I recently uncovered my Laptop "HP Compaq 511" stashed in the back room older laptop. It house a "ATI Mobility HD 4330" which is enough to run skyrim on medium 20fps and other optimized modern games on medium 30 fps.

However when I formated to Windows 8.1 x86 since it only houses 2gb of ram.

The graphics card turned into Basic Windows Display Driver, so I grabbed "Graphics Driver ATI 13-4 Legacy" but when installing it the Installer crashes, i found out that it crashed because it doesnt detect my laptop as compatible with it, more seriously it doesnt detect my graphics card at all.

Any help or ideas?

Please, thank you very much.

Looks like Legacy 13.4 is a beta driver. Have you tried non-beta 13.1?

yes and all other previous versions even the specific one that came with the laptop, the cd that came with it.

It refuses to detect my graphics card, even uninstalled basic display boot in safe mode and install there, it just doesnt want it. Then after another restart win 8 automatically installs basic display again.

if you are sure  that your driver is ati 4330  did you try to force install it manually  just the driver first

by forcing install, you mean navigating to the driver folder and using the files specifically only drivers? like forcing them to install via cmd or manually adding drivers, then yes, gives the error incompatible with you hardware

Oh, right. It's a laptop.

Whenever I installed the official drivers fer anything, I'd get all sorts of buggery with my Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 15", specially with the Intel iGPU. Had to install ancient OEM shiznit fer the doozey.

Try nabbing the GPU drivers from here. http://www.getdriver.com/notebook/hp-compaq/331/compaq-511-windows-7-drivers-x86-32-bit.html

thats what ive been doing for the past 4 hours , didnt work

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the fact that this houses hd 4330 mobility since i was able to play games in here even bioshock infinite runs smooth with low and medium settings combined, just with the windows 8.1 pro transfer the gfx doesnt get detected anymore.

Another add on is when I install it when I delete the basic addapter driver windows 8 gives , and when i attach a monitor it installs but only a kb and the install log only displays final status success size 20mb and blank field.

EDIT: connecting the laptop to another monitor doesnt project my desktop to it, when i go in the project option theres a notice please install driver to use dual monitor, is it possible that the onboard ATI Graphics is broke? thats why its using the onboard basic display driver?

no not cmd  :   w8 you go to the bottom left side  a purple square appear  and you  right click on it .   in pop up  you select the peripherics ,  a window  pops and all the hard is mentioned   you select the videocard  , right click  on it.  it gives you the options.

no not cmd  :   w8 you go to the bottom left side  a purple square appear  and you  right click on it .   in pop up  you select the peripherics ,  a window  pops and all the hard is mentioned   you select the videocard  , right click  on it.  it gives you the options.

im not sure what you mean but there is no peripherals in the pop up, only device manager, system, power options etc.

read my edited post above your post, maybe it may help.

yes  device manager    (sorry could not say it in proper English)

i do not think it is broken  but i can not tell from distance.

it installed only the kb  because you do not have the files. inf  (drivers) 

also  a probable thing  is you might need to update the bios  (read   carefully   before doing anything with the bios)

yes  device manager    (sorry could not say it in proper English)

i do not think it is broken  but i can not tell from distance.

it installed only the kb  because you do not have the files. inf  (drivers) 

also  a probable thing  is you might need to update the bios  (read   carefully   before doing anything with the bios)

I installed it using the inf files from driver folder, still no success, how do i update my bios? because i cant find any bios update for my compaq 511

I recently uncovered my Laptop "HP Compaq 511" stashed in the back room older laptop. It house a "ATI Mobility HD 4330" which is enough to run skyrim on medium 20fps and other optimized modern games on medium 30 fps.

However when I formated to Windows 8.1 x86 since it only houses 2gb of ram.

The graphics card turned into Basic Windows Display Driver, so I grabbed "Graphics Driver ATI 13-4 Legacy" but when installing it the Installer crashes, i found out that it crashed because it doesnt detect my laptop as compatible with it, more seriously it doesnt detect my graphics card at all.

Any help or ideas?

Please, thank you very much.

There's Your problem.

I'm serious.

I had FPS issues with tons of games on W8. (Crysis, Skyrim, Oblivion, Spore, MoH games)

Installing W7 fixed aaaaaall that shiet.

Also, W8 uses a shitload of RAM. 2GBs are nothing.

Archived