MO, ENB, Windows8.1 (?), Error 0xc000007b problems

icladel

Hello,

Now I know there are already topics on MO + ENB, I have read through several forums, tried so-called 100% fixes...etc. BUT to no avail. So before you post "OMG noob, go search forums before posting new topic!!!!!!", please give this a read.

I recently got a new laptop, it was on sale. Here are the specs:

Windows 8.1 - 64bit

8GB RAM

AMD A10-5750M (4 CPU)

DirectX 11.2

AMD Radeon HD 8650G + HD 8750M (Dual graphics)

6219 VRAM

All the latest Windows updates, graphics drivers. Not the best but a huge upgrade from my previous machine.

Genuine Steam copy of Skyrim.

Full admin rights (took a while to set up but it works)

My game runs fine without ENB. I use MO to handle all data. Skyrim root folder is "clean", everything works 100%, no CTD...etc. So with this new PC upgrade, I thought it was time to play Skyrim WITH ENB. After installing all my mods, I installed Bleak ENB (my personal favourite). Correct SkyrimPrefs.ini setup (suited for Bleak ENB).

Now onto running things, here are the scenarios: 

-------------------Scenario 1---------------------

Ran SKSE through MO with d3d9.dll present in Skyrim root.

-MO Locked upon running TESV.exe

-Black CMD window flashes for 3 seconds

-Black CMD window closes

-Nothing happens. Game does not start

Attempt to run Skyrim Launcher through MO

-MO closes as Skyrim Launcher opens

-Skyrim Launcher crashes, no error message it simply says stopped working.

At this point, I thought MO was he culprit so I attempted to run the game without MO

-------------------Scenario 2---------------------

Ran SKSE_loader from skyrim root folder (SKSE scripts temporarily placed in DATA) with d3d9.dll present in Skyrim root.

-Error message: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)

Ran Skyrim Launcher from root folder with d3d9.dll

-Launcher crashed as soon as it opened.

Turns out MO may not be the culprit but rather d3d9.dll is unable to start up.

-------------------Scenario 3---------------------

Removed d3d9.dll from root folder

-Game ran successfully through MO

-Game ran successfully through SKSE_loader from root

I searched far and wide all over the internet. Many solutions were tried but none worked.

Reinstalled the game.

Ran windows system file scan+repair. No problems found.

Reinstalled C++ files.

Reinstalled .NET framework 4.5.

Disabled all background processes that might interfere with ENB files (AMD Catalyst/AMD Gaming evolved helpers) which was recommended by ENB Boris on ENBforums .

"Fix package" aio210 (claimed to work 100%) failed.

"Fix package" 0xc000007b ERROR ComboTech failed (replaces certain Windows-on-Windows System files such as D3DX9_43.dll).

In summary: Skyrim from root or MO works 100%

Skyrim+ENB fails from both root and MO

I genuinely have tried to solve this myself but it is just not working. Can anyone help me on this?

Cheers

Does that to me when I run skyrim with enboost/sweetfx/gemfx in windowed mode. O.o I have to run it in full screen or it completely craps out on me. (windows 7)

(Didn't see anywhere where you said you ran windowed or not)

I run it in full screen. ie 'Windowed mode' box is not ticked.

EDIT: Checked this and it is not the issue

You're missing something then (maybe). When I was testing Sweetfx/enb's for the first time (And a couple of reinstalls after that first time) I had something missing. If you can't get them to work you're missing a dll file.

Which enb preset are you attempting to use? 

In your skyrim folder you should at least have: (enb binaries have to match the enb you're trying to use: Enb presets aren't allowed to include the binaries as per Boris (the creator of enb)) (just trying to cover all bases even obvious ones)

d3d9.dll

d3d9.fx

dxgi.dll

dxgi.fx

enbhost.exe

enblocal.ini

enbseries.ini

injector.ini

(and all the files that came with the enb preset you're using, I'm sure I'm missing something but if you have at least that and the files that came with the preset you should be ok)

wait... are you doing the wrapper package or the injector. There's different things you have to do with the injector and it's easier and less painful if you just use the wrapper package.

There's conflicting, old information about using the injector package with laptops because of how they work and the possibility that the wrapper version can cause the game to not detect your graphics cards and the fact that you're using dual graphics might mean that could be an issue. (I know jackcrap about laptops but I just googled 'do you use wrapper or injector for enb' and it popped up a whole bunch of useless info about laptops and their gpu)

However this guy here says that if you're using skse and steam you want the wrapper regardless. And some enb presets are designed to work with the wrapper version only.

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/1ycxi8/guide_getting_enb_to_work_together_with_sweetfx/

That guide is how I ultimately got the enb and sweetfx working together and it's helped people before trouble shoot stuff. Have you seen it and if not, do you think it'll help?

You're missing something then (maybe). When I was testing Sweetfx/enb's for the first time (And a couple of reinstalls after that first time) I had something missing. If you can't get them to work you're missing a dll file.

Which enb preset are you attempting to use? 

In your skyrim folder you should at least have: (enb binaries have to match the enb you're trying to use: Enb presets aren't allowed to include the binaries as per Boris (the creator of enb)) (just trying to cover all bases even obvious ones)

d3d9.dll

d3d9.fx

dxgi.dll

dxgi.fx

enbhost.exe

enblocal.ini

enbseries.ini

injector.ini

(and all the files that came with the enb preset you're using, I'm sure I'm missing something but if you have at least that and the files that came with the preset you should be ok)

wait... are you doing the wrapper package or the injector. There's different things you have to do with the injector and it's easier and less painful if you just use the wrapper package.

There's conflicting, old information about using the injector package with laptops because of how they work and the possibility that the wrapper version can cause the game to not detect your graphics cards and the fact that you're using dual graphics might mean that could be an issue. (I know jackcrap about laptops but I just googled 'do you use wrapper or injector for enb' and it popped up a whole bunch of useless info about laptops and their gpu)

However this guy here says that if you're using skse and steam you want the wrapper regardless. And some enb presets are designed to work with the wrapper version only.

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/1ycxi8/guide_getting_enb_to_work_together_with_sweetfx/

That guide is how I ultimately got the enb and sweetfx working together and it's helped people before trouble shoot stuff. Have you seen it and if not, do you think it'll help?

Thanks for the input. 

I attempted to use Bleak ENB. All preset files and ENB265 (boris - d3d9.dll+ENBHost). The newer Bleak ENB versions packaged all he .fx and .tga files in a 'enbseries' folder.

Same issue popped up when I tried 'I cant believe is not an ENB' sweetfx mod. I am 100% sure that no files are missing as I have used ENB's in he past (screenshots only). 

I used the wrapper version but also tried the injector. Regardless of whether I have an ENB, SFX; wrapper or injector, as long as d3d9.dll is in my Skyrim root folder, I will get 0xc000007b error.

FXAA Post Process Injector on the nexus doesnt work either because....d3d9.dll.

Just completely out of ideas as to why this is happening.. Though I'm considering what you mentioned about Dual graphics and wrappers not detecting the cards.. First time I have bought duals. 

You know what? Are you installing the 32bit version of those redistributable packages as well? I'm on a 64 version as well, but it still needs those x86 files too.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/43092-63-application-unable-start-correctly-0xc000007b

I've checked that. These C++ packs are meant to work side by side and I have a about 15 of them ranging from 2005 to 2013 in x64 and x86.

Edit: but thanks for that link. I will try to safe mode/replace files method.

Cheers

I have had this exact same issue with a setup that previously worked, after installing the DLCs and updating the necessary mods ENB (seasons of skyrim) caused CTD on startup for me, and a reinstall of Skyrim and reinstall of ENB fixed it. However, I recently updated to MO 1.2.17 and this stopped all mods from loading in game, which subsequently caused CTD on load of some saves. A downgrade fixed this, but now ENB prevents Skyrim launching past CMD. I couldn't find a fix after trawling through about 10 forums, so I uninstalled it and just have ENBoost now, which doesn't use the problem file. As far as I know, it's the only solution unless ENB is updated and stops using the d3d9.dll file sorry :(

I have had this exact same issue with a setup that previously worked, after installing the DLCs and updating the necessary mods ENB (seasons of skyrim) caused CTD on startup for me, and a reinstall of Skyrim and reinstall of ENB fixed it. However, I recently updated to MO 1.2.17 and this stopped all mods from loading in game, which subsequently caused CTD on load of some saves. A downgrade fixed this, but now ENB prevents Skyrim launching past CMD. I couldn't find a fix after trawling through about 10 forums, so I uninstalled it and just have ENBoost now, which doesn't use the problem file. As far as I know, it's the only solution unless ENB is updated and stops using the d3d9.dll file sorry :(

Ok cheers mate. Good to know. In that case I'll have to can settle for ENB-less and use nice texture mods. Might even give AMD external graphics a try.

Did you start skyrim up first time without any mod manager and SKSE this is needed always first time start skyrim with normal launcher in your skyrim map then you can start sjyrim with SKSE.

also check if SKSE working in console?

Type getskseversion

Use latest SKSE version btw many mods dont work anymore with older ones

Hope you solve it.

Yup, Evasia is right. If you don't at least start it with Skyrim's vanilla launcher at least once you'll have issues. The first time I tried ENB or SweetFX .dll installation I couldn't start up either, but forget what I did to get past that. :lol:

Even after launching Skyrim with/without SKSE/mod managers on my fresh Windows 8.1 install a few months ago, I couldn't get ENB working without installing the DirectX libraries linked above. ENB or SFX were using a DX DLL that wasn't installed by another game yet.

Thanks.

I did run the steam skyrim launcher at first. SKSE is updated to latest version, all my mods (SKSE dependent) work 100%.

@cell I have about 5 copies of that exact directx setup file lol. Tried a lot of times up to the point where it refuses to install since I have the latest version

AMD Radeon HD 8650G + HD 8750M (Dual graphics)

Stop there. 

Ok, what version of Catalyst you're running there? However, because laptops tend to use drivers differently, try to check with the maker's site for any updates and if there's none, refer to http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Also, I think you should use only one GPU by turning off the other. Yeah, and update MO to the latest.

Archived