Getting save bloat leading to unloadable saves

Guest Vendayn

Guest Vendayn

So, I had Apropos, Radiant Prostitution, Open Cities and Psikotic's Necromancy mod. Apropos (or RP or both) caused save corruption from my research so I removed those. Open Cities never seemed to cause issues with me, but it slowed my FPS down to 30-35 and it isn't really compatible. So I removed that too. And Psikotic is the best Conjuration perk mod, but abandoned and I heard it had tons of issues. I didn't hear anything about Psikotic causing save bloat, but it does have a lot of bugs supposedly. I removed it in case...which sucks as there isn't another mod like that one. It adds tons of necromancy perks/features.

Before I removed those mods, my save file automatically starts at 13mb on a new save. Slowly goes to 14 by level 10. Its very stable at this point. However, after playing 4-5 hours in-game (I can be anywhere and do anything) suddenly my save file jumps from 14mb to 15mb and my save breaks at that point. Not even papyrus save cleaner or savetool cleaner can open the save. Papyrus save cleaner crashes when attempting to load the 15mb save and so does savetool. I am also unable to load into it at this point. But it was 14mb, next thing I know, I'm just sitting in an interior (or anywhere else) and it jumps to 15 and breaks the game.

Can Tundra Defense be causing issues? That mod is old and not up to date. Would using RTS be better? There isn't really any other alternative. But I notice when I'm near my tundra outpost, my save does jump in size. But it might be a coincidence.

Now my load order, I used BOSS (because using LOOT causes my skyrim to break and unable to load into game at all. And when I used loot and did go into game, my FPS dropped from 40-50 to 20-30...the non-beta LOOT made a weird load order (saying every mod I have needed cleaning, even if it didn't need any or I already did it and said my mods were stolen? (even though they aren't) and the whole program was broken) and the new beta LOOT just caused tons of issues in my game). Anyway, I used BOSS and manually sorted my mod list. And no, I'm not going to use LOOT...

I get 40-50 FPS on average without open cities installed (otherwise even not near a city, its 30-40)

The populated mods are the newest ones found on official site for them (not nexus), they don't contain any scripts supposedly. SCO winter landscape is supposed to be loaded above dawnguard I guess according to the mod author. And that is where both BOSS and LOOT put it...guess its in the right place.

Any mod in the list a bad mod to use? Or is my load order wrong? Lady body definitely needs to be low or the body is bugged. And clean invisibility eyes needs to be on the bottom, or I get a double eye glitch. Crystallyn is my custom race and I wanted it on the bottom to avoid any conflicts. When I loaded it on top, HDT stopped working on the race and had some weird body issues (like lady body gets if its loaded near the top). Skyrim Unbound I put lower, to avoid any conflicts that might break the mod and the author said put it lower anyway.

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
SCO Winter Landscape Decoloration.esp=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
Falskaar.esm=1
Wyrmstooth.esp=1
Shadow of Morrowind.esm=1
ApachiiHair.esm=1
ApachiiHairFemales.esm=1
RaceCompatibility.esm=1
moonpath.esm=1
SharedSeranaDialogue.esm=1
SexLab.esm=1
SexLabAroused.esm=1
SkyMoMod.esm=1
SPERG.esm=1
ZaZAnimationPack.esm=1
Fantasy Soundtrack Project.esp=1
Demonica.esm=1
daymoyl.esm=1
Nock2Tip.esm=1
RE_RealEstate_Core.esp=1
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp=1
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp=1
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp=1
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp=1
Aetherius.esp=1
AOS.esp=1
I5K Treasure Hunt.esp=1
LoversComfort.esp=1
Moss Rocks.esp=1
Populated Dungeons Caves Ruins.esp=1
Populated Forts Towers Places.esp=1
Populated Lands Roads Paths.esp=1
Populated Skyrim Civil War.esp=1
Populated Skyrim Prisons Cells.esp=1
PuppetMaster.esp=1
RE_RealEstate.esp=1
Real Wildlife Skyrim 0.1.esp=1
SexLab Attraction.esm=1
SexLab TDF Aggressive Prostitution.esp=1
SexLabMatchMaker.esp=1
SexLabSquirt.esp=1
Sexlab Release.esp=1
hydra_slavegirls.esp=1
Sexlab_Vampire.esp=1
NusbieVoices.esp=1
Skymo-Dawn.esp=0
SkyrimsUniqueTreasures.esp=1
SkyTweak.esp=1
SkyAI.esp=1
SkyUI.esp=1
iHUD.esp=1
Ars Magika.esp=1
AsharaPrinceOfTheWoods.esp=1
BAMM.esp=1
Dread Knight Weapon Set.esp=1
DungeonExplorer.esp=1
Fancy Dress.esp=1
Lady Rappelz.esp=1
LB BES Frostbite.esp=1
LB Blood Mage.esp=1
LB Dark Lady.esp=1
LB Dragon Princess.esp=1
LB Dwemer Fury Heavy Set.esp=1
LB GoldLeopardRobe.esp=1
LB Jarl Clothes.esp=1
LB Lady Keaira.esp=1
LB Lady Sexy.esp=1
LB Lady Revenant.esp=1
LB Lady Ritual.esp=1
LB Lady Arcana.esp=1
LB Lady Alina.esp=1
LB Lady Queen.esp=1
LB Lady Chaos.esp=1
LB Lady Huntress.esp=1
LB Lady MoragTong.esp=1
LB Lustmord Vampire.esp=1
LB Lydia Armor.esp=1
LB Mandu Armor.esp=1
LB Medusa Armor.esp=1
LB Necromance Robe.esp=1
LB Pantie & Boots.esp=1
LB RobeExperiencedMagician.esp=1
LB Underworld.esp=1
LB Valkyrie.esp=1
LH Jewel Collection.esp=1
DragonPlateBrazen.esp=1
Merta Assassin Armor.esp=1
LB BES Justice.esp=1
DEM BES Catsuit.esp=1
DEM Blood Mage.esp=1
DEM Mavari.esp=1
DEM War Lydia.esp=1
DEM Clothes.esp=1
BlackLaceMiniDress.esp=1
RavenousEleganceByNausicaa.esp=1
DEM VampLord.esp=1
LustmordVampireArmor.esp=1
NeoInpouArmour.esp=1
Strap.esp=1
LBSA.esp=0
The Gemstone Collector.esp=1
Requiem.esp=1
Aethernautics.esp=1
BlackLand.esp=1
arnima.esp=1
buildablehouse.esp=1
Corpse_Preparation.esp=1
DF127MillwaterRetreatHF.esp=1
Druidessentials.esp=1
Hunterborn.esp=1
Hunterborn_Requiem-Patch.esp=1
Hunting in Skyrim.esp=1
Inconsequential NPCs.esp=1
RosaFollower.esp=1
Jehanna.esp=1
meadery.esp=1
moonpath_questdata.esp=1
Nyhus.esp=1
Skyrim Tycoon - Reloaded.esp=1
Skyrim Tycoon - Reloaded - StandAlone Option - Less Gold In Dragonborn.esp=0
the cathedral.esp=1
Tundra Defense.esp=1
Undeath.esp=1
w2salem.esp=1
LPBards.esp=1
Wrath Of Nature.esp=1
Champion of Kynareth.esp=1
WheelsOfLull.esp=1
GuildStarter.esp=1
ERSO 08.99 - Lord of the Dead.esp=1
RDVTheCaveofDead.esp=1
AchieveThat.esp=1
ViewableFactionRanksBothDLC.esp=1
Easter Egg Hunt  2013.esp=1
SkyComplete.esp=1
Civil War Overhaul.esp=1
ESFCompanions.esp=1
FireAndIceOverhaul.esp=1
ImportantInformationOverhaul.esp=1
SpousesEnhanced.esp=1
SpousesEnhanced_Serana.esp=1
StrapOnbyaeonv1.1.esp=1
SC07SexLabRandomAttack.esp=1
NonSexLabAnimationPack.esp=1
SexLab Approach.esp=1
SexLabArousedAnimations.esp=1
SexLab Horny Followers - Female Only.esp=1
SexLab Romance.esp=1
Thieves Guild Requirements.esp=1
Vile Art of Necromancy.esp=1
wizDynamicThings.esp=1
SkyrimSewers.esp=1
iNeed.esp=1
Chesko_Frostfall.esp=1
Drinking Fountains of Skyrim.esp=1
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp=1
ELE-Interior Lighting.esp=1
ELE DG-Interior Lighting.esp=1
ELE HF-Interior Lighting.esp=1
ELE DB-Interior Lighting.esp=1
Better Vampires.esp=1
Nock2Tip.esp=1
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp=1
Phenderix's Magic Evolved.esp=1
SUM_DruidConjuration.esp=1
ForgottenMagic_Redone.esp=1
CombatDramaOverhaul.esp=1
Dragon Combat Overhaul.esp=1
Epic Music Overhaul.esp=1
SimpleMagicOverhaul.esp=1
DragonCombatOverhaulDragonborn.esp=1
KonnektorDragonborn.esp=1
SkyAI Preset - Duke Patricks - Heavy Weapons Combat.esp=1
SPERG.esp=1
SPERG-DG.esp=1
SPERG-DB.esp=1
SGHailPackAllinOne.esp=1
3DNPC.esp=1
Tes Arena - Skyrim Frontier Fortress.esp=1
LeafRest OnePiece.esp=1
RiversideLodge.esp=1
Folkstead.esp=1
SeaPointSettlement.esp=1
TalosSafeHaven.esp=1
HeljarchenFarm.esp=1
FSP - Unique Towns & Locations.esp=1
FSP - Dawnguard Edition.esp=1
NerniesCityandVillageExpansion.esp=1
Skyrim Bridges.esp=1
RealisticWaterTwo.esp=1
Verdant - A Skyrim Grass Plugin.esp=1
TradeRoutes.esp=1
TradeRoutes-Requiem-Patch.esp=1
Lara Croft 2013.esp=1
Mrissi.esp=1
NonEssentialChildren.esp=1
Immersive detection of NPC.esp=1
Skyrim Unbound.esp=1
CharacterMakingExtender.esp=1
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp=1
EnhancedCharacterEdit.esp=1
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp=1
Shadow of Morrowind Map.esp=1
SCO Winter Edition.esp=1
SCO Winter Edition - Solstheim.esp=1
SCO Winter Edition - Hearthfire Patch.esp=1
SCO Winter Edition - No Grass Patch.esp=1
SuccubusRaceLite.esp=1
TemptressVixen.esp=1
Crystallyn.esp=1
Lady Body.esp=1
Clean Invisibility Effects plus Eyes Fix.esp=1
Vendayns TES5Edit Merged Patch.esp=1
Bashed Patch, 0.esp=1

Guest Vendayn

I have a feeling its Tundra Defense, because my game runs fine until I'm near my outpost. Unless it just happens when I'm near my outpost (but I can even be in an interior like an inn that is only next to my outside outpost.) But, I'm not 100% sure. I love the mod, but it is old. Anyone else have issues with Tundra Defense?

If it is TD, would RTS be a good replacement? Or is RTS a bad mod to use too? I do know RTS has a TON of scripts.

Otherwise I have no mod I can use to build stuff where I like. And pocket empire has far too many scripts. But if TD is the source (and I think its likely, but I'll ask before removing it)...guess I'll have no choice but to remove it.

(edit: I ended up removing all the Sexlab stuff as a lot were script intensive. And I actually want to play Skyrim.

I'm about to go into game and test it out. I think I was using too many script mods along with Sexlab which already uses a lot of scripts.)

Guest Vendayn

Yeah. And my save would be fixed if I waited 31 days. So, if I saw my save at 15mb, I'd turn off iNeed and go into an interior (usually my house) and wait 31 days. Then my save would drop to 14mb...but would again slowly rise to 15mb. But I already removed sexlab stuff.

On my new game, performance is vastly better right from the start. No stuttering or anything like I was getting. My save is also 10.3 MB instead of 13mb that it started out at last time on a new save/character. Everything seems to just run smoothly. This is obviously initial start from making character, starting in inn (skyrim unbound) and going outside and running around the village.

I actually have a feeling it was that mod that added slaves to bandits and added slaves to the villages and holds, as I saw them everywhere in my game. I bet that was doing it, as most mods that add immersive travellers have save bloat issue. And any time there were slaves roaming around, actually caused my save to grow in size.

May have been multiple things though. In any case, I'll keep testing my character out...but 10.3mb is a lot less than 13mb compared to my old mod load order when I first started my character.

(edit: My FPS is also 50-60 in interior (unlike 40 before) and exteriors its 40-50 compared to 30-40. So my FPS has gotten a HUGE boost).

Guest Vendayn

Just install Save game script cleaner: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363/?and run your save through it. Should fix it right up. I've been using the same save for 575 hours now and have 254 mods installed. and I constantly change them out, and add new ones. So yeah it works.

That is the strange thing. Once my saves jumped to 15mb ran through that program (and the bit older save tool)...it would make that papyrus cleaner do nothing for literally 48+ hours (so pretty much whatever caused the saves to broke really screwed something up). And when I used the save tool http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363/?

It would crash the program.

But unaffected saves (those at 14mb, not 15mb) before that let the programs run just fine. That papyrus cleaner ran quick, that other save tool didn't crash or anything. Otherwise, I couldn't even load the save at all in those two programs.

(edit: However, waiting 31 days, and then cleaning the saves DID let the programs work. However, they cleaned nothing script wise or anything else...so no idea

I'll see if it happens again with my new skyrim setup, I removed a bunch of mods. BTW, I have indeed cleaned all dirty mods that LOOT said to clean. But like I said, I have a feeling it was the slave mod as it added a ton of slaves everywhere)

Guest Vendayn

Well, so far it seems okay. Its staying at exactly 13 mb so far at level 10. I'd get to level 10 before and it would be past 14mb and suddenly jump to 15mb and break. Not even save cleaners could open the save after that.

I'll keep playing and see what happens. Seems fine now, so one of the mods (or more than one) must have broken it. Hope it keeps working.

Guest Vendayn

Well, my saves are still fine.

But, it was really weird. I was running toward Riften, and when I got half way there from Shor's Stone...and all the ashen trees were low textures. On top of that, I could run through all trees/rocks and everything. I could even run through buildings. It was like I was playing a buggy tech demo...nothing rendered properly and if it did it was super low textures that I could run through. Only the landscape was normal. When I tried going into buildings, I couldn't even have the choice of entering an interior. Riften gates were just a low texture wall (so no gate at all). Also, the road textures were either broken and buggy or were just not there.

All monsters/animals/npcs were gone too...I was like in a tech demo full of nothingness. It looked like I was playing daggerfall. When I saved (new save obviously) my game crashed right to desktop with no error.

I went back into the game and it didn't happen again when I went back to Riften.

The whole time, my FPS was 30+ it never dropped below 30. It was also after 2 hours of playing with no issue.

Guest Vendayn

My unofficial patches were very out of date. They weren't even masters (that is how old they were). Guess I forgot to update them...must be over 1 or even close to 2 years old.

Would that have caused issues?

(edit: Since I updated all 4 unofficial patches I had, I'll see how my game is now. I wonder since they were so out of date if they were causing issues of some kind.

Too bad I have to start AGAIN on a new character. But, since I added a few mods/updated the unofficial patches...seems like I should just start new to make sure 100% it works.)

Well, my saves are still fine.

But, it was really weird. I was running toward Riften, and when I got half way there from Shor's Stone...and all the ashen trees were low textures. On top of that, I could run through all trees/rocks and everything. I could even run through buildings. It was like I was playing a buggy tech demo...nothing rendered properly and if it did it was super low textures that I could run through. Only the landscape was normal. When I tried going into buildings, I couldn't even have the choice of entering an interior. Riften gates were just a low texture wall (so no gate at all). Also, the road textures were either broken and buggy or were just not there.

All monsters/animals/npcs were gone too...I was like in a tech demo full of nothingness. It looked like I was playing daggerfall. When I saved (new save obviously) my game crashed right to desktop with no error.

I went back into the game and it didn't happen again when I went back to Riften.

The whole time, my FPS was 30+ it never dropped below 30. It was also after 2 hours of playing with no issue.

I have had that happen a few times, basically you ran into the LOD area as the game thinks you are someplace else.

My unofficial patches were very out of date. They weren't even masters (that is how old they were). Guess I forgot to update them...must be over 1 or even close to 2 years old.

Would that have caused issues?

(edit: Since I updated all 4 unofficial patches I had, I'll see how my game is now. I wonder since they were so out of date if they were causing issues of some kind.

Too bad I have to start AGAIN on a new character. But, since I added a few mods/updated the unofficial patches...seems like I should just start new to make sure 100% it works.)

I would start a new game, if the mods or patches changes any script properties they won't change in your game.

Also, have you tried loading a save that works then the one you want? About half the time my saves won't load if it is the first one I load but if I load a different one first (usually made just after setting all my mcm menu's on a new game) then the other it works fine.

Guest Vendayn

Yeah, I do that each time. I think it's fixed now. My last character I played 10 hours with no issue. Last time my game wouldn't load a save at all after getting to level 10 and save cleaners crashed when opening the saves

Guest Vendayn

Well, my game is working great. Its close to 14 mb again though (goes from 13.5mb to 13.2mb), but I do have a lot of mods and if I stay in one area the save slowly drops in size. Like I usually hang around in the SE area (ivarstead, riften and windhelm)...so my save stays pretty much the same and goes down after a while. If I go to a new area, it goes up again. I guess people with 250 mods have 9mb saves...but mine never goes that low. They probably use smaller mods or something.

But over 10 hours played, and game works great. In fact, my last playthrough of 8 hours, not a single CTD at all.

In any case, I found the mod that was causing it. It was indeed the mod that added slaves to villages/cities and added roaming slaves captured by bandits and slave traders. Maybe the mod itself is fine, and doesn't like being in a big mod list. But when I added it, my test save went to 15 mb and I couldn't load it again (even through qasmoke or new game) and all the save cleaners kept crashing on opening it.

So I removed it and went back to my original save and game was fine. So it was indeed the mod that added slaves. Like I said, maybe it doesn't like being in a big heavy mod list...but that was the issue for me.

Archived