IGNORED

Geck Edits Not Working

Guest Unimportant

Guest Unimportant

So, I've been trying all day to do something relatively simple; meaning I'm either being incredibly stupid or the Geck is bugged. I say it's about even odds at this point for either one. Or maybe it's both. I'm new to modding.

Anyway, I've been trying to modify the Lil' Devil (GRA). At first, I created a plugin with GRA as a master, but none of the changes appeared in-game. When that didn't work I was confused; I'd successfully altered some custom weapons I'd downloaded off Nexus without any problems. After a while of randomly clicking and unclicking .esps I decided the problem was because I hadn't altered the weapon in the file it was located in: the custom weapons were in plugins, but the Lil' Devil was in a master. Then, after spending an hour or so trying to figure out how to set an .esm as an active file in the Geck, I downloaded the Geck Power Up, changed the GRA master file directly, and proceeded to go into the game and find that it still hadn't changed anything.

So, is there a special way to modify non-custom weapons that I'm missing? Or should the changes be working? According to the Geck, the changes are all saved and ready to go; but somehow the game is still calling up the old version of the weapon that shouldn't even exist anymore.

I could just make a copy of the Lil' Devil without replacing it, add the changes to that, and save it as a custom weapon to be added via console. The main problem being that I then lose WMX compatibility, and I'm still too new to all of this to trust myself with trying to make them work together OR making my own weapon mods that don't screw up the gun's stats, let alone the model.

Also, sorry if this is under the wrong category. I figured that this is more technical support than a non-adult mod; if I'm wrong feel free to move it.

Try looking at things in FNVEdit as it should show you right away what's going on, it's possible another mod between your esp and the original is also editing something in that item and copying what you are trying to change back to default values.

Guest Unimportant

Try looking at things in FNVEdit as it should show you right away what's going on, it's possible another mod between your esp and the original is also editing something in that item and copying what you are trying to change back to default values.

Welp. WMX was changing it back. Feeling stupid now.

Thanks, this should work. 

Edit: adding a plugin after WMX removed modding compatibility, and modifying the weapon directly in the WMX DLC patch must've screwed up and created an orphaned record, because it gives me the no cursor/menu/fakefullscreen on start up bug. Apparently the geck doesn't like me editing plugins that have an .esp as a master.

Any idea how I might pull this off?

Edit2: I wonder if using Power Up will work.

Edit3: Nope. Oh well. At least now I know why things aren't working.

The GECK won't allow non-ESM flagged plugins as masters. It'll delete all references to them on save. You need to use FNVEdit to set the ESM flag on your .esps before loading them into the GECK, then remove the flag before running the game to avoid load order issues.

Guest Unimportant

The GECK won't allow non-ESM flagged plugins as masters. It'll delete all references to them on save. You need to use FNVEdit to set the ESM flag on your .esps before loading them into the GECK, then remove the flag before running the game to avoid load order issues.

Wow. I wish I'd known I could do that earlier. That sounds like it would be easier and quicker than what I ended up doing, but I did eventually get it to work through Geck Power Up.

Archived