Skyrim Modding Guide

Thanks

Ok thats what you meant by clean migration.. yes i would have done that anyway as that feature in MO  is unreliable(Gopher)

Run normally launched from steam does it not break anything ? As If i verify cache (what i maybe need to for repair) that breaks SKSE and i have to make a  cleanup  again in TES5Edit

Clean save: its a total vanilla save from  a game launched from steam?

Ok thats about movíng from NMM to MO thanks for that :heart:  

Do you have an opinion about reinstalling the Official Patch  and USKP' s

Thanks

If you use NMM if you run game through steam (it starts launcher) then yes your settings can be reset. It happened to me once (did run skse_loader without steam up ->steam booted up and started game via normal launcher) and from then i did set inis to read only.

With MO - mo keeps your inis so launching game normally is fine at any time.

This is however outside the point. You only need to start game normally once after installation so the inis get created - MO most probably need those files on first run. Thats why you need to run it once after removing/renaming old folders.

Clean "first" save - just without any mods. If you will use "live another life" then you probably don't need it as you can start new game at any time. However if you don't, then such clean save comes handy as mods break the vanilla start making it impossible to start new game that way. (don't remember details)

I got them in same order as plugin order from loot ( in MO installation order doesn't matter as you can change mod priority at any time). update -> USKP -> dawnguard-> unofficial dawnguard so on.

I belive most mods are concious of USKP patches and you only need to warry for old ones (like 2012)

<there was something here but i solved it >

If you use NMM if you run game through steam (it starts launcher) then yes your settings can be reset. It happened to me once (did run skse_loader without steam up ->steam booted up and started game via normal launcher) and from then i did set inis to read only.

With MO - mo keeps your inis so launching game normally is fine at any time.

This is however outside the point. You only need to start game normally once after installation so the inis get created - MO most probably need those files on first run. Thats why you need to run it once after removing/renaming old folders.

Clean "first" save - just without any mods. If you will use "live another life" then you probably don't need it as you can start new game at any time. However if you don't, then such clean save comes handy as mods break the vanilla start making it impossible to start new game that way. (don't remember details)

I got them in same order as plugin order from loot ( in MO installation order doesn't matter as you can change mod priority at any time). update -> USKP -> dawnguard-> unofficial dawnguard so on.

I belive most mods are concious of USKP patches and you only need to warry for old ones (like 2012)

<there was something here but i solved it >

Thank you for reply

I have been confused about the Patches i thought they where broken but that they are BSA's  makes that assumption  weak.

I have the patches in correct order but are experiencing bugs that should have been fixed long ago.ex Breezehome  with Lydia that cant find her bed (missing navmesh)  an many more

So if i cant compromise  the patches it must be other mods i have that overwrites but i dont see wich are the culprit

As far as i know/can remember  the Lydia thing have allways been there also before i started modding the game..... so im in a loss

Hiii !

Guys....I desperately need some help here....

Here's my story...

First, I had a skyrim 1.6.89 skyrim ....I installed many basic mods like AFT in that...but no SKSE at all..[ only used NMM throughout ]

Then, I installed skyrim 1.9 in the same drive ( E: )

At this point, i did not know anything about clean-saves , so I uninstalled all mods from Skyrim 1.7.....then,after a lot of clean-saving, i continued my most recent Skyrim 1.7 save game into skyrim 1.9.....

Now, with Skyrim 1.9, i installed SKSE and then,of course....Sexlab...

After a few months, I uninstalled Devious devices and ran the save game cleaner and updated  Sexlab

Then, I started using Mod Organizer [created about 5 SLab profiles..] ...everything was fine at this point...Not many issues...

Then, Frostfall started saying my scripting system was running too slow and suggested some changes to the Papyrus INI settings [ How i wish i had'nt made changes to the papyrus INI !]

Soon, I made a few changes to the INIs in each profile in Mod Organizer.....

Afer a few days, my CTDs started to increase ....it soon reached a point where it became really difficult to play...

So, I decided to Uninstall my game and start fresh...

I first Uninstalled the old Skyrim 1.7 and then my Skyrim 1.9.. and started a new game....Imagine my Horror when the NEW game was slow as Hell and after about 2 minutes , My Laptop Shut-Down on its own...without a warning ...

.I then used the SKSE memory patch and ENBoost [but no graphical modifications...] ....reset my INI settings to the absolute stable default ..Now, Its been a week,..Skyrim slows down after about 20 mins of gameplay... I have'nt been able to run Sex lab again properly..

Yesterday,....I even uninstalled MO completely [including my beloved profiles] and used Total Uninstaller to completely Uninstall skyrim...

After playing for about 20 mins, the game begins to slow down and at some point...sometimes its picking a lock...sometimes its when i enter skyrim from a mine [ i.e. When Skyrim is loading ]...the Laptop  screen goes black and it shuts down.....

I'm really worried sick if this damages my laptop....I just cannot afford that :(

At this point, my fondest wish is to be able to run Skyrim smoothly again with my beloved mods...I would be ever grateful to you guys if you could help me get there....

Could you please be kind enough to offer me some advice and guidance...I'm desperately in need of it .... :-/

a couple of questions unrelated to your skyrim install. 

1.  how much system memory on the laptop

2.  dedicated or shared memory for the video and if dedicated how much

3.  do you run a laptop cooler with your laptop? (about a 5-10 dollar purchase)

the 20 minutes of play and shut down on a laptop can happen for a couple of reasons, but one of them is system is getting too hot and shuts itself down.   Skyrim, being one of the more graphical intensive games you will run across when modded will heat the system up.    

If you have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times which it sounds like you have, make sure you follow this guide from the 1st page on.   Also go to the mod pages and check if they have system requirements, most laptops (unless you shelled out big bucks and/or its fairly new) will struggle with hard core modded skyrim games.

give us a little more system info, there are some really awesome and helpful people who contribute/follow this guide.

oh, and stick with MO (the older version 1.28 I think) it will help you stabilize your game greatly.

Hiii !

Here's my story...

First, I had a skyrim 1.6.89 skyrim ....I installed many basic mods like AFT in that...but no SKSE at all..[ only used NMM throughout ]

Then, I updated to skyrim 1.9 

At this point, i did not know anything about clean-saves , so I uninstalled all mods from Skyrim 1.7.....then,after a lot of clean-saving, i continued my most recent Skyrim 1.7 save game into skyrim 1.9.....

After a few months, I uninstalled Devious devices and ran the save game cleaner and updated  Sexlab

Then, I started using Mod Organizer [created about 5 SLab profiles..] ...everything was fine at this point...Not many issues...

Then, Frostfall started saying my scripting system was running too slow and suggested some changes to the Papyrus INI settings [ How i wish i had'nt made changes to the papyrus INI !]

Afer a few days, my CTDs started to increase ....it soon reached a point where it became really difficult to play...

I  re-installed my Skyrim 1.9.. and started a new game....Imagine my Horror when the NEW game was slow as Hell and after about 2 minutes , My Laptop Shut-Down on its own...without a warning ...

.I then used the SKSE memory patch and ENBoost [but no graphical modifications...] ....reset my INI settings to the absolute stable default ..Now, Its been a week,..Skyrim slows down after about 20 mins of gameplay... I have'nt been able to run Sex lab again properly..

Yesterday,....I even uninstalled MO completely [including my beloved profiles] and used Total Uninstaller to completely Uninstall skyrim...

After playing for about 20 mins, the game begins to slow down and at some point...sometimes its picking a lock...sometimes its when i enter skyrim from a mine [ i.e. When Skyrim is loading ]...the Laptop  screen goes black and it shuts down.....

I'm really worried sick if this damages my laptop....I just cannot afford that ! :s

At this point, my fondest wish is to be able to run Skyrim smoothly again with my beloved mods...I would be ever grateful to you guys if you could help me get there....

Could you please be kind enough to offer me some advice and guidance...I'm desperately in need of it .... :unsure:

Hiii !

Here's my story...

I  re-installed my Skyrim 1.9.. and started a new game....Imagine my Horror when the NEW game was slow as Hell and after about 2 minutes , My Laptop Shut-Down on its own...without a warning ...

I'm really worried sick if this damages my laptop....I just cannot afford that ! :s

Could you please be kind enough to offer me some advice and guidance...I'm desperately in need of it .... :unsure:

Looks like generic case of overheating.

Vanilla skyrim without mods and extensions that does not increase capabilities of the game draws less power - as example : vanilla skyrim for me runs 60fps (capped) @ 35% gpu load , while moded with ENB and stuff it is 40fps with 100% gpu load. More load = more power draw = more heat.

Drivers when components get too hot will cause throttle - forcefully reducing its performance in order to reduce heat. Direct result of that is game starts to run slower /stutter. If heat will continue to increase at certain temperature system will shutdown to prevent burning out compenents.

Now if you want to be sure it is not skyrim just run something intensive like benchmark in a loop for half hour - you should see shut down too.

To play safe i suggest geting some diagnostic tools - i use gpu-z and cpu-z. You can see load and temps with them. i belive shutdown is set 90-95 celsius,

Cause :

1- Dust , clean up the vents with vacum at least. compressed air is much more effective. It will help but to fully remove dust disassembly is required.
2- thermal grease might need replacing. You could suspsect it if temps get high but the air being blown is not.

3- Laptop limitation - some laptops get stronger components then its cooling capabilities allow, as result you can't run it at maximum power draw without cooling help from outside.

Hiii !

Here's my story...

Looks like generic case of overheating.

Vanilla skyrim without mods and extensions that does not increase capabilities of the game draws less power - as example : vanilla skyrim for me runs 60fps (capped) @ 35% gpu load , while moded with ENB and stuff it is 40fps with 100% gpu load. More load = more power draw = more heat.

Drivers when components get too hot will cause throttle - forcefully reducing its performance in order to reduce heat. Direct result of that is game starts to run slower /stutter. If heat will continue to increase at certain temperature system will shutdown to prevent burning out compenents.

Now if you want to be sure it is not skyrim just run something intensive like benchmark in a loop for half hour - you should see shut down too.

To play safe i suggest geting some diagnostic tools - i use gpu-z and cpu-z. You can see load and temps with them. i belive shutdown is set 90-95 celsius,

Cause :

1- Dust , clean up the vents with vacum at least. compressed air is much more effective. It will help but to fully remove dust disassembly is required.

2- thermal grease might need replacing. You could suspsect it if temps get high but the air being blown is not.

3- Laptop limitation - some laptops get stronger components then its cooling capabilities allow, as result you can't run it at maximum power draw without cooling help from outside.

Hiiii !

Thank you for the comprehensive reply.....I really appreciate it that you took the time to explain it in such detail ! ^_^

You were absolutely right ....I just ran Unreal Tournament 3  and not even 15 minutes have passed and...the system shut down.....

I'm a total noob  when it comes to all these things.....

Another Question....So far, My laptop has shut-Down some 20 times in total in the last 2 weeks...Would this have damaged it in any way ? :unsure:  [ Now that you have Enlightened me... I wont be running games for a long time :s  ]

Will the other functions [ Working on Maya, Zbrush...Watching Movies...etc] be affected...or will this be limited to running graphic-Heavy games ?

Would updating Nvidia drivers help in any way ?..

Another Question....So far, My laptop has shut-Down some 20 times in total in the last 2 weeks...Would this have damaged it in any way ? :unsure:  [ Now that you have Enlightened me... I wont be running games for a long time :s  ]

Will the other functions [ Working on Maya, Zbrush...Watching Movies...etc] be affected...or will this be limited to running graphic-Heavy games ?

It works so it is not damaged but heat is not good for microelectronics. So avoid further overheats and work on fixing it up.

It is not limtied to game, any application stressing the failing component can cause overheat -just games are good at it :] (constantly high power draw). Movies should be safe, 3d apps will depend on workload.

Drivers - its good to keep them up to date but unless your current ones are faulty (like fans not working at 100% when they need to) they won't help.

It works so it is not damaged but heat is not good for microelectronics. So avoid further overheats and work on fixing it up.

It is not limtied to game, any application stressing the failing component can cause overheat -just games are good at it :] (constantly high power draw). Movies should be safe, 3d apps will depend on workload.

Drivers - its good to keep them up to date but unless your current ones are faulty (like fans not working at 100% when they need to) they won't help.

Hiii !

I've been working on my Laptop as usual since sunday [ just haven't played any games :dodgy: ] ..and..its working smoothly.....so I guess..as you said...It seems to be  a problem with dust accumulation and therefore ..Overheating....

Thank you so much for pointing this out to me...I shudder to think about what would've happened if you hadn't pointed this problem out :wacko: ..

Hiii !

Here's my story...

Then, I installed skyrim 1.9 in the same drive ( E: )

I first Uninstalled the old Skyrim 1.7 and then my Skyrim 1.9.. and started a new game....Imagine my Horror when the NEW game was slow as Hell and after about 2 minutes , My Laptop Shut-Down on its own...without a warning ...

I'm really worried sick if this damages my laptop....I just cannot afford that :(

Could you please be kind enough to offer me some advice and guidance...I'm desperately in need of it .... :-/

a couple of questions unrelated to your skyrim install. 

1.  how much system memory on the laptop

2.  dedicated or shared memory for the video and if dedicated how much

3.  do you run a laptop cooler with your laptop? (about a 5-10 dollar purchase)

the 20 minutes of play and shut down on a laptop can happen for a couple of reasons, but one of them is system is getting too hot and shuts itself down.   Skyrim, being one of the more graphical intensive games you will run across when modded will heat the system up.    

If you have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times which it sounds like you have, make sure you follow this guide from the 1st page on.   Also go to the mod pages and check if they have system requirements, most laptops (unless you shelled out big bucks and/or its fairly new) will struggle with hard core modded skyrim games.

give us a little more system info, there are some really awesome and helpful people who contribute/follow this guide.

oh, and stick with MO (the older version 1.28 I think) it will help you stabilize your game greatly.

Hiii !

Sorry for replying so late .....

Thanks to trpd, the problem seems to be Overheating.....I need to get the dust cleaned from a servicing center ....

And the aditional info about my laptop...

My system specifications are :

CPU

Intel Core i3 2330M @ 2.20GHz    67 °C

Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Graphics

Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)

512MB NVIDIA GeForce 410M (Sony)    63 °C

NVIDIA GeForce 410M

Manufacturer    NVIDIA

Model    GeForce 410M

Device ID    10DE-1055

Revision    A2

Subvendor    Sony (104D)

Current Performance Level    Level 1

Current GPU Clock    270 MHz

Current Memory Clock    405 MHz

Current Shader Clock    540 MHz

Voltage    0.875 V

Bus Interface    PCI Express x16

Temperature    63 °C

Driver version    8.17.12.6721

BIOS Version    75.19.0c.00.03

Physical Memory    512 MB

Virtual Memory    256 MB

Count of performance levels : 2

Level 1 - "2D Desktop"

GPU Clock    270 MHz

Memory Clock    405 MHz

Shader Clock    540 MHz

Level 2 - "3D Applications"

GPU Clock    573 MHz

Memory Clock    800 MHz

Shader Clock    1147 MHz

These are my System specs...

And the Laptop Cooler .....I Don't use one ...can you please tell me more about this ?

What do you think about my system's Specs ? Is it advisable to play a modded Skyrim on it ?

Yes...I'll be sticking with MO for sure ....Very Convenient indeed :rolleyes: !

laptop coolers are very cheap and can save you a big headache while gaming.   Longer sessions should be possible as this should keep your laptop about 10 to 15 degrees cooler depending on how much money you want to spend.   here is an example

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997819

with the 512 dedicated video card memory, make sure to look at options that tend to lean towards performance vs high end.   Also try to stay with 1k textures where you can vs going for 2k or 4k.  

Compressed air cans are your friend, make sure your ventilation slots stay cleaned of dust, and with a cooler (get one that runs off a usb port vs another wall plug) you should be good to rock.   You can also pick these coolers up at stores like officemax, officedepot, I think even Walmart carries them.  I like newegg for the fast shipping and selection, but just get one that matches your taste and laptop size.   Oh last thing, make sure your using it on a tabletop or desk.   If you cant do that, use a dinnertray or some other flat surface, avoid any type of carpet, pillow, towel etc as it will restrict the airflow.

Let us know how this works,  I think you should be fine and can start playing the game you love (we all do).

About Migrating from NMM to MO .

I am in that proces but have USKP problems http://www.loverslab.com/topic/29971-sexlab-amorous-adventures-v1321-20150221/page-97?do=findComment&comment=1134022

When migrating dont i need to reinstall the patches anyway

The way im playing right now is having two managers and launching the game from MO. All new mods/upgrades i install in that time i dobbel install so a have maybe a third mirrored in MO from NMM sounds crazy but i can play

And sacremas you are right if had my mods in MO my problem would not be a problem the fact is that my game have been crippled from start without me noticing it before MO

Only with closer look on AI packages ( it never bothered me if Lydia slept or not , before now). Missing textures...an a lot of  other not game breaking small things

The mods you mention in the thread above  yes i have some sexy armor replacer yes i have Enhanced Lights but thats it

So what will your advice be (with the USKP problems i have) for me to make the full migration to MO and in the same time repair my game?

Migration to MO: Im about to reinstall  the game and as said above im running with two managers.

Question is:  Do i have to delete  my present MO and reinstall it?

No, presumably it's Nexus Mod Manager you're using, so do this; Open NMM, find the tool and select uninstall all mods, open Mod Organizer and likewise left click and select disable all mods. Now head into Steam/steamapps/common and delete the Skyrim folder, and reinstall it from disc or redownload it, make sure it's patched to the latest version. Try to avoid installing it under Program Files, as that can lead to instabilities.

Go to your Nexus installed directory, to SKyrim Mods, and cut out all of the mods there, and paste them somewhere you'll find them like "Games/Skyrim Mods" or something like that, this way you don't have to redownload them (except in case of updates, always keep all mods updated.

Now start Skyrim from the launcher, hit auto-detect on your settings, and then set Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering both to Off, then save, and leave. Fire up TES5Edit latest version and clean your mods, do this by first only loading Update.esm (no other mods), wait until it's loaded, the left click and select "Apply Filter for Cleaning", then select "Remove Identical to Master" and then "Undelete and Disable Refrences". Close and save once that's done, then start up TES5Edit and load individually each of the offiical DLCs you ahve and clean them the same way.

Now install SKSE, and put the SKSE.ini file in the correct directory.

Open Mod Organizer, as your first mods install Unofficial Skyrim Patch and the patches for the official DLC's you have, make sure to load them correctly (Update, then Unoffiical Skyrim patch, then Dawnguard, then Unofficial Dawnguard patch, etc, do it any other way and it will cause errors). Now install Live Another Life, and start up the game from Mod Organizer, you'll be using MO to start your game forever from now on, so feel free to delete any desktop shortcuts to either SKSE or SKyrim. Get in game and make sure everything is working and you're not crashing.

Now install RealVision like I describe in the third post of this guide, if you don't like it feel free to change to another ENB later, but it's better to have an ENB than not. Try out Performance version to begin with. Also in the process download EWI's ini's from RealVision's site and copy/paste them into Mod Organizer's Inis (click the "puzzle" icon to open Ini editor), choose ugrids 5 to be sure. Now start up the game and load your Live another Life auto save, and select to start as a patron of a local inn (Sleeping Giant Inn) then run around in riverwood and see what your framerate is. Now start installing texture mods until things look okay, if you have a really great FPS (hit Numpad * to bring up FPS counter) then consider installing Tamriel Reloaded so you can cover as much of your textures with a single mod for performance. Delete the high definition Bethesda packs if you do this.

Now finally once you have the graphics looking like you should and you're in the game able to run everything smoothly, start installing the mods you've used before (Sexlab Framework, Sex Slaves, Amorous adventures, Underground Bathouse, etc). Instlal only 5 or so mods at a time, then go in game and run around and see if your game has become unstable. Refer to my guide on how to run FNIS off Mod Organizer and similar, DO NOT run FNIS from the Skyrim/data/tools directory ever! You should in fact never enter your SKyrim directory again.

I've never seen that, ignore it probably for now.

ALready mentioned the high res packs in the previous post, please read it. If you want to use the high res mod then download the optimized version and unofficial patch and use them, but what I recommend is deleting those packs entirely as they are just not good at all (they don't look good, and they take too much out of your computer compared to what they do) and using an overall replacer like Tamriel Reloaded or Vivid Landscapes instead.

ONLY run FNIS, Tes5Edit, Wrye Bash, Autmatic Variants and so on from Mod Organizer alone, don't run throse programs from anywhere else or it will mess up your install.

FNIS as shown in video... yes......

Just installed realvision (as instructed) Ugrid 5, i think my Janitor is going for a walk

Think of MO as tool that prepares data folder for any program that runs through it. So tools that manipulate data contents need to be run through MO. However say Bodyslide doesn't , you wont get textures but thats all.

As for textures - i think it is good to get hi rest optimized textures - i unpacked them and run as simple replaced through MO (unsubscribed in steam). Texture overhauls don't cover everything and then you need to run around pick up lose mods like hd chairs or bottles to get better textures on everything. I alse see no performance impact from them.

BTW. WIth parallax do you also get light fliker (getting darker/brighter) as you move camera on some textures?(  Very noticable on roof of temple of kynareth in whiterun.

Could be a case that you have two textures instaled for the roof and the game can't decide which one to show you, as you move it tries to reload your FOV and picks between the two textures. Could be something really subtle, like one parallax the other not, one slightly higher quality, you'd see the flicker still.

I've made a few mods of my own, mostly mergers and compilations of other mods, let me know in a PM if you want any of these;

Bijin Enhancements; this merges Bijin Warmaidens, Bijin Wives, Toccata as Elisif and Seranaholic into 2 files, all of them have full USKP changes as well as ERSO changes and uses the UNPB body (HDT TBBP for belly, butt and breasts) with an HDT vagina, muscle maps for many of the girls, and gives Serana the full Queen of the Damned overhaul making her way more useful.

ERSO Merged; This merges 20+ ERSO files together and completely revamps your game, including populated ruins and overall a harder game, huge mammoths and giants, a few changed skills, and overhauls for all of the NPCs in game. If you're using a skill overhaul like SPERG load this before that so your Skill/Perk overhaul wins.

Mighty Enhanced Dragons; This merges 10+ files into one, these are great textured dragons set up to be very powerful, it requires Deadly Dragons as well which you should have anyway, and compatible with mods like Ultimate Dragons and Dragon Combat Overhaul (just one of these at a time, these two are not compatible!). Don't ask for this unless you want a serious challenge on the dragon front, this will probably be a greater challenge than even Elemental Dragons (which by the way is horribly bugged and likely to cause crashes, I wouldn't recommend using that).

Open Cities Merged; this merges Open Cities, JK*s Skyrim and the compatibility patches for Cutting Room Floor, Falskaar, Interesting NPCs, Immersive College of Winterhold and Moon and Star into one file. This is a version of Open Cities that will actually work with all quests that these patches include, and has all of the JK's changes. You actually won't see much more of an FPS drop with this than you did with JK's alone. Note that this needs A NEW GAME to use, do NOT put this into an existing game!

Send me a PM if you want any of these and I'll provide a MEGA link for download.