Dead or Alive 5: Last Round Modding

AwfulArchdemon

SO.

In a completely unexpected (And by that, I mean expected) fashion: This happens.

Team Ninja. Delays game by a month, takes out features, downgrades graphics, delays online play for 3 months, gives fake promises, claiming they are delaying the game "To give our players the best experience possible", and all I can understand from what Awfularchdemon is saying...

Is that Team Ninja spent that entire month of delay, trying to make modding as hard as possible. THAT right there, IS A JOKE. They could have spent their time and money to optimize the game and make it on par with the PS4 / XBone version, BUT NO F'ING WAY, let's just waste a bunch of resources on preventing nude mods. Who cares if the game is not optimized at all? It's not like people would want to run with the game with more than 10 FPS anyway!

Like...Where has humanity gone so wrong that such stupidity is allowed to exist? I hope nobody buys this pile of disappointment so that TN figures if they want to succeed on the PC, they have to actually make an effort to make a good port rather than wasting time, trying to prevent mods.

I'm pretty sure I'm just jumping to conclusions right now, so PLEASE correct me if I'm 100% incorrect. Because I can't guarantee the safety of this laptop in front of me if TN did indeed spend an entire month, wasting time and resources on screwing up the game's files as much as possible to make modding near impossible.

...Seriously though, from a first look, what seems to be the chances of successful modding? 5%?

My first post on Lover's Lab, and all I do is rant about TN's stupidity. Lol...

So can you install it on something other than C: if your Steam is on another drive?

YES

Wherever your Steam is, that's where the game's going. Honestly, there is very little truth to all the bad things I've read about. The game's fine. Has every setting I wanted. No complaints here. It's worth getting. I've had no issues, and it's still the same ol' kickass DOA it always was, with a bit more.

First screens of my favorite fighter - Lei Fang:

• post-111270-0-13974000-1427738181_thumb.jpg
  • post-111270-0-80357900-1427738196_thumb.jpg
  • post-111270-0-79627600-1427738201_thumb.jpg

EDIT! Those are not the highest settings for graphics! I am changing it now.

I'm pretty sure I'm just jumping to conclusions right now, so PLEASE correct me if I'm 100% incorrect.

You're not 100% incorrect, no. But, the game is running perfectly on medium settings. I haven't gone all the way up yet. I'm actually looking at the exact differences between graphics settings.

No Soft Engine = no OMG setting in Breast Motion options. We get 3/4 of them. Goes Off, Natural (is default to this), and DOA. I'm using Natural to see how natural they really look. So far, so good.

Particles are gone I guess, but I haven't noticed. Then again, I didn't play in a place with explosions yet.

My VC is GeForce GTX 650ti, which falls under the Minimum Requirements.

As someone new to the DOA series and modding, I will help the best I can.

I also found this petition on Change.org fighting to get the cut features added back in. I'll just stick it hear since, well to be honest we all want it and its removal brought us here.

Sign the Petition

Well...

My biggest concern is the CPU. I have an Intel i5 M460 2.53 GHz (At least that's what the thing says it is). That is like...A lot lower than the minimum. I don't wanna download something, only to find out it destroys my potatoe of a computer.

Albeit considering Vanilla DOA5 came out in 2012, I find it hard to believe the specs are actually that high. I'll probably be fine, but still worried regardless.

hahaha, i'm laughing at those negative reviewers in steam store page. The game just came out you crying nerds! Review it once you play the hell out of it. For me I have played this game since it came out for the PS3 during its DOA5 then to DOA5LR transition. DOA5 is much slower in combat and in DOA5+  it has downgraded graphics for the vita. Then in DOA5U the games fighting turned up fast, now you can chain combos in quick succession. As for DOA5LR in PS4, it's the same with DOA5U with additional characters, upped the engine quite a bit, more smoother frames and fixed the input/frame delay. I have yet to play the PC version, still downloading atm (internet is slow). It's a good game guys! so stop whining! I like it better than Tekken; hated those juggling combos shit, can't even fight back once you get juggled. Atleast in DOA you can stop it via counters/holds.

As someone new to the DOA series and modding, I will help the best I can.

I also found this petition on Change.org fighting to get the cut features added back in. I'll just stick it hear since, well to be honest we all want it and its removal brought us here.

Sign the Petition

I signed that a while ago. ;) My post is there on Steam.

Well...

My biggest concern is the CPU. I have an Intel i5 M460 2.53 GHz (At least that's what the thing says it is). That is like...A lot lower than the minimum. I don't wanna download something, only to find out it destroys my potatoe of a computer.

Albeit considering Vanilla DOA5 came out in 2012, I find it hard to believe the specs are actually that high. I'll probably be fine, but still worried regardless.

I don't know what to tell you with your VC. Might work, might not. It says the specs are high, but I know it runs crystal clear on my PC. It doesn't appear to be putting a beating on anything.

@galhound: It's fun! I know that much! :D Glad you're getting it on PC. We'll have to beat the crap out of each other online when it becomes available. :P I've always liked their online lobbies. Even for DOAX2. If they make a DOAX3 for PC...I'm not gonna see the light of day for months! :blush:

@galhound: It's fun! I know that much! :D Glad you're getting it on PC. We'll have to beat the crap out of each other online when it becomes available. :P I've always liked their online lobbies. Even for DOAX2. If they make a DOAX3 for PC...I'm not gonna see the light of day for months! :blush:

already bought it since december last year lol hahahaha. DOAX3 hnnng! oh gawd! i love the DOAX series in xbox so much. I hope they make it for current gen consoles and PC before DOA6 and maybe add some mud wrestling like in Rumble Roses? I hope they do!

So can you install it on something other than C: if your Steam is on another drive?

YES

Wherever your Steam is, that's where the game's going. Honestly, there is very little truth to all the bad things I've read about. The game's fine. Has every setting I wanted. No complaints here. It's worth getting. I've had no issues, and it's still the same ol' kickass DOA it always was, with a bit more.

Good to hear that its not as bad as the things you've read.    I plan on getting this as soon as I can afford it, its very high on my wish list!

Thanks for all the reviews!!!

Anyone make any progress unpacking the files? i am willing to help mod (have a decent amount of experience with fallout and tes series). However, i don't understand the structures of these files, there is alot of data in the shortcut files?

The game doesn't properly map with Xbox controllers... that's pretty fucked up. You can't map the triggers and your start button is stuck to the right analog stick.

Team Ninja PLZ!

Also these files have everyone stumped... looks like modding won't come as soon as we thought :(

?

My 360 controller works fine, and buttons be mapped in Controls>Custom. I can map my triggers.

37 45 users are reading this topic?! Um...well, we don't have to worry about modders finding it then. :D You'd think mods were already out. :blush:

Don't worry DOA fans! I'm gonna look through these files like crazy, but I just gotta play it a little first. Won't be long before my focus goes to modding it. I want it, I need it, and I love it.

• post-111270-0-29297100-1427755169_thumb.jpg
  • post-111270-0-61502000-1427755177_thumb.jpg
  • post-111270-0-84199300-1427755221_thumb.jpg

Without reading the name of the pic, can you guess who's ass this is?

• post-111270-0-01987000-1427755296_thumb.jpg

Got to say, I'm by no means an experienced or talented modder, but the files the game uses confuses the hell out of me. 

Some of the videos are just stored in plain WMV files, so cutting the intro and such is easy. The DATA folders are... messy at best. The file names are complete nonsense and don't even have a file extension. The main file seems to be the chara_common ones. One of them is a BIN file (might be able to mount it or convert to CUE, but the large files are shortcut files... Very odd. 

I'm experimenting with different methods of opening them, but I've never seen a game with files like this before. 

Also, playing at 4K maxed (not that there's really any quality options) and no issues, running nice and smooth. The game could really do with some high res textures though. 

Right? Files are crazy! There's a way. Oh, and there are a lot of .bin files. Should be a way to modify those, but until we figure out what to do with the no-extension files, I am plain ol' confused about those. Movies are a breeze to replace. I believe a Hex Editor may help with those loony files.

So people know, if you start your game with your 360 controller off, and turn it on to use it, you will get stuck at the Autosave screen. Have the controller ON before you fire up DOA5LR.

Right? Files are crazy! There's a way. Oh, and there are a lot of .bin files. Should be a way to modify those, but until we figure out what to do with the no-extension files, I am plain ol' confused about those. Movies are a breeze to replace. I believe a Hex Editor may help with those loony files.

So people know, if you start your game with your 360 controller off, and turn it on to use it, you will get stuck at the Autosave screen. Have the controller ON before you fire up DOA5LR.

Well, considering the weird .link/shortcut files are the largest ones, and considering the naming of them (chara_common being 2GB) it's probably safe to say that's what we're looking at for replacing or at least getting some access to meshes and textures. 

The nonsense files ("IZE@G@MB]NF0C20C7Q7]C61S{FD") <yes, that is actually its name> is only around 250,000 KB, and most of them are much smaller. Maybe some scripts/parameters or something. If someone could find a way to adjust the physics system, that would be awesome. 

I can't quite tell if these files are just the result of a bad port, or deliberately hard to access. 

The game doesn't properly map with Xbox controllers... that's pretty fucked up. You can't map the triggers and your start button is stuck to the right analog stick.

Team Ninja PLZ!

Also these files have everyone stumped... looks like modding won't come as soon as we thought :(

?

My 360 controller works fine, and buttons be mapped in Controls>Custom. I can map my triggers.

Are you using a wired or wireless pad? I'm using a wired Hori 360 pad and I can't map the triggers... the game is actually reading start and select as the trigger buttons. Lots of others have this problem too.

My PS3 Mad Catz stick works just fine though

Archived