Weird Ctd Issue

I have this weird CTD issue which I'm trying to get a better understanding of. Often, when loading a save (let's call this save #1) I CTD just when the save has loaded and I should be entering the game. I keep trying to load it, and it's still the same.

Then, instead of loading save #1 I load save #2, and it works. I then immediately proceed to load save #1 (from "within" save #2) and lo and behold it works. Flawlessly. Every time.

Does someone with better in-depth knowledge of this game than me have any clue how this is even possible? If I load save #1 as the first save it should, in my book, load the exact same binary data as if I load it after having loaded save #2.

I'm unable to provide any logs or load orders at the moment, but I'm more interested in how this - generally - is even possible, because where I'm coming from (~15yrs work experience as a software engineer) it shouldn't be.

I've run into this issue as well. I think what might be happening is something that is dependent on something else is getting loaded before it's dependency. Now that I'm thinking about it this may be a multi threading issue. Doesn't the Skyrim ini have a setting for turning on or off mutli threading on loading files? If so turning it off might fix the issue but it might also create longer load times. This might also explain why auto saves on loading a new zone or more susceptible to corruption

Edit: The setting in question is bUseBackgroundFileLoader  but in my current ini I don't have it. I don't know is it's on or off by default. On my old system I did allot of ini tweaking on my new one I haven't needed to bother.

That's pretty common issue. The usual workaround is using console to load a small cell from the main menu and only after that load the actual save. For example, "coc qasmoke", loads a test cell that's relatively small and generally won't fail to load. Afaik (and I could be wrong :P), it's due to Skyrim failing to allocate extra memory during load, which then might work properly once ingame, hence loading a small area first works around it. The memory patch included with the latest SKSE also seems to mitigate this somewhat.

That's pretty common issue. The usual workaround is using console to load a small cell from the main menu and only after that load the actual save. For example, "coc qasmoke", loads a test cell that's relatively small and generally won't fail to load. Afaik (and I could be wrong :P), it's due to Skyrim failing to allocate extra memory during load, which then might work properly once ingame, hence loading a small area first works around it. The memory patch included with the latest SKSE also seems to mitigate this somewhat.

Interesting. I'll try the console trick for myself later on and see how it works. I'm already using the SKSE memory patch.

I've run into this issue as well. I think what might be happening is something that is dependent on something else is getting loaded before it's dependency. Now that I'm thinking about it this may be a multi threading issue. Doesn't the Skyrim ini have a setting for turning on or off mutli threading on loading files? If so turning it off might fix the issue but it might also create longer load times. This might also explain why auto saves on loading a new zone or more susceptible to corruption.

If it's a multi-threading issue the thread-synchronization in this game (well, at least the code that loads stuff) must be crappy indeed, to put it mildly. I'll try to turn that off (if I can find that option) to see if it changes anything.

I've had this quite a lot, too, but I've now got into the habit of making a save in the Live Another Life prison cell whenever I start a new game. I use the console to make the save, so I can give it a name I'll recognise. That save is then my first base every time I fire up Skyrim. I load that first, then my most recent save. It never fails. But if I just select Continue from the main menu, it almost always CTDs just at the end of the load the first one or two times.

Guest _kuraiko

I am having the same issue aswell. I read somewhere that it was related to the latest SKSE build but don't quote me on that. Just loading a smaller cell at the beginning of the game seems to fix it as already  mentioned above. At least that's what I do (coc ctest in title screen then load your crashing save).

I read somewhere that it was related to the latest SKSE build but don't quote me on that.

Just to note, I was having the issue before I switched to the new SKSE. I don't actually know if I'm still having it afterwards, because I just automatically use my safety load system now :)

Tried the console workaround and it does indeed work every single time. Could it perhaps mean that some cross-save assets (that are almost always loaded) fail to load when I load save #1, but as soon as I load a "working" save or use "coc qasmoke" those assets are then successfully loaded, which means save #1 will now properly load? (I'm having a hard time fathoming a memory allocation problem seeing as I have plenty of RAM, but with this engine and its quirks.. who knows?  :D )

Archived