Damn you Bethesda. (CTD assistance)

TheTraveler

So everything was working just fine a day or so ago.  I have installed nothing but armor, weapon and follower mods and follower overhauls as well as the obligatory body, texture and mesh changes we all use to make skyrim look pretty.  I really hate this goddamn engine, it sucks.

Now when I load a save game I get a CTD after about 3 seconds.  I see some stuff loading in the upper left as per usual.  I gets to  change hairstyle self and then promptly crashes.  TES5EDIT gives me no errors.  Papyrus is a mess as it always is but it has never given me problems like this.  If I was crashing before TES5EDIT would let me know it was an issue with something needing something else.  Why would it decide to crash now when it was working?  I literally install nothing but followers, armor and weapons lately.

I attached my Papyrus log if it helps as well as my TES5EDIT log.

Do any of your recently installed followers use a hair that you don't have? i.e. do they require a hair mod you're missing?

EDIT: Are you using the marriable serana mod properly?

No to a marriable serana.

If it was a hair causing the issue TES5EDIT should tell me that.  But as far as I know that shouldn't be a problem.  I have a LOT of hairs installed.

I am certainly not an expert at reading papyrus logs, but it seems as though a mod you have is trying to reference the marriable serana mod and not finding it.

Line 577: [09/28/2014 - 03:15:27PM] error: File "Marriable Serana.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.

So something is trying to access the ESP but it isn't there, which may causing your problem.

However, I just reread your original post...

I gets to  change hairstyle self and then promptly crashes.

You mean when character creation screen comes up the game crashes? If so, it's because the game is trying to load too many hairs and has run out of memory. In that case, either use Racemenu, or find a precache killer like this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33526/? and that should fix your problem.

I am certainly not an expert at reading papyrus logs, but it seems as though a mod you have is trying to reference the marriable serana mod and not finding it.

Line 577: [09/28/2014 - 03:15:27PM] error: File "Marriable Serana.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.

So something is trying to access the ESP but it isn't there, which may causing your problem.

However, I just reread your original post...

I gets to  change hairstyle self and then promptly crashes.

You mean when character creation screen comes up the game crashes? If so, it's because the game is trying to load too many hairs and has run out of memory. In that case, either use Racemenu, or find a precache killer like this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33526/? and that should fix your problem.

Even if you use Racemenu, you should probably use Precache Killer regardless, as Skyrim is really fond of crashing when you try scrolling though 300 hairstyles.

I personally installed Precache killer and then installed Racemenu on top of it, and it works perfectly fine for me. I've heard some people say that the two are incompatible, though, and crashed their game... Racemenu is supposed to have a precache killer bundled with it when you install it. Maybe it was with an older version of one or the other of the two mods.

I dunno. Install one or the other, or both, try it and see...

It can't be the change hairstyle self that's causing the crash it as it was not causing a crash just the day before.  I literally did nothing but add a few more followers to choose from.

I took another look of your log. There are long lines of errors of subrecords after certain named files that I think are those followers you mentioned.

There are two (possibly) conflicting themes here.

1. Crashes when you try to make a new character, at the character creation screen.

2. Crashes because of mod conflicts

3. Crashes because of both of them.

1) It's most likely a race mod or hair mod or face tint mod or precache problem. You've said you are using precache killer and only recently had this issue, so this is probably not the case.

2) You said you just downloaded new followers. One of them is the likely cause of your problems. Just disable them one at a time and see which is causing the problem.

3) It's possible that the followers themselves are fine but one of them is adding its own race, body, hair, face, etc. thing in and that's causing the problem, in which case the solution is the same as the solution to 2.

I still crash when I make a new character at nearly the same timestamp.

If you're not using an alternate start mod, this is expected, since the entire beginning of the game is tightly scripted and you should always have a crash right at the same timestamp every time.

These file had subrecord errors below them:

Luxlucis.esp

PirateRobes.esp

Dralora.esp

One of them obvously isn't a follower mod - as I first thougth-, but I do not actually recognize others either.

Dralora is a follower, the others are armors.  I'll take a look.  I will also unselect the last few followers i added and see if that works.

Archived