Skyrim computer rigs (heavy modding)

Right because the #1 thing we need is 24GB of VRAM :D

Soon we're able to run this game  http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri?gameName=battlefield-65-million-bc&itemId=12063&p=r

Lol you think SLI would combine VRAM XD Oh boy, its one of those people I'm arguing with... 

For future references, check the link?

SiGe4Aq.jpg

but...but...its battlefield 65 million b.c...

it runs..on...on....1TB of RAM....

Because fuck logic, just like buying SLI Titans for Gaming. boom.

The most important question you must answer is, are you just looking for PC that will run the latest games (assuming they are well optimized) or are you looking for bragging rights?

Point being that no matter how much money and YouTube build guides you throw at it, if you don't take care of it or mess with things you don't understand, BIO's for example, your system will run like shit. but on the other hand if you do take good care of it, you can put together a relatively cheap systems that will not only run all the latest well but also last for years.

I have a very strong suspicion that there is a lot of people who just buys what ever part have the biggest number at the end or sounds the coolest, but have end up with systems that can barely out-perform or even keep with an older well optimized one, for any number of reasons whether its wrongful config/install of hardware or a registry that might as well be renamed Dante's inferno. And on that note if you are willing you buy some used parts you can save a boat load of money, even on "new" parts that the former mentioned people replace for no other reason than something new has come out.       

This!

Do people take up your advice(bragging rights, no clue)no(wel most don't, see: brag-clue :P

Your reply can save many alot of money if there smart about it :)

The most important question you must answer is, are you just looking for PC that will run the latest games (assuming they are well optimized) or are you looking for bragging rights?

Point being that no matter how much money and YouTube build guides you throw at it, if you don't take care of it or mess with things you don't understand, BIO's for example, your system will run like shit. but on the other hand if you do take good care of it, you can put together a relatively cheap systems that will not only run all the latest well but also last for years.

I have a very strong suspicion that there is a lot of people who just buys what ever part have the biggest number at the end or sounds the coolest, but have end up with systems that can barely out-perform or even keep with an older well optimized one, for any number of reasons whether its wrongful config/install of hardware or a registry that might as well be renamed Dante's inferno. And on that note if you are willing you buy some used parts you can save a boat load of money, even on "new" parts that the former mentioned people replace for no other reason than something new has come out.       

This!

Do people take up your advice(bragging rights, no clue)no(wel most don't, see: brag-clue :P

I don't think either of you get the point...

This!

Care to elaborate on that? or are you just pulling a: I don't understand or agree with what you said, so you are dumb card? 

This!

Care to elaborate on that? or are you just pulling a: I don't understand or agree with what you said, so you are dumb card?
I would but I don't have enough crayons nor motivation to do so because it was already explained. Also you assume bullshit, which makes you look dumb... Good job being hypocritical.

This!

I would but I don't have enough crayons nor motivation to do so because it was already explained. Also you assume bullshit, which makes you look dumb... Good job be hypocritical.

I didn't wanna assume anything hence my question, "care to elaborate on that?"  i asked that because the vagueness of your reply hinted to me to believe that you where simply yelling WRONG! for the point of it, hence my second question, again question not accusation (effectively giving you the benefit of the doubt) if you took that as an an insult then okay i'm sorry.

Ignoring the irony of your added statement, i would still like to know what point my post/advise violated, resulting in this little adventure of ours.    

This!

I would but I don't have enough crayons nor motivation to do so because it was already explained. Also you assume bullshit, which makes you look dumb... Good job be hypocritical.

I didn't wanna assume anything hence my question, "care to elaborate on that?"  i asked that because the vagueness of your reply hinted to me to believe that you where simply yelling WRONG! for the point of it, hence my second question, again question not accusation (effectively giving you the benefit of the doubt) if you took that as an an insult then okay i'm sorry.

Ignoring the irony of your added statement, i would still like to know what point my post/advise violated, resulting in this little adventure of ours.    

pwdA52q.jpg

Yup, im done. Goodbye. I don't have the time to argue with someone who doesn't even read previous post to understand what shit they're typing. The funny thing is you act smart but type like a retard...

nBbra4A.gif

As for the OP. I believe we answered your question pretty well. Its just up to you choose whats best tbh. I would start researching that way you will understand more, and it will be easier for you.

Good Luck :)

Well this site is was nice two years ago but if i see how it's going down wrong way like some who call others childish names and no matter what thiking they know it all(which he don't) it's realy sad how spme person can make a visit to forum and aweful one and make you sad.

Some have no clue at all about PCs thats obvious but become rude and calling names is just plain stupid and very childish.

LL is not what it use to be only because of some nasty and negative persons :(

My blocklist grows ever bigger kind of sad  have to do this :(

No need for over priced titan x the 980 ti will also do the job just fine.

Also go for Fractal design case not HAF X.http://www.fractal-design.com/

Or if you want a cool card under full load 50+ celsius and silient go  AMD Fury X HBM 1  if you can get one ;)

Wrong.

Flat Ass Wrong.

Skyrim @ true 4K rez with 8K textures x 4 + parallax will go over 6 gigs. This is not an opinion, it's a fact.

I should know because that's what I'm running and if you have over 5 ugrids you will routinely hit over 6 gigs around Solitude and Whiterun, much less anything from DragonBorn.

The HAFX airflow potential is almost double fractal's output and both flagship cards from either manufacturer will routinely hit 70 degrees with an unmodded bios when being pegged by Skyrim or any other game that utilizes full memory bandwidth (GTA, Killing Floor 2, Dragon Age: I, Total War Atilla, Crysis 3) so unless you want your motherboard's northbridge prematurely aged, you'll utilize enough cooling to keep the card at 50 or lower.

Two titans is 12 gigs until such time as DX12 drivers reach full maturity for asynchronous storage , by which time both AMD and nVidia will have new flagships.

Fury X or  even 2952x won't hit 70 celsius.

About HAF X and fractal you also wrong.

So wrong in so many ways it's even funny but i'll let you you don't even understand why i said it thats the sad part :(

But im done here have fun with topic.

Or if you want a cool card under full load 50+ celsius and silient go  AMD Fury X HBM 1  if you can get one ;)

Wrong.

Flat Ass Wrong.

Skyrim @ true 4K rez with 8K textures x 4 + parallax will go over 6 gigs. This is not an opinion, it's a fact.

I should know because that's what I'm running and if you have over 5 ugrids you will routinely hit over 6 gigs around Solitude and Whiterun, much less anything from DragonBorn.

The HAFX airflow potential is almost double fractal's output and both flagship cards from either manufacturer will routinely hit 70 degrees with an unmodded bios when being pegged by Skyrim or any other game that utilizes full memory bandwidth (GTA, Killing Floor 2, Dragon Age: I, Total War Atilla, Crysis 3) so unless you want your motherboard's northbridge prematurely aged, you'll utilize enough cooling to keep the card at 50 or lower.

Two titans is 12 gigs until such time as DX12 drivers reach full maturity for asynchronous storage , by which time both AMD and nVidia will have new flagships.

So wrong in so many ways it's even funny but i'll let you you don't even understand why i said it thats the sad part :(

Lol

Wrong.

Flat Ass Wrong.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x,4196-8.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9390/the-amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-review/25

the 295 hits even higher when fully pegged, which provided list of said games will do, also said charts were conducted with 3K and 2K screenspaces respectively and most certainly without 8K/4K in a 4K screenspace textures hogging the ram, which Skyrim can certainly accomodate.

I've owned both the fractal and the Haf X, the Haf X has literally double the airflow capacity by means of using the recommended size and spin rate of fans.

There is certainly someone who doesn't know what they're talking about and has been routinely criticized for such, and it isn't me.

As an aside it's pretty interesting that you consider yourself versed in non-downsampled 8K/4K gaming without having ever actually done it.

There is much heavy debate on this thread, but the following is my setup (after a recent upgrade) and it runs Skyrim with on Ultra with the 4K Texture Packs + ENB... I have about 125 mods atm and experience no lag, although I'm uninstalling a bunch of adult mods right now due to instability and crashing unrelated to system load. Generally I run two monitors with Twitch.tv on the other monitor and even with Skyrim running the way it runs, I have no issues. 

I prefer AMD+ATI because it's honestly cheaper and I have NEVER had a performance issue with my processors or graphics cards. The price difference is so noticeable that I don't consider Intel worth it in the least. 

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz
RAM: 8.00GB DDR3 (Can't remember the brand off the top of my head)
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5
Graphics: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390X
HDD: 1TB Seagate (non-SSD)*
Audio: On-board

* This was literally the cheapest hard drive I could buy when I got it... I couldn't tell you the model number, I bought it for $25 at a PC store as a "bare" drive with no packaging. It's been stellar after 5+ years!

There is much heavy debate on this thread, but the following is my setup (after a recent upgrade) and it runs Skyrim with on Ultra with the 4K Texture Packs + ENB... I have about 125 mods atm and experience no lag, although I'm uninstalling a bunch of adult mods right now due to instability and crashing unrelated to system load. Generally I run two monitors with Twitch.tv on the other monitor and even with Skyrim running the way it runs, I have no issues. 

I prefer AMD+ATI because it's honestly cheaper and I have NEVER had a performance issue with my processors or graphics cards. The price difference is so noticeable that I don't consider Intel worth it in the least. 

* This was literally the cheapest hard drive I could buy when I got it... I couldn't tell you the model number, I bought it for $25 at a PC store as a "bare" drive with no packaging. It's been stellar after 5+ years!

You're probably right on Intel - the only real reason to go with them right now is the current high-end AMD offering tries to get away with WAY too few FPUs to support next-gen games - that is potentially an issue when ports of games that were never considered for X360/PS3 support start coming down the pipe in a year or so, but there's no way to really know if the problems are going to be bad until they start coming out and just run terribly.  I'd call odds on that, maybe, 30% of it affecting any titles at all, and even then it's likely to just be bad ports that still have issues on Intel processors too (just not AS many.)

On the other hand, there are significant differences in between ATI and Nvidia. And no, you're NOT required to use ATI with AMD, and there's not even a significant benefit to doing so unless you're on the bleeding edge.  Motherboard manufacturers are pretty good about getting cross-compatibility features going within months of reference boards being released.

The thing is, those differences aren't really in performance.  Sure, there usually ARE differences, but they're within a few percentage points - it's been awhile since the last significant gap in performance between the same-generation boards, for all that us geeks like to debate.

Where ATI has generally had the advantage lately is in GPU-compute - using the video card for things other than actually displaying.  While NVidia has offerings in this field, it's only in high-end boards of which the Titan-X is actually the lowest cost card.  On their consumer/gamer models, Nvidia tends to not be very good about this.  

On the other hand, NVidia has historically been the champion at stability and support.  You want to run Linux?  At all?  Nvidia, no question - there's ATI drivers but their functionality has always been questionable at best and have been known to be dangerous on more occasions than I care to go back and count.  Even under Windows, NVidia has historically released fewer drivers with bluescreen bugs, performance hacks that don't actually improve performance, and other dangerous problems.  I'm not saying either side has a spotless record on this front, Nvidia's had their share of "scandals" too.  Just that, even today, I'm not sure I trust the ATI guys to deliver a rock-solid, has-to-just-work product where NVidia's usually managed it.

In short, go where you like if performance is all you care about on your video cards.  It really doesn't matter.  What does matter is which "tier" you aim at, and since most of us seem to have NVidia cards that's what we're probably going to talk relatively speaking.

I don't want a monopoly. I don't want a GPU that's as much as a fucking Rolex or yet another iPad.

My refresh build next year would be powered by an FM2 Athlon X4, 8gb of G.Skills, an R7 265 with 2gb, and a Gigabyte under them. I'd rather have snappy gameplay than trying to keep up with the Joneses who upload bloody hueg stuff on Dead End Thrills.

I don't want a monopoly. I don't want a GPU that's as much as a fucking Rolex or yet another iPad.

My refresh build next year would be powered by an FM2 Athlon X4, 8gb of G.Skills, an R7 265 with 2gb, and a Gigabyte under them. I'd rather have snappy gameplay than trying to keep up with the Joneses who upload bloody hueg stuff on Dead End Thrills.

This is the biggest issue right here, because we've already seen what Intel has done when AMD no longer proved to be viable threat, as sure as shit nVidia will do the same, because fabbing and making GPUs is fucking expensive, and AMD respinning their GCU business back into a discreet division is not a good sign, because it means they're probably shopping it around behind closed doors.

AMD currently has 26% presence in the dedicated consumer GPU market, and instead of the Fury being a leapfrog that everyone expected it to be, it was just a slightly under parity release with a much better price point, and nVidia will have both a smaller process and up to 32gig capacity on HBM 2nd gen next go round.

You're probably right on Intel - the only real reason to go with them right now is the current high-end AMD offering tries to get away with WAY too few FPUs to support next-gen games - that is potentially an issue when ports of games that were never considered for X360/PS3 support start coming down the pipe in a year or so, but there's no way to really know if the problems are going to be bad until they start coming out and just run terribly.  I'd call odds on that, maybe, 30% of it affecting any titles at all, and even then it's likely to just be bad ports that still have issues on Intel processors too (just not AS many.)

On the other hand, there are significant differences in between ATI and Nvidia. And no, you're NOT required to use ATI with AMD, and there's not even a significant benefit to doing so unless you're on the bleeding edge.  Motherboard manufacturers are pretty good about getting cross-compatibility features going within months of reference boards being released.

The thing is, those differences aren't really in performance.  Sure, there usually ARE differences, but they're within a few percentage points - it's been awhile since the last significant gap in performance between the same-generation boards, for all that us geeks like to debate.

Where ATI has generally had the advantage lately is in GPU-compute - using the video card for things other than actually displaying.  While NVidia has offerings in this field, it's only in high-end boards of which the Titan-X is actually the lowest cost card.  On their consumer/gamer models, Nvidia tends to not be very good about this.  

On the other hand, NVidia has historically been the champion at stability and support.  You want to run Linux?  At all?  Nvidia, no question - there's ATI drivers but their functionality has always been questionable at best and have been known to be dangerous on more occasions than I care to go back and count.  Even under Windows, NVidia has historically released fewer drivers with bluescreen bugs, performance hacks that don't actually improve performance, and other dangerous problems.  I'm not saying either side has a spotless record on this front, Nvidia's had their share of "scandals" too.  Just that, even today, I'm not sure I trust the ATI guys to deliver a rock-solid, has-to-just-work product where NVidia's usually managed it.

In short, go where you like if performance is all you care about on your video cards.  It really doesn't matter.  What does matter is which "tier" you aim at, and since most of us seem to have NVidia cards that's what we're probably going to talk relatively speaking.

This is actually very insightful, so thank you! I've haven't tried to run linux in ages (I just haven't had a reason to), which may have something to do with my lack of issues. On the other hand, maybe I've just hand exceptional luck--at the end of the day, I've heard a lot regarding ATI's instability, but I've never had an issue. Maybe it's tempting fate, but sometimes all you can do is go with what you know. 

I've heard a lot regarding ATI's instability

That was more than a decade ago, when nVidia GPUs were then the be-all and end-all must-haves and they steamrolled over their rivals. Until I bought an HD4670 as part of my first build.

On the other hand, NVidia has historically been the champion at stability and support.  You want to run Linux?  At all?  Nvidia, no question - there's AMD drivers but their functionality has always been questionable at best and have been known to be dangerous on more occasions than I care to go back and count. 

Who said that? nV's proprietary at best, and people had to code equivalent drivers just to run their cards on Linux.

Even under Windows, NVidia has historically released fewer drivers with bluescreen bugs, performance hacks that don't actually improve performance, and other dangerous problems.  

Maybe it's just me, or that nV's releasing driver updates a lot more frequently; I update Catalyst drivers only after I read about their stability first-hand, and I rarely had a problem with their drivers unless some games use Gameworks to cripple Radeons. Of late, however, people with R9 285s and 390s are having problems trying to run, say, GTA V.

I'm not sure I trust the AMD guys to deliver a rock-solid, has-to-just-work product where NVidia's usually managed it.

Fixed. ATI was a long, long time ago.

AMD currently has 26% presence in the dedicated consumer GPU market, and instead of the Fury being a leapfrog that everyone expected it to be, it was just a slightly under parity release with a much better price point, and nVidia will have both a smaller process and up to 32gig capacity on HBM 2nd gen next go round.

Right, and nV's advantage still lies in brand familiarity, as much as an Apple after they nearly crushed the rest of the competition almost two decades ago. Which is no wonder why where I live, GT730s are being snapped up so that gaming shops with hundreds of workstations can run DOTA2 on a full screen and purported energy savings.

----

Personally, with too many issues, I find Windows 10 too much of an embarrassment that I'll stick to 7. 

• 7 months later...

the other negative points about buying a prebuilt pc system:

bloatware, = programs you don't need nor will ever use

proprietary hard ware = if an item fails chances are you wont find another one like it without paying through the nose for it from the mfg, which can be in upwards of 2-3x's more then the actual build cost

proprietary software, example you have a power outtage, it comes back on and you find your hard drive or ssd scuttled, guess what, you get to download all those drivers and install Exe's again only the mfg didn't tell you they discontinued the support for that specific model 3 years ago and now you get to peace meal your drivers back together on they just don't feel right

Hey Antrox I'm curious , why would you suggest a Skylake platform over an X99 2011-v3 platform

Skylake is routinely faster and more energy efficient, and frankly much cooler. Also with the amount of cores most of the X99 (Haswell-E) platform has is strictly unique to things other then gaming. The fact that most games today don't use anymore then 4 cores, it would be a complete waste to get a 6-core and have at most; 2 being used per a game....

Hey Antrox I'm curious , why would you suggest a Skylake platform over an X99 2011-v3 platform

Skylake is routinely faster and more energy efficient, and frankly much cooler. Also with the amount of cores most of the X99 (Haswell-E) platform has is strictly unique to things other then gaming. The fact that most games today don't use anymore then 4 cores, it would be a complete waste to get a 6-core and have at most; 2 being used per a game....

I own a skylake system. built it my self , and I'm just backing Antrox up......its faster than the X99 platform I built for a friend.

I own a skylake system. built it my self , and I'm just backing Antrox up......its faster than the X99 platform I built for a friend.

I would get one but since my recent jump to a 4690k, i don't feel there is a need to. Plus Im saving money for a GTX 1070

Getting a little off-topic here, but does upgrading your CPU have as much an impact on performance with regards to Skyrim as opposed to upgrading a GPU? 

I have a 980ti, and the next on my list would be my CPU or buy some more ram but far as I know those upgrades would only bring marginal increases in performance for modded Skyrim. 

Getting a little off-topic here, but does upgrading your CPU have as much an impact on performance with regards to Skyrim as opposed to upgrading a GPU? 

I have a 980ti, and the next on my list would be my CPU or buy some more ram but far as I know those upgrades would only bring marginal increases in performance for modded Skyrim. 

Nope. No difference, skyrim (especially with an ENB) runs heavily off the GPU.

Archived