Television Shows...

Guest xthejester

TNG is my favorite... from season 3 onwards. A lot of people say season 1 "felt like the original Star Trek" and that's my problem; I'm not a fan of the original series. The movies* maybe, but not the show. Season 2 of TNG pushed me away because of doctor Pulaski; it felt like a cheap attempt to bring back the whole Bones/Spock dynamic with her and Data. It was too forced and didn't do anything for me.

I can't say anything about DS9 because I haven't seen much of it, but I know that I should because of the whole war thing that consumed most of its later seasons.

* The fifth movie is a steaming pile, but I would take that over the shit that was the 2009 Star Trek or Into Darkness. Fuck those movies and fuck JJ Abrams. I'm sure he'll ruin the new Star Wars films worse than Lucas, too. But then again, the only Star Wars movie I liked was Empire Strikes Back, so meh.

Who are you? Do I have another version of myself posting here? :lol:  Almost everything you say is true...

TNG - Best of all Star trek series. I even will say the blasphemy: Data and Picard > Kirk and Spock...

1. TNG - best crew. Awesome intelligent episodes. My childhood...

2. DS9 (Up from season 3 it becomes pretty awesome due to the Dominion finally brought in. Some episodes are of course weak, but which show doesn't have those ones? And yeah, towards the end they miss some opportunities for awesomeness, and Gul Dukat's development isn't really....but all in all the unique approach towards Star Trek is very good. And I never understood why Roddenberry-followers always complain that war has no place in this universe, mankind is peaceful yadda yadda ... mankind has overcome wars...but if war is forced upon them? That's one of the topics DS9 has...

3. The original series ... though simply for some nostalgia...somehow it never had the same effect on me, mostly because I was introduced to Star Trek by Picard (a real Starship captain), not Kirk (the Lovers Lab caricature of a Starship captain... :P )

4. Voyager ... though mainy for a member of the female cast ... an no, NOT Seven of Blonde Bimbo...I always had a crush on B'Ellana Torres...though her taste in men is just horrible...

5. Enterprise ... what a wasted opportunity...just...what a waste!! So much potential and we get a ... Temporal cold war? What the?? And Xindi? And suddenly back in time we have Aliens in Nazi-Uniforms? and a dog in space???? What the ... ? At least T'Pol was kinda hot...though mainly she was a brunette version of Seven of Blonde Bimbo...and the Mirror-Universe-Two-Parter was the best the series had to offer...too bad they never made a series about THAT universe...To boldly conquer space that no one had conquered before! All hail the Terran Empire!!!

I never had much feelings for most of the movies...Movie 2 is good, 4 is funny, 6 is pretty great, 8 is awesome, 10 the last Star Trek movie ever made...oh wait, they made two others with the Star Trek in the title...Reboot is really a swearword these days, due to these kinds of movies...nobody ever needed those movies...

And yeah, Star Wars and overrated Abrams ... at least its not Chris Nolan for Star Wars *shudder* But "I have a bad feeling about this"...

And what you say in a later post about BSG ... again I have to agree :blink:  I was stunned at first, mainly due to the cool battles and look, as well as the new realistic take on a trashy original ... but what ruined it for me was this whole silly doppelganger/clones/cylons thingy + overly religious themes...that never really kept me interested...I only read about the last episode on Wikipedia ... well, at least on paper it makes kinda sense to me, at least the "state" of Earth explains a lot ... but again this whole Human Cylons bullshit etc .. no thank you

*sigh* I wish there would be a good Sci Fi series again...but I guess instead of fun characters and awesome battles we might get an elderly Alien on some human-like-planet who is about to die and therefore starts to create a new super-drug, becomes an interstellar crimelord ... many awards already inbound for this unique premise I suppose :rolleyes:

rather than make another thread, I think it's better if I ask it here.

Did anyone know the title of this tv series, I think it's take place in the future, it's about police that can change into wearing a futuristic armor by placing their right wrist to their left chest, I think it's an american 90's show... because I still a child at that time..

I watch lots of documentaries,Ghost Adventures and Sons of Anarchy.I just couldn't get into "The Walking Dead" cause they would be going by numerous cars,

military vehicles,gun stores Etc. but always seemed to be concerned about ammo and vehicles breaking down.I know it's Sci Fy but not realistic enough for me.

This coming from a guy who watches Ghost Adventures, LOL 

Guest xthejester

I watch lots of documentaries,Ghost Adventures and Sons of Anarchy.I just couldn't get into "The Walking Dead" cause they would be going by numerous cars,

military vehicles,gun stores Etc. but always seemed to be concerned about ammo and vehicles breaking down.I know it's Sci Fy but not realistic enough for me.

I reached my limit with those Ghost Hunting shows, when I saw one where a team went to Pompeii to try and contact the ghosts there.

Alright..I can play along that ghosts exist.

I can play along that they may be able to be recorded in some way.

I CAN'T play along when the supposed ghosts of ancient Romans respond in English.

I know a good many of you aren't from the U.S. But I am wondering what some of your favorite current television programs are.

For me, the shows I'm currently watching are Justified, Hannibal, Community, Shameless, True Detective, The Walking Dead, Revolution, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Blacklist, The Following, and Bones (when it starts airing again).

Friday's season premiere of Hannibal opened with an awesome fight sequence.

For movie buffs...Imagine Morpheus from the Matrix, fighting One-Eye from Valhalla Rising (Lawrence Fishburne vs. Mads Mikklesen).  It was pretty damn awesome for a regular network program.

You are missing out on the best, which is House of Cards. 'I pray to myself for myself'-epic. As of Hannibal, my latest silly obsession  is building a kitchen that looks as close as possible to his, as soon as I get home, I want 8 of everything. I saw an episode of A of S & it's plain silly.

Another fantastic movie without the usual 300ish Hollywood bollocks is 'Coriolanus', a fantastic reinterpretation of Shakespeare's work.

Guest xthejester

I know a good many of you aren't from the U.S. But I am wondering what some of your favorite current television programs are.

For me, the shows I'm currently watching are Justified, Hannibal, Community, Shameless, True Detective, The Walking Dead, Revolution, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Blacklist, The Following, and Bones (when it starts airing again).

For movie buffs...Imagine Morpheus from the Matrix, fighting One-Eye from Valhalla Rising (Lawrence Fishburne vs. Mads Mikklesen).  It was pretty damn awesome for a regular network program.

You are missing out on the best, which is House of Cards. 'I pray to myself for myself'-epic. As of Hannibal, my latest silly obsession  is building a kitchen that looks as close as possible to his, as soon as I get home, I want 8 of everything. I saw an episode of A of S & it's plain silly.

Another fantastic movie without the usual 300ish Hollywood bollocks is 'Coriolanus', a fantastic reinterpretation of Shakespeare's work.

Coriolanus is excellent.

May as well jump in here as well with some categorized favorites.

Comedy:MASH and How I met your mother (funniest damn shows ever!)

Horror: The Walking Dead (There has never been another TV show that even qualifies for that category)

War:Black Sheep Squadron and again MASH (best episode silent from  patients POV)

Infotainment: Top Gear UK the US version really sucks

Sci-Fi:Star Trek TNG, Voyager, Deep Space 9 (My fav among treks) Stargate SG-1, first 4 seasons of Stargate Atlantis

and lastly my favorite series of all time, that I re-watch in it's entirety once a year. Babylon 5 (even the 5th season that was ruined by idiots wanting to compress the show into 4yr's instead of it's original 5yr schedule) And I am still waiting for a B5 movie covering the telepath war damnit!

I jumped into the world of Kamen Rider proper (as in not the horrible Masked Rider from the Power Rangers craze era or Dragon Knight) with Decade, since it crossed over with Shinkenger, then on the advice of a friend I started Kuuga,

I've only seen 2 episodes of Kuuga, but I already like it way more than Decade, which I've seen 10 episodes of.

Coriolanus is excellent.

Just a movie but a good example of what happens when ‘civilians’ don’t understand the dynamic of power, authority & Hobbes’s social contract. Far-fetched? Not really.

‘Banish your defenders, your nobles, one by one till you yourselves remain alone..preserving only yourselves, alone remaining having banished those who would be your defenders.’

‘Peace is apoplexy.’ That moda fucka resonates.

Btw I didn’t forget about that thing, but I didn't have patience to translate it. Google tr would just mess up the syntax.

I jumped into the world of Kamen Rider proper (as in not the horrible Masked Rider from the Power Rangers craze era or Dragon Knight) with Decade, since it crossed over with Shinkenger, then on the advice of a friend I started Kuuga,

I've only seen 2 episodes of Kuuga, but I already like it way more than Decade, which I've seen 10 episodes of.

Kuuga is fantastic. I'll warn you now though, the ending feels abrupt and is kinda disappointing, but it isn't offensive in either of those things IMO. The ride was totally worth it.

Also, if you delve further into the other Riders. Avoid Wizard, it's boring as shit and has nothing worth watching in it. It's a waste of time. Also, Kiva is... it's borderline. Ask your friend what he thinks if you decide you're curious but my opinion is it's not worth watching because the protagonist is the biggest pussy ever. The only thing worth seeing is two specific side characters' interactions and Kiva's badass Rider kick and I just saved you so much time with that link.

Other than that, have a ball.

Yeah, he told me to avoid Kiva as well, and after seeing the first OP I'm sure it'll be one of the last things I actually watch. But no amount of warning will put me off from watching at least a little bit, because I get curious. It normally ends with pain, but that's just how I am,

I mean, I'm still hellbent on finishing Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills some day, and that show is a special kind of horrible.

IMO the final battle in the Kuuga is epic.

Even though it's somewhat short....

Guest endgameaddiction

I reached my limit with those Ghost Hunting shows, when I saw one where a team went to Pompeii to try and contact the ghosts there.

Alright..I can play along that ghosts exist.

I can play along that they may be able to be recorded in some way.

I CAN'T play along when the supposed ghosts of ancient Romans respond in English.

I don't believe any of those ghost shows. Watched enough of them to just laugh at.

I have personal experience with them in the past, but I don't expect anyone to believe that. Even if I told them my very own home is haunted.

The stuff I see on TV, however, seems to be a load of crap. A friend and I actually wanted to do our own type of ghost hunters, except off air. We wanted to travel to ghost towns and check out homes.

I used to research this stuff. I did a lot of research on ruins in Europe and old fortesses and even castles. Remarkable stories and tales. That kind of stuff thrills me.

I used to love a ghost series here in the UK called Most Haunted. A presenter, a medium, a parapsychologist and the camera and production team would spend a night in one of the UK's (and later other countries'/regions') supposedly most haunted places and investigate with nightvision cameras. Editors, producers and even the poor makeup artist would be sent off in teams or on their own, filming themselves and each other getting absolutely terrified out of their minds. One regular team member lost all his hair, eyebrows and all, because he spent so much of his life being scared witless!

Most of it was easily explainable stuff, and the true entertainment came from watching how human beings reacted to complete terror (I'm such an evil bitch! :lol:) Every now and then, though, they came up with something truly weird. One guy slept through a night in a haunted hotel room with a locked-off camera filming throughout. When they played the footage back the next day at high speed, an armchair was clearly moving backwards and forwards without anything touching it. Either very well staged or something that needed sending forth into "the light!"  :huh:

I have had a couple of "supernatural" experiences, when I was little. One can be explained away by isolated sleep paralysis, or Old Hag Syndrome. The other... No clue what it could have been other than a child's overactive imagination.

As for current shows, I'm only watching True Detective right now, which I think has a couple of episodes left over here. Great stuff! And I'm almost finished with a Game of Thrones seasons 1-3 recap marathon in preparation for the new series next week.

• 2 months later...

Absolute best in years for me is True Detectives IMBD say 9.4 rating i almost wanne give it a 10.

Woody Harrelson/Metthew McConaughey are extremely good actors and its if they are made for each other to make this series. Sadly its only 8 episodes but some damn good 8 hours.

The Walking Dead fourth season was again awesome and that for fourth season i say is extremely well done i loved it.

Orphan Black i also enjoyed alot very well done and Tatiana Maslany is superb playing all those characters i loved it.

Walking Dead has plot armor made of diamonds with zero subtlety to boot, I finally dropped it the moment I saw Dixon take out a fucking tank. Shit's getting ridiculus beyond all measure. Next thing you know, he'll be taking out drones with a slingshot.

On the subject of good shows, I think Ray Donovan starts in a couple days.

Archived