http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/70079/?

My own little mod. I finally managed to get rid of (most) tracking during attack animations. Thing is its only for NPC's and player. Still that little tweak made Skyrim combat feel almost completely different.

Perfectly compatible with Dark Souls Combat. Its compatible with pretty much anything as its just few value tweaks. If any mods overwrites mine, just move my mod so its loaded last and its fixed.

Yeah only humanoids as only they had setting like this. Hey, at least its better than having an enemy that can pivot 180deg when doing a thrust attack. Besides its very light mod that works with anything without any scripts and it fixes my biggest complaint about Skyrim's combat system.

Well i played with it a bit and it does work with some creatures like trolls but you can't riposte or backstab some of them. the rolling is really neat, its like the one from oblivion but better. Also could the rolling work even without having you in the ready combat stance?

I really wanted to use this because TK Dodge has been notoriously unreliable, but even the ESM, roll only version of this mod has a very long delay.

The delay of the roll depends on both your framerate, and scrip latency. 

Unless you always play with only 60fps no less and have very few script heavy mods, you will experience a delay in the roll. 

I really wanted to use this because TK Dodge has been notoriously unreliable, but even the ESM, roll only version of this mod has a very long delay.

The delay of the roll depends on both your framerate, and scrip latency. 

Unless you always play with only 60fps no less and have very few script heavy mods, you will experience a delay in the roll.

I don't know about that. I run pretty light on scripts already, and TK Dodge responds much faster than this.

I run pretty light on scripts already,

But what about your frame rates? you're already light on scripts, so that's good. BUTyou must play on high frame rate too.

Failing on one of these, then it's a goodbye to all mods where script responsivity is important.

TK Dodge responds much faster than this.

I could be wrong but my guess is, TK dodge used many things that are already in the game (animations, scripts, etc). That could be the reason why it could responds slightly faster.

While the things that DSC dodge uses, came from err... outside source a lot more than TK's (borrows more SKSE's and Fnis's functions, etc i could be wrong), in order to make the dodges act much more closer to Dark Souls. And it suceed, but the prize: dodges became more unresponsive

Combine it with low frame rates or heavily scripted mods (or worse: both), then it'll be a bitch to play with this mod. However, no matter how optimized your modded Skyrim is, i don't think you could completely remove the delay (0.2 seconds delay is the least you can get).

It's either a shitty but slightly responsive dodge that doesn't felt Dark Souls at all or an epic but slightly unresponsive dodge that felt much more closer to Dark Souls' dodge or no dodge at all.

I'd choose to keep the dodge in this mod if i were you. Skyrim is in extreme dire need of Souls' combat feature as many as it can, no matter what side effects that could happen to my Skyrim if some of them could be implemented but hey, that's just me with my fucked up taste lmao.

It's either a shitty but slightly responsive dodge that doesn't felt Dark Souls at all or an epic but slightly unresponsive dodge that felt much more closer to Dark Souls' dodge or no dodge at all.

I'd choose to keep the dodge in this mod if i were you. Skyrim is in extreme dire need of Souls' combat feature as many as it can, no matter what side effects that could happen to my Skyrim if some of them could be implemented but hey, that's just me with my fucked up taste lmao.

A third option could be an edit to TK dodge so instead of the default dodge animation the roll animation is played instead.

IMHO the current roll dodge has too many frames of animations, cutting out few would make animation appear faster, less in slow motion. This is common thing I noticed when people do animations (like in Source Film Maker, Gmod etc.) they make animations too detailed with makes them appear slow and odd looking.

That or making animation play faster, up to something like 25% faster.

• 2 months later...

So hey there one and all, new guy around here. Registered just so I could try out DSC... and like so many others before me, my dodge responsiveness is not that great, at all (was using the .esm too). I'm trying to reach a balance in regards to fps with my own configs, but I got a question regarding script latency:

If I disable other features from the full version (riposte for instance, personally feel like it's the most disposable of the main 3), would it help any? Also, would there be an accessible-enough way for me to see which mods exactly might be contributing the most to my script lag, instead of trial and error with the papyrus logs??

The backstab and parry mechanics consume like nothing in terms of the scripting engine. Code specific to them are negligible in volume compared to the poise feature. And disabling the feature in the MCM won't actually prevent some of the code related to the features from running (it can help, but not a lot). I would suggest using the Roll Version if that's the main feature you're interested in. There are other mods out there that implement stagger systems, with varying complexity, but most of them are less script-heavy compared to this mod. Combat Master is a very interesting one (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58717/?) and I can attest to the fact that it is much lighter on scripts than my mod (I've looked at the code itself though I have never tried it; its scripts were an inspiration for this mod).

In terms of reducing script lag, you probably know this, but for others who might be curious, you want to have high FPS. Each frame, scripts have a chance to run some of their code, so if you don't have relatively high FPS, scripts will run overall slowly. But, if you have low FPS, you can try increasing fUpdateBudgetMS and fExtraTaskletBudgetMS (I use 3.6; default is 1.2). This is the amount of time per frame dedicated to running scripts from what I understand. There are mixed perspectives about editing this value, so be warned; the crux of the worry is you would be spending more time running scripts instead of actually rendering the frame you see so that could decrease your FPS, and lower FPS means less time for scripts... so...

Oh hey Dried Finger! Thought you had moved on to other projects, good to see you're still providing feedback, appreciate it =)

The backstab and parry mechanics consume like nothing in terms of the scripting engine. Code specific to them are negligible in volume compared to the poise feature. And disabling the feature in the MCM won't actually prevent some of the code related to the features from running (it can help, but not a lot). I would suggest using the Roll Version if that's the main feature you're interested in. There are other mods out there that implement stagger systems, with varying complexity, but most of them are less script-heavy compared to this mod. Combat Master is a very interesting one (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58717/?) and I can attest to the fact that it is much lighter on scripts than my mod (I've looked at the code itself though I have never tried it; its scripts were an inspiration for this mod).

In terms of reducing script lag, you probably know this, but for others who might be curious, you want to have high FPS. Each frame, scripts have a chance to run some of their code, so if you don't have relatively high FPS, scripts will run overall slowly. But, if you have low FPS, you can try increasing fUpdateBudgetMS and fExtraTaskletBudgetMS (I use 3.6; default is 1.2). This is the amount of time per frame dedicated to running scripts from what I understand. There are mixed perspectives about editing this value, so be warned; the crux of the worry is you would be spending more time running scripts instead of actually rendering the frame you see so that could decrease your FPS, and lower FPS means less time for scripts... so...

Way ahead of you, installed the Dodge only version to give it a shot right after posting here... it's just one of my RAM sticks croaked on me shortly thereafter (still in mourning actually), so I still haven't tested it per se... but I'll let you know how it goes!

From what I'm reading, some of Combat Master's features are quite intriguing, thanks for the link! Though the supposed lack of a MCM menu is a bit troubling, I've gotta say... grown a bit accustomed to it (read: spoiled for choice) over the years. It also comes with its own dodge mechanic, hope it doesn't conflict with your mod... and/or with FNIS.... and/or with Better Vampires/taro8's Attack Commitment mod/Overpower -1h and 2h shield disarming/a bunch of other minor ones I got after I lagged through DSC in my quest to make combat less floaty. But who knows, if it's all that I might just run it solo!

Speaking of lag, I've checked that tweak you mentioned...... and something doesn't seem right here, because both are set to 800? fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=800 and fUpdateBudgetMS=800, does this make sense to you? Also, seeing as my setup is now suddenly lacking 4 gigs of RAM, how much should I go about setting for iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes on [Papyrus]? Currently only running with 8gb, would hate to hurt my rendering trying to alleviate skyrim's script problem... and I -need- that RAM for rendering, my gfx card is only 1gb!

Sorry for the excessively offtopic and rambly post, btw... It's just good to have some mod support going again! Thanks again!

EDIT: I'm silly, don't mind me. Awesome recommendation, really hopeful!

Speaking of script lag, TDF mah man you might want to look at Tk dodge that's been updated yesterday. The author said it's really fast and stable.

He fucking lied. It's actually INSTANTANEOUS AS FUCK EVEN IN 30 FPS HOLY SHIT

How in the fucking hell did tk managed to do that? Just... holy shit..

Now here's the question: Do you think that whatever he implement to make the dodges extremely responsive could increase DSC's dodge responsivity?

Not saying you should implement the things he did (you stopped modding after all), just curious really.

Someone actually indicated this to me the day it released. I immediately was intrigued. Looking at the files, it seems that tk directly modified behavior files. I've discussed this before, I think. Having checks run in scripts rather than having the animation engine deal with it is going to contribute a lot to the delay. I only wish I had the know-how to do what tk has done. Fascinating stuff really. But, alas, here I am, having spent 5 hours, from midnight to the early morning, a few days ago just trying to shorten an animation for a NPC potion drinking mod I was making... :(

Wow this mod is awesome. I really like the parry mechanics, especially since it makes blocking more useful. Speaking of parrying, would it be possible to make the parry timing different for each type of shields (lighter shields are easier, and heavier shields are harder), like the system in dark souls.

Someone actually indicated this to me the day it released. I immediately was intrigued. Looking at the files, it seems that tk directly modified behavior files. I've discussed this before, I think. Having checks run in scripts rather than having the animation engine deal with it is going to contribute a lot to the delay. I only wish I had the know-how to do what tk has done. Fascinating stuff really. But, alas, here I am, having spent 5 hours, from midnight to the early morning, a few days ago just trying to shorten an animation for a NPC potion drinking mod I was making... :(

Oh yeah i forgot that his dodge mod rely mostly on the game's engine.

But hey it's ok. it turns out that using DSC's dodge and TK dodge at the same time fixes the long dodge delay while still keeping the 3 stages of dodges from DSC.

Now i'm a happy man.
  • 2 weeks later...

My suggestion is instead of a downed animation, it'll better if it's replaced with recoil animation like the one used by Deadly Combat (for reference search "Skyrim mod - deadly combat (v3.1) trailer" on Youtube and start watching at 1:03). If we attack while they recoil, it'll play ANY killmove associated with our weapon with the exception of decapitation.

And in the spirit of Dark Souls, I also suggest that EVERY attack that we and the NPC made also consumes stamina. So instead of mindlessly attacking and hope that the attacks connect, we will look for a well-placed attack (quality over quantity). If we run out of stamina, we simply cannot attack (or block).

I don't know if what I'm suggesting is possible or not since I don't have any experience modding, but I hope that you can make it as similar as possible to what I'm suggesting to make combat in Skyrim more Dark Souls-y.

Thanks for all your contribution to the modding community smile.png

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a PSA if anyone has the same problems that I did, but Vilja In Skyrim has some problems with FNIS.  If your dodge isn't working, make sure that your FNIS patch files are loaded *after* the Vilja ones in MO.

• 1 month later...

CTD in the wilderness near dawnstar

[06/11/2016 - 09:58:46AM] Error: Unable to call Dispel - no native object bound to the script object, or object is of incorrect type
stack:
    [None].BB_Poise_NullifyParryDispelScript.Dispel() - "<native>" Line ?
    [None].BB_Poise_NullifyParryDispelScript.OnAnimationEvent() - "BB_Poise_NullifyParryDispelScript.psc" Line 9
[06/11/2016 - 09:58:47AM] Error: Unable to call Dispel - no native object bound to the script object, or object is of incorrect type
stack:
    [None].BB_Poise_NullifyParryDispelScript.OnAnimationEvent() - "BB_Poise_NullifyParryDispelScript.psc" Line 9
[06/11/2016 - 09:58:47AM] Error: Unable to call Dispel - no native object bound to the script object, or object is of incorrect type
stack:

Since a long time, I was looking for a mod who trigger kill move animation EXACTLY the way you handle them.

It make me really lust for your mod, while unfortunately the poise system turned me down a lot.

(I  understand the need for this modification in the wonky skyrim combat, but it's too heavy for my game).

You wrote in a previous post that even if the other feature of your mod are disabled in the MCM it  won't help too much.

I know request are not the most fancy post.

But could you release a "critical hits-only" like you did for the roll only version ?

You'd make a truly happy fellow.