Skyrim computer rigs (heavy modding)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yxHpdC

This is the PC I plant to get once I save the cash. I've been using the same gaming laptop for 5 years and now its starting to show its age. Its funny because I am not really looking forward to any upcoming games at all in the past couple years. I am buying this rig so I can dramatically enhance the graphics and gameplay of older game I already own like Skyrim, ARK, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Starcraft 2, and a couple others. 

Getting a little off-topic here, but does upgrading your CPU have as much an impact on performance with regards to Skyrim as opposed to upgrading a GPU? 

I have a 980ti, and the next on my list would be my CPU or buy some more ram but far as I know those upgrades would only bring marginal increases in performance for modded Skyrim. 

Nope. No difference, skyrim (especially with an ENB) runs heavily off the GPU.

saving for a 1070 huh? what's your current card?

Getting a little off-topic here, but does upgrading your CPU have as much an impact on performance with regards to Skyrim as opposed to upgrading a GPU? 

I have a 980ti, and the next on my list would be my CPU or buy some more ram but far as I know those upgrades would only bring marginal increases in performance for modded Skyrim. 

Nope. No difference, skyrim (especially with an ENB) runs heavily off the GPU.

saving for a 1070 huh? what's your current card?

GTX 970

Hey Antrox I'm curious , why would you suggest a Skylake platform over an X99 2011-v3 platform

Skylake is routinely faster and more energy efficient, and frankly much cooler. Also with the amount of cores most of the X99 (Haswell-E) platform has is strictly unique to things other then gaming. The fact that most games today don't use anymore then 4 cores, it would be a complete waste to get a 6-core and have at most; 2 being used per a game....

Hey Antrox I'm curious , why would you suggest a Skylake platform over an X99 2011-v3 platform

Skylake is routinely faster and more energy efficient, and frankly much cooler. Also with the amount of cores most of the X99 (Haswell-E) platform has is strictly unique to things other then gaming. The fact that most games today don't use anymore then 4 cores, it would be a complete waste to get a 6-core and have at most; 2 being used per a game....

I own a skylake system. built it my self , and I'm just backing Antrox up......its faster than the X99 platform I built for a friend.

OK given both of your responses, i have a few more questions, of the systems between the both of you and with the knowledge of DX12 on the horizon which is said to include cross platform CPU utilization to include more then 4 cores or 8x threads found in hyper threading applications based around the new gaming platforms due to be released in the few coming months , of the both of you who does SLI or Crossfire applications, I ask this because I am prepping to build my next Cross platform gaming rig , I am leaning towards X99 over the Skylake simply because of its lack of running my soon to be New 1080 Ti's when they are released in SLI and i want to be able to run both at full 16x which currently you cannot have on the Skylake platform because it halves the X16 on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th PCIE lane to 8x, furthermore with Skylake your limited to 20 PCIE lanes where as the X99 provides a full 40

some of the new games out there will run on dual cores ,  that is true however there are plenty of new games that are requiring for minimum specs to have atleast a Quad core system, such as Deus Ex: Mankind Divided base requirements is an i5 2500k or at minimum for AMD with an FX8350 which we all know is an 8 core cpu, other items i would be including into my build is Ray-tracing and CNC mill wrights both of which for final rendering will require a significant amount of Memory and CPU bandwidth that i just cannot find a suitable Skylake  processor or motherboard to handle my needs, you see im not interested in being green power or worried about how cool my system runs on stock cooling, i have a dual Peltier based water loop system i have designed to use dual heat exchangers, not radiators those are located outside of the loop and cool the transference liquid think of my system as having dual water loops with a centralized water loop that acts as a liquid based radiator instead of a Rad that is common to today's markets, in effect it is Freon based and cools the 2 other loops by removing the heat passed through the dual exchangers cross links, doing it this way prevents the needs of worrying about the cpu, motherboard or other sensitive equipment from the dangers of the pipes sweating as its all handled outside of the pc

So given that brief example do you still think Running SLI and or Crossfire is still more feasible on the Skylake over that of X99 platforms, to add to this my base dual monitor is

Dual Samsung 60" monitors @ 60hz 3840x2160

6gb 6144mb Dedicated system Memory

my intentions with my 128GB's of Ram as of now before i upgrade is i roughly utilize about 100gb's of that in rendering my work and game on my second monitor while the first is otherwise occupied with rendering tasks

I own a skylake system. built it my self , and I'm just backing Antrox up......its faster than the X99 platform I built for a friend.

OK given both of your responses, i have a few more questions, of the systems between the both of you and with the knowledge of DX12 on the horizon which is said to include cross platform CPU utilization to include more then 4 cores or 8x threads found in hyper threading applications based around the new gaming platforms due to be released in the few coming months , of the both of you who does SLI or Crossfire applications, I ask this because I am prepping to build my next Cross platform gaming rig , I am leaning towards X99 over the Skylake simply because of its lack of running my soon to be New 1080 Ti's when they are released in SLI and i want to be able to run both at full 16x which currently you cannot have on the Skylake platform because it halves the X16 on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th PCIE lane to 8x, furthermore with Skylake your limited to 20 PCIE lanes where as the X99 provides a full 40

some of the new games out there will run on dual cores ,  that is true however there are plenty of new games that are requiring for minimum specs to have atleast a Quad core system, such as Deus Ex: Mankind Divided base requirements is an i5 2500k or at minimum for AMD with an FX8350 which we all know is an 8 core cpu, other items i would be including into my build is Ray-tracing and CNC mill wrights both of which for final rendering will require a significant amount of Memory and CPU bandwidth that i just cannot find a suitable Skylake  processor or motherboard to handle my needs, you see im not interested in being green power or worried about how cool my system runs on stock cooling, i have a dual Peltier based water loop system i have designed to use dual heat exchangers, not radiators those are located outside of the loop and cool the transference liquid think of my system as having dual water loops with a centralized water loop that acts as a liquid based radiator instead of a Rad that is common to today's markets, in effect it is Freon based and cools the 2 other loops by removing the heat passed through the dual exchangers cross links, doing it this way prevents the needs of worrying about the cpu, motherboard or other sensitive equipment from the dangers of the pipes sweating as its all handled outside of the pc

So given that brief example do you still think Running SLI and or Crossfire is still more feasible on the Skylake over that of X99 platforms, to add to this my base dual monitor is

Dual Samsung 60" monitors @ 60hz 3840x2160

6gb 6144mb Dedicated system Memory

my intentions with my 128GB's of Ram as of now before i upgrade is i roughly utilize about 100gb's of that in rendering my work and game on my second monitor while the first is otherwise occupied with rendering tasks

Wouldn't it make more sense to just build 2 pcs instead of working 1 to the bone?

working one to the bone, please explain? if you think compiling CNC data and ray trace rendering and playing a game is considered working it to the bone, you should really invest some time with a pc, pretty much any pc can do that now a days, the difference here is i am building a pc that I can use for my games and my work, this pc will be required to perform its job and is no different from any of the other equipment in my shop, for example my Sun 1120 Exhaust analyzer and emissions testing rig, was purchased for 25K in 84 and its still going strong today, and is an original socket 486i with 2mb of ram and a 50mb big foot hard drive and i realize this is probably more then likely a different language to you but my point is if you build with quality you usually wind up with a long term pc,

but i will say one thing its surprising the cost of equipment by today's standards as opposed to what it was back in 1984, i would say 99% of today's Power supply units being green is nice i suppose, but they are made cheaply considering my 150watt psu from sun micros weighs in at almost 22 lbs by itself as opposed to what you can purchase nowadays's which seems to be and feel like junk, just MO, its like comparing a car of the 50's to today's cars is all

Archived