NMM from 0.52.+to 0.70.+ ( important info, help, tips & tricks)

the only mod manager that i know of that will actually remove loose files and not screw the installation up later is Wrye Bash, and this has been a feature of wrye since the early days of oblivion.

Edit: this is not nmm bashing (no pun intended).

if more ppl would atleast look at wrye and attempt to use it i might be convinced to start up a page here detailing how to use it, just like elf prince did with NMM.

I would personally like to see and have support here for WB in relations to Fallout 4, Skyrim SE etc. I would even give it a try to see what I am missing. I'd like to be able to use it for Oblivion as it is the preferred manager by heavy modders for that game. 

Build it and they will come... :) Seriously at least give it a try. If you are here a couple of times a week that is all that is needed. There is a MO thread that is heavily supported and NMM thread supported by elf prince and friends (I don't know enough to do heavy support :)) so there really needs to be a discussion, support thread for Wyre Bash. Which version is needed for which game, what do you get for using or upgrading to which v ersion. Which one is a must if you want to use it for Fallout 4 etc.

AS I understand in all reality Wyre Bash is the closest thing in competition to NMM as being able to do the greatest amount of games. It can do Oblivion (Steam Version) through to Fallout 4 (perhaps even now Skyrim SE) While having many advanced tools that NMM don't. It is a useful tool for those that have a desire for those features.

So by all means create a thread if you have great experience with the manager, do like Elf Prince did for NMM or Awfullarchdemon did for MO.

Supporting virtual's idea. LL needs a good thread for WB.

NMM 0.63.12 is out

Version 0.63.12Warning: This version requires .Net Framework 4.6 (If you're not using Windows 10, you can download it HERE ) Warning: This is a community fixes release and is provided as is with no further support from the Nexus team.

Impact: Minor
Type: Community Fixes
  1. Fixed issue causing profile switching to randomly overwrite the previous profile with the one NMM was switching to. (Thanks to Freakness109 on Github)
  2. Fixed rare issue causing NMM to crash when showing extended message boxes. (Thanks to CrayonOfDoom on Github)

Download: my OP under NMM - downloads (Virus free rar installers): or you can go directly to Nexus: http://www.nexusmods...ds/modmanager/?

guys, my virtual install folder size almost 4gb, i dont know why it's so big, my actual mods are only 1.3gb, but why the virtual install folder size is so big? what if i delete it? 

DON'T!!! DO NOT DELETE VIRTUALLINSTALL FOLDER!!!!!! You will screw up your game.

No they don't take up space, the available free space on your hd doesn't decrease by twice the file size, it's just that this kind of file linking also tricks Windows properties panel into thinking they're the real deal.

If you deleted the VirtualInstall folder then the Windows file system automatically turned the hardlinked files into the real file and you completely messed up your NMM mod install.

Do not worry. NMM is not eating your HDD space. It's just an image and info about your installed mods. You are fine. :)

• 2 weeks later...

NMM 0.63.13 is out

Version 0.63.13 Warning: This version requires .Net Framework 4.6 (If you're not using Windows 10, you can download it HERE )
Warning: This is a community fixes release and is provided as is with no further support from the Nexus team.

1. Fixed an issue preventing the installation of some big mod archives. (Thanks to WolfMad on Github)
  2. Fixed links pointing to the old issue tracker on the Nexus forums, users are now properly sent to the Github issue tracker. (Thanks to Lehmax on Github)
  1. Fixed rare issue causing NMM to crash when showing extended message boxes. (Thanks to CrayonOfDoom on Github)

Download: my OP under NMM - downloads (Virus free rar installers): or you can go directly to Nexus: http://www.nexusmods...ds/modmanager/?

Important: If you want to report NMM bugs, you can't do it any more on Nexus bug report page, but here:

https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Nexus-Mod-Manager/issues

What the hell is going on with NMM? They announce it's end of line Dec 12 2016, and throughout January 2017 there's been a deluge of updates which leads me to think each update is so broken they have to keep releasing updates to fix their updates.

I now find myself having problems with NMM, a mod I removed (via NMM) and am trying to reinstall is asking to overwrite it's virual install. If I removed the mod, how can it overwrite itself, and why am I suddenly using virtual install garbage, I've tried to avoid this crap since I have zero interest in profiles. They said there'd be ways to opt out of this crap, but they seem hidden now? I'm getting FNIS errors all of a sudden too, again due to this virtual install folder.

And now this makes me think all the consistence errors I'm getting in Oldrim, they started happening around the time of the deluge of NMM updates, as is a few mods I updated recently have their MCM's showing $_wierd_string_$ stuff instead of proper localization so maybe that's caused by NMM too?

How do I get NMM back to being a simple mod manager without losing my sanity in the process?

No problem. :)

I was also personally very disappointed in 0.63.+ version. After it screwed up my Skyrim, I reverted to 0.61.23 version and I'm quite satisfied.

NMM tema lost interest in NMM as they are focused on new hybrid. All fixes so far aren't bad but I have a feeling they fixed the issues just to say "We did it" and to reduce the complains of the users.

Elf Prince, about Virtual Install, and my thinking this was optional. Am I wrong, or is there a way to not use NMM's virtual system? They promised an option to not use this. I would never voluntarily enable it, so it must be force enabled by NMM itself. I don't want it, how do I get rid of it?

Elf Prince, about Virtual Install, and my thinking this was optional. Am I wrong, or is there a way to not use NMM's virtual system? They promised an option to not use this. I would never voluntarily enable it, so it must be force enabled by NMM itself. I don't want it, how do I get rid of it?

VirtualInstall came with 0.60.+ versions. It is very important to have it. It is good. It doesn't double take your space on HDD but makes the "image" of your installed mods. Windows reports it wrongly as used space. So, if you want to avoid VirtualInstall, you can't. Not with 0.60.+ version. You have to install any 0.5.+ version. Those versions doesn't contain VI. I think you can find 0.56 version in my OP under download section. (blue letter text).

So there was yet another 0.63.x update, I installed it cos at this point what damage can it do? And the 100's of consistence errors in Oldrim are gone, and I can now use the "Fix mod ID's and check for updates" button without NMM crashing (it was 100% crash for Oldrim, 100% works fine for SE).

I had to manually delete a mod that was supposed to be uninstalled from Skyrim SE's virtual folder to get SE's consistence errors to go away.

If NMM continues to work I'll postpone rolling back. I definitely won't update it again though!

So there was yet another 0.63.x update, I installed it cos at this point what damage can it do? And the 100's of consistence errors in Oldrim are gone, and I can now use the "Fix mod ID's and check for updates" button without NMM crashing (it was 100% crash for Oldrim, 100% works fine for SE).

I had to manually delete a mod that was supposed to be uninstalled from Skyrim SE's virtual folder to get SE's consistence errors to go away.

If NMM continues to work I'll postpone rolling back. I definitely won't update it again though!

If you continue using NMM 0.63.+ versions, you can expect unexpected.. lol... I'm joking but I'm serious too. You see, 0.63.+ version supports numerous games, so as the multi support game manager, it might crash at certain points when new additions for FO4, The witcher and some other popular games comes out. So, enjoy while it works but before you upgrade your manager, always MAKE A BACK UP of your mods.

I decided to stay with 0.61.+ until new manager comes out. :)

Elf Prince, I discovered what has been happening with NMM and it's wonky behaviour. Somehow (I have no idea how) another version installed in program files last December. Every time I try to update, it updates the hidden version. The link to NMM that I use on my desktop launches the version I expect to use, and if I click the download button on Nexus without NMM already launched, it launches the hidden version.

I'll see what happens when I delete the bogey version. If it fucks my Skyrim installs, I'll delete everything NMM and use something else. Mod managers shouldn't default install to program files, this is well known, and they should fucking update properly, not install a brand new version elsewhere. WTF?

Elf Prince, I discovered what has been happening with NMM and it's wonky behaviour. Somehow (I have no idea how) another version installed in program files last December. Every time I try to update, it updates the hidden version. The link to NMM that I use on my desktop launches the version I expect to use, and if I click the download button on Nexus without NMM already launched, it launches the hidden version.

I'll see what happens when I delete the bogey version. If it fucks my Skyrim installs, I'll delete everything NMM and use something else. Mod managers shouldn't default install to program files, this is well known, and they should fucking update properly, not install a brand new version elsewhere. WTF?

If I understood correctly, you were updating NMM through the manager, right? I experienced problems few times (like many others) when doing it. So I rather download new version and ran installer.exe. It's much safer and it never freezes during the installation. It overwrites existing version and voila. :)

I assume that your link has some weird program in back up that starts unusual behaving. I always go the the Nexus and download the latest version. Then I check it with my Kaspersky antivirus and anti malware and anti spyware programs. When they confirm that the file is safe to install, I run th installer.

Before you delete your "bad version", copy your mod folder somewhere else because you don't want to lose them. it happened to me once or twice when I forgot to do it.

I have been very complacent :)

Appreciate your patience and advice, Elf Prince. Thanks muchly!

You're welcome. Don't worry about asking questions. Feel free to ask whenever you want to. If I might help I will be happy. :)

• 2 months later...

Is there anything to just migrate from NMM virual nonsense to a normal install or just remove nmm without hosing what's installed? I'm tired of seeing it readd esps I removed and similar stuff. I need to be able to keep up with which file is from which addon, which is overwritten by what and such and it's too much to dig through the archives looking for one specific brazier in whiterun, when NMM can't/won't provide path information and such.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything to just migrate from NMM virual nonsense to a normal install or just remove nmm without hosing what's installed? I'm tired of seeing it readd esps I removed and similar stuff. I need to be able to keep up with which file is from which addon, which is overwritten by what and such and it's too much to dig through the archives looking for one specific brazier in whiterun, when NMM can't/won't provide path information and such.

I apologize for the late answer. Unfortunately, I don't understand your question (it's probably my poor English). Would you be kind to rephrase it if it not too late.

If I understand you correctly... you might want to look into MO for Skyrim and your issues. You can access the files directly in the mod manager. (Skyrim original though) instead of digging through the archives. the files are added at run time (when game starts) so there wouldn't be any other mods that you removed. (Possible NMM hickup?) Mo uses virtual system but different. It isn't using a virtual drive, no need to migrate from it. You remove the mod (MO) you remove the files) You move the MO folder.. you can successfully without "hosing" what is installed. You will have to redirect the mod manager to the correct folders again. That info can be found on the web or the Mo support thread might be able to guide you on that. (Disclaimer; not sure if you can move NMM folder ... virtual folder and such safely or the steps )

In any case, if I understand your issue, unfortunately, you can't really migrate well from any mod manager to another without much work and headache. The best process is to make sure you have yoru backups and then restart with the new manager of choice.

I believe another option is WyreBash.

NMM 0.63.14 is out

Version 0.63.14 Warning: This version requires .Net Framework 4.6 (If you're not using Windows 10, you can download it HERE )
Warning: This is a community fixes release and is provided as is with no further support from the Nexus team.

1. Users will now be able to add multiple files at once when clicking on the "Add mod from file" button. (Thanks to Arefu on Github)
  2. The "Purge Files" prompt will now better explain what the manager is going to purge.

Since I'm not supporting 0.63.+ versions you can download it directly from Nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/?