Skyrim Modding Guide

Glad you found it useful, and feel free to hate me a little bit, I can take it. ;)

Once you're done with the first page feel free to skim posts, lot of garbage here, the first page until I say "you can stop reading now" is what is important, if you use that stuff and apply it to the rest of your mods (look at papyrus, let Prisoner check out your mods, use Janitor, be careful about uninstalling mod save, etc) then you'll be fine really, the other lists and mods on the remaining 14-15 pages and counting are all just mods I and others have found useful. I haven't covered half of the mods I actually use of course, as not many others than me would find much use in my exact mod list, so I'm only posting about stuff with general appeal and can be applied to multiple playing styles.

@Dragons - just how many dragon mods are there? i thought deadly dragons + mighty handles dragons ? what you mean by have resources to use dragon combat overhaul ? (damn that funny approach of the author i have really no desire to read his mod page)

@Merging - do share knowledge. I'm taking my first steps into advanced modding (or so i would call bashing and merging). You use that script to merge mods? I've been looking up mod conflicts and some mods seem to conflict where i wouldn't suspect them to (like wenches conflicting with ELFX Oo).

There's a shitload of Dragon mods, but not all of them plays nicely together.

The new star child beloved by everyone is Elemental Dragons, it changes all the dragons and tons of cool effects. Author also includes a much cooler Alduin. Author also gives you 3 duplicate shouts because he forgot to clean that out of his mod. Gopher raved about Elemental Dragons being so damn tough, the Nexus bitches are crying because they found it so hard. I installed it, I played to level 60, I killed the hardest dragon in the mod with 3 arrows. I uninstalled it, I went back to Enhanced Mighty Dragons.

Deadly Dragons; The classic, infallible, and I include it on my front page of mods you should have anyway. Completely incompatible with Elemental Dragons.

Enhanced Mighty Dragons; puts tons of unique named dragons in the game, gives them a lot of new resistances, better tactics, better armor, and so on. Some versions (like the uploaded merged version of the most difficult one that you'll be spending 3 hours on fighting Mirmulnir even) are fully compatible with Deadly Dragons. Script free, can be taken out at any time if you want to go back boring non-mighty dragons. I won't hold it against you, you whuss. :P

Dragon Combat Overhaul; Yeah I despise ApolloDown's sense of humor, because he has none. Informative descriptions of what his mod actually does would be a lot better. However his mod is actually extremely cool, it doesn't put new dragons in or give them more health or whatever, but it changes their tactics DRAMATICALLY! A dragon will rain fire from the skies, set the ground on fire, if you hurt it it might go into rage and deal massive damage, or send out a cry and summon multiple additional dragons (Mirmulnir once summoned 3 extra dragons), if you cut a dragon that flies low in mid flight it will crash, but otherwise it's health values has nothing to do with how long it flies (vanilla dragons, even enhanced mighty + deadly dragons have to land aorund 40 %). You can shoot a dragon out of the skies and it'll ragdoll and fall straight down, instead of going into one of maybe three predetermined animations. And if you utterly overwhelm a dragon and kill it in record time because you're just that good, there's a good chance that instead of the normal death sequences it'll die an explosive death screaming in agony just like Alduin. But this mod is CHOCK FULL of scripts, and these are dangerous scripts, if you are running on maybe 20 mods and no other mods running in the middle of dragon combat it's perfectly safe and you're going to have a blast. Oh so you're running 200+ mods and you have 30+ mods that will be active and polling during dragon combat? Then the mod is going to leave traces in your save that will bloat it and kill it, and there's a good chance that you'll crash multiple times in every single dragon fight, and the only way you'll be able to reload your saves is if you let Janitor clean it first, each freaking time you have to reload. So yeah, insanely cool mod, but you're going to have to decide if it's worth it. One thing to keep in mind for it, that awesome ApolloDown liked Deadly Dragons Assault function so much that he removed all control of it from you, and set no locations in the game as safe zones, meaning that if you're inside Whiterun without running Open Cities you could suddenly have 3 ancient dragons spawn in and start bombarding the marked and killing all the NPCs and being uttelry inable to land anywhere so you can fight them, and when they die from your desperate arrows there's a good chance you'll never get their souls or loot. Oh and they can also spawn in places like Blackreach, Soul Cairn, Apocrypta and other places that makes absolutely no sense that dragons should spawn in. And you have no control over how often they spawn, or how many. I just love that ApolloDown, he's such a fun guy.

Ultimate Dragons is by the guy that did Ultimate Combat and TK Combat, and he's a korean or chinese or something that doesn't speak a word english, so the amount of documentation on his mods are very slim. Howerver it'll change dragon combat a lot of the same ways Dragon Combat Overhaul will, it will give dragons a lot of new moves, limit breakers, animations and tactics, it'll make it a lot more interesting at least. I don't think  this has the same issues as Dragon Combat Overhaul, but I can't be 100 % certain in this. I've used his TK Combat forever and love it and have no issues with it, but TK Dodge crashed me multiple times. I can promise you it's not going to spawn 3 ancient dragons in the Eldergleam Sanctuary flying into walls however. Note however that Ultimate Dragons includes a HP scaler that's by default set to x3, you'll want to turn this off entirely and let Deadly Dragons handle HP scaling, and if you're using Enhanced Mighty Dragons as well you'll probably wait quite a long while before you start adding stuff to dragons, Deadly Dragons scalers exist there to help them catch up to the DovahGod you're inevitably going to become later in the game (or does that only happen to me?). Do not ever use Ultimate Dragons and Dragon Combat Overhaul together, they are not compatible.

World Eater Beater is for Alduin alone, it'll rest dormant until you get there. It's basically a mini-adventure on various funny planes of existence that takes place sometimes between Alduin appearing for the final fight and when you actually take him down, basically just make the finale more epic. Can be combined with any of the above if you play with it in TES5Edit with a merge patch. Watch Shinji's video for more info.

For any of you that's still actually using PerMa, here's a bit of insight from a modder I really trust and who's mods I love, EnaiSiaon, author of Apocalypse, Thunderchild, Spectraverse, Dwemertech, Aurora and more. And that Wintermyst that T3nd0 decided to ship PerMa with, because he and Enai were "butt buddies".

That's because the PerMa patcher is garbage. People have reported it crashing on a clean install even. And it also crashes on that Spectraverse patch that changes one variable.

Doesn't matter anyway, just add Apocalypse after you're done patching. The patcher doesn't do anything that isn't already in Apocalypse anyway.

Maybe T3nd0 will actually fix it one day after he fixes the five million other bugs in PerMa.

I love the idea of PerMa and how it's set up, but I'm going to wait at least another year until I reinstall that mod. Seems it's still got a lot of growing pains to get through.

Here's a mod that made me a little happy, full conversion of the Immersive Armors to CBBE; http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58708/?#content

Now if you don't use CBBE - like me - the option here is also to download that pack, then head over here to UKC's conversions for UNPB; http://www.loverslab.com/topic/17397-uglykidcid-unpb-tpsb-mash-up-modified-fixed-outfits-boutique/UNPB fits SevenBase and the like fairly well. The armors he covers are the "skimpy" ones in the set, where you'd actually see the difference, unlike say Dwemer Brigand or Einherjar. So load the CBBE version first, then UNPB verison to overwrite on those armors.

Also do make sure to grab the aMidianBorn Textures for Immersive Armors, as well as any other armor retexture mod that covers the vanilla assets used by these armors, as most of them do. Interestingly enough, the boots and gauntlets on Einherjar Brigadine armor which I use often also get swapped out if you use the Warmonger's Armory with ones that I think are better, and some other pieces are swapped out as well since that mod also uses vanilla assets and modifies them. Alternately if you use Town Guard Armors Retextured it will cover some of the armors also, since some of those armor sets use guard armor assets. Something to keep in mind if your Immersive Armors end up looking different than you were expecting when reportedly it's not overwritten by any mods.

Sacremas HELP please ...

Trying to install ENBoost but the result is just crashing ... have followed all the guides but with no result even installed DirectX 9.0 but still can't fix ENBoost to work if i remove the files then the game goes perfect. any idea any suggestion ?????

Operating System

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz    38 °C

Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68X-UD3H-B3 (Socket 1155)    36 °C

Graphics

S27C350 (1920x1080@60Hz)

Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Gigabyte)

4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)    38 °C

Storage

186GB Seagate ST3200827AS ATA Device (SATA)    34 °C

1863GB Seagate ST32000542AS ATA Device (SATA)    31 °C

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AB ATA Device

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

SKSE.ini :

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Display]

iTintTextureResolution=2048

[Memory]

defaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

scrapHeapSizeMB=384

ENBoost problems.7z

Having never actually installed ENBoost because I've always had a card good enough to run an ENB, I'm not sure how much help I can be.

Try installing RealVision like I describe in the first page, it doesn't matter if it's not something you're going to use due to low performance or whatever (though install option 3 with as much as possible toggled off, you're gettign ENBoost with a better VRAM detector and color palette), but if you crash the same way with that then it may be an issue with your setup, possibly the d3d9.dll file not being usable for some reason.

Also note that ENBs should be usable on a completely virgin game, not even SKSE installed, so what you have on those values won't matter if you're not crashing without ENBoost.

Having never actually installed ENBoost because I've always had a card good enough to run an ENB, I'm not sure how much help I can be.

Try installing RealVision like I describe in the first page, it doesn't matter if it's not something you're going to use due to low performance or whatever (though install option 3 with as much as possible toggled off, you're gettign ENBoost with a better VRAM detector and color palette), but if you crash the same way with that then it may be an issue with your setup, possibly the d3d9.dll file not being usable for some reason.

Also note that ENBs should be usable on a completely virgin game, not even SKSE installed, so what you have on those values won't matter if you're not crashing without ENBoost.

Hmmm you have a point will hold the ties to install ENBoost as I don't know how much useful will be with the NMM had succeed 177+ mods working without any problem + Sexlab SexSlaves :) so will try to set an ENB and will return.

Thanks so much for your quick reply ~

I'm looking for suggestions for a medium power perk mod, slow leveling system. Specifically something balanced and not too high maintance but that won't make me end up the DovahGod too soon. I'm going to end up there sooner or later of course but I'd like to struggle to make ends meet up until then. I would try Requiem but I have had bad experiences with that. SkyRe is next option. PerMa would be perfect if it actually worked. SPERG is my favorite as I've said, but it's very high powered and leveling is fast.

Anyone else have suggestions? If I don't find anything I'm going to try the SPERG Hardcore MCM option and turn off gaining skills from completing quests and the like. Maybe use an ERSO option to slow down leveling even more. I'd like to stay low-level as long as possible, it takes me about three ingame days to reach level 20 normally.

EDIT: How did Long become Fast?

Oh and here's some extra modding advice.

Never, ever buy a mod. Buying a mod makes the mod-maker a service provider and actually responsible for his product, meaning you get entiled to something that won't blow up your game and that will work with everything else. If you've learned anything at all by now, it's that that's never going to happen, not all the time, and you might not use the mod for long even.

HOWEVER... please, please whenever you can try to donate to the mod-makers. These guys work very hard to give us great stuff, and often it's at the expense of hundreds if not thousands of work-hours they could be spending on feeding themselves and their family. Money are always short unless you've won the lottery (be it the actual lottery or the genetic one), but look at a mod that is going to or have given you a lot of enjoyment like you would a steam game that you've spent money on. After the shit Steam and Bethesda put the authors through and what they almost did to the community, pirate the game, and pay the modders. That should show them which side of this we support.

Maybe this could be an option head over to there paywall mod on steam and leave message like i was going to donate but now no longer want too. :P

btw so far i only seen crappy mods on steam not something i would even buy in store.

I'm looking for suggestions for a medium power perk mod, slow leveling system. Specifically something balanced and not too high maintance but that won't make me end up the DovahGod too soon. I'm going to end up there sooner or later of course but I'd like to struggle to make ends meet up until then. I would try Requiem but I have had bad experiences with that. SkyRe is next option. PerMa would be perfect if it actually worked. SPERG is my favorite as I've said, but it's very high powered and leveling is fast.

Anyone else have suggestions? If I don't find anything I'm going to try the Hardcore MCM option and turn off gaining skills from completing quests and the like. Maybe use an ERSO option to slow down leveling even more. I'd like to stay low-level as fast as possible, it takes me about three ingame days to reach level 20 normally.

have you tried this version ??

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/43971

If Awake - The Rise of Mannimarco had shown up on the Workshop behind a paywall, then I might pay for it. Same with Falskaar or other "unofficial DLCs". Anything else is just like Horse Armor all over again. Good if it's a bundle with a lot of other good stuff (Knights of the Nine for example), robbery if it's on it's own. If Bethesda would contact people and teams actually able to make these huge mods and offer them money up front and a featured place on the workshop once they are released and advertise for them, hell I might even be good with them getting a largish cut and would be thrilled. But however much I love iNeed and Arissa, I'm not paying for merely updated versions of them. I might donate to Chesko and Isoku once those mods end up on the Nexus however. If they never do, I'm pirating Fallout 4. It's that simple.

Thanks for the link/suggestion, I'm going to try it out with SPERG toggled to Hardcore. The ability to set a toggle to switch between a set of perks, how brilliant is that, it doesn't work out for you you uncheck the box. On the other hand T3nd0 doesn't like MCM at all, he doesn't think the world should be able to be regulated on a whim. Says a modder who's regulated the world on a whim in a mod, because he knows better.

Sacremas HELP please ...

Trying to install ENBoost but the result is just crashing ... have followed all the guides but with no result even installed DirectX 9.0 but still can't fix ENBoost to work if i remove the files then the game goes perfect. any idea any suggestion ?????

Operating System

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz    38 °C

Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68X-UD3H-B3 (Socket 1155)    36 °C

Graphics

S27C350 (1920x1080@60Hz)

Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Gigabyte)

4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)    38 °C

Storage

186GB Seagate ST3200827AS ATA Device (SATA)    34 °C

1863GB Seagate ST32000542AS ATA Device (SATA)    31 °C

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AB ATA Device

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

SKSE.ini :

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Display]

iTintTextureResolution=2048

[Memory]

defaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

scrapHeapSizeMB=384

attachicon.gifENBoost problems.7z

instead of installing enboost, try to make these changes (this is from the realvision page, with similiar findings on the S.T.E.P. sites)

Manually Installation

• NMM users: Copy all files and folders from ..\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\RealVision_ENB_files to ..\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim
  • MO users: Copy all files and folders from ..\Mod Organizer\mods\RealVision ENB (version)\RealVision_ENB_files to ..\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim
  • Navigate to ..\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim, open enblocal.ini and set these values:
  • [MEMORY]

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true <--- If you have 32 bit Windows, set it to "false".

ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true <--- enables the ENBoost features to dramatically reduce CTDs.

DisableDriverMemoryManager=false <--- true for AMD users experiencing CTDs even while ENBoost features are enabled.

DisablePreloadToVRAM=false <--- enabling could potentially help to load a save game which fails to load otherwise but may cause stuttering.

EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false <--- enabling this is generally not safe, but it's a workaround for users experiencing large amount of stuttering.

ReservedMemorySizeMb=XXX <--- start with 64, increase in increments of 128 ( 256, 384, 512, ..., 1024 ) until stuttering has ceased.

Only use >=512 with at least 2-3Gb VRAM.

VideoMemorySizeMb=XXXX <--- RAM + VRAM - 2048 (1Gb=1024) if your RAM < 8Gb. If you have RAM bigger or equal to 8Gb (8192Mb) use 

(Total Available Video/Graphics Memory - [170 (for win7) or 350 (for win8/10)]).

EnableCompression=false <--- deactivating compression can reduce stuttering, but at the cost of more RAM usage.

It's generally recommended to be disabled on systems with more than 2Gb VRAM.

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false <-- Because it keeps guessing wrong.

[ENGINE]

ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true

MaxAnisotropy=16 <-- set to 8 for more FPS. optical difference is tolerable.

EnableVSync=true

AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false

VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

[LIMITER]

WaitBusyRenderer=false

EnableFPSLimit=false

Also check this page on STEP for detailed infos on memory settings and how to find out your Total Available Video Memory value.

>> This is ENBoost. Do not download ENBoost from the Nexus. You already have it! <<

dont forget to make a back-up, in case it does not help or you do not like the changes!

edit:  dont forget that both enboost and ENB's require the latest file from ENBseries.   Links and instructions on dowloading that file are on most enb pages, and in this guide with the realvision post.

hmmm feeling sorry to bother you but as i try to fix certain things MO brings questions. If anyone knows where to put The Uncapper with MO will help. Usually with NMM was in Skyrim\data\SKSE\Plugins  if I remember well but now with MO it should work in Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\Uncapper.dll Uncapper.ini     But it doesn't and the only place where exists SKSE\Plugins is in mods\SKSE Overwrite\SKSE\Plugins

If anyone knows and can help much appreciated

Thanks

hmmm feeling sorry to bother you but as i try to fix certain things MO brings questions. If anyone knows where to put The Uncapper with MO will help. Usually with NMM was in Skyrim\data\SKSE\Plugins  if I remember well but now with MO it should work in Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\Uncapper.dll Uncapper.ini     But it doesn't and the only place where exists SKSE\Plugins is in mods\SKSE Overwrite\SKSE\Plugins

If anyone knows and can help much appreciated

Thanks

i would suggest sky tweak instead, it is endorsed in the guide by Sacremas.   I use it, and it gives you all those choices that the mod you were looking at and many more.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33395/?

see the early pages of the guide for the full breakdown of this mod.

Thanks a lot Mimirue17 I have used Uncapper long time with NMM and never had any problem plus was very easy to install it. I don't know SkyTweak and will check again the pages. Doing all the changes few days now I have read an epitome in mods conflicts bla bla bla really confusing your mind after a bit. But thanks to Sacremas guidance and the whole guide here that was possible so maybe 10-15 more mods and have finished. Really counting 150+ on the moment and the games runs very good. Sure I will have to change some loading orders test some things but except some difficulties MO is a really good tool I am not complaining about NMM but some functions are great.

Do you have the original Alicia installed, or anything else affecting Breezehome, like one of the Breezehome makeovers? Did you install a mod that depended on one of those makeovers maybe? If so it would be crashing as it tried to load a missing mesh.

Heads up anyone who took a look at Mighty Magick after I suggested it, I mentioned I was using it to the author of Apocalypse, who's also known as the legendary Diablo modder BrotherLaz, he went in and found alot of glaring errors and basically told me to find something else. So SPERG it is for me.

Heads up anyone who took a look at Mighty Magick after I suggested it, I mentioned I was using it to the author of Apocalypse, who's also known as the legendary Diablo modder BrotherLaz, he went in and found alot of glaring errors and basically told me to find something else. So SPERG it is for me.

Well just yesterday i gave mighty magick in game look and was very dissapointed with the "app/adept/master spells 50% cheaper" perks still present. Guess that fixes my problem. I did like however the idea of enchants increasing spell damage rather then reducing cost.

EDIT: did read your talk - how was forgotten magic redone scalling apocalypse spells Oo

also i've been sniffing your load order in search of things that might find usefull (and found some yes!) but i got some questions

-PCEA (PC exclusive animation path)  - you said once that it is too buggy to use, has that changed?

-theft and seduction - mod page says it is in conflict with inconsequential NPCs

-animations - i see you got quite a mix of them - i recognise all but sevenbase animations - are those any good?

PCEA - That was my misunderstanding with the mod and how it worked on animations, I've used it for a while now and I got exclusive magic and combat animations, but NPCs can still have sex animations, so it's fine. However note to work as it does that mod makes new copies of every goddamn race and child race in skyrim, so if you don't manually edit every single child race if you're using a replacer they will look like freaks, same goes if you want Imperious Racials to work for example. I would suggest no racial overhaul and use custom races for less work, and manually edit the children, and if you're using it load Deadly Mutilation after it.

-Theft and Seduction; Really? I see that now but I have not run into any such occasion. The conflict may be becuase the InqNPCs can be people like servants that can notice you murdering the victim (they tend to stand and glare at you mid sex scene as if you were intruding) and so could report you even when you were "clever" about it. But this goes for any such NPC, and those particular NPCs can be murdered without any problems to clear your bounty then.

-Animations, Oh you don't know the half of it, I have over 3000 animations registed via FNIS now. Lots from SeleneKate and the like. The SeveNBase ones is a very sensual walk and a sexy idle, I use it for my super-seductress females like a Temptress or Succubus, to get them just download SeveNBase, then go into the Meshes directory and copy out the Animations folder and make a new mod out of that. You won't get the twirling idle on a custom race, but you'll get everything else, and the twirling is annoying anyway. You are most likely using FNIS Sexy Walk, but for yourself head into that and choose default walk animation, you'll get this ultra-sensous walk, I call it my "predator's prowl" walk, I have a really slim waist and large breasts and butt and tighs on my girl, when she walks you can really see the back slithering back and forth as her shoulders move, and if you're using TBBP clothing you'll see the butt moving fantastically. It's HIGHLY distracting I can tell you! Deselect that for any NPCs if you want to be unique.

Mighty Magic does things behind the scenes you can't see, by the time you have 100 skill you'll have about an x20 scaling in spell power, hence "mighty", but it does it in a rather clumsy way and you get there without taking a single perk. It scales shouts but only some of them, use Thunderchild for better shout scaling. And the magic items are... stupidly powerful, like one item giving twice as powerful shouts, use Daedric Artifacts Improved and Improved Artifacts for better ones.

animations- thanks it turns i knew them as dragonfly animations. Idd it is quite a pain to create good pack with seamless animation transitions. I don't use FNIS move yet , but will. I'm mostly interested in preventing childs/old ppl getting the sexy walks/idles - hope FNIS move will handle that if not the other option ...

PCEA - mhm well its black magic for me when you say "Edit race" :P.

Mighty magic- well i was under impression it just its own spells that level with you. If it scalles also other things - that is not good.

Thanks for link again - hope it(simple magic rebalance) works with sperg and wintermyst.

Would also like to ask about mod merging - i found this, is it good?

Merging mods I'm still learning so I can't tell you.

Rebalance should work fine with those mods, and just about any other mod that doesn't also change those values, I even used them with Mighty Magick to make sure all robes were changed this way.

PCEA Race Edit; Okay open TES5Edit loading all your mods, head into your child replacer, expand it, head into Race, expand it, they will probably all be red and in game will look like zombies (I'm not even fucking kidding, they are gross). So grab everything that's red and drag and drop them onto the other categories from your child replacer race until they are all green.

Here's a ESP replacer where I did all that for RS Children, it's got that as a requirement however. Note that I didn't bother making them able to be pickpocketed except the Imperial race, after that I mass-dragged everything. Do it yourself if you want to pickpocket those urchins back. Note you can also make them killable this way without extra mods, RS Children even includes a decapitate FX if you want to be gruesome.

https://mega.co.nz/#!BRZnVTSI!NOBHbR8ly_iJLIXgpnKqJOwrUJ9_X5SjCo_UZldLjf4

FNIS Sexy Move handles all of that for NPCs, it makes armroed NPCs be less sexy in their walk, old people and children not be sexy in their walk, gives a ton of walk and run animations (10 in all) that are randomly selected or that you can put on an NPC, it fixes the fact that Housecarls and Mjoll have male animations and gives them female instead, and lets you pick freely what animation to use.