Dying Light.

The only time I've ever walked in Skyrim was when I didn't have enough gold to buy a horse or the horse couldn't make it through the area. >_<

The content of the game is still found walking. Mods aside, you can't use magic on the horse, you can't loot on the horse, you can't enter dungeons in a horse ... I think in that aspect free running kind of action games are a bit more fun since your method of transportation is also your main tool when you're fighting. Like free running and combat are closely attached in DL, most of the super attacks are done when the enemy is stunned, and you can stun him by doing free running stunts, or 4 or the 6 main "special attacks" are also made when jumping from some high place and dropping on the enemy. It's dynamic, and there are literally hundreds of way to kill a single zombie, for a zombie aficionado it's like heaven. I can understand why this seems boring for people not that much into the genre though, but again it is a zombie game, so you know what you're getting if you're buying it. 

... you can't enter dungeons in a horse ...

Thanks for the giggle.

(Mental image of an adventurer entering the dungeon naked while fucking a lvl 7 carthorse and all the orcs going: "No way. If that thing is letting him do that, I ain't fighting him. He can have the damn treasure chest. Ugly thing anyway, right? C'mon. Let's go get pissed." Even if they're lvl 20 orcs, you've got to look at someone doing that and think he's either crazy or actually lvl 35 and wearing an illusion of lvl 12 ... or both, and you don't want to mess with anyone who's both.)

While typing that I realise it could also have been interpreted as Trojan Horse entry method, but I think the bestiality one's funnier.

2nd day into the game now, first impressions:

I always wanted climbable environments in DI, so the parkour is a welcome addition. Zombies not dying instantly after losing a leg makes for a far more 'realistic' experience. Repairing weapons on the go? I'll take it. I don't much care for the night sequences, how rabies can turn zombies into those things makes no sense, but it adds a great deal of urgency apart from the usual running around.

However, I hate that the weapon/equipment selection is in real-time; I can't memorize what I have in each slot as it gets used up and replaced. The living enemies are frustrating to fight, moving like ninjas and deflecting my thrown weapons. Having no fast travel goes in hand with the whole survive the night theme, but crossing the map to each objective is getting old fast...

I've been a zombie fan since the original Resident Evil introduced me to them, long before the current zombie-craze we're in now. So for me, this is an enjoyable game despite it essentially being DI rebranded. It's just going to take some getting used to not having fast-travel.

2nd day into the game now, first impressions:

I always wanted climbable environments in DI, so the parkour is a welcome addition. Zombies not dying instantly after losing a leg makes for a far more 'realistic' experience. Repairing weapons on the go? I'll take it. I don't much care for the night sequences, how rabies can turn zombies into those things makes no sense, but it adds a great deal of urgency apart from the usual running around.

However, I hate that the weapon/equipment selection is in real-time; I can't memorize what I have in each slot as it gets used up and replaced. The living enemies are frustrating to fight, moving like ninjas and deflecting my thrown weapons. Having no fast travel goes in hand with the whole survive the night theme, but crossing the map to each objective is getting old fast...

I've been a zombie fan since the original Resident Evil introduced me to them, long before the current zombie-craze we're in now. So for me, this is an enjoyable game despite it essentially being DI rebranded. It's just going to take some getting used to not having fast-travel.

Wait till you get to the second area ... This game is unfinishable ! I'm starting to get pissed at the lack of fast travel too. Still having a blast though. 

Played it a few hours and I have to say I like it. Yeah, the combat is clunky, but that's what makes it good, imo. You feel the weight after each swing, especially if it connects to a zombie's body. Some weapons smash right through the head, but if you hit the torso, your swing gets blocked. And since they're zombies, they don't care much if you cut off an arm or beat their shoulder to a pulp. Human enemies are annoying though, but if you throw a heavy rebar at them (the thing that's carried by the big zombies) they'll die in one hit. It seems they can't deflect thrown melee weapons either, so that's one that goes down immediately.

Zombies aren't that dangerous, though. There's almost no chance you actually get surrounded because there's always something to climb nearby, but you can't just plow through them, either. So if there are 10 zombies gathered around a police van you want to loot, you need to kill them, and you need to do it smart otherwise you will burn through your supplies real fast. It's still an arcade game, but one that at least tries to simulate that zombies are something that would be quite dangerous if one would encounter them. Most Zombie games fail to do that. One big gripe I have with Dying Light though is the fact that you respawn at the nearest safe zone after being killed which can be quite immersion breaking.

Played it a few hours and I have to say I like it. Yeah, the combat is clunky, but that's what makes it good, imo. You feel the weight after each swing, especially if it connects to a zombie's body. Some weapons smash right through the head, but if you hit the torso, your swing gets blocked. And since they're zombies, they don't care much if you cut off an arm or beat their shoulder to a pulp. Human enemies are annoying though, but if you throw a heavy rebar at them (the thing that's carried by the big zombies) they'll die in one hit. It seems they can't deflect thrown melee weapons either, so that's one that goes down immediately.

Zombies aren't that dangerous, though. There's almost no chance you actually get surrounded because there's always something to climb nearby, but you can't just plow through them, either. So if there are 10 zombies gathered around a police van you want to loot, you need to kill them, and you need to do it smart otherwise you will burn through your supplies real fast. It's still an arcade game, but one that at least tries to simulate that zombies are something that would be quite dangerous if one would encounter them. Most Zombie games fail to do that. One big gripe I have with Dying Light though is the fact that you respawn at the nearest safe zone after being killed which can be quite immersion breaking.

Yeah the difficulty is something I have a problem with. It's way too easy. But wait till you get to your first night out though, it gets pretty interesting. But then again, after some levels it's reaaaally easy, plus your weapons get mad powerful after a while so one shooting zombies is a piece of cake. Also waaaaaay too much ammo lying around, I could only play with guns if I wanted to, kind of breaks the whole survival atmosphere. The human enemies can in fact deflect thrown weapons when you go further in the story, in fact all enemies start to get smarter and such. The human enemies get super annoying once they learn ninja moves, they avoid most of your normal attacks so you have to power attack them to make some damage. Also they hit super hard. Nothing terribly overpowered though. 

I wish they'd made an hardcore mode or something, like limited medikit storage, harder to find metallic parts, resistant zombies and extremely rare ammo ... But they gotta please console casuals I guess. On the difficulty again, it's based on a system that evolves according to your survivor level and where you're at in the story line. At some point you start to get real annoying zombies, and again they're not super difficult, just annoying as fuck. Like Bombers. Fuck Bombers.

About the respawn, I get what you mean but I don't see how they could've done it any different. The story is way too long to just make you restart it all over again, it'd just be a chore. I'd like something in the order of that Skyrim Death Alternative mod, where once you die you're captured by bandits or something, your weapons get stolen, you get beaten up and you're left outside in the middle of the night. That'd have been cool, maybe they'll enhance this in DI2 or DL2. There is a real drawback to dying though, it's not just die and repeat, you've really gotta survive as dying chops off huge chunks of your Survivor xp bar, sometimes even as far as half of it, which slows down your leveling up greatly. Still not "survival" enough though.  

I'll tell you one situation where there was no getting around the zombies:

Bridge of infamy, service entrance...after a rough climb from the supports to the door leading outside...there was about 30 of them all gunning for me once they saw my flashlight. I sat on that catwalk and tossed them to their deaths. Now THAT was fun. Still though, always a few biters that get through before you can execute the grapple command.

Already did some night missions, and the night is scary. Those volatiles are really nasty, plus you can't see shit without your flashlight, which is something I really like. Most games don't have dark nights, so that's a plus. But yeah, there are some pretty easy things you can exploit, like stand on a van, crouching and slashing away at the crowd standing at the van. They can't hit you, but you can hit them. Even easier once you unlock the head stomp perk because you can just pop their heads with a kick if you are standing above them. Flammable Liquid + Molotov is also a very easy and efficient way to farm XP, especially at night. Just stand close to a safe zone in case the nasties show up. I already thought the game would end up way too easy considering all the perks you can unlock, was the same with Shadow of Mordor. The first hours were amazing, but once you were powerful enough, things got old pretty fast. But at least they tried with Dying Light - bought my first 200+ dmg pick axe and I still can't just stand in the middle of the street plowing through zombies. You'll get surrounded and the bites do quite a lot of damage. Not enough that you can't run away and climb unto something, but the simple fact that you can't slaughter everything like you can in Dead Rising is a plus for me.

You should take a look at Project Zomboid, though. Best zombie survival game I've ever played. One bite is enough to kill you, sometimes even a scratch is enough to get you infected. And no, there's no cure. Once infected, you die.

Project Zomboid looks fun, kind of Sims zombie version ? I don't think I'd play it for a long time though, view from above tends to piss me off after some time ... Dying Light really made me come back to my zombie fanatic roots though, I'm buying Day Z standalone right now because of it, good bye my degree ! 

I'm trying out this new in development game, Life is Feudal, a medieval simulation so I've got enough of half finished stuff ahaha. It's nice and all but it gets kind of frustrating to wait for updates, I prefer when everything is already done and polished. I'll check out PZ once it's finished !

Something I look forward to in DL (have not played it yet)

Grapple.gif

They really simplified the grappling hook, in game it goes unrealistically in a straight lane without the cool physics you see in that gif. Instead it looks more like some spider man kind of movement, like you can fly to anything you point the hook at, even horizontally or when aiming down ... You can hook the ground from the rooftop, then get dragged at mach 3 speed towards the ground without getting hurt ! Babyfying mechanics, I hate that (hook is still damn useful since there is no fast travel tho)

Well, played some more hours in the second zone and I have to say it now feels like a different game. Zombies are just inconvenient most of the time, they aren't really dangerous anymore, thanks to the camouflage perk. The second zone looks much better than the first zone, but the gameplay took a turn for the worse, imo. Free running isn't as intuitive as it was in the slums and the main story missions are stretched so bad you might as well fall asleep. A dark building filled with zombies is fun the first times, but later on it's just annoying. Kill one, rub his guts all over you and then you can go on for a minute or so without the zombies bothering you. Rinse and repeat until you reach the exit. Meh. Worst mission so far was basically just room after room filled with bandits. Pew Pew, cover, Pew Pew. I don't know what developers think sometimes. I mean they wanted to make a zombie game with some survival elements, why make sections of gameplay where you have to do what you do in every FPS ever?

Right now, I have no motivation whatsoever to do anymore side missions, challenges or quarantine zones.

Well, played some more hours in the second zone and I have to say it now feels like a different game. Zombies are just inconvenient most of the time, they aren't really dangerous anymore, thanks to the camouflage perk. The second zone looks much better than the first zone, but the gameplay took a turn for the worse, imo. Free running isn't as intuitive as it was in the slums and the main story missions are stretched so bad you might as well fall asleep. A dark building filled with zombies is fun the first times, but later on it's just annoying. Kill one, rub his guts all over you and then you can go on for a minute or so without the zombies bothering you. Rinse and repeat until you reach the exit. Meh. Worst mission so far was basically just room after room filled with bandits. Pew Pew, cover, Pew Pew. I don't know what developers think sometimes. I mean they wanted to make a zombie game with some survival elements, why make sections of gameplay where you have to do what you do in every FPS ever?

Right now, I have no motivation whatsoever to do anymore side missions, challenges or quarantine zones.

I made the game more difficult on myself by not taking the perk and throwing every gun I get on the ground. But I get what you mean about the free running in Old Town, going up and down all the time is annoying (that's why I threw out the grappling hook too, I always have to run and stop to find places to jump safely, it's a bit more entertaining this way).

Almost finished the story and I gotta say that was first tier story telling, impressive considering it belongs to the zombie genre. Even Rais gets a little more depth than your average game villain once you read some notes and voice messages about him. Plus he's really crazy so that's always a plus. I'm just shitting around with friends now trying to create the most overpowered weapon ever made before going on the last mission. We're aiming at something like 3000 damage on a one handed medieval sword hahaha ! Apparently once you get over 2500, each attack cuts everything on the zombies bodies, like legs arms head and cuts the torso in two or something. Should be fun to watch. 

Dying Light is much more detailed, though. Happens often when a zombie charges at you that you cut off both his hands and the head in one swing. With heavy weapons like two handed axes later on you cut through the body and both arms like butter. The first few hours are much better though imo, because you literally use all your stamina to beat a single zombie to death with a rusty pipe. In a way that's much more brutal and disgusting than the over the top gore you see later in the game.

... brutal and disgusting than the over the top gore you see later in the game.

Ahaha, on that note, I found the EXPcalibur sword, it's an easter egg in the Slums, one power attack with it and you send bits of zombie flying everyfuckingwhere, sometimes as far as 200 meters in the air with an impressive trail of blood. Also, have you tried letting yourself be invaded by a zombie player ? Once you do that and you defeat that guy in PVP, you get an ingredient for a fucking op potion, like basically a god mode for 1 minute. I brought my trusty machete and killed every single zombie on that bridge, at night, gained 3 levels that way in the Power skill tree, and there was so much loot my you couldn't see the road. Mods are going to make this stuff awesome, apparently making missions is super easy with the modding tool set and adding weapons/outfits/boosters is as simple as back in Oblivion. That's what I'm hearing, could be wrong. 

• 2 months later...

It seems that the dev tools were officially released today, so what can we expect from LL in that regard? ^^

Depends if any of the modders are still playing it.

I might play around with the weapons some. I find it pathetic that melee weapons have more power then a freaking firearm and I might try to work out some kind of silencer mod.