Manually Remaking ECE presets in RaceMenu -- Difficulty?

NNS10

Except it isn't. Even with the naked eye you are still able to spot some edges here and there.

Your right, it's not 'perfect' (but then again I doubt anything in the history of mankind has ever had or shown a perfect sphere before)

But it's a dam sight better than something like this, which is a repurposed cube made to look like a sphere (AKA: Vertex editing a low poly horrible topology object to make it look like something else)

QkVUPk5.jpg

I still don't get what your point is. ECE has vertex edit, so you can make a blocky face with edges and spikes look less blocky. That much is true. Yes, you are still able to see those edges and spikes, but they don't stick out as much. And you will always be able to see that I think - as far as I know it isn't possible to create a sphere with less than infinite vertices.

Yeah, there is always room for improvement but ECE has the edge here (no pun intended) as of now. I'm pretty sure that even a very high poly head would create nasty jagged lines every now and then depending on how far you push those sliders.

Nah, I'm just saying that the real solution to fixing pointy chins and low poly heads is the ability to create your own HD head mesh or be able to use an exisitng HD mesh.

Both of which is improbably hard to do for ECE.

Whereas, with RM it does support Higher poly meshes that can get rid of those for ya. (multiple types have been made, Lady Head, New female head mesh, Citrus heads etc...)

Though I agree that I probably got caught up on this argument too much and digressed from the main topic so I apologize to OP for that.

It's all about the vertex editor, make some coffee and just take your time.  At first it's hard to make a nice face with CME, but give it time.

"take your time" is the key phrase here. While I love the vertex editor it probably took me about 2 hours to get my character's chin to the level of "not god-awful".

What do the colors mean on normal maps?

I'm editing and moving around the scars from the BI Phenotype resource normal maps, but the scar layers themselves seem to have colors from the base normal map.

This is resulting in odd looking scars when I move them around. In-game the height of the scar (outward / inward) changes depending on the lighting.

For anyone that cares, I ended up doing the normal maps another way. The scar layers on the BI Phenotypes aren't very clean (probably not the originals), so I decided to convert diffuse scars to normal map.

DA Normal Map Converter was great for doing this and was less buggy and easier to deal with than the Nvidia normal map filter.

• 3 months later...
Guest Miss Fortune

guys i wanna ask somethng, where is the option for vertext edit in showracemenu ?

i'm using the latest racemenu and ECE :D thx

Just keeping scrolling to the end (the far right). You'll see the vertex editor and then your face will don a grid and that's the vertex editor.

As far as I know, you cannot use the vertex editor if you have both ECE and Racemenu installed on the same profil. I could be wrong since I'm not too familiar with RM.

guys i wanna ask somethng, where is the option for vertext edit in showracemenu ?

i'm using the latest racemenu and ECE :D thx

Just keeping scrolling to the end (the far right). You'll see the vertex editor and then your face will don a grid and that's the vertex editor.

As far as I know, you cannot use the vertex editor if you have both ECE and Racemenu installed on the same profil. I could be wrong since I'm not too familiar with RM.

Oh whoops, good catch. My mistake, I didn't see the racemenu part. :P

Then yeah, Miss Fortune is correct. There is no vertex editor when using RaceMenu and ECE together. And I wouldn't recommend using them both together any ways now, as they are incompatible with each other now (the newer versions of RaceMenu are at least).

Either stick with ECE only, or try the new RaceMenu beta. It has a vertex editor in it now.

I tried using RaceMenu to recreate an Asian-like character I had recently.  In the end, I got frustrated several hours later.  I uninstalled RaceMenu and stuck with ECE since.

In the new RaceMenu v3, which is currently in beta, you can import the entire head of your character or any NPC and use it on your new one, plus being able to continue tweaking it.

I tried using RaceMenu to recreate an Asian-like character I had recently.  In the end, I got frustrated several hours later.  I uninstalled RaceMenu and stuck with ECE since.

In the new RaceMenu v3, which is currently in beta, you can import the entire head of your character or any NPC and use it on your new one, plus being able to continue tweaking it.

Wow, that sounds really awesome. Will it automatically know which head morph to use?

Wow, that sounds really awesome. Will it automatically know which head morph to use?

No, it simply imports the whole shape as if it was one morph. Instead of the femalehead.nif you have installed, this will be your new "base shape" from where you can start morphing.

No, it simply imports the whole shape as if it was one morph. Instead of the femalehead.nif you have installed, this will be your new "base shape" from where you can start morphing.

Hmm... so does that mean all presets on an imported head will look wrong on new characters?

Hmm... so does that mean all presets on an imported head will look wrong on new characters?

Technically, yes if you load a preset on an imported head, it will look wrong because presets are only slider settings. Just like trying to import a Nord Female preset on a Male Nord.

But the new magic works the other way round. You simply import ANY head and it is 100% identical to the original. No need for the preset, and no need for custom headmeshes either. You just need to adjust all the stuff like eyes, hair, makeup etc. yourself. Of course you can still use all the usual sliders, based on the new imported head.

So my question on the topic - how do you export a headmesh without RaceMenu?

Loading RM + ECE both in their latest versions works, but RM will just hijack the game race menu even if ECE is loaded last. So no access to ECE features other than the race itself.

I already tried to deactivate RM and run with ECE only, then import the ECE preset and save the game. Now if you load that save with RM activated, the game is completely broken - permanent 100% opaque fog which only goes away briefly if you enter the race menu and zoom in/out.

Not to mention that RM will overwrite the ECE sliders of the character.

Mah bro. I signed in just to let you know: It is possible. Like you, I come from ECE, but I wanted tats on one of my characters, so I had to change to RaceMenu. I figured it couldn't be too hard, maybe I dont have to start over. I was wrong. I soon realized that making asian characters on RM was way harder than on ECE( which makes perfect sense, if you consider the origin of the modders)but i kept trying. I basically had to start from scratch with a screenshot I took by mistake as my only guide, but I eventually prevailed. She ended up being a little different, less asian for sure, but meh. When I got my laptop I started with RaceMenu and I've figured out most of the tricks to make asian characters look good:

Certain lips( 12, 13 and 17 for me. do remember to turn the width down to about -1) and certain eyes( 2,3 and 8, but particularily 3 with a -1 in Lower Eyelid Height and Eye angle ranging from  .50 to 1 depending on the other facial features.) lend themselves to be asian-like.

For the shape, try lowering the face shape tp about -35 for a shorter, wider face and lower the Cheekbone Width as you see fit. Keep the Cheekbone Height at zero or lower it a bit.

That, along with correct selection of Head Shape(maybe 4 or 5, maybe 0 is fine), will yield results similar to ECE, I believe.

Hopefully I helped, sorry if the numbers are not exactly right, although in theory they should be, since I dont have anything for mouths or eyes or anything. Also, as a general tip:  ignore the duplicate sliders, they are either marginal of will plain screw up the piece they change( eyes and mouths have two type sliders, the second one should be left in 0 or itll look fucked up). 

I tested it and, assuming someone clarifies the morph settings, it does seem you can recreate characters through the sliders. 

I wrote down all the slider settings in ECE and attempted to match them to something in RM. They all seemed to match something, though there are duplicate sliders in RM and it's not clear to me which were the correct sliders to match to (and whether it makes a difference).

post-204633-0-96946100-1420264386.jpg

The comparison highlights two things:

1) RM's showracemenu ighting option isn't as flattering as ECE's ;). In seriousness, it's more that RM's lighting option is too harsh.

2) The shape of the face and mouth (maybe) are off. I think this is due to the morphs not matching.

I'd like to match the morphs, but I don't really get it. I think there are morphs for the Head, Mouth, Eye, and Nose, which are handled by the "Shape" slider settings. However, I'm not clear which of the Shape options correspond to the ECE morphs. Head Shape has 5 options while Mouth Shape has 17.

Does anyone have insight into that and can clarify?

1) RM's showracemenu ighting option isn't as flattering as ECE's  ;). In seriousness, it's more that RM's lighting option is too harsh.

Probably because you opened the menu in a lighted exterior. Furthermore, you could ask Expired to add some lighting modes, or attempt by yourself to tinker with the mod to adjust the correct lighting option.

1) RM's showracemenu ighting option isn't as flattering as ECE's  ;). In seriousness, it's more that RM's lighting option is too harsh.

Probably because you opened the menu in a lighted exterior. Furthermore, you could ask Expired to add some lighting modes, or attempt by yourself to tinker with the mod to adjust the correct lighting option.

Well the ECE lighting is dark yellow, same like his "face light" mod.

Either this is optimized for character creation in Helgen (without LaL), or for those japanese ENBs where everything is bright and shiny like a detergent commercial ;)

I greatly prefer the white RM lighting, as you can see much better how your character REALLY looks like. Same reason i use UNBLEAK ENB with naturally saturated colors, and i wish there was a "Face Light" mod with white lights as well.

1. RM does not apply Morphs the same way that ECE does. (As stated by Expired multiple times)

2. RM has every single fucking morph ECE has and more.

3. Base Head Shape in ECE is different (No it's not the vanilla head)

4. My previous post & Earendil's helped explain the process needed to GET THE SAME EXACT FACE INTO RM3. If you want an easier way, maybe ask the ECE devs to have an export face option or learn to use CK tricks.

4. No, Your not going to get the SAME EXACT FACE IN RM as in ECE by just putting the slider values for the morphs the same. Look at points 1 and 2 for why.

5. There's 2 #4's on purpose.

Edit:

Wrong thread, my reference to my previous post wasn't made here so I'll post a link here instead:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/39343-racemenu-v3b/?p=1036369

Archived