Graphic card questions

strawb

I have a AM2 board at the moment  Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H It has a pci 2 slot for the graphic card. I have brought a Assus hd radeon 7770. Tried to intall the card. Error I got on monitor was it exceeded the range. So am I right in thinking that the card has exceeded the band width of the board ? Have done a google search and the concensus seems to be that pcie 3.0 is ok in a pci 2 slot. So I am a bit stumped at the moment.

Ok moving right on to next question folks. Is there any real gain in a SLI board playing Skyrim or will a good am3 single slot board do the job ok?  And  adding to this question would the radeon 770 be good enough on it`s own in a am3 board. That is if I can get it to run,

Cheers

Guest carywinton

Out of range on the monitor can mean two possibilities, either the resolution of the card setting is too high for the monitor or the frequency is too high. Most monitors can handle a frequency of 72KHZ, but some older ones, "CRT" type could only do 60-70KHZ. Resolutions of 800x600 and 1024x768 are low enough for testing and should get you a desktop without any issues, from there you can use the AMD Catalyst Control Center to try and bump things up a bit at a time. I highly doubt it is a Motherboard issue at all. Let me know if I can help you further.

Kind Regards,

CaryWinton

Thanks for the replies folks. Have got the coloured stripes of dead card on the screen, A green one when the computer fires up normaly untill it gets to windows and stalls. Pink horozontal rectangles accross the screen im the Bios screen. Did a google search and this card has as a Asus 7770 has many reports of the same problem. So lesson learnt should have checked for issues before buying.

Cheers Strawb

Personally I would switch to a new AM3+ motherboard but that's me.  If the monitor can read 1080p it should be fine, any lower than that it might get tearing and fracturing.  Your computers symptoms seem to me like it arrived DOA.  I agree with Rayblue; I would get it RMA'd if you can.  Also now I know this is me but you might want to consider upgrading to an AM3+.  The FX-8350 for example is doing rather well.  You're going to need an AMD 990 though.

Archived