Star Trek teleportation soon a reality?...Einstein maybe wrong?

Rarwurf!

I don't remember where I saw it [some science TV program a year or so ago] but scientists have successfully 'teleported' a light photon several miles, cloning a duplicate of it at the receiver end. Only lasted a nano-nano second but... WOW!

Actually, what they teleported was a 'bit' of information, meaning a single 1 or 0.

Teleporting photons and atoms by creating an exact copy at the other side has also been done, but other photons containing the information of the original need to cross the distance.

Also, for them to teleport the bit, they needed to send quantum-entangled photons to both ends of the telportation site, which means the photons had to cross the distance before the information teleportation occurred. People have literally been doing this for over a decade.

Finally, because the photons had to cross the intervening distance, information did not exit the light-cone, which hasn't disproved Einstein in anything except being skeptical of a theory that made no sense.

Also, @Fat Kyubey, scientists are in the process of building a Heisenberg conpensator. I don't remember where the article is, but a scientific group reported that they could find both the position and momentum of a particle with a careful use of microwave radiation. 

EDIT: Got it! http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140516092303.htm

If there was a replicated copy of you on the other side it still wouldn't be you and you'd cease to exist. Copying a proton is one thing, creating a mass collection of trillions of living cells without messing it up and having to find a way to preserve one's "self" is something else altogether. As far as we can tell you can't teleport the memories your brain stored prior to teleporting.  Having a bunch of unlearned dummies at the other end isn't going to help anybody. :P

I think the efficient transfer of information is going to be more important than the transportation of materials. Only my opinion, but, the building blocks of life as we know it are very common whereas techknowledgy advanced information is a rare commodity. I hope they nail down quantum entanglement before they go for any matter transporting. If we can have entanglement tech it would easily open the doors to our solar system. Many of the space probes and rovers we use take minutes if not hours to send messages to in order to get them to perform a task and then hours to wait for a response, If we are going to launch living people to the stars we need to be able to send information at a much faster pace than the normal theories of time-space allow. Though, i teleporter would work in most cases as well, but, it's a far more a complicated techknowledgy and sounds like it will be far more prone to errors. I think we should focus on what we know we can do before we leap over ideas that may offer several solutions. 

We won't need teleporters anyway. What we need are ships that can actually approach light speed. At 95% of the speed of light the crew would experience a pretty noticeable time dilation. The nearest star is about 40 light years away, which means a ship that fast would take less than 45 years to get there (well within a human lifetime), yet the passengers would think only a few years have passed. Meaning that in one average human lifetime we could actually travel many light years from Earth (about 8000 or so?). How many Earth-like planets could be within that range?

Guest corespore

I think the efficient transfer of information is going to be more important than the transportation of materials. Only my opinion, but, the building blocks of life as we know it are very common whereas techknowledgy advanced information is a rare commodity. I hope they nail down quantum entanglement before they go for any matter transporting. If we can have entanglement tech it would easily open the doors to our solar system. Many of the space probes and rovers we use take minutes if not hours to send messages to in order to get them to perform a task and then hours to wait for a response, If we are going to launch living people to the stars we need to be able to send information at a much faster pace than the normal theories of time-space allow. Though, i teleporter would work in most cases as well, but, it's a far more a complicated techknowledgy and sounds like it will be far more prone to errors. I think we should focus on what we know we can do before we leap over ideas that may offer several solutions. 

We won't need teleporters anyway. What we need are ships that can actually approach light speed. At 95% of the speed of light the crew would experience a pretty noticeable time dilation. The nearest star is about 40 light years away, which means a ship that fast would take less than 45 years to get there (well within a human lifetime), yet the passengers would think only a few years have passed. Meaning that in one average human lifetime we could actually travel many light years from Earth (about 8000 or so?). How many Earth-like planets could be within that range?

If time dilatation proves correct the span of a human lifetime at 95% SOL (speed of light) means that that human lifetime would be thousands of years real time. That would open up a massive chunk of the galaxy.

In Science there is no i can't or imposible or absolute, even laws of physics that where concider absolute truth few years back, they later discover it was after all posible or not.

Where long way from understanding the law of physics and math behind it all ,still many mistery's have to be solved this can take 10-100-1000 years we prolly only know a fraction of how it all works.

In Science there is no i can't or imposible or absolute, even laws of physics that where concider absolute truth few years back, they later discover it was after all posible or not.

Where long way from understanding the law of physics and math behind it all ,still many mistery's have to be solved this can take 10-100-1000 years we prolly only know a fraction of how it all works.

Some things are known with absolute certainty. Science refines knowledge, sometimes new knowledge overturns old assumptions, but that doesn't mean "everything we know" can suddenly be turned upside down tomorrow. We aren't going to wake up to a new discovery that says the world is flat, or that the sun revolves around the earth.

Someone needs to point out that entanglement does not allow for FTL communications, no matter what they said in ME2. ;)

You can measure the state of your particle in an entangled pair, but you can't control it. Control is necessary for communications.

Correct, but it is much faster and allows the signal to be stronger. Technically the signal isn't FTL because it isn't traveling in time\space, so in theory it's not violating any theories of light speed.

Technically it's not FTL because no information is transferred. Taking an entangled pair (or a bucket of them) and sending half of them off with your buddy to a place a light year a way does not provide a means of communications. It's no different from you tuning your radio to the same station as your friend across town. You're both listening to the same station (measuring the same thing), but you can't use this to communicate with your friend.

It will not allow instant communications between earth and remote probes and such, as someone suggested earlier in the thread.

This is called the no-communications theorem, and no experiment thus far has proven it incorrect. If it is proven incorrect, it means that QM is wrong -- the same QM that predicted entanglement in the first place.

Who would want teleport anyway, wouldnt you just die and copy of you would be rebuild in the place of teleport? :-/

"If time dilatation proves correct the span of a human lifetime at 95% SOL (speed of light) means that that human lifetime would be thousands of years real time. That would open up a massive chunk of the galaxy."

But those who would travel would never be able to come back, times would chance too fast and they would be forgotten.

Technology would advance immensly even at "short" trips and communications would be impossible due time difference. it would be 1-way trip but perhaps worth it. :shy:

"If time dilatation proves correct...

I know not you originally, but I missed it. Time dilation was proven correct with experimentation in the 30s. Subsequent experiments have confirmed with greater accuracy. GPS satellites even correct for it; if they didn't, GPS wouldn't work.

Oh wow...I never thought about that.  Currently CPU processing is handled by microprocessors, gold and silicon inlaid filaments etc.  This however...that could potentially increase processing power by huge amounts.  We could be looking at a type of information feed that make even an expensive high speed fiber-optics look inadequate.  Fascinating.

Hah no, not trying to crush anything.

There are still some really cool things about quantum entanglement. The media really lets the hype run away with them when they report on breakthroughs though, and it takes away from how cool the doors that are being opened actually are. Einstein is still completely safe, though. ;)

Einsteins theory are still completely safe?...it's if you realy want that, why(yeh saw this ;) one hehe)?

Just for some discussion :)

If we want it to be safe, then we don't have progress or at least maybe better understanding, you want that?

I don't say all progress is for the greater good, but to hope(this is what i make of your completely safe remark maybe i miss interpeted this?) einsteins theory are safe is holding back progress of understanding at least and maybe improve on theory's of physics and universe.

I hope they proof many of his theory are wrong in hopes of many are posible instead of imposible.

I only want proof thats positive for us now not the negative ones :D

The thought of teleportation like this is kind of terrifying. If it's anything like the transporters on Star Trek, it's not like it moves you bodily from one location into your destination, it breaks you apart and rebuilds you. Basically it's a fax machine that shreds the original, which means you die, and a 100% accurate copy of you takes over your life and thinks it's you. Even if they do invent one, I'll never go in it.

Sheldon from Big Bang Theory explained it best.

Sheldon: Here's the problem with teleportation.
Leonard: Lay it on me.
Sheldon: Assuming a device could be invented, which would identify the quantum state of matter of an individual in one location and transmit that pattern to a distant location for reassembly. You would not have actually transported the individual, you would have destroyed him in one location and recreated him in another.
Leonard: How about that.
Sheldon: Personally, I would never use a transporter because the original Sheldon would have to be dissintegrated in order to create a new Sheldon

Alright, new idea. Instead of teleportation why not use the device to create a copy of the person at the new location? Something like a passive quantum scanner that can send adequate amounts of info to re-create the original human without needed to atomize the original. Then just add a mark like a tattoo on the face during construction to distinguish one from the other? 

That would be better. How about give the copies a rather short lifespan? Heck, you could send armies of copies of the baddest soldier(s) ever.

Alright, new idea. Instead of teleportation why not use the device to create a copy of the person at the new location? Something like a passive quantum scanner that can send adequate amounts of info to re-create the original human without needed to atomize the original. Then just add a mark like a tattoo on the face during construction to distinguish one from the other?

That would be better. How about give the copies a rather short lifespan? Heck, you could send armies of copies of the baddest soldier(s) ever.

But are not the copies conscious too?

They'd be an exact copy of a person, so yes, they'd be a real person. They just wouldn't be the original person. I'd be against giving them a short life span, or of copying thousands, that'd be inhumane and would only cheapen the value of life. I'd also only involve those who sign a waiver or something that says only the original gets to keep their life. That way you don't end up with legal battles over who gets to be married to the original's spouse, or which one is the parent of the original's children.

There's a movie where copies like this happen. I don't want to say the name because this would spoil the ending. Basically you have a guy that steps into a machine that copies him. He ends up killing his double pretty much immediately every time he goes through (it's part of the plot). The really chilling thought is that he never knows which one he'll be when he steps into the machine; the one stepping out, or the one dying.

In the case of a machine that copies you and sends your copy to some distant corner of the universe, presumably with no way to get back, you're faced with a similar situation. You can either be the one that steps out of the machine, or the one that gets stuck somewhere with no way to get home. And even if you could, you don't have a life to go back to anymore. That life belongs to someone else, and you have to start all over again from scratch.

So you tell me. Would you step into that machine?

Guest Mogie56

Only if I had nothing to loose, if your starting over from scratch and you screwed up the first time I'd say yes.

3D printing :P