NMM from 0.52.+to 0.70.+ ( important info, help, tips & tricks)

V0.63.9

Fallout 4

Issue:

Strange, nonbreaking issue. I was updating some mods I think I might want to use when I ever get back to playing that game. Well checked the author and went to download another (Expired was the author) since he is working on F4SE I thought I use his better generators. I wasn't sure if I had it but if I did it would give me a prompt and I would just say no to it. Well the issue is it didn't. It just downloaded it and silently added it. 

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Well one would guess I went back in time as I installed it in October but downloaded it in December :P Don't think it hurts anything. I'd guess it is just like if you installed over the mod. However... with complex installs this can be troublesome if one don't realize it happened as it might possibly overwrite some other mods you installed (mess up the install order) and as  a result some textures/meshes might be the winner that you didn't want to win and then have to go back through and reinstall the mods that should be installed after a base mods. Example a body mod then you want a body texture. If you reinstall that body again without realizing it... then it would replace the body texture you installed later by overwriting it. No prompts no changes. This mod should have given all sort of flags since I had files in the game already. However didn't give a single one. 

AI red on Nexus about lot of people having a problems with latest NMM when it comes to FO 4. 0.63.+ version(s) are very fucked up. I also realized that 0.62.+ is much better for FO 4 users.

Thanks for the report ritual. :)

V0.63.9

Fallout 4

Issue:

Strange, nonbreaking issue. I was updating some mods I think I might want to use when I ever get back to playing that game. Well checked the author and went to download another (Expired was the author) since he is working on F4SE I thought I use his better generators. I wasn't sure if I had it but if I did it would give me a prompt and I would just say no to it. Well the issue is it didn't. It just downloaded it and silently added it. 

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Well one would guess I went back in time as I installed it in October but downloaded it in December :P Don't think it hurts anything. I'd guess it is just like if you installed over the mod. However... with complex installs this can be troublesome if one don't realize it happened as it might possibly overwrite some other mods you installed (mess up the install order) and as  a result some textures/meshes might be the winner that you didn't want to win and then have to go back through and reinstall the mods that should be installed after a base mods. Example a body mod then you want a body texture. If you reinstall that body again without realizing it... then it would replace the body texture you installed later by overwriting it. No prompts no changes. This mod should have given all sort of flags since I had files in the game already. However didn't give a single one. 

AI red on Nexus about lot of people having a problems with latest NMM when it comes to FO 4. 0.63.+ version(s) are very fucked up. I also realized that 0.62.+ is much better for FO 4 users.

Thanks for the report ritual. :)

So far it seems to work. However I haven't really done any major changes or updates. It is really ashamed that we are having problems with Fallout 4 considering there is no other choices for that except to go manual. (not sure about Wyre Bash. Might need to check into that) I really hope they fix this very quickly. It can potentially cause someone newer to have some serious issues, as well as experienced people to have to stop and rework their mods again to get the right assets where they want them. 

The job of a manager is to manage the mods. That is the main job. Disappointing that this isn't the case with this version. :(

So far it seems to work. However I haven't really done any major changes or updates. It is really ashamed that we are having problems with Fallout 4 considering there is no other choices for that except to go manual. (not sure about Wyre Bash. Might need to check into that) I really hope they fix this very quickly. It can potentially cause someone newer to have some serious issues, as well as experienced people to have to stop and rework their mods again to get the right assets where they want them. 

The job of a manager is to manage the mods. That is the main job. Disappointing that this isn't the case with this version. :(

I inquired about a working version of Wrye Bash for Fallout 4 and got linked to here. The post your looking for is post number 2, it contains all the work that's going into 307 and all the work that's already been put into it as well as containing a download link to a version of 307 (it's a test version, here is the direct download link as well just in case)

I inquired about a working version of Wrye Bash for Fallout 4 and got linked to here. The post your looking for is post number 2, it contains all the work that's going into 307 and all the work that's already been put into it as well as containing a download link to a version of 307 (it's a test version, here is the direct download link as well just in case)

Thanks. I want to avoid that manager and prefer to use NMM for Fallout 4 provided it continues to work. WyreBash is much more complex than NMM and on par with MO. I'd need to learn to think differently for just one game :( Useful if I went to "Oblivion" :P though.

Thanks. I want to avoid that manager and prefer to use NMM for Fallout 4 provided it continues to work. WyreBash is much more complex than NMM and on par with MO. I'd need to learn to think differently for just one game :( Useful if I went to "Oblivion" :P though.

I don't like using WyreBash for regular modding, it's more of a degree level manager if you ask me, I mainly use it for Bash patches which is what that version is able to do somewhat reliably in Fallout 4 ( I won't say it's 100% reliable yet but when it's officially 3.0.7 it'll be fine)

Is there any known issue with NMM and LOOT for Skyrim SE? When I use LOOT to sort my load order from NMM, the updated load order doesn't show up in NMM.

With the old version of Skyrim when you ran LOOT it would auto sort your plugins without the need to restart NMM, but I know for Fallout 4, and now possibly by proxy Skyrim SE don't have that feature so if your not seeing the updated list then you may just need to restart your manager to force refresh the list

NMM is currently end-of-line

NMM IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED!!!

We announced in our site news back in October 2016 that we are making big changes to the Nexus Mod Manager. You can read the full news article that explains things in good detail, but the TL;DR is as follows:

• A history of development for NMM, which explains it's old and based on even older coding
  • We've hired Tannin, the author of Skyrim Mod Organizer
  • We're working on a new mod manager
  • There's no release date for this new version yet
  • The current version(s) of the Nexus Mod Manager are now end-of-line (EOL)

What does "end-of-line" mean?

End-of-line means we will no longer be working on updates or support for the current and older versions of NMM, including legacy. This includes answering support ticket questions and bug reports submitted to our bug reporting system. Essentially, you're now "on your own" when it comes to using, and fixing, issues related to the current version of NMM.

We will, on very rare occasions, release updates to the EOL version of NMM as and when necessary (Skyrim SE support is a good example) until the new version of NMM comes out to replace the EOL version.

This seems a bit rude. Why are you no longer supporting NMM?

We only have a very small staff here at Nexus Mods and we cannot afford to keep supporting the EOL version of the software while working on a completely new piece of software to replace it. Something has to give in that regard. We'd rather focus all our energy on getting a great piece of software out there to replace NMM, than have to continually go back to the EOL version to fix bugs on a piece of software we're actively working on replacing anyway.

A short term pain for a long term gain, if you will.

Where can I go to get support now?

You can still ask for help from fellow NMM users here on our forums. Similarly, NMM is, and always has been, open source software you can patch and edit to your heart's content. You can grab the source code for NMM from our GitHub page.

When is the new NMM going to be released?

There is no set release date. But 2017 is a safe bet.

NMM users who doesn't use SSE:

If you have problems with NMM 0.62.+ and above versions, my personal recommendation is to use 0.61.23 version here (virus free and malware free Rar):

Nexus Mod Manager-0.61.23.rar

It is the best and most stable version for FO4 and Skyrim. It also works good with multi profiles.

Well, looking forward to see new NMM in 2017.

NMM users who doesn't use SSE:

If you have problems with NMM 0.62.+ and above versions, my personal recommendation is to use 0.61.23 version here (virus free and malware free Rar):

attachicon.gifNexus Mod Manager-0.61.23.rar

It is the best and most stable version for FO4 and Skyrim. It also works good with multi profiles.

Well, looking forward to see new NMM in 2017.

What would be the best way to revert to the older version if you have versions beyond this one.?  Preferably to keep everything intact.

Ritual -

You can restore your mods in the previous NMM by doing the following:

• Uninstall currently installed NMM, remove all config files when asked
  • Install a pre-0.60.x build (in my case 0.56.1)
  • Launch 0.61.+1 and go through all the setup
  • With NMM loaded to the mod list screen, click on Tools (wrench and screwdriver icon) and select Restore Backup
  • Find the file Backup_DONOTDELETE.zip located in the VirtualInstall folder and open it
  • Restoration of all your mods should commence

Minor update, only of interest if you want to mod No Man's Sky

Version 0.63.10

Impact: Minor
Type: New game support
  1. Added new No Man's Sky patch support (the program will now only work with the current patch).
  2. Added Breaking Wheel support.
  3. Users will now be able to select the new fileservers in the download settings.

• 2 weeks later...

To all NMM 0.63.+ users:

I don't want to offend anybody's feeling if being thrilled with NMM 0.63.+ but as more as I use it I found it more shitty and buggy for Skyrim mods when it comes to meshes and textures. Sooooo, being frustrated with the way how this version(s) dealing with named mods, I decided to return to 0.61.+ version until new hybrid comes out.

No offense taken here, I too have noticed it's becoming less stable as it progresses onwards, I would switch back to the version with working profiles but I'm afraid that I will lose my perfectly crafted load order and mods.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new hybrid but they seem to be spending so much time fixing the old manager which to me seems like a lot of time wasted.

No offense taken here, I too have noticed it's becoming less stable as it progresses onwards, I would switch back to the version with working profiles but I'm afraid that I will lose my perfectly crafted load order and mods.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new hybrid but they seem to be spending so much time fixing the old manager which to me seems like a lot of time wasted.

You can save your load order and when you retrieve to the older NMM version you just restore it. It should work although I had "error" reports sometimes when restoring the load order. When that happened, I had my load order exported to a text file and I manually moved up or down mods. Only few mods were in the "wrong" place :)

Hey guys not sure if this has come up yet but I'm having an odd issue. 

When I install mods via NMM it, for the most part, tells me it has installed the mods but then proceeds to not actually install any real files. So once install apachii hair for example i go into the data file and then to textures etc until I find apachii hair,  In the manual install file lots of actual meshes and textures exist however in my data after install non are there. I move them manually from here to make up for it...

This still happens after updates.

It seems likley that this is a NMM issue as my Fallout 4 does the exact same thing... does anyone have any idea why this happens???

New tip: Reverting NMM from 0.62/0.63. to O.61.+

Reverting NMM to older version was flawless. NMM uninstalled and installed all my mods after finishing the process. Before you start to revert to 0.61.+ you will be asked to allow NMM to do it. Confirm and enjoy until the process ends. Just make sure you set Vitualinstall in the same location as it was placed before. Your load order will be same as before, so have no worries. :)

The only "side effect" of this process is having *grayed plugins or grayed mods in the mod categories. (* Grayed mods or plugins usually means that they aren't installed or/and active). But don not worry, although being grayed, your mods and plugins are installed and active (at least it was in my case after two tries).

For NMM 0.63.+ users

I highly recommend to not to use "Purge Loose Files" from the Tools menu. You WILL screw up some mods that won't work even after reinstalling the mods or reinstalling the manager. Please, DON'T use it. You have been warned. That's what NMM team also said.

For NMM 0.63.+ users

I highly recommend to not to use "Purge Loose Files" from the Tools menu. You WILL screw up some mods that won't work even after reinstalling the mods or reinstalling the manager. Please, DON'T use it. You have been warned. That's what NMM team also said.

:(

For NMM 0.63.+ users

:(  - Exactly.

I used "Purge Loose Files" command and NMM reported the job done. But, fuck!!!! After that SLAL Animation loader, SKYUI, and all SLAL animations stopped working, plus few other mods. NMM showed them as active and installed but the list of SLAL animations was empty (I had 6 of them) and whatever I tried (reinstalling the mods, starting new game, reverting to older NMM version, installing latest NMM and so and and so on) didn't help.

I FUCKING HAD TO REINSTALL SKYRIM!!! :angry::@

"Purge Loose files" is DISASTER!!!

For NMM 0.63.+ users

:(  - Exactly.

I used "Purge Loose Files" command and NMM reported the job done. But, fuck!!!! After that SLAL Animation loader, SKYUI, and all SLAL animations stopped working, plus few other mods. NMM showed them as active and installed but the list of SLAL animations was empty (I had 6 of them) and whatever I tried (reinstalling the mods, starting new game, reverting to older NMM version, installing latest NMM and so and and so on) didn't help.

I FUCKING HAD TO REINSTALL SKYRIM!!! :angry::@

"Purge Loose files" is DISASTER!!!

That was a terrible feature and idea that the NMM team had. I doubt they had it fully implemented and it was added on an aging and soon to be replaced mod manager. 

It will take quite a deal of time and proof before I would use any feature of any mod manager that promised that it would "purge loose" files.

Anyone that wants to "purge loose files" do it the old fashion way.

• Uninstall all mods through your manager
  • open the data directory
  • delete all mods and loose files if any are left (shouldn't be a damn thing since the manager is suppose to prevent this unless you manually installed a mod. Which in this case why use a manager in the first place. That really mess thing up in a mod manager. They are designed to work with the native game files being there unmanaged not random files you decided to place in the manager. 
  • If in question delete it. Seriously not an issue with the following step
  • Verify cache, wait
  • Now a nice clean Data folder. 
  • Open your manager and activate the proper mods in proper order. (notes will help in this case in the future if you keep them)
  • test your game make sure the mods have been properly installed in the correct order. if not
  • close game and reorder the needed mods. (deactivate them then activate them in a different order)

It is a bit of work to do but can be done quite well and with a bit of time. You can take short cuts and get rid of files and such without completing all the steps above but you might corrupt your mod manager more than it was before. Might corrupt the game or mess up your play. If you have to do maintenance then do it right. I do the above in between major new characters before they are played in any serious way. (Campaign)

You shouldn't have to purge loose files if using a proper manager. Unless it glitches or fails. Crashes etc. Then perhaps loose files might get to your data folder. Then the above cleaning is needed to be done.

I had to do this twice with NMM and once with MO a long time ago in one of the early releases. Any other time I have done this there weren't any loose files. I only had to do this with FOMM once and that was a BETA that was being tested (for those that play Fallout 3 or NV)  As you can see for the most part you don't need to "clean up" very much. 

Disclaimer: I don't use BS or other more complex setups. Your results may vary. If so you might have more times that you need to clean up your folder and purge loose files. Perhaps do as I do as a precaution and do this between any major campaign play.  Do this when you go through and update your mods is another great time to consider this if you feel the need or have unexplained glitches. 

. When this feature came out I was done with a play through of Fallout 4. I tried it and nothing was messed up. However Fallout 4 isn't as mature of a modded environment as Skyrim is. Much more is going on with Skyrim even wth basic mods setups.  Couldn't test that.for you guys as I use MO for Skyrim and I go un-modded when I entered Skyrim SE.

Here is to hoping that the new NMM is simple, complete and don't have glitches like the above. All its features work as advertised and is released really soon. These NMM issues are getting on my nerves and I only use it for Fallout 4 !!! I can only imagine the issues and fear that might be experienced with those that use if for most if not all their modding needs.

Sorry for the wall of text

the only mod manager that i know of that will actually remove loose files and not screw the installation up later is Wrye Bash, and this has been a feature of wrye since the early days of oblivion.

Edit: this is not nmm bashing (no pun intended).

if more ppl would atleast look at wrye and attempt to use it i might be convinced to start up a page here detailing how to use it, just like elf prince did with NMM.

the only mod manager that i know of that will actually remove loose files and not screw the installation up later is Wrye Bash, and this has been a feature of wrye since the early days of oblivion.

if more ppl would atleast look at wrye and attempt to use it i might be convinced to start up a page here detailing how to use it, just like elf prince did with NMM.

I agree with you that WB is excellent mod manager. I'm using it in combination with NMM. Too bad that WB doesn't have MO's and NMM's popularity. So far, all that I learned (it's not much) about WB that it works very good and it does it's job very good and personally, is less complicated for use than MO.

I use WB only to make Bashed patches, and to check and conform my load order exactly how my save dictates so that nothing goes wrong, i don't use MO because I have heard so many "horror stories" of people jumping through hoops to get done what they need, and I don't trust NMM any more than I trust a feral beast to not bite and kill me :D But I know that if I want something removing from my load order or my mod installation directory I do it manually even though I use a manager for my mods, since I can only realistically trust myself to not make mistakes.

I would personally like to see and have support here for WB in relations to Fallout 4, Skyrim SE etc. I would even give it a try to see what I am missing. I'd like to be able to use it for Oblivion as it is the preferred manager by heavy modders for that game. 

Build it and they will come... :) Seriously at least give it a try. If you are here a couple of times a week that is all that is needed. There is a MO thread that is heavily supported and NMM thread supported by elf prince and friends (I don't know enough to do heavy support :)) so there really needs to be a discussion, support thread for Wyre Bash. Which version is needed for which game, what do you get for using or upgrading to which v ersion. Which one is a must if you want to use it for Fallout 4 etc.

AS I understand in all reality Wyre Bash is the closest thing in competition to NMM as being able to do the greatest amount of games. It can do Oblivion (Steam Version) through to Fallout 4 (perhaps even now Skyrim SE) While having many advanced tools that NMM don't. It is a useful tool for those that have a desire for those features.

So by all means create a thread if you have great experience with the manager, do like Elf Prince did for NMM or Awfullarchdemon did for MO.