Can't play Morrowind or Oblivion any more

Content Consumer

Oh, I don't know. If you just look at the number of mods on the Nexus, and the rate at which new ones are being added to all TES games there, I'd guess that Skyrim is going to be a player for quite some time.

Still, who knows? Maybe the next one will be a combination of Skyrim's graphics, Oblivion's mechanics, and Morrowind's story and gameplay. The trifecta of wonderfulness.

Btw when i think Morrowind and even when its DX11 with gorgeous graphics i still want the sound and voices of original somehow if they are not included half of fun and memory is gone.

Every time i start up good old Morrowind i love the sounds and voices.

So i doub i can enjoy Skywind i wonder?

Morrowind in my opinion has the best customization options out of the three 'recent' Elder Scroll games in regards to what you can equip on your avatar.  While Oblivion and Skyrim are more aesthetically pleasing and have better mod support the two seem to pale in comparison when it came to loot finding, unique weapon design and equipment variety. Even the integration lore into the game-world of the two aforementioned games seemed watered down when compared to Morrowind.

Oh, I don't know. If you just look at the number of mods on the Nexus, and the rate at which new ones are being added to all TES games there, I'd guess that Skyrim is going to be a player for quite some time.

Still, who knows? Maybe the next one will be a combination of Skyrim's graphics, Oblivion's mechanics, and Morrowind's story and gameplay. The trifecta of wonderfulness.

What mods? Most stuff on nexus is graphical stuff without any impact on gameplay, the quest mods are linearly bland following the Skyrim model without any real RPG content, no choices, no impact on the world, no sense of achievement. Aside from niche places like this site it has no chance.

Going around looking at mountains is fine but mountains will look better in a few years and skyrim will be forgotten.

Well, that's true. Much of the early mods on the Nexus were dedicated to fixing bugs (and some of the later ones too) and adding in utilities, that sort of thing. The later mods are almost all retextures. I guess, when you look at it like that, it is dying down a bit. But even if you consider simple texture replacers as non-mods, that still indicates that there is a large group (and continually growing group) of people still interested in Skyrim... and then take a look at loverslab, where interesting new content is being added almost continually. I grant you there are few enough sites out there that cater to Skyrim mods... I don't know the numbers, but I'd take a stab in the dark and say that Nexus has the monopoly... and whether or not this apparent interest in Skyrim as a game (and assuming the interest isn't just in Skyrim as a platform to showcase artistic skills) will last beyond the release of the next TES game is really up in the air.

Maybe instead of saying "I think not" I should really be saying "I hope not" because, despite its many many MANY flaws, I really do love Skyrim. Moreso than Oblivion, and I just wish that Morrowind had some of Skyrim's elements.

The swinging and missing part of morrowind makes a decent amount of sense. It's hard for most people to grasp as most people have never held a sword, let alone swung one at an opponent, but the accuracy rolls in morrowind simulate a very real real world concept. Your chance of hitting your opponent go up depending on your skill with the weapon, and they go down with your opponent's skill in dodging and blocking. It's actually more complicated in the real world as well, where you have to deal with both your opponent's skill with their weapon allowing them to parry your attacks, and having to avoid falling into a pattern your opponent can take advantage of. It still looks like your swinging a stick with nothing happening, but it makes it a bit more fun if you know what's happening behind the screen. You'd be surprised how knowing more about the mechanics can make them more bearable, or even preferable.

You also don't have to level your weapon skills much to reliably hit things. You only need to get to around 45-50, and you can set up your class to have a starting 30-35 in a weapon skill. Or you can just stack agility.

I'd say Complaints about the swing/miss mechanic, 9 times out of 10, really boil down to "this game is too hard and I suck at it!" more than "brakingz my immersionz!" as they try to pass it off as. You could just add in a "bonk" or "klong" noise to mark a failed hit - or we could have Azura's booming voice yell "SKILL TOO LOW YOU FAIL!" or something - and it's not like that would make them happy. What they generally want here is to go out from the getgo using whatever skill choices they picked offhand in the hand-holding guided in-game tutorial, and then be able to kill whatever using twitch gaming, and the game doesn't let them do that. And as you mentioned in your first post, that's exactly what I loved about Morrowind when I first played, and why Skyrim and Oblivion are much less interesting to me.

The swinging and missing part of morrowind makes a decent amount of sense. It's hard for most people to grasp as most people have never held a sword, let alone swung one at an opponent, but the accuracy rolls in morrowind simulate a very real real world concept. Your chance of hitting your opponent go up depending on your skill with the weapon, and they go down with your opponent's skill in dodging and blocking. It's actually more complicated in the real world as well, where you have to deal with both your opponent's skill with their weapon allowing them to parry your attacks, and having to avoid falling into a pattern your opponent can take advantage of. It still looks like your swinging a stick with nothing happening, but it makes it a bit more fun if you know what's happening behind the screen. You'd be surprised how knowing more about the mechanics can make them more bearable, or even preferable.

You also don't have to level your weapon skills much to reliably hit things. You only need to get to around 45-50, and you can set up your class to have a starting 30-35 in a weapon skill. Or you can just stack agility.

I'd say Complaints about the swing/miss mechanic, 9 times out of 10, really boil down to "this game is too hard and I suck at it!" more than "brakingz my immersionz!" as they try to pass it off as. You could just add in a "bonk" or "klong" noise to mark a failed hit - or we could have Azura's booming voice yell "SKILL TOO LOW YOU FAIL!" or something - and it's not like that would make them happy. What they generally want here is to go out from the getgo and be able to kill whatever using twitch gaming, and the game doesn't let them do that. And as you mentioned in your first post, that's exactly what I loved about Morrowind when I first played, and why Skyrim and Oblivion are much less interesting to me.

Not quite. The concept of being able to kill whatever you want from the start is alienating - if I'm a level 1 character, there should be no way I can kill dragon, for example. But that doesn't mean I can't hit it.

From Chocolate Hammer:

"... the series’ abstract dice-rolling combats felt–with the advent of more precise graphics and more engaging action-game contemporaries–increasingly alienating and unsatisfying. Players could now see that they were holding up their end perfectly; when they clicked the mouse, they saw their spear go right the enemy’s bean, dead on the money. Hearing that damnable teeth-grinding whff that signaled a wasted attack felt like getting punished for something that was the character’s fault, not the players’. As far as cardinal RPG sins go, creating a deliberate and hostile disconnect between player and character ranks highly."

Not quite. The concept of being able to kill whatever you want from the start is alienating - if I'm a level 1 character, there should be no way I can kill dragon, for example. But that doesn't mean I can't hit it.

That's fine, you can be the 1/10 if you'd like.  ;)   But is it that you want to be able to hit something, or that you want to be able to hurt it?  If we could go back and retroactively add in Something to simulate a totally useless hit on something as you, the inexperienced Vvardenfell noob, flair wildly with your new sword, but that no matter how many useless hits you landed you could never, ever do any damage to certain enemies (90% of them at the start of the game, say) would that satisfy you?  

But then, in Skyrim you can kill a dragon at level 1, more or less.  No more than level 4 or so, I've definitely been that low by the time I get my first one.  The only time I ever felt in any danger during Skyrim was when I was level 8 and accidentally ran into the Dragonpriest in that open mountain grave, Kronos I think it was.  Admittedly I died, a lot, but I had no good backup save to go back to so I stuck with it and I found a way to kill him.  In MW I probably would never have been able to land a good hit.   

Oblivion the level of danger never changes, because of how much the world scales to you.  So you miss out not only on the "not able to kill anything but rats" part, but also the "I am a god amongst men" part as well, and that was terrible.  Skyrim addressed this . . . a bit . . . but it was never the same.  

Not quite. The concept of being able to kill whatever you want from the start is alienating - if I'm a level 1 character, there should be no way I can kill dragon, for example. But that doesn't mean I can't hit it.

That's fine, you can be the 1/10 if you'd like.  ;)   But is it that you want to be able to hit something, or that you want to be able to hurt it?  If we could go back and retroactively add in Something to simulate a totally useless hit on something as you, the inexperienced Vvardenfell noob, flair wildly with your new sword, but that no matter how many useless hits you landed you could never, ever do any damage to certain enemies (90% of them at the start of the game, say) would that satisfy you?  

But then, in Skyrim you can kill a dragon at level 1, more or less.  No more than level 4 or so, I've definitely been that low by the time I get my first one.  The only time I ever felt in any danger during Skyrim was when I was level 8 and accidentally ran into the Dragonpriest in that open mountain grave, Kronos I think it was.  Admittedly I died, a lot, but I had no good backup save to go back to so I stuck with it and I found a way to kill him.  In MW I probably would never have been able to land a good hit.   

Oblivion the level of danger never changes, because of how much the world scales to you.  So you miss out not only on the "not able to kill anything but rats" part, but also the "I am a god amongst men" part as well, and that was terrible.  Skyrim addressed this . . . a bit . . . but it was never the same.  

Hurting something is a nice perk, but what I'm really looking for is some feedback on my actions... something that says "yes, in fact you did swing your sword." My problem with Morrowind's combat is that (especially with bows, but really with any weapon) it never felt like I was swinging at the target... like I was somehow missing the hitbox by a centimeter or something. I don't expect to be able to hurt something... well, actually, I do, if it's small enough and weak enough (like the aforementioned scrib). To swing my weapon, hit a netch, and do no damage, I can accept... but to swing my weapon at a netch and miss is something else. One of my arguments with these ES games is that armor rating has a cap at all... if I'm swinging my bare fist at someone wearing steel plate, I shouldn't be doing any damage.

As for Oblivion's level scaling... it sucks royal ass. I really like how Morrowind did it, with no real level scaling at all... a rat was a rat regardless of my level... it wouldn't get replaced with an ancient vampire ever. It led to people (myself included) getting killed because they wandered into the wrong area, but that's more... not realistic, but it has more verisimilitude.

Not being able to hit a small, fast creature is okay, but not being able to hit, say, a kwama, simply because my skill number wasn't high enough bothered me.

But hey, it's just personal taste. Aside from that, Morrowind is generally tied with Skyrim as my favorite game of all time (not true - actually Starflight is my favorite game of all time... but Morrowind/Skyrim comes close).

The reason why morrowind is so good?

Because back then we had only the pc, which allowed devs to focus on content even more rather than worrying about making the game possible on the variety of game consoles.

Fact: Any exclusive game is going to be better than games that were ported to every single platform.

It was out on X-Box too.  I still have my copy somewhere, back when I was looking for good console games to play.  Just ended up playing KotOR all the time >.>

I had an Xbox copy for a while, but I think the disk was messed up or something.

Whenever I got anywhere close to Vivec, the game would crash.

So I bought it on PC, and never looked back.

I do keep some copies of games on both... for example, Half-Life 2 has some differences on Xbox and PC... most notably just before you first get the airboat.

There are other games too.

The XBox version was very glitchy.  I had it for a bit before buying a computer that could run MW (poor undergrad years), and it crashed all.the.time.  My first lesson in making lots of saves actually came on the XBox when it crashed in the process of auto-saving and I lost 8 hours of playtime because my save corrupted.  

I didn't make it very far on the x-box version.  It wasn't until Oblivion that I actually got into TES, and that's only after the first time I fought in the arena with the twin elves, and I realized I could drag them and make it look like they were going down on each other.  After that, I discovered mods for it, and it's been one big YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! since.  Except Skyrim crashes when I launch it and I can't be fucked to look through my mod list to figure out which one's crashing it.

I didn't make it very far on the x-box version. It wasn't until Oblivion that I actually got into TES, and that's only after the first time I fought in the arena with the twin elves, and I realized I could drag them and make it look like they were going down on each other. After that, I discovered mods for it, and it's been one big YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! since. Except Skyrim crashes when I launch it and I can't be fucked to look through my mod list to figure out which one's crashing it.

Load all mods with TES5Edit. It'll figure it out for you.

What mods? Most stuff on nexus is graphical stuff without any impact on gameplay, the quest mods are linearly bland following the Skyrim model without any real RPG content, no choices, no impact on the world, no sense of achievement. Aside from niche places like this site it has no chance.

Going around looking at mountains is fine but mountains will look better in a few years and skyrim will be forgotten.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58354/?

See? SEE? There are still some good mods coming out on Nexus!

Why, I can't remember the last time I saw a Lydia or Aela makeover!

They are very rare!

*sits down and puts head in hands, emits world-weary sigh*

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58354/?

See? SEE? There are still some good mods coming out on Nexus!

Why, I can't remember the last time I saw a Lydia or Aela makeover!

They are very rare!

*sits down and puts head in hands, emits world-weary sigh*

Yeah we don't have many of those, as a side effect I've seen modders come out of Skyrim and mod for Morrowind so maybe we'll get an even prettier Morrowind... with ultra sexy makeovers.

To be fair, it's not that I object to a mod that changes an NPC's appearance, far from it. I'm using one such mod myself (I actually don't know which mod does this, it just appeared one day after installing a bunch of stuff)... and it's not like I hate it or anything.

post-462261-0-19433800-1411474048_thumb.jpg

It also modifies the appearance of some other NPCs too. Anyone know what does this?

It's the fact that there already are a whole bunch of mods that do the same damn thing, and they all seem to want to convert badass warrior women into supermodels.

And I guess I shouldn't even be objecting to that either... personal taste, everybody's different, etc. etc. etc.

I just look at a mod like that and think... Why?

and they all seem to want to convert badass warrior women into supermodels.

Not all of those mods, and certainly not everyone likes to have characters to look too glamazon (or anime, or whatever). Let's face it -- most of us aren't satisfied with the limits of the vanilla game, and want to add more personality, detail and distinctiveness to the characters we create and play, and so many modders do to extend that palette -- nobody wants a cookie-cutter character just like in one of those Korean MMOs I once played and ground in.

Oblivion without mods sucks. It's almost unplayable. It's mind numbingly boring.

I always got lost in Morrowind and ended up forgetting all of the quests and just finding random stuff to do. Couldn't do that with oblivion since quest locks and Skyrim doesn't reward you for it. Morrowind was just fun cause you adventure was always different than other peoples when you talked about it. With Skyrim it's just like "yeah I did that too" or "It's easier with a bow from stealth."

Skyrim is a videogame without mods. I mean it works for the most part but it isn't particularly fun to play asides from just hitting stuff since the combat is ass but better than Oblivion. With mods it's fun since modders put more time into there quests than Bethesda did. Since Skyrim is better than Oblivion in most areas it gets a lot more praise than it deserves.

Better off just sticking to FNV/TTW till FO4 comes out. IMHO

Archived