Mod Merging Advice Requested

mahoutsukai

So, I am trying to make a merged mod of RS "Populated..." Series, and there is a difficulty - the mods contain Face Gen data that is not merged properly - As I am new to this process, could someone help me out and give me an outline of how to properly merge mods containing external assets (facegen, textures...).

Any help is appreciated, and thanks.

The "Populated..." Series (found here: http://erkeilmods.altervista.org/skyrim/populated-forts-towers-places-rs/) add multiple generic NPCs to various areas of Skyrim, without using scripts. These NPCs are generic assets, and inherit traits, spells, etc. that alter vanilla assets, so it is compatible with almost any mod. However, the face's are unique to each NPC, so that you don't run into the same face in Riften, then Markarth. 

I have used this guide ( http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/904953-how-to-merge-multiple-mods-with-multiple-master-files/) before, to merge other mods. When I try the same method using the "Populated..." series, I run into an issue where the NPCs vanish, or suffer from missing textures. From what I can tell, it seems that the merged mod fails to carry over the internal assets (facegen data, textures, etc) or it renames them, or something else...

I was hoping that someone could help me with how to go about merging mods in a more... advanced way, than the one outlined above. When I used that method before, it was merging a perk mod that was modular, so that it only had one .esp, instead of one for each skill. But it added nothing to the game (new spells, leveled list changes, NPCs, etc) and so it went smoothly. But this merge would merge so much more (facegen data, assigned voice sets, routines, actor inventory, etc...) and I just failed at it.

Hope that clears up what I was asking. Thanks. 

Several thoughts that may be causing issues.  First, is the populated mod in a bsa? It needs to be exported to loose files to merge.  Second, is body types used, if you have different skeletons being placed in different file locations it does do strange things.  Third, is TEV5Edit the most current with updated plugins?  Even with the the option to now do scripts, I personally do not merge scripted mods so I will not affect FNIS.

The guide you follow is excellent, I personally review the video on Youtube before I start the merge.  This helps me do them properly with only a few limited fails.

Hope these questions help you solve your issue.

Had a quick look... I would guess the main problem is that face geometry/face tint data is stored according to the name of the esp and the formID of the Actor in the esp.

Data/Meshes/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom/Populated Forts Towers Places.esp/00000D62.NIF

This means, if you merge into a different esp and re-number the formIDs when you do, the new merged mod will be expecting the files to be in

Data/Meshes/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom/Merge.esp/00001234.NIF

If you can merge it without re-numbering, you might be able to rename the directory to get it to work.

Had a quick look... I would guess the main problem is that face geometry/face tint data is stored according to the name of the esp and the formID of the Actor in the esp.

Data/Meshes/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom/Populated Forts Towers Places.esp/00000D62.NIF

This means, if you merge into a different esp and re-number the formIDs when you do, the new merged mod will be expecting the files to be in

Data/Meshes/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom/Merge.esp/00001234.NIF

If you can merge it without re-numbering, you might be able to rename the directory to get it to work.

I second this. I've already read about this issue with merging followers together. The file path changes so you will need to open up the merged esp with ck and to look for the textures and meshes and what folders they load from so you can do the appropriate folder renaming.

• 2 weeks later...

Renaming assets ?
Only the path to them (who require an edit as to be up to date (after merge is done) !

Otherwise, the name of the file do not change at all, only & single worry (quite common this said) being related to the way data are first set up (which is mod maker related then).

Archived