[Help needed] Modding wind-up times for attacks

taro8

I wanted to start discussion here as LL is a place with people who have more experience in animations 9if you know what I mean ;).

Anyway, I want to change the attack animations so the wind-up time (the bit before swinging) is longer. I wish to make combat more like in Dark Souls. My Attack Commitment mod really helped out, but I still dont like hackjob the Skyrim is. When using EHSE - Reactive Combat I noticed that sometimes enemies have much longer wind-up time (due to speed penalty on multiple swings) and then attack with normal speed. It was just perfect.

However, rather than using scripts to achieve that (and put even more load on script engine) I would prefer to change the animations to extend the wind-up time. Of course I would also like to make the damage "window" work properly as well.

AFAIK the damage "window" can be changed in behaviour files (somehow), but what about the wind-up time? Would editing the animation itself be needed.

Could anyone with experience with this kind of stuff share some info on this?

For the Alternate Animations FNIS uses the same AnimEvents and timing as in the original files. This is particularly important for attack animations, where shorter duration of the alternates can cause all kind of glitches (e.g. double-hit, multi-sound)

This is from Fore's Alternate Animations documentation for modders which was included in his FNIS v6.0 Beta. To me, this suggests that an animation file itself contains data that can independently illicit a "HitFrame". Additionally, a hitframe can be called by animation events that get called when a certain animation is played (which would be specified in the behavior files). In any case, what you're suggesting seems to be possible I would think, but I don't know enough to say. Maybe contact Fore (he's here on Loverslab) and ask him. Maybe he'll respond? But it seems like something he would have a lot of knowledge about.

Archived