Why does Nvidia take so long to install?

Loyotaemi

Tried to play a game with some friends yesterday and we had to hold up cuz one of them was still installing his drivers. It took quite a while. He just waited it out but it shows that it's not an isolated problem. Can't attest because I have an AMD, but I'm sure that there's more people out there.

Well, it may be a problem more with my computer anyway. Im about to reinstall windows because my computer is going bonkers. I ran an anti virus yesterday and about to again most likely, but gonna just wipe and start over and see if that helps. Realized this because my connection is good but I can't even download dota 2 because apparently windows is 'busy'. Hope this doesn't mean the hard drive itself is failing, however.

Its a 3 gb/s Hard drive.

Now a little worried as it is this brand here : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148337

Apparently It has a high failure rate. . . I purchased mines in 2010. (Four years of running). That and its running very slow, stuff is not functioning properly and overall not working. hoping it will not occur after I reinstall windows, but my hopes are low.

Ah, Seagate.... I don't know why, but I always had problems with their HDDs. But the 3 GB/s setup, is a bit slower than the 6 GB/s (120 MB/s sustained data rate compared to 210 MB/s. 90 MB/s difference). I used to run Windows XP on the 500 GB version, before going with Western Digital and their 6 GB/s HDDs (it still works like a charm, even as a secondary drive).

Does anyone else Have a problem with Nvidia drivers taking forever to actually install? It literally takes me an hour or two for some of the newer drivers.

No, but it could be a more serious underlying OS issue that's causing it, or even hardware itself.  Bad codeword writes to the drive will make it slow to a crawl, that in itself could be hardware, drivers, or software, or all of the above.  But you can use things like resource monitor, and windows performance toolkit to try tracking it down.

@Mashi I will try and find something to test my HDD after I reinstall windows, then. Does Performance Toolkit include such a thing? Can RAM also contribute to this problem?

Download some Utility Software that reads SMART data (E.g CrystalDiskInfo) and see what it says.

Hard disk don't just die over night, it usually occur with months of problem (SMART will give you a clue).

Other things to look at includes:

1. the possibility of software that eats up your system resources.  These includes:

1.1 Tootbar (at the top of your browser) <- having one or two really slows down your system.

1.2 Anti-virus <- believe it or not.  Anti-virus are virus themselves, although they are generally trustworthy, but they do eat up a lot of resources to protect you.  Its like whenever you want to open a file, antivirus will check to make sure it's safe before you and if you are dealing with a massive zip that contains multiple files (like Nvidia's driver setup files), that's even worst.

2. The available resources in your system.  Surely an i5-4670 with 16Gb ram will have a lot more resources than a Pentium E6300 with 2Gb ram.

3. Messed up registry

4. Ram problem.

... Good luck.

Just as vandals01 said, get CrystalDisk and see what comes out, and do it as soon as possible.

There are signs associated with a hard drive failing, slowing down is one of them, but if you're like me and never encountered it before it can come as a surprise (never noticed any errors with mine until my computer BSOD'ed and was completely dead after that, albeit a random cheap one that came with my DELL XPS8100, it was only 3 years old).

Back everything up on another drive before you do any maintenance such as defrag etc. 

If you're getting a SSD I highly suggest that you get a secondary HDD as well. SSDs are fast as hell but you don't want to write to them too much as they wear out faster that way. Keep games and general stuff on a second HDD and Windows and a few select games on the SSD.

Well, I dont know how to run this thing, but it told me that my main drive (the one I was having problems with) was 'caution'. It listed 100 as uncorrectable and 99 as 'reallocated Sectors count' . . . Um, im scared because those are big numbers.

Edit: ok, i read it wrong. 54 Sectors are Reallocated , 1 pending , and one is uncorrectable.

To note, I did get everything installed fine And Nvidia took less than 2.5 hours. (2 minutes maybe)

Having a large amount of Reallocated sectors -CAN- be a sign of HDD degeneration but it's not "a huge red sign marking the last seconds before inevitable doom". When a read/write attempt fails the hard drive tries to reallocate that data to a different sector on the disc and then marks the faulty sector as damaged, practically placing it under quarantine. 

There are different things that can cause a sector to fail, it could've been damaged during the manufacturing process, in which case it won't "spread", OR it could be the disc itself degenerating due to age or general wear & tear. If a sector is damaged due to the latter, it's highly probable that nearby sectors are going to fail soon as well. In CrystalDiscInfo you can spot this because the Reallocated Sector Count/RAW-value increases consistently and sometimes rapidly.

Since it's the first time you run CrystalDiscInfo there's nothing to compare with, you can think of it as checking a person for fever, peoples' body temperature differ from person to person and the only way to be sure is to have a "healthy" value for comparison. 

In short:

Check it with CrystalDiscInfo every time you boot up the computer and see if the value increases consistently over about a week or so. If you have any valuable data and -really- don't want to loose any of it, get an external drive/new internal right away and back it up.

It could be noteworthy that some people choose to make another back-up of their drive as soon as they see that value change from the "factory values". I say "another" since these people generally already have all their data backed-up, something everybody should do but not everybody does :P.

Edit: I'm by no means a professional hard drive technician, take everything I write on the matter as thoughts from an amateur and try to do a bit of research on your own ;).

1.2 Anti-virus <- believe it or not.  Anti-virus are virus themselves, although they are generally trustworthy, but they do eat up a lot of resources to protect you.  Its like whenever you want to open a file, antivirus will check to make sure it's safe before you and if you are dealing with a massive zip that contains multiple files (like Nvidia's driver setup files), that's even worst.

Depends on what type antivirus -- the big-name antiviruses (Norton, McAfee), which were once good, have become bloatware -- forcing me to use Avira Free as a light alternative, along with adware/malware removal utilities.

All noted. I admit, My ram is very crappy even though I have large amounts (16gb at 1600mhz? but its g.skill basic stuff and Its very finnicky).

Anti virus = virus? I guess that is what kaspersky feels like. . . I have no idea why I even still use it, but I just didn't find one that was great. maybe Il check around.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived