Is there a reason Blackreach is so under-modded?

Guest Vendayn

Guest Vendayn

On Nexus, its not even a full page of Blackreach stuff. No better any other Skyrim mod site.

Most of the Blackreach mods are abandoned. Very few new ones...a bunch of house ones....but nothing that great.

Does no one go to Blackreach or something? Too tough of an area and most people don't see it?

In my game, I pretty much live down there. I use RTS (that has been abandoned too), along with Tundra Defense (at least it actually feels finished) and Guild Starter...so I have a base of operations down there. But barely any mods actually add or do anything to the place.

Is it just a rare area that most don't know about? No interest in modding there? Or what? Its most unique area in Skyrim imo lol.

That's actually a pretty good question. I know colorful magic adds a boss mob down there. Interesting NPCs has a side quest but it's so small it's not worth mentioning compared to the rest of the mod. Immersive creatures adds a few new enemies to the zone. But besides for that the place doesn't have much that I know of.

Since only about 2 quests are down there (the nirnroot one and the scroll) it's optimal modding territory do to a lack of you broke my game chances. Might be something engine based keeping people away...

Blackreach is sort of a love and hate thing.

It is good because it is unique and sizable.

It is bad because it is relatively difficult to reach initially, the local map is little help navigating it, if you truly want wide open areas the open world above ground has lots of options.

Although it would be nice to have another wide open area like it with a different theme, for draugrs, trolls, bandits, etc.

On Nexus, its not even a full page of Blackreach stuff. No better any other Skyrim mod site.

Most of the Blackreach mods are abandoned. Very few new ones...a bunch of house ones....but nothing that great.

Does no one go to Blackreach or something? Too tough of an area and most people don't see it?

In my game, I pretty much live down there. I use RTS (that has been abandoned too), along with Tundra Defense (at least it actually feels finished) and Guild Starter...so I have a base of operations down there. But barely any mods actually add or do anything to the place.

Is it just a rare area that most don't know about? No interest in modding there? Or what? Its most unique area in Skyrim imo lol.

It is a nice area but its not easy to reach since all the other entrances require that cube you get for a different quest and while it is cool down there because its cool down there you explore it so once you have explored it fully once do you do it again?

The only mod i know of that gives you access their straight away is the immerslave warlock option (think its that one) so it could be not many authors want to make content for a place that people won't go.

In no particular order:-

It is bad because it is relatively difficult to reach initially,

It's one of the best Alternative Starts there is - and most difficult if you don't have Frostfall installed, (in which case the boat start is).

you can't fast travel to any places of note there.

Pah! Fast travel indeed!

It is a bad place for anyone with a vision impairment

It's a bad place with people without visual impairment. Sort of levels the playing field.

I feel bad for the poor bastards at Bethesda that had to build Blackreach.

Then you remember they got a tool in to do the Serana AI coding for Dawnguard - and you just know they deserve it.

Out of all the reasons put forward, i think "it's hard to get to" is the one that weighs the heaviest.

You can't get to Blackreach without playing quite far into the main quest (hereafter "MQ"), and the MQ is one of the worst questlines of the game. If you have beat it just once at any time over the years Skyrim has been out, then there really is no good reason to do it ever again, it doesen't get any less dull or nonsensical the second time, and much less past that, and beating it has no consequences for the gameworld or your interactions therein.

For this reason alone, i know that i would never wish to tie any mod that i make to the MQ, or locations locked by same. Who would want to slog through the MQ just to play it? I woulden't, so how i could i ask it of others?

It's a nice location, but it's tied to the MQ, and that is the worst thing it could be tied to.

Out of all the reasons put forward, i think "it's hard to get to" is the one that weighs the heaviest.

You can't get to Blackreach without playing quite far into the main quest (hereafter "MQ"), and the MQ is one of the worst questlines of the game. If you have beat it just once at any time over the years Skyrim has been out, then there really is no good reason to do it ever again, it doesen't get any less dull or nonsensical the second time, and much less past that, and beating it has no consequences for the gameworld or your interactions therein.

For this reason alone, i know that i would never wish to tie any mod that i make to the MQ, or locations locked by same. Who would want to slog through the MQ just to play it? I woulden't, so how i could i ask it of others?

It's a nice location, but it's tied to the MQ, and that is the worst thing it could be tied to.

You don't need to do the MQ. All you need to do is go to septimus' outpost and start his quest, then you can go to a Dwemer ruin and get in Blackreach. :)

DA captured by the Falmer makes the best use of it I feel. Any mods there could be very cool but would need to make getting inside easier, especially for lower level characters.

I also agree with coopervane about the MQ, I did it once and never want to do it again. I thought the MQ was far and away the worst part of the game.

You don't need to do the MQ. All you need to do is go to septimus' outpost and start his quest, then you can go to a Dwemer ruin and get in Blackreach. :)

Don't you have to have one of the elder scrolls first? Which you get either in the DG DLC or the main quest?

Guest Vendayn

I didn't touch the main quest at all :P

coc into sinerion lab (or whatever his name was)...so you teleport into his lab. So, it pretty much does exactly what live another life start does, which I have a feeling he just does coc anyway.

Then went to the exit. The one where it leads to nightgate inn. Spawned in attunement orb and opened it up :P Now I can go back and forth with no issue.

Maybe that's too complicated for most people...seems easier and better than going through MQ though. But you still have live another life that starts you there if you choose.

Anyway...

I started a city down there, a fortress and I put my guild starter down there as well. I first built the fortress and got that started...put down guild stone and built a farm and some houses for people to live in. I even consolled in farm animals.

Now I have no fortress, no city and never did start the guild. The falmer took my fortress over :( But, next time I play...I'm gonna recruit Ulfric, his 2nd in command, tullius, queen elisif and a bunch of other "boss" people to unite and secure blackreach for all of tamriel! The falmer will stand no chance!

I'm gonna playing it as a frontiers kinda thing :P I just happened to lose all ground and my fortress guys died from too many falmer lol.

Don't you have to have one of the elder scrolls first? Which you get either in the DG DLC or the main quest?

Nope. No scrolls needed. :)

By going to Blackreach and into the tower that has the scroll, you can get the scroll before starting the MQ.

Furthermore I think you can actually pickpocket the sphere from Septimus Signus and be on your way.

One of the major Lord of the Rings weapons collection mods has Sauron as a boss battle in BlackReach.

This one maybe. It has been a while since I used it (having never gotten around to re-installing it after some security program deleted all of my BethesdaSoft Games and their mods a good long while ago) so I could be wrong.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5727/?

As for the reason,it might simply be that many modders and mod showcasers (like MMOxR who is constantly distracted by new mods or re-installing older mods after yet another installation becomes hopelessly ruined) never make it that far in the main story line so they might not even be aware that Blackreach exists.

Many of them also prefer to mod things which players can easily access immediately rather than save mod content for late game or end game where many folks will never see it.

Guest Vendayn

I've been messing around Blackreach. Giving it some life. Lore friendly? Dunno, but its fun.

I consolled in a ton of deer, chickens, rabbits, goats. Spawned in some apple trees, snowberry bushes, purple/red etc flowers and spawned in some wheat and basic plants. All in the remnants of Falmer city that I spent a lot of deaths clearing out :P Then I spawned in a bunch of imperial border guards, and then spawned in stormcloak commanders thinking they'd fight...but they actually united in blackreach. I have ulfric down there too living in Falmer city. I did have tullius, but he had to die since he kept arrowing ulfric in the face.

Then I went back a bit, and spawned in some more deer/rabbits and accidentally spawned a bunch of random aggressive animals. Then I spawned in horkers in various areas around the river/pond area by the exit to Nightgate inn.

Dunno if they'll disappear eventually or just die off...I'm testing that out. But, all kinds of animals are all over blackreach :P some died, but its funny. And imperials and stormcloaks killed so many falmer. Then there is ulfric, he is a beast of a killer. He pwned tullius so hard. And yes...I meant it in a sexlab way ;) yeah don't ask...but then he knocked tullius down and I finished him off. Was kinda random.

I might spawn in a few buildings I can go in. I dunno which ones would fit though. So I might skip it. I tried riverside inn inside blackreach, but that was too much, and felt too weird. so I reloaded the save. I'm thinking I spawn in the entrance to windhelm castle if that is possible or some windhelm location...kinda like a "portal" that stormcloaks use to go through. Do same for Solitude. I'd have to do same to other side. So I'd have to spawn in one of those entrances to blackreach in both cities. That way its like a "gateway" back and forth from skyrim to blackreach and back. That way it kinda makes sense imperials/stormcloaks both go down there.

but yeah...wildlife in blackreach :P it did drop my FPS though all those animals and NPCs...but its hilarious. There are animals running all over the place. And imperials+stormcloaks killing falmer. Dunno how they'd fare against those robots though...I cleared those out mostly.

Archived