Hey all, new to loverslab and looking for some help getting started!

knightofrenais

Hey everyone, topic is just what it sounds like: I've played skyrim on the console for years but just purchased the steam version. I heard of the modding potential and found this site. So my question to yall veterans is could I have some advice for getting started? What do I need to download, how can I start modding my game. Thanks and cheers.

Watch this series of videos.

These will cover using Nexus Mod Manager (a tool to add and remove mods from the Skryim game folder) and also manual mod installation. I would strongly suggest a better tool than NMM in the form of Mod Organizer. MO does come with more of a learning curve, but it's a far more powerful tool and less likely to break your game (and it has a lot of other great features as well).

The truth is that if you're fairly computer literate this shouldn't be too difficult. Just be sure to watch the tutorials because they will help THAT MUCH. Invest a little time into learning first so your experience is more enjoyable and less frustrating.

This is a GREAT community full of talented, helpful and all around nice folks. After you get going this is a good place to ask the harder questions.

These will cover using Nexus Mod Manager (a tool to add and remove mods from the Skryim game folder) and also manual mod installation. I would strongly suggest a better tool than NMM in the form of Mod Organizer. MO does come with more of a learning curve, but it's a far more powerful tool and less likely to break your game (and it has a lot of other great features as well).

This. Can't go wrong with Gopher

First it depends on what you are looking for. There are tons of mods available for bodies, clothing, armor, weapons, ui, gameplay, weather mods, "realism" and sex mods out there.

A good start though, is to have a mod manager. You have Nexus Mod manager, or even better, Mod Organizer. (MO)

But I highly recommend doing manual installs, so you learn file structures. It's a personal preference of course, but if you install mods manually,

you will have much more understanding why something might end up wrong.

I only use MO when I install a mod that has several different options. But you can of course, you can do this manually as well. It's just little more time consuming.

Loot is another useful tool, in case you game crash alot.

Loot can help sort out your load order. However, don't fully trust it 100%, it's much better learning the process of sorting your load order out yourself.

More advanced mods, requires, Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE)

I highly recommend to get SkyUi to get rid of the console UI. It's pure abomination for PC users.

I am afraid, that the rest is up to you. Remember to read alot! Some mods requires other mods to work, so therefore it's important to read the requirements and the Read Me.

When you have a mod organizer, SKSE, etc etc, start by adding one mod at the time, and start the game to see if it works. And then add another one, and repeat the process until you are happy with your set-up.

This. Can't go wrong with Gopher

He might ramble a bit sometimes but he really knows his stuff when it comes to modding.

Archived