Do it Dirty: Fix that Skyrim Neck Seam!

Kendo 2

Downloaded.  Something else you might try is changing the values before you body slide them.  It's 2:30am here and I'm going to bed.  I'll get to this tomorrow morning early....and I AM fantastic. :D

Sheesh, Caliente's inbox is full, commented on the CBBE page (currently holding my breath.) Ya, late it is, im here in Texas as well. Sleep, however, is for the week (next week that is.) Thanks again

It couldn't be this, right? The line directly underneath Num UV Sets is BS Num UV Sets, and the tooltip reads: "Bethesda's version of this field for nif versions 20.2.0.7 and up. Only a single bit denotes whether UVs are present." The value is indeed 1, so if this is the proper field to use having set the startup version to 20.2.0.7, then all of the changes in your guide were already done for this mesh before i started. In which case what the hell gives with the neck seamage?

I looked at your nif this morning.  Right off the bat:

post-66546-0-39654900-1410110638_thumb.jpg post-66546-0-23473600-1410110649_thumb.jpg

If that doesn't address the seam issue then you need to check your sources for the msn normals you're using.  If you are mixing and matching normals that will cause a seam.

Here's the vanilla femalebody_0 nif.  Everything (and I do mean everything) in the nifs you're using need to match the vanila standard.  The reason I didn't catch the Vertext Color snafu is because it's correct in the UNP meshes I'm already using.  I didn't think to look for it. :P

vanilla_femalebody_0.nif

From Ousnius on the CBBE comment page:

"Body meshes (or any skin meshes like hands, feet) have their "BS Num UV Sets" at 1 and mesh normals disabled (or should have for consistent seams in-game).
It's at 1 and not greyed out for me, I just use the latest stable NifSkope build. Settings: Start-up Version - 20.2.0.7"

I'm thinking the latest Nifskope includes this Bethesda-specific UV Sets field and hopefully im the only dummy that didnt look right underneath and put 2&2 together. I'll make those changes you mentioned and come back and bother you some more if everything isn't absolutely, perfectly perfect in my heavily modified game. Thanks so much for all this

• 3 months later...

Maybe I'm a dumb, but when I open the mesh with nifskope I don't see the NIHeader voice O-o

After you open the mesh in Nifscope, click on the VIEW button at the top and from the drop-down list, hover the mouse over BLOCK LIST then click on SHOW BLOCKS IN LIST.

You will now see the 'NiHeader' in the BLOCK LIST window.

If you want to change the block list to 'tree view' then just repeat the steps and when you hover over BLOCK LIST, click on SHOW BLOCKS IN TREE.

When in Tree View, the NiHeader is hidden so you need to switch to List.

soo, these values sould be the same for any given nif, not limited to bodies? the reason i ask is almost any nif of my 250+ installed mods has [bS Num UV Sets] at 4097 [Has Normals] on and [Has Vertex Colors] off, and fixing thix will be a mindnumbing horror w/o equal...

soo, these values sould be the same for any given nif, not limited to bodies? the reason i ask is almost any nif of my 250+ installed mods has [bS Num UV Sets] at 4097 [Has Normals] on and [Has Vertex Colors] off, and fixing thix will be a mindnumbing horror w/o equal...

Only for the skin parts, not the clothing/armor.

And yeah, once I realized what was going on I was almost depressed.  I only had about 25 meshes to fix but it was a pain.  What I do now is fix them immediately after download.

• 2 weeks later...

Only for the skin parts, not the clothing/armor.

And yeah, once I realized what was going on I was almost depressed.  I only had about 25 meshes to fix but it was a pain.  What I do now is fix them immediately after download.

So clothing/armor should have "Has Normals" = Yes and UV "BS Num UV Sets" = 4097?

I was trying to figure out what "Has Normals" does and Google returned me two pages that explicitly instructed people to set those values.

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Skyrim_common_mod_issues

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4162

So clothing/armor should have "Has Normals" = Yes and UV "BS Num UV Sets" = 4097?

For the most part yes, but different TriShapes have different values.  Glowing sections of nifs or those that rely on heavy emittance or emissive values will be different from the sections that don't.  That's just one 'for instance'.  The best way to know is to look at a vanilla nif that no one has jacked with, see what the UV Set and Has Normals are and make your nif match.

I was trying to figure out what "Has Normals" does and Google returned me two pages that explicitly instructed people to set those values.

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Skyrim_common_mod_issues

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4162

For Skyrim, character skin does not have 'yes' to Has Normals.  Extract a vanilla nif from the game's BSA that has skin and look at it.  However it is, that's what modded bodies need to be.  Anything else is wrong.

And half of what that guy said on that Nexus wiki link is just hack artist bullshit.  I'd like to see him update the tangents on the glowing parts of the daedric armor or the flame atronack creature and get that broken shit to work right after the fact.

Looks to me like you got the head normal from one mod and the body from another.  I downloaded your zip and I'll get back to later tonight.

I'm using the full texture set from SG Female Textures Renewal. Maybe the texture set isn't 100% seamless? Or I did something wrong. Either way, my meshes had the gray-colored issue (Has Normals = Yes), along with all the other settings, that you indicated are problems.

I haven't seen any screenshots though, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see before/after fixing the problem.

@nanashi50

I looked at the files you sent.  They are correct, everything is set to the vanilla standard as it should be.  That still leaves plenty of possibilities for what is going on; you're seeing the neck seam present in the vanilla game (nothing Bethesda makes is ever truly seamless), you have mismatched femalebody_1_s and femalebody_1_sk files (since you said you got the _msn's all from the same source), the _msn's are mismatched from the source (not made the same way when the meshes were baked) OR the body meshes themselves are jacked (though I did look at the _0 version from top to bottom and everything is as it should be).  Anything is possible.

I don't have an explanation for the neck seam you're getting.  Are you using the vanilla Bethesda head mesh, or a modded one?  If you're using one added by a mod get rid of it.  Anyway, sorry the tutorial isn't getting you the result I did or other people are.  Sum' times it juss bees dat way.

@nanashi50

I looked at the files you sent.  They are correct, everything is set to the vanilla standard as it should be.  That still leaves plenty of possibilities for what is going on; you're seeing the neck seam present in the vanilla game (nothing Bethesda makes is ever truly seamless), you have mismatched femalebody_1_s and femalebody_1_sk files (since you said you got the _msn's all from the same source), the _msn's are mismatched from the source (not made the same way when the meshes were baked) OR the body meshes themselves are jacked (though I did look at the _0 version from top to bottom and everything is as it should be).  Anything is possible.

I don't have an explanation for the neck seam you're getting.  Are you using the vanilla Bethesda head mesh, or a modded one?  If you're using one added by a mod get rid of it.  Anyway, sorry the tutorial isn't getting you the result I did or other people are.  Sum' times it juss bees dat way.

Thanks for checking it out. I'm using ECE, which has either a custom head mesh or a morph. Not sure which, but I'm planning to continue using it until at least RaceMenu officially goes v3.

Do you happen to have a screenshot of what the mesh fix looks like in-game? I'm curious how big a difference it is and what I'm missing out on.

Some little thread hickjacking, lol.

Ethereal Elven Overhaul causes a very common neck seam roo, I'm not sure if you posted this already. This is due to the complexion presets. it shouldn't be too hard to fix, you will notice that there are a couple presets that don't have this issue, so you only need to open both files in Photoshop and copy&paste the neck area in a way that matches properly.

• 4 months later...

When you open the mesh go to the View dropdown on the toolbar and select Block Detail (or the F3 key).  NiHeader will be the first one listed.

Many thanks Kendo!! Some of the process is familiar to me, but there are a couple of new steps I've never seen before - thank-you for this tutorial! :)

*I had this thread recommended to me by MissLexi - many thanks to her also for her help with this! ^_^

Archived