • No new feature.
  • Bugfixes
    • The Fallout 4 game mode will now use the latest plugin management algorithm when it can't retrieve the proper file version from the game's exe.

• New features
    • Added support for ESL plugins.
  • Bugfixes
    • Fixed SKSE64 support for Skyrim Special Edition.

• New features
    • Added new functionality on the mod's tab right-click context menu where the user can now turn off mod update checks (and automatic mod renames) for specific mods.
  • Bugfixes
    • No bug fixes.

• New features
    • Added new functionality on the mod's tab right-click context menu where the user can now turn off mod update checks (and automatic mod renames) for specific mods.
    • NMM will now try to automatically setup Fallout 4's ini for modding. (thanks to user smaitlx1 on Github)
    • Users can now disable multiple mods at once. (thanks to user Arefu on Github)
  • Bugfixes
    • Remove mod manager column size timer which sometimes results in columns being resized too narrow and not allowing user to expand them. (thanks to user smaitlx1 on Github)
    • Fixed issue where the UI could become unresponsive while parsing the mod's download date. (thanks to user Xebeth on Github)
    • Fixed incorrect trimming of UNC paths. (thanks to user Xebeth on Github)
    • Fixed an infinite loop during the startup UAC checks. (thanks to user Xebeth on Github)
    • Fixed issue causing the state of the Update Warning and Update Checks toggles to be lost or incorrectly set on newly downloaded mods.
    • Removed the codesigned uninstaller since the signature was no longer valid.

Download (click on the link):

Nexus.Mod.Manager-0.63.19.rar

Thanks Elf Prince

I've been using 63.14 for quite a while now without any problems, so I'm not sure I'll bother updating though I'll think about it. I learnt a long time ago that updating just to say "I have the  latest version" of something is usually a bad idea. I'm more than happy with changes that improve things but often nowadays that's not the case and the mod/application actually get worse than what it was.

7 minutes ago, Slorm said:

Thanks Elf Prince

I've been using 63.14 for quite a while now without any problems, so I'm not sure I'll bother updating though I'll think about it. I learned a long time ago that updating just to say "I have the  latest version" of something is usually a bad idea. I'm more than happy with changes that improve things but often nowadays that's not the case and the mod/application actually get worse than what it was.

I tried discussable 0.63.14 version few times and every time it messed up my textures and meshes. Didn't install them correctly, plus some other mods. I'm glad it works for you. :smile:

According to the fixes and updates in 0.63.19 version, I think they did a major fixes and a good job although I'm not interested in installing any 0.63+ version.

4 hours ago, Slorm said:

Thanks Elf Prince

I've been using 63.14 for quite a while now without any problems, so I'm not sure I'll bother updating though I'll think about it. I learnt a long time ago that updating just to say "I have the  latest version" of something is usually a bad idea. I'm more than happy with changes that improve things but often nowadays that's not the case and the mod/application actually get worse than what it was.

Yes, updating isn't a good thing for a mod manager like NMM. If the previous version is working well and no problems exist then there is no reason to update. At least not while you are in a active game with that manager. Only reasons I can see to update is for a fix to a problem you have, or, there is a feature that you have to have for your mods (required) or, you have finished all the quest and such for your games managed by the manager and are going to a fresh start install etc. That don't mean you won't have problems but at least these are times that you already have unsolvable problems or aren't in the middle of a game play. Then you can try a new one, fix the issues or roll back with less issues and frustrations.

9 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Yes, updating isn't a good thing for a mod manager like NMM. If the previous version is working well and no problems exist then there is no reason to update. At least not while you are in a active game with that manager. Only reasons I can see to update is for a fix to a problem you have, or, there is a feature that you have to have for your mods (required) or, you have finished all the quest and such for your games managed by the manager and are going to a fresh start install etc. That don't mean you won't have problems but at least these are times that you already have unsolvable problems or aren't in the middle of a game play. Then you can try a new one, fix the issues or roll back with less issues and frustrations.

Very well said. Thank you very much.

Short overview of testing 0.63.19 version

All right NMM folks, I broke my word that I will not install any 0.63.+ version but I did. The reason for it was my screwup of Skyrim.esm using "NPC Visual transfer tool". It's not the mod's fault, but mine. I wanted to change Ahlam's and A. Avenicci's face. I succeeded in the first case, but screwed Avenicci. The mod author warned about irrecoverable errors and glitched head textures and offered few solutions in the case the user like me do something wrong. Since none of the solutions he offered worked except probably CK fix which I don't have and don't know how to use it, I had to reinstall my Skyrim from the scratch. Anyway, it bugged me to see if the fixes listed in the latest version works so I installed fresh 0.63.19 version. I'm not talking about upgrading from 0.61.23, but the new installation and here is my impressum.

1. Installation of the latest version went without any problems. I even didn't have to set new VirtualInstall location, but I addressed NMM to existed one and it accepted all 137 mods.

2. I installed mods using "only by one" method since I like to be in the control and I know the "procedure" and order of the mods' installation. Had no problem with any mod installation and all went very fast even with the large mods (80-100 MB) and heavy scripted mods.

3. This time NMM didn't screw up my textures and meshes mods. It "learned" to install them as they should be installed.

4. Co-operation and integration of FNIS 7, Wryebash 307.1 Beta, latest LOOT 0.12.1 works spotlessly.

5. Didn't test backing up and creating new profile since it's always worked for me in previous versions and I'm not using more then one profile any more since I have no need for it.

Conclusion: I warmly recommend upgrading NMM. Better: installing fresh new NMM version, BUT, as my good friend @RitualClarity said: if everything works fine for you in present NMM version, don't do it. :smile: