This may be common knowledge: NVSR Related

Contessa

I'm sure most people use this little plugin: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34832/?

The New Vegas Stutter Remover, but I'm not sure if a lot of people are aware of the little gem that rests inside its INI file. It is a little line called "bReplaceHeap=0". Apparently it replaces the game's Heap File or whatever it is and if you change it to "bReplaceHeap=1" (turning it on) then it gives your game a performance boost. I was wary of trying this as it seemed risk and the INI warns of possible instability but I figured what the heck and gave it a go anyway.

I can tell you it was one of the best decisions I've made for New Vegas. The performance increase was immediately noticeable and I haven't gone back. For the more technically savvy, there are other options tied to the one I just showed but I've yet to try them.

Basically the point of this topic is to inform people that ticking bReplaceHeap=0 to bReplaceHeap=1 to one will most likely give you a great boost in the game's performance and I've yet to notice any real instability.

Hope this helps some of you. :) Also not sure if this should be in Technical Support or not so sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Some added info that some might find useful based on the OP. It is copied right from the New Vegas Stutter Removers page.

Settings Adjustments:
Default configuration is aimed at maximum stability. The settings are stored in sr_New_Vegas_Stutter_Remover.ini, in the Data/NVSE/Plugins Folder. The following changes are for maximum performance:
1. [Recommended] In the "Master" section, change bReplaceHeap from 0 to 1. If crashes result, go to the "Heap" section and change iHeapAlgorithm from 6 to 5, 3, or 2. If you have used a 4GB / LAA enabler (which I recommend), then in the "Heap" section also change iHeapSize from 250 to, oh, 450 is probably enough.

• 7 months later...

I don't know if falout uses the same HEAP system as skyrim has (1 big block and a smaller second one) but i have set mine to 384 (just for the +128 sake :D), i was about to change to 512 because that's what i did for skyrim too for the main block (ssme mod btw). I thought best not put it too high since it might crash the game too, also because fallout nv s kinda cranky when it comes to mods ;).

Archived