i dont get any quest marker or journal entry, but i can go to the first dude to get the book... is this normal?

Yes... this quest is one without markers or journal updates.

Originally that was because I couldn't figure out how to do it, but as development progressed, I found myself having fun not having exact markers, and having to explore a bit.

The lack of a journal is something else entirely, though... I may end up changing that.

So...the intro book she gives me appears to be poison to my game. Every time I put the mouse even in its vicinity in my inventory the game ctd's. I even tried it on a new game. is the "patch" mod the full thing, or is it really just a patch? Do I need the previous version as well?

So...the intro book she gives me appears to be poison to my game. Every time I put the mouse even in its vicinity in my inventory the game ctd's. I even tried it on a new game. is the "patch" mod the full thing, or is it really just a patch? Do I need the previous version as well?

the patch is just a patch, need the 2.0 version first.

You need to talk to Herra and she will tell you where to go, there is no journal entry or quest markers.

She will remind you if you forget.

Unfortunatly, I wasn't able to find the dialogue wich will tell me so :/

I may have done an error in my installation. I will return tomorrow to let you know if I was doing something wrong

I suppose that all know it, but I add it, the patch correct my problem. So thanks CoCo !

But now I in need of a little spoiler, because I've searched all the falkthreat zone, but I was not able to find the courrier for the second book :(

Go west from the shop/Herra's house, take the right-turn south towards Falkreath, just a few yards down there, on the left, a little way from the road. In my game there's usually random creature there.

Just a patch, as r5e4w3q2 says... contains the .esp and scripts only.

That's an odd crash... I would guess it has something to do with the book texture, it has a unique texture and there may be a problem with it. I'll take a look at it.

Try this - if you have another book texture from another mod, copy it over the "buk.dds" file in the  "textures/coco/dm" folder and maybe that'll fix it?

Alternately, a little more work, but you could open up the .esp and change the texture path for the books.

I can't think of any other reason that would be causing a CTD there, the books themselves are mechanically identical to every other book in Skyrim (except they have on-change-container scripts attached to them, which I don't think would matter...???).

It is possible that the "proper ponygirl" book might also cause some minor problems, though... it does not have a unique texture, or any scripts attached, but it does have enough text that my computer (which is certainly not a potato) stutters just a tiny bit when opening the book in inventory.

You need to talk to Herra and she will tell you where to go, there is no journal entry or quest markers.

I may have done an error in my installation. I will return tomorrow to let you know if I was doing something wrong

I suppose that all know it, but I add it, the patch correct my problem. So thanks CoCo !

But now I in need of a little spoiler, because I've searched all the falkthreat zone, but I was not able to find the courrier for the second book :(

If you still have trouble finding her, you can go to the console and coc to "shriekwindbastionexterior01" and she should be right under your feet (maybe behind you a bit).

If she's not there, then there's a real problem... do a console search for "the devious manual" and .additem the book (vol. 2), I believe that should trigger the update. Make sure you add the right book - there are two versions of all the books in this mod, one scripted and one not - you want the book called "THE devious manual VOL 2" and not "Devious Manual VOLUME 2"

If that still doesn't work, I believe that setting the stage manually to 60 should update the quest properly.

Status of the next patch:
Hopefully fixed navmeshes so followers aren't a problem. I really hope this hasn't broken anything, I'm kind of flailing around in the dark when it comes to navmeshing properly.
A typo has been fixed (thanks to Thermius)
Jaef's dialog has been fixed to better reflect Skyrim's standards.
A quest log (but not pointers) has been added, so if you forget where you're supposed to go next, you don't have to run back to Herra to ask again. Note that the quest log may be a bit misleading if you've killed Anton Virane or Garvey.
Removed the incipient "khajiit pirate" quest - I think I'll end up expanding on that and making it a completely different mod.

Remember to read the OP for warnings, notes, and caveats, I'll update it when I upload the new version.

I'm waiting a little while before uploading a new version in case someone finds some other bugs, or has other requests.

Can't find it anymore >.>

Consider it a glitch in my install, I'll be keeping an eye on other dialogue... I did have Fuz installed btw.

I'm at 84 mods atm, but I'm too far along to want to start over.

I should add another install, just for testing... xD

I feel your pain.

I rarely get any character above maybe level 20, 25 or so before starting a new game, because various mods update and I try to test them all. I always feel like I might be missing something really good later on, but I can't stop myself from starting over, and over, and over... :)

Cleaned my install. I reached Lv32 this time, before everything was eaten by the 'clean your install'-monster. No more glitches to be found, so scratch my bug report.

I think I'll forgo the later books this time and just nab Herra for my home xD

dress her up from time to time... have Ysolda play with her... a good life without worries :D

Go west from the shop/Herra's house, take the right-turn south towards Falkreath, just a few yards down there, on the left, a little way from the road. In my game there's usually random creature there.

Found it ! Thanks a lot :)

I have to admit that the grass mods are not always practical ...

Glad you found it, especially considering I should have said

east

!

Ah, directions, eh? It's all the same really... :-/

Found it ! Thanks a lot :)

I have to admit that the grass mods are not always practical ...

Glad you found it, especially considering I should have said

east

!

I had such a problem with that in Morrowind...

@content_consumer - Welcome to the nonsensical world of papyrus and CKeditor.

So many things can go wrong that it is hard to test reliably sometimes.

I will be happy to help by PM if you have specific questions. Don't hesitate to ask on the SD beta testing thread if you want input from other testers. I won't mind if it is not directly related to SD.

@content_consumer - Welcome to the nonsensical world of papyrus and CKeditor.

So many things can go wrong that it is hard to test reliably sometimes.

I will be happy to help by PM if you have specific questions. Don't hesitate to ask on the SD beta testing thread if you want input from other testers. I won't mind if it is not directly related to SD.

Thanks! I will be sure to ask many, many questions, because I'm sure I'll have many, many questions.

I'm taking a little break (maybe a couple weeks?) and then I'm going to start a new mod, I think... quite a bit bigger and more ambitious than this one. Who knows if it'll amount to anything, but I intend to try. :)

[snip]

Doesn't help that Skyrim's map doesn't have a compass star and north isn't just straight up, is it?

Unless I've really missed some things, which is possible.

[snip]

Doesn't help that Skyrim's map doesn't have a compass star and north isn't just straight up, is it?

Unless I've really missed some things, which is possible.

No, you're right, there's no compass... and north is straight up, depending on your definition of "straight up." I mean, you can turn and rotate the map and all, so North may be any which way at any given time... and if you're on one of the far eastern or western borders, things can get really turned around.

v2.1.1 is up.

What's New in Version 2.1.1 (See full changelog)
  • 2.1.1 - final version (hopefully)
  • -- Bugfixes
  • -- Hopefully fixed navmeshes so followers aren't a problem.
  • -- Typo (Vonada -> Voada) thanks to Thermius.
  • -- Jaef's dialog fixed to better reflect Skyrim's standards.
  • -- Quest logs (but not pointers) added. Thanks r5e4w3q2.
  • -- Fixed Herra having a hat at one point. Dunno how I left that in there...
  • -- Cleaned with TES5Edit

Barring any major issues, I think this is pretty much finished.

There are still a couple of things I'd like to change and fix, but I need to actually learn how to do some real scripting first.

Mod has been running great so far but I am stuck on book Four/4. I have scoured Hobbs Fall Cave from top to bottom and found nothing and even the new ice wrath essence lab but have found no trace of said bandit with the book.

And ideas/pointers?

Lipo

PS: This is also where I got my first Armbinder... oh dear!

Edited by lithiumpolymer

Mod has been running great so far but I am stuck on book Four/4. I have scoured Hobbs Fall Cave from top to bottom and found nothing and even the new ice wrath essence lab but have found no trace of said bandit with the book.

And ideas/pointers?

Lipo

PS: This is also where I got my first Armbinder... oh dear!

Oh dear...

She didn't show up at all?

post-462261-0-77071500-1425871528_thumb.jpg

She should have the book on her...

post-462261-0-37147500-1425871541_thumb.jpg

I used a vanilla bandit template for her class, but heavily modified... in particular, I removed all the scripts and AI packages and everything else I could think of except her default outfit. She shouldn't be leveled or anything... in fact, she should be there right from the start of the game.

If she's not there for some reason, or if the book isn't in her inventory, you can try adding it manually:

Search for "The Devious Manual Vol. 4" in the console and .additem it. Note that there are two versions of the book - the other one is called "Devious Manual Volume 4" without the initial 'the' and 'vol' replaced with 'volume'... you don't want this one.

If that still doesn't work, you can setstage cocoq1 90 and head back to Herra... I haven't tried that, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Are you running any mods that change bandits, or leveled lists, or... I don't really know, the ice wraith researcher really shouldn't be affected by anything AFAIK.

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

She was never there. I had wondered if she dropped out the map but I have no idea tbh.
I will reload before I enter Hobbs and see what happens. If she is still not there I will add it through console.
I am running the CBBE bandit clothing mod which might affect her but I cant see anything else in my load order that looks to change her enough to cause her not to span at at all.
Thanks, I will let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Probably should have done this first, just reloading the game worked and she spawned correctly. Some how though she was resurrected as if there was a necromancer in the same room so I had to kill her twice. Odd but I got the book. Thanks!

She was never there. I had wondered if she dropped out the map but I have no idea tbh.

I will reload before I enter Hobbs and see what happens. If she is still not there I will add it through console.

I am running the CBBE bandit clothing mod which might affect her but I cant see anything else in my load order that looks to change her enough to cause her not to span at at all.

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Probably should have done this first, just reloading the game worked and she spawned correctly. Some how though she was resurrected as if there was a necromancer in the same room so I had to kill her twice. Odd but I got the book. Thanks!

Good to hear, glad it's working again. :)

Odd about the resurrection and double-kill, though...

does it end with book 7 and vanish ? 

i went looking for her (after book 7) in northwatch , bonechill and few other places ... was thinking of a slave market in riften but no idea

where that could be ... are we gonna find out what happens to her or ?  :dodgy:

fun mod btw smooth and easy ... thanks :angel:

does it end with book 7 and vanish ? 

i went looking for her (after book 7) in northwatch , bonechill and few other places ... was thinking of a slave market in riften but no idea

where that could be ... are we gonna find out what happens to her or ?  :dodgy:

fun mod btw smooth and easy ... thanks :angel:

After you find book 7, you should return to the house as normal. You'll find Herra and Jaef gone, and a note on the table explaining why, as well as where to go for the eighth book. :)

The note isn't obvious... when I did it the first time, when Herra is gagged, there is dialog explaining it, but there's nobody to mention the note when they're gone, so it's pretty easy for players to miss.

Maybe I should move the note to a more visible place... perhaps nailed to the front door to Herra's house, like the note nailed to the door to the Ice Wraith Researcher area...

EDIT: Once you find book 7, a chest appears in the house with volumes 1-6 and the introduction, and the note enables too... but technically, the quest ends at that stage, so the quest log doesn't actually show anything more.

EDIT 2: Probably not... she went off with Jaef to his place in High Rock where he can train her properly. She's probably living a... restricted but happy life there.

Jaef, on the other hand, might come back into things in another mod... He's not exactly what he seems to be.  ;) 

Thank you for the kind words!  :D 

Hmmm, snagged book 3 and read the ledger, think something was supposed to happen but didn't...

Dwemer trap had my ears perked...

Yeah... I had some trouble getting the damn thing to work properly. In the end, I scrapped the idea. I'll revisit it in the future, once I figure out what I'm doing wrong.

For now, just assume that the guy didn't remember to activate the trap.  :-/